EMO REQUIRE: DO RPGS NEED A STORY?

Pages: first prev 12345 last
Has anyone else here played an RPG in a language they don't understand?

To me that's the equivalent of stripping a story out of a game and dropping the player in a massive event driven world with no indication of where to go. yet this still imposes a set of requirements for him/her to fulfill without any hint whatsoever.

An RPG without story is HaaaaAAAaard, but still sometimes, enjoyable. It really depends what you're trying to get out of the game.

(Is there really no spell checker function? or am I blind...)
I beat Legend of Cao Cao blue path in Chinese. The most I knew about the game is that it is based off of Romance of the Three Kingdoms (until... a bit after Chibi? Even that is still based off of the book if you took the red path until Han Zhong since Cao Cao died after that and he can't die there in the game) and a portrait<->name sheet so I knew who was who exactly. It is a TRPG that goes battle->cutscene->battle so you can't exactly get lost and the interface for it is very nice so I could pick up on all the basics without issue.

It was kinda fun trying to figure out what was going on at times!

Browsers nowadays have spell checkers built in to them. Update it and if that doesn't help ask google how to turn it on or if your browser has one or not. Firefox, Opera, and iirc Chrome have it. Not sure about IE9.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Most modern RPGs allow you to skip cutscenes, which I think is probably a better approximation than a foreign language, since if you skip cutscenes it's because you already know where to go. An RPG that was supposed to have no story wouldn't make it hard to figure out where to go, would never require you to talk to people, and would not be event-driven. That doesn't necessarily mean it's linear, though. Roguelikes, Etrian Odyssey games, etc. are good examples of nonlinear games that have no story - they have exploration-driven worlds rather than event-driven worlds.

Final Fantasy 13 meanwhile is a good example of a linear game that would play identically if you removed the story or played it in a foreign language, because exploration-wise there's only ever one thing you can do next. They essentially removed exploration from the game and made it a purely combat-driven game. It's like the RPG equivalent of those SNES/Genesis side-scrolling beat-em-ups that automatically move forward each time you defeat an enemy.

Spellcheck is part of your browser, yo. Don't turn it off if you like using it.
Oh, thanks, I never actually realized browsers have a built in spelling correction function.

Really, a story could be likened to turning on the lights in a darkened room. Nothing is stopping you from enjoying whatever tools, or toys you can manage to find in the dark.

That said, I enjoy a good story, but if I'm just looking to explore/master some new mechanics, I could care less about what strange people have to say.
I love the title of this thread.

For the record I love emo storyline but only when it's done skilfully.
Pages: first prev 12345 last