WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT? (GAME DEVELOPMENT EDITION)

Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
maybe you're overthinking it

maybe you don't need a blue mage

maybe there are better questions than "how do I force this mechanic into my game"

EDIT: And I'm at the top of the page.

I'm thinking about how I'm going to integrate story and gameplay, in terms of unveiling new chunks of the game/story. Right now my idea is as follows:

-You find a new dungeon on the expansive world map
-You do a "scouting mission" that utilizes a set party, usually including a guest character that you can recruit after completing the mission or later on in the game
-The scouting mission is a small version of the dungeon, involving the same enemies/difficulty to give you a taste of them, and ends when you find the Dungeon Card
-Throughout the mission, the set-in-stone party interacts in a linear fashion in order to progress their stories
-Back at the hub city, you can spend your Edifice Points that you earn by running dungeons in order to activate the Dungeon Card, unlocking the full version of that dungeon for replayable, randomized, open-party goodness
-There are three full-party dungeons that require you to have recruited a few specific characters and afterword open up new areas on the world map, meaning that you must have at least done the scouting missions for a few previous dungeons

I don't know if that made any sense, but it's what I'm thinking about/tooling with. The game is a non-linear adventure with a linear storyline, neither of which I'm willing to sacrifice.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Did you just call me out for overthinking things in the "what are you thinking about" topic

seriously

okay then, just making sure, that's cool I guess
Craze
There is a difference between thinking and overthinking. You've been struggling with this for some time. Occasionally, the answer is simply to let go.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Honestly the problem is not overthinking so much as procrastinating.

Also the fact that I have eight hours a day during which I have access to forums but not to RPG Maker. And then I get home and play Etrian Odyssey instead of doing the things I thought of for my game.
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
At the moment, I'm making a basic enemy AI for my ABS in RM2K3. Right now, the enemy detects you within a radius of 10 tiles and ceases attempting to fight you if you go far away. They also begin attacking if you're in a 1 tile radius.
Might as well implement magic attacks for them later.

Next up: Basic party member AI.
author=emmych
I realize this was from like... 5 days ago, but whatever. XD

@Archeia: MAAAAAN Disney movies have romance in them! Just because it's a homosexual romance doesn't suddenly make it more perverse or something! XDDDD

And like... if it promotes character development and makes the story more interesting (especially if it's the two characters I think it is...?), GO FOR IT. I did I similar thing (that I think I told you about one time ages ago?), and it made my story like a million times more interesting and my characters fifty bajillion times cooler. ;w;

Yes it's the two characters you're thinking about <:3c
I've been doing some research and homosexual/lesbian relationships are pretty common nowadays? I guess I'm worried over nothing hahaha
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
author=Ashley_Lacure
@Yellow Magic: I demand proof of disgustingness.

You're the boss. (To be fair, I didn't do much more than simple recolouring, but even that turned out awful - oh man, the first character set)
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
WORLD DESCRIPTION:
Time Period: Medieval
Shaping Force: Magick & Elemental Stones
Population: Mostly Human

Ecology:
Main Climate: Humid Continental
Ocean: 76% of planet, non-playable.
Mountains: Most landmass is covered in them.
Frequent Trouble: Heat Waves, Snowstorms, Famine & Drought,
Wilderness: 70% of landmass in uninhabited.
Natural Resources: Many, (most potential resources are not used currently)

Magic:
Occurence: Widespread
Source: The Elemental Stones
Major Use: Battle
Viewed: With respect, a small portion of population can actually use it.
Enchanted Items: Common

Politics
Political Structure: Monarchy
Popular Issue: Territory
Stability: All are solid except Lobradia, which can break at the right disturbance.
Personal Freedoms: Many
Scandals: Fairly Common(about once every year)
Foreign Relations: (Between Kingdoms) Horrible

Culture:
Highly Values: Strength
Known For: Secret places, and hidden races.
Popular Entertainment: Talking, Brawling.
Most Respected Profession: Government Official
Discrimination: Race based.
Major Social Ill: Discrimination

Religion:
Type: Elespritism
Focus: Calming the elements
Worship: Mass prayer when in need, monthly prayers are practiced by Lobradians.
Associated Artforms: Shrines dedicated to the elemental spirits.
Prevalence: Believed by 9/10 people.
Holidays: Few

Economy:
Main Resource: Wood, Kentstone,
Trade: There is much trade despite their horrible relations, mostly individual trading, not run by the government or major
bazaars.
Strength: Strong, becoming stronger.
Wealth: Unfair, a huge wealth gap, extremely poor working low class, extremely wealthy upper class.

Millitary:
Strength: Strong, Lobradia has the strongest, Victolos the second, and other minor kingdoms falling in line. Lobradia's millitary
is about 4 times as large and 3 times as strong as Victolos's.
Focus: Land
Main Unit: Soldiers
Soldiers: "Guards"
^Main Use^: patrolling,

Population:
Urban: 70%
Rural: 20%
Literacy Rate: 67%
Life Expectancy: 43 years
@LockeZ: I don't really see what the problem is... So what if you miss a skill or two skills? The most useful ones would be very hard to miss if you make them common enough throughout the game. Besides, if there's a special skills that the player definitively needs you can always make them learn it trough a cut-escene or an evented battle. That'd be more interesting than just getting a freebie per area.

Or how about this. Who says blue mages have to learn spells? When they can learn -from- spells. Let's say you have a default Healing spell, but it get's stronger, or more complex the more you watch monsters healing themselves. By the endgame, your healing spell should be at least competent enough, even if you aimed to hastily disable/dispose of monsters. Shouldn't it? ...Dunno, just an idea.

@Craze: That sounds amazing actually. Very well thought out. I don't have much to say, really. But what if the uncovering of the dungeon were more gradual? Let's say that after your initial discovery and scouting mission, you "own" the dungeon, but have to invest on it in order to expand it. e.g. If it's a cave , maybe you can build a minecart line to reach deeper levels or something... nah, probably not.

@Nightowl: Isn't 10 tiles too much? Specially considering the screen is only 15 tiles high. What if I want to get past the enemies instead? 5 tiles (Not counting terrain or other obstacles) is a very narrow space to avoid being detected by the enemies.
LockeZ
@alterego: Being a bit of a completionist at times, and knowing a lot of people who are far moreso than me, it just bothers me that if you miss something, you can't go back and get it later. I guess I could make every learnable skill continue to get used by enemies through the entire game, but picking a point where I just give it to the player and stop worrying about it is easier.

@Adon237: Interesting, you put a lot of thought into your world. I can't say I've ever put an ounce of thought into the economy, ecology or culture in my games. I noticed you didn't include technology, which is the biggest aspect of the setting with which I've caused problems for myself in the past. In Vindication I didn't have a clear understanding when I started of what I wanted the world's technological level to be, nor of what kinds of technology could realistically exist side by side - as a result there are castles and pirates and axes and shotguns and sunglasses and orbital laser cannons. I see you at least listed the era as "medieval," but that is a pretty long time period and a lot of people don't know what technology did and didn't exist during that period. The steam engine and printing press didn't exist until the renaissance, for instance. In the late medieval period, ships became capable of intercontinental travel; before that they had to stay within a certain distance of the coast. Etc.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
edit: herrrrrrrrrrrrp
Debating the use of Kaduki battlers as fillers until I can actually be bothered to sit on my ass long enough to sprite.

Considering stripping the battle system down altogether for now so I can concentrate on the stuff that's actually important. Maybe if I didn't want it to look so pretty I'd be working more on databasing.

...Also trying to convince myself to stop watching YouTube videos long enough to sit down and work on some serious plottage.
Max McGee
Thinking about all of the things in my life that are more important than gams design, and how much I wish that (most) of them weren't there. Because most of them are explicitly horrible.
I haven't made a lot of progress in my game because of actual time issues (no excuse this time), and this is making me extremely depressed.
Craze
I'm wondering about how to write up a topic to discuss pre-determined character traits - for example, you expect the frosty Blizzara chick to be... you know, cold and unemotional, or the redheaded rogue to be feisty. I'm not sure how to frame the discussion, mostly; possibly focusing on "are these important? Should they be fought, and why/why not?"

(my personal opinion: They exist for a reason, use the the hell out of them.)
so....Tropes? Like, why they are good to use, and some of the ways you can tweak them?
Craze
kentona
so....Tropes? Like, why they are good to use, and some of the ways you can tweak them?

Yeah, but specifically for characters/what you immediately assume - and, going beyond TVTropes, how it actually affects the game. For example, you see the guy with long yellow hair and a white robe, and you assume he knows light magic/can heal; imo "breaking" that would hurt your game.

...guess I understand the idea enough to make that topic. I'll do so after class.
Max McGee
I am thinking about all the different kind of gams I mak and how I mak too many kinds of gams to mak all the VIDEOVIDEOVIDEO gams I want to mak.

Mak.
author=Max McGee
I am thinking about all the different kind of gams I mak and how I mak too many kinds of gams to mak all the VIDEOVIDEOVIDEO gams I want to mak.

Mak.

Stop making all kinds of games and mak the ultimate gam.
Max McGee
Tried.

Failed.