WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT? (GAME DEVELOPMENT EDITION)

Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I've been doing some writing for an upcoming project. At some point in the game, there will be a dungeon and encounters. The question becomes when might be a good time to have that dungeon. How much story and background to the characters to have.

Like, I'm kinda worried that I might have too much of an opening before players really start playing. Probably not an opening on the scale of a Suikoden 5, or a Persona 4, by any means. Still, it's something worth considering.
One thing is an RPG about trucker girls delivering cargo across their continent... which is kinda violent filled with crime, and to survive doing that they need good skills and heavily armed trucks which transform into mechs... yeah xD

Also a game about me and feelings, short stuff, mostly a princess who fell from her "sky world" full of machines into a low tech strange land where is is just a nobody and a misfit...
I'm making a lot of progress on my game. enough to the point where I'm thinking of making my own graphics but am so nervous to make the jump! Enemies are easy enough, but battlers, walking sprites, and tilesets are so daunting
Okay, so the musician/band Those Who Ride With Giants has some absolutely PHENOMENAL music, which is atmospheric and inspired by a lot of prog rock bands as well as movie and game scores, and whenever I listen to it I get these visions of a sort of cinematic game-like experience. So, I'm thinking of putting together an atmospheric puzzle platformer, using his music as the soundtrack if I can get his permission to do so. The game would either be non-commercial, or all proceeds would go to him, but basically I just want to take the inspiration his music gives me and give it life. If you haven't heard his music, look it up, it's breathtaking and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

The game itself would use each song as a level soundtrack, with an overarching story that progresses through each album, and could be considered episodic with future episodes and levels released as more music becomes available. Just what I'm thinking about, not sure how the actual execution will go.
Waxius
"Someday I'll finish my game... someday.."
author=Strak
Okay, so the musician/band Those Who Ride With Giants has some absolutely PHENOMENAL music, which is atmospheric and inspired by a lot of prog rock bands as well as movie and game scores, and whenever I listen to it I get these visions of a sort of cinematic game-like experience. So, I'm thinking of putting together an atmospheric puzzle platformer, using his music as the soundtrack if I can get his permission to do so. The game would either be non-commercial, or all proceeds would go to him, but basically I just want to take the inspiration his music gives me and give it life. If you haven't heard his music, look it up, it's breathtaking and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

The game itself would use each song as a level soundtrack, with an overarching story that progresses through each album, and could be considered episodic with future episodes and levels released as more music becomes available. Just what I'm thinking about, not sure how the actual execution will go.

That's actually a very good idea. It's a nice way to share music in a way that brings the experiences and emotions into it. It doesn't even have to be an actual "game"... you could make it a very long cinematic cutscene if you have story to tell. Of course puzzle games with awesome background music is fun.

I'll have to check out the music!
For a while I was working on a game for a while that initially started as "Twisted Destiny" that was inspired by a lot of things. Games I've played like Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Legend of Zelda, 4Gems, Danny's Adventure 1, 2, Call of the Archon. I was trying to make an epic. And indeed, things about Twisted Destiny are epic, though I ended up making it go against the creation story. Eventually it turned into Twisted Fate. It's still a game that maybe someday I can get done. It has a lot going on in the story and I'm trying to make it not too linear, Crystals that were created by the Adamu, a species that pre-existed in Terra, and then given down to the Kings and Queens of Terra, though King Grigori and Sorcerer Barbatos had differences. The Dark World is opened by Barbatos and he joins in legion with the devil god CZERNEBOG and devil lord MEPHISTO where they bane to take over Terra...I wrote the entire thing and it gets very crazy. There were three wars to happen, though the WAR OF THE DEMON MACHINES was the last war, where Barbatos unleashes demons infused with machines and magic that nearly wipes out half the population of Terra, thus King Grigori punishes him into the Dark World never to see the light of mankind again. Though it is not just Barbatos interested, CZERNEBOG and MEPHISTO are slowly creeping back into the world to reclaim 'what is theirs'.... It's not just about Crystal collecting, there's a lot of fighting against the darkness. Because life is about enduring constant shit.

I also had other ideas for games: THE DARK DREAMERS, a "dream game" kinda dissimilar to Twisted Fate but it's about a family who has been separated into the dream fugue where they must restore the dream fugue's natural order, as Morpheus and his (cult?) The Summoners of Memory, need help defeating the nightmare lord MEPHISTOPHELES, though even Morpheus is revealed to be an enemy.

Then, more. LEGENDS OF INFINITE - another RPGMaker2k3 game and comics I was doing around middle school - teenagers summoned into the spiritual world of Infinite where it is a bit like THE STAND where there are those summoned unto the Light Castle, and the Dark Castle, and then those stuck in between in the spiritual world of Infinite. It's kinda funny because I keep repeating similar themes throughout a lot of my games and stories. A really old one I had somewhere that disappeared called FATAL DESTINY (not Twisted Destiny) that was about overcoming a demon named ESTURK (DQ much), then I wanted to redo old games into newer games like NIGHTMARE OF THE ELVEN WORLD and DANNY's ADVENTURE - BEYOND NIGHTMARE OF THE ELVEN WORLD, and DANNY's ADVENTURE 3. I wanted BEYOND to have a more extended magic spells and same with Danny's Adventure because the original people just used the bare minimum most likely because HI I MAKE AN RPG MAKER GAME. :/ DANNY'S ADVENTURE 3 would have been about defeating ISIS and defeating the egyptian gods SET and SOBEK. Maybe. The list grows though. Egh. Thanks writers block, bills, work, life.
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
If I could make a map like this, then I'll be cool. https://www.freem.ne.jp/win/game/14545
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
Back to RPG Maker XV Ace, only on safe mode, since I can't work on the others to test play. Can only use MZ if I just work on my games there. Alter Fate is coming along, only to go though some dialogue fixes. I started over again though playing though the game to get to the latest part of the game, which I hope will continue the story further in.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
It doesn't look like stellar mapping, esp. other screenshots from that project.
yeah i never get the adoration of maps like this because you never really get to see the scope of it ingame and could be a performance hog if there's just enough process heavy events. there are far more impressive games that can stream an endless open world without loading screens and at least 3D has the advantage of angles and vistas. whereas I feel like area to area transitions in an rpgmaker game are more expected with the focus on individual areas being as relatively pretty (and less work for the dev).
I've been thinking about how, even though it's scientifically possible for a unicorn to exist in our world, We say they're not real because there hasn't been one yet... hmmmm...

But really, I've been thinking of different ways to use actor's stats for different things! Like I want to make a weather system that's based on the combination of nearby planets stats in my game's universe, and use actors stats as a their characteristics, and their "level" as their proximity to the world you're on. Here's an example of the stats, I haven't figured out what to name them in game yet:

And I'd just use some conditional branches like, if all the moduloses (?) end in 7, or if stat A is between 230-430 and stat B is less than 180 then execute effect or something. And I would add/subtract the stats of all the planets, their "positions" (level) would affect how they impact the final value.

I also want to use this for location stats like a city, and it's stats would determine things like, criminals appearing, over population, fires starting, high prices, etc.

Ignore the map quality it's a practice one...

What kind of other alternate uses for actor stats would be cool?
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
I'm thinking about how cool Sigh's usage of actor stats for other ingame systems is. That is a fascinating application!
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I had a light bludgeoning of inspiration, in the direction of a possible Myriad Cypher 2. Well, that's the project's name at the moment. I doubt it will be connected to Myraid Cypher at all, with the possible exception of including Lintis Kalt as the protagonist again and because I enjoy making cameos from my own projects.
Two of the games I want to make this year are,
one mystery game about doomed lovers where the player's actions in one setting limit their abilities in the other.
I want it to be a minimalist aesthetic and hopefully something I can do in a month of so.

I also want to work in SRPGStudio and make a sort of micro-fire emblem. Main character is named Sif the Goblin.
I’m thinking what it would be like to come up with a game idea mechanics first, story later. Never done that.
author=John_Ocampos
ai garbage
Gottem~!

As for me, I knew i wouldn't get the final build of Demo 3 up for this coming 11 year anniversary of my game dev collective, but i didn't wanna let people go without something. So i decided to put out a new Demo for Junked as it was fairly well liked and its lax as heck to work on considering it's just an RPG and not one of the crazy bullet hells I make typically.

So I started working on it thinking i'd just get the second stage done for the anniversary, but now I'm almost done with that and still have over two week, so i might be able to get Stage 3 or even stage 4 done, as well! That's 4/6ths of the game if so! All I've got left for Stage 2 is the boss fight and the scene which accompanies it.

So most of my head has been thinking about how to balance this game. Originally the system is that you would get drops from mobs which you would use to level up your stats, a fun little experiment!

A fun little experiment that has NO UPPER LIMIT and utterly TRIVIALIZES the game with enough grinding. The game is funnest when you're under-built than the opposite. So I might need to force some restrictions or come up with a different method for building character strength.

Got my big THONK on!