WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT? (GAME DEVELOPMENT EDITION)

Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
calunio
Explaining too much is not always a good thing, though.

Everything in moderation and plenty of it, yes, but making a game accessible goes beyond explanation and into intuition/design/flow/interfaces/button mapping/visibility/etc.

If you need a ton of explanation, you might have made a few wrong turns trying to drive to Smooth Gameplay-ville. (That was a metaphor, all right.)
author=Craze
This is, like, the most important aspect of game design. A game is made for a player, yet so many devs, indie and commercial alike, decide to forget that entirely.

It seems so basic, once the light bulb finally goes off. It sort of makes me feel bad about the nigh impenetrable text adventures I tortured friends and family with when I was younger.

Recently, I've also come to see the value of save points. My demo for the RS11 event has my preferred method of save-anywhere, but during the final test plays, I realized that without save points, there was no indication for the player when an important fight was coming up, making it really easy to just stumble into it with low health and exhausted mp. I tried to work warnings into the game, mixing in-character dialog with *Note:You should use this to re-charge and not die* type call downs from the developer's throne. In the end, I'm not really sure if that is any less of an interruption to game flow than a traditional save point would be.

It is making me re-think the whole "Safe Room" concept I had planned for another project.
I think with good map design you can subtlety tell the player when it's a good time to save without using save points. There's action adventure games where you sometimes find yourself in a big open arena and you know there's going to be a boss fight soon. You can replicate this in your dungeon design. In Legend of Jipang (I had a computer crash and accidentally closing the wrong program with it so far, twice I lost progress :( ) I haven't decided between save anywhere and have Dr. Chada serve as save points but in any case the final dungeon hints at where the boss is. Eventually at the end you emerge on the roof, the music stops besides the wind, there's no more encounters, an open area with a small shrine in the middle, and at no point does the game enter a cutscene without the player's intervention. The player has to initiate it, it isn't triggered by walking through a door (really big imposing looking doors work well for "don't go through here until you're ready" sign too) or stepping on an invisible trigger.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
author=NewBlack
author=Max McGee
new project.
..What?!

I will stop making games when people start playing them.

I mean...what?

I'm just wishing I had more time/energy to devote to RPG Makering lately.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
All this script writing makes me want to write a Noire point and click adventure detective game. That would be mad cool.
Rule of thumb for finishing games: when in doubt about two possible design choices that have minor impact on the game, go with the quickest one.
Max McGee
This weekend, I used how to use the most basic rudiments of CSS and how to use Paint.Net to create text and/or graphics without a horribly ugly unintended outline or fringe of pixels, thanks to layers and transparency.

Hooray!
Keep it up, Max ;)

- - -

I once thought of an alternative to character progression:
Instead of your character getting stronger throughout the game, he gets more and more handicaps (typically lowered stats and harder gameplay mechanics) because he suffers from a deadly disease.
The players therefore have to adapt their strategies and moves to overcome new handicaps, take advantage of enemies' weaknesses more and more, plan and execute their moves ahead of time, etc.

I had a complete scenario about a game that used this concept and I believe the narrative could be very interesting with it.
Avee that's interesting, but hard to pull off, of course. Good luck!
Yeah I thought of a leveling system where you could lose exp and levels but getting a higher level would actually weaken you. Thing is the player doesn't have to level up if he sucks, she'd get less exp based on his performance. The only problem with that is that RPG turn based genre is built to rely more on stacking up things than difficulty in the choices. The negative progression area hasn't really been explored, so I welcome any venture into it. Just don't expect a perfect result.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
@Avee : that is really an interesting idea.
Well, in my current project there's this meter that grows faster the higher your level, and when it gets too high you die. I guess it's some sort of negative progression.
Max McGee
I once thought of an alternative to character progression:
Instead of your character getting stronger throughout the game, he gets more and more handicaps (typically lowered stats and harder gameplay mechanics) because he suffers from a deadly disease.
The players therefore have to adapt their strategies and moves to overcome new handicaps, take advantage of enemies' weaknesses more and more, plan and execute their moves ahead of time, etc.

I had a complete scenario about a game that used this concept and I believe the narrative could be very interesting with it.

I HAD THIS EXACT IDEA YEARS AND YEARS AGO. I'VE EVEN RECONSIDERED IT EVERY FEW YEARS FOR THE PAST DECADE OR SO.

I never wound up developing it but holy crap, I am SHOCKED that anyone else had this idea.
Take standard idea, reverse it, innovation.
author=calunio
Well, in my current project there's this meter that grows faster the higher your level, and when it gets too high you die. I guess it's some sort of negative progression.

Nice idea.
For instance I could picture it like this: the character has an Adrenaline gauge. Increases in adrenaline strengthen stats but reaching the limit causes physical and mental breakdown.
Perfect for Survival Horrors.

I had the idea about the handicaps and disease when I watched that silly movie Crank :P

@Darken: You know, it'd be great if someone wrote an article about how to innovate.
Max McGee
I think calunio forgot to mention that the meter looks like a giant boner.
Still figuring out a limit to the amount of each individual type of action should be available for each usable item available.
author=DBAce9Aura
Still figuring out a limit to the amount of each individual type of action should be available for each usable item available.

What?
Max McGee
author=Avee
I had the idea about the handicaps and disease when I watched that silly movie Crank :P

Crank was actually the first thing I thought of when I read your earlier post!

My contribution contains "spoilers" for Arkham City so...

I wish they would have expanded on the concept of Batman suffering ill effects from the Joker's infected blood. It doesn't extend beyond the cutscenes, and one or two brief areas where you are forced to walk slowly because you're at death's door. The gimmick with the Demon Blood/Lazarus pit ritual put Batman back in ace physical condition, but I think the game would have been much more interesting if it hadn't.

I would have loved to have to adapt my play style to Batman's condition. Instead of going for an insanely high combo number, I would have had to dispatch enemies as quickly (and brutally) as possible to conserve as much of my fading strength as possible. Granted, it would have royally screwed with the "sandbox" gimmick, but I think it would have made the endgame much more memorable.

I loved the section in Dark Knight Returns where Batman realized he had been trying to fight the Mutant Leader like a young man, and had to change up his tactics to survive.