EARTHQUAKE IN JAPAN

http://www.v2p.jp/video/english/
This is an old project by the japanese goverment so people can watch japanese tv channels. I've been using it to keep track of the earthquake news directly, bypassing the need to use bbc as a second hand source. If you can understand japanese, I would suggest using this to keep track. There is a goverment channel called Disaster Information on there, it has a constant stream of data of the entire incident.
author=Hoddmimir
It's amazing to think that water is what manages to cause all this damage more than the earth shaking and tearing apart.

not really, IMO...water can be life-giving or taking. it is a terrifyingly powerful force, no joke.

EDIT:
You can also watch Fuji and NHK news live on nico nico douga, much easier.
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv43120232
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv43092806
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
NHK's reporting that the magnitude of the Japan earthquake has been revised to 9.0m (from 8.8m) after re-evaluation. o_o
That was scary, and I am safe.

Couldn't get home Friday though, but a minor inconvenience comparably speaking.
Starscream
Conquest is made from the ashes of one's enemies.
Glad to hear you're safe Canuck. Honestly, your current status was one of the first things that crossed my mind after I witnessed the devastation on the news.
author=KingArthur
NHK's reporting that the magnitude of the Japan earthquake has been revised to 9.0m (from 8.8m) after re-evaluation. o_o

9.0!

Holly!
Thanks holbert. I live in the city where there was huge explosions, but I couldn't get back that day, and it didn't affect where I live. The affected area was evacuated for a night just in case, but everything is now back to normal.

Only problem we face is probable big aftershocks. Gotta get on with life despite knowing they will come.
LEECH
who am i and how did i get in here
Shi- 9.0? And i was thinkin the new zealand one of like 6.somethin was big.

author=Creation
EDIT: Along the ''I don't have 10 bucks but I have shitloads of videogames, the internet, a ps3, a recent PC...'' That's also a classic of maturity.

I now have $10 woo! Ill probebly donate it, not through that messaging service tho.
Also- My PC is quite old, i have relitivily few videogames, and no ps3.
Good news Canuck, hope the aftershocks won't cause much trouble.
author=KingArthur

yeah they have been revising it ever since it happened. there's a lot of data to be analysed and even then it's always just going to be a more accurate estimate
glad to hear you're ok, canuck.

Btw, here is another cool charity to donate to that you may already know.
Save the Children has just sent emergency response teams to Japan. As the name implies, its mission is to aid the children (and families) affected by this disaster and attend to their specific needs. They will provide basic help as well as "child-friendly spaces" where kids can play and try to recover from this traumatic event, while freeing up their parents to attend to other things. Please consider donating, any amount helps.

Save the Children (Emergency Fund for Children in Japan)
I am thinking about going back there to help out with the rebuilding. Apparently the prime minister of japan has announced that the will rebuild a majority of the damage in the next year to two years time.

Correction Edit: I was mistaken, he said they were going to build a new japan that would hopefully be complete in two years time.
But it really wasn't all that bad. I didn't feel the need to donate because unlike Haiti or Chile, Japan has all of the necessary procedures and engineering to withstand an Earthquake and Tsunami. Sure 10,000 people died and the coasts got muddied up, but it could have been far worse if they weren't as prepared.

I'm also surprised to see so many jump on my opinion!!! I thought this place had a huge variety of ideas and people.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
Japan has all of the necessary procedures and engineering to withstand an Earthquake and Tsunami.
Earthquake wise, Japan has always had that angle covered pretty nicely. What really did them in were the 7~10m high tsunami waves that collided the majority of the Japan east coast and charged inland, taking out (among other things) shelters, airports, docks and shipyards, and power plants all around; no one was expecting tsunamis of such magnitude and ferocity.
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
http://www.blip.tv/file/4880623

This guy i know tells what he thinks.
Yeah the tsunami really hit hard, the earthquake was just an appetizer I don't think anyone could have been prepared to be served that hard. I think they might build huge tsunami proof domes or something I don't know... Japan has its way of innovating themselves to a whole-nother level. This could be the start of rebuilding an even stronger east coast.

Apparently some citys and towns where nearly un-affected, those must be some really strong earthquake resistant buildings.
There was a 6.2 aftershock recorded recently (among the hundreds of aftershocks so far). Glad to hear you're okay, Canuck.
Starscream
Conquest is made from the ashes of one's enemies.
author=Emanzi
Yeah the tsunami really hit hard, the earthquake was just an appetizer I don't think anyone could have been prepared to be served that hard. I think they might build huge tsunami proof domes or something I don't know... Japan has its way of innovating themselves to a whole-nother level. This could be the start of rebuilding an even stronger east coast.

Apparently some citys and towns where nearly un-affected, those must be some really strong earthquake resistant buildings.

I recently read an article in the New York Times about some of the innovative mitigation measures Japan has been using to lessen the impact of an earthquake or a tsunami:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/12/world/asia/12codes.html?_r=1

I am particularly interested in these types of things. However, they are typically only found in newer buildings. Also, no tsunami proof domes... though they do have a lot of buildings meant to withstand a tsunami and allow for a "vertical" evacuation.
author=Radnen
But it really wasn't all that bad. I didn't feel the need to donate because unlike Haiti or Chile, Japan has all of the necessary procedures and engineering to withstand an Earthquake and Tsunami. Sure 10,000 people died and the coasts got muddied up, but it could have been far worse if they weren't as prepared.

I'm also surprised to see so many jump on my opinion!!! I thought this place had a huge variety of ideas and people.

RMN has great variety of ideas and people, but thankfully it appears we only have one Radnen.

dude. listen. of course it's great that the death toll wasn't tenfold worse (thanks to the miracle of modern engineering and disaster preparedness) like the 1923 Kanto earthquake. I agree with the guy in the article you linked that it was a (partial) "triumph of human civilization" vs mother nature. But in any event with a large loss of life, no matter if it takes place in a poor or prosperous nation, help is ALWAYS needed because emergency response teams will always be overwhelmed. This disaster not only had a high cost in human life, but it is also going to put a dent in Japan's already-fragile economy. Sure, they are clearly in a much better position than Haiti, but by virtue of YOU being an safe and unaffected person with surplus wealth, I would hope that whenever a disaster strikes in some part of the world, you at least feel some obligation to help...

I can't help but "jump" on your opinion because it sounds like you don't care about the humanitarian efforts to save the thousands of lives that could be lost, or the hundreds of thousands of lives that have been drastically affected. Whatever dude, just don't get in the way of people trying to help by doing things like discrediting the Red Cross without providing valid evidence (ie cited from reliable sources) to back up your serious claims. If you were just being a troll and trying to push buttons, congrats bro, you succeeded, i mad.

author=benos
http://www.blip.tv/file/4880623This guy i know tells what he thinks.

I wonder where these people are from...maybe it's because half my friends list is asian but everyone was flipping out about Japan and changing their profile pics to "Pray for Japan" ones. I never saw any racist comments until I saw people posting some Americans' fb statuses on 4chan for laughs. These guys are retarded and detrimental to the US' strong friendship with modern allies like Japan and should get sent to Antarctica...hopefully there are few of them.

author=Emanzi
Japan has its way of innovating themselves to a whole-nother level. This could be the start of rebuilding an even stronger east coast.

I think this is a very real and exciting possibility. Maybe man can never fully protect himself from mother nature (at least in our lifetimes), but we've come a long way.
I think it is important to remember that everyone has their own idea about what cause is most important. I would hope that everyone sees this tragedy as being a tragedy along with all other similar situations. However, there are thousands of different causes in the world that deserve support and attention. Obviously no one person can focus on them all. So, Radnen, though your opinion on this topic does not sit perfectly with me, I am willing to accept that this is not the cause for you. I do hope though that there is some other worthy cause that you are putting your money and energy towards when you can. Donate blood, help with neighborhood clean up programs, fundraise for children's hospitals, whatever it is that you care about as long as you are helping with that I think that is acceptable. Another thing to consider though, perhaps if you aren't interested in donating to Japan for this tragedy because the engineering and planning helped so much to lessen the damage, instead why not try to find an engineering or innovation company or cause to support and donate to and help to lessen the damage of future incidents.