SO, YOU PLAY MMO'S?

Pages: first 12 next last
I haven't seen any topics about what MMO games people play and I couldn't find the search button (If there even is one) so I made one. Yeah, so what MMO games are you currently playing or do you have any MMO achievements you'd like to mention? For me, it's:

- Tales of pirates: lv51 Crusader (I have a really bad build though, and keep losing in pvp)
- Mechquest: lv 23 (Frankenmech rocks! I'm also star captain)
I used to play SWMud a lot when I was younger. I normally hate text based games, but that game was pretty well made.
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
I used to play Runescape alot but now the account just kicks around. I still log once in a while so it won't disappear or something.

I briefly tried WoW but it turned out to be very boring. I'm glad I didn't fall for it unlike my cousin.
I used to play a lot of mmorpgs, first one was Ragnarok Online on a czech free server. Thanks to the game our family got an internet connection (before that I used to play through phone line, only half an hour a day).

After that, I played like every major free MMORPG game there was.
Rappelz, Flyff, Atlantica, Requiem Bloodymare, Runescape, Cabal Online, Runes of Magic, and many many MANY others.

From pay-to-play games, I played:
Aion, Guild Wars, WoW.

Looking back though, with the exception of Guild Wars, and, to a lesser extent, WoW, none of these games managed to hold my attention, and I usually played solo(sometimes in guilds). It's all just a bunch of grindfests, and I can't see how I enjoyed these games when I was younger. I guess I was easier to entertain back then.

Nowaydays though, the only MMO I sometimes fire up is Guild Wars, the only MMORPG game that I can say I LOVE. Story driven campaign with the ability to play through the whole game with only NPC heroes/henchmen. And the tactical gameplay is great.

I will definitely get GW 2 when it comes out.

But other than that, this type of games doesn't do it for me anymore, they require incredible ammounts of grinding, and are massive time sinks. I'd rather waste those hours on single-player rpgs, like Disgaea 3, and soon, Disgaea 4 (oh yeah), where grinding is at least fun. Or normal games, like typical rpgs, shooters, puzzle games etc.

Also, these games require your full attention during raiding/questing or guild activities, so if a RL issue comes up, or you just want to pause the game and come back later, your character is screwed, as is your whole raiding party. I never managed to level up beyond lvl 40 is WoW, simply because the end-game revolves around raiding, sometimes multiple hours that require your full concentration. And that wasn't something to look forward to.

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=tpasmall
I used to play SWMud a lot when I was younger. I normally hate text based games, but that game was pretty well made.

Hell yes, MUDs can rock on occasion. SWMud is a good one. Being able to talk to the creators of a game while you're playing it is hella cool, and the small number of players lets them do a lot of things that can never be done in a real MMO, like special gameplay events that are GMed by an admin or even by a player. I must obligatorily point out that I both play and help run the Unofficial Squaresoft MUD, which is still under active development and getting new players every day after 12 years and counting. (see my profile)

I have a character on World of Warcraft on what I believe has been one of the five lowest ranked servers in the world consistently for three straight years (out of over two hundred servers total; rankings are based on how far people have gotten in the hardest content). Being in such a crappy server is annoying sometimes, but feels like the way the game should be played - there's never anyone to drag you through content, you have to figure it out yourself and it usually takes thirty to fifty attempts to kill each boss for the first time and nothing ever goes off without a hitch. Everything is always a serious challenge and I love it. I have stopped actually raiding though because I can't be arsed to actually schedule my video game time around other people. For a while I was in a guild that had roughly 150 raiding members and raids were done on a "raid tonight at 7 PM, first twenty-five people to log on get to come" basis. That was great, I need to find another one of those.

Kingdom of Loathing isn't actually an MMO, it's more of an online single player game that lets players buy and sell items amongst each-other, but I play it every day for some reason. Addictive. I have remorted like 30 times, and gotten to the point where I can beat the Naughty Sorceress and remort in under two weeks.
author=SmileWithStyle
But other than that, this type of games doesn't do it for me anymore, they require incredible ammounts of grinding, and are massive time sinks. I'd rather waste those hours on single-player rpgs, like Disgaea 3, and soon, Disgaea 4 (oh yeah), where grinding is at least fun. Or normal games, like typical rpgs, shooters, puzzle games etc.

This is why I don't play MMOs much anymore and also Disgaea 4 has pvp in it, just like MMOs where you raid other peoples pirate ships. I'm not sure how that's going to work though but I heard you can't fight characters that are way higher leveled than you.

Disgaea 2 had a system breaking trick that I found which lets you recruit a lv 9999 character early in the game by taking advantage of the enemy level up squares. This was because no matter how much an enemy leveled up there HP would stay the same making them very easy to catch. I managed to kill Laharl, who is a side boss in a single hit because of this.
<OFF-TOPIC WARNING>

I will play it offline anyways, don't care much for pvp, just like in Demon's Souls (and sometime in future, Dark Souls perhaps). But the option is there.

And Disgaea is about exploiting the game to level up fast anyways :D Though that "issue" you describe seems a little too cheap. Then again, you could level up in D3 from 1 to 9999 just by big-banging HoO 4 twice on LoC (matter of seconds). With the right items of course (never leveled up that high myself, but saw a youtube video of it... I only got to like lvl 580 in D3).
Champions Online all the way! The level grind can get pretty dull due to there being only a handful of different areas in the game. It doesn't take long to level at all, but the lack of variety in areas to level in can make the experience very tedious. However, the community is quite good. The customization is also by far my favourite in any game ever.

I've tried returning to WoW a few times, but it feels incredibly boring and dated these days. Also nobody I talk seems to play anymore, so that makes it even more boring. Whenever I resubscribe to WoW, I end up cancelling my subscription only a few days later.
author=LockeZ
author=tpasmall
Hell yes, MUDs can rock on occasion. SWMud is a good one.

Who were you on SWMud? I was Dalaran.
I have played just about all the big name, subscription based MMOs with the exception of Star Trek Online and DC Online Universe.

Recently, however, after changes made to FFXI I, for the fourth time (the other three ending in me quitting within a couple weeks), gave the game one more chance, saying it would be the last. Suddenly, with all of the changes to leveling (taking out a majority of the awful grind), I find myself wanting to play it with whatever small amount of free time I can come by lately.

Definitely surprised.
author=SmileWithStyle
<OFF-TOPIC WARNING>

I will play it offline anyways, don't care much for pvp, just like in Demon's Souls (and sometime in future, Dark Souls perhaps). But the option is there.

And Disgaea is about exploiting the game to level up fast anyways :D Though that "issue" you describe seems a little too cheap. Then again, you could level up in D3 from 1 to 9999 just by big-banging HoO 4 twice on LoC (matter of seconds). With the right items of course (never leveled up that high myself, but saw a youtube video of it... I only got to like lvl 580 in D3).

lol, I always thought it was just lousy beta testers.
I'll probably be playing Diablo 3 when it comes out.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=kentona
I'll probably be playing Diablo 3 when it comes out.

^
When I was young (and pretty foolish), I played a very old MMO named "Nexus: Kingdom of the Winds". It had some really interesting concepts that I think would still set it apart from many MMOs today, had it not been more or less ruined by its parent company as time passed, resulting in the loss of 80% of its community. Now, well, its very well-developed world is quite barren.

Oh well... Players do quit when you don't listen to them and their complaints (some of those complaints having existed for years without resolution), isn't that right, Kru?

I also played WoW on-and-off for a few months at a time. It was okay, but never really as engaging as Nexus had been in its prime.
Rhyme
Tear Harvester Rhyme
author=ElectricalKat
When I was young (and pretty foolish), I played a very old MMO named "Nexus: Kingdom of the Winds". It had some really interesting concepts that I think would still set it apart from many MMOs today, had it not been more or less ruined by its parent company as time passed, resulting in the loss of 80% of its community. Now, well, its very well-developed world is quite barren.

I vaguely remember playing that! It was called Nexia here though. I played it often with my cousin when I was still around 6.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
Played a good deal of Runescape and Ragnarok Online, with considerable PVP experience in the latter. Those were fun times before I finally got exhausted of endless grindfests.

Nowadays I end up trolling the idiots quick to jump on the "i h8 runescape" bandwagon, or people who have no idea what they're doing in RO. Oh well. ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
I don't hate runescape... I HATE THE BOTS! And it does get boring after a while, just due to the pcs walking speed...
I just found out that Dragon Quest 10 is going to be an MMO (Although, apparantly it has some offline aspects). Why does Square Enix think this is a good idea? (probably money) They've been turning lots of their main series games into MMO's like FF11 and FF14. I just wish that Square Enix would stop making MMO's and FF sequels like FF10-2 (Pure fan service) and FF13-2 and FF4-the after years and instead make a whole new single player FF main series game.
because they need money.

FFXIII cost a shit-tonne of money to develop, and I think they are still hurting from the financial disaster that was FF: The Spirits Within.

I think it is a retarded move too. But I think my biggest beef with it is not that they are making an MMO - that's their prerogative - but that the MMOs are part of the main numbered series. I know that's a kind of silly sentiment... but why wasn't it just FF Online I & II, and Dragon Quest Online?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Simple. Makes the MMO sell better.

Also makes future games in the main series sell worse, though. But that's a problem for someone else in the future, and doesn't affect the salary bonus of the guys in charge of FF14's marketing, who are more interested in getting a raise this year than in the company's future or integrity.

They have long since financially recovered from Spirits Within, though. Hell, they made that movie before they merged with Enix.
Pages: first 12 next last