ACTION SCENES IN RM2K3

Amazing, 10 minutes after I posted, we've all degraded into talking about graphics. My attempt at discussion about things other graphics has failed completely. The only one who bothered to say anything on topic is sarcastically mocking me.
author=Sauce
Amazing, 10 minutes after I posted, we've all degraded into talking about graphics. My attempt at discussion about things other graphics has failed completely. The only one who bothered to say anything on topic is sarcastically mocking me.

Uhh, well when you make an action scene in rpgmaker what else are you supposed to criticize? I mean the main thing in action scenes is literally action, and action is comprised of little dudes moving around the screen hitting each other. You want us to comment on the dialogue or something?
author=golbez
Uhh, well when you make an action scene in rpgmaker what else are you supposed to criticize? I mean the main thing in action scenes is literally action, and action is comprised of little dudes moving around the screen hitting each other. You want us to comment on the dialogue or something?

No, I appreciate your opinion on the animations and what not, even though it hurts to hear. Most of the others are just talking offtopic. I didn't want an opinion on my selection of tilesets/charasets/facesets.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Okay. Point #1. This is amazing.

Point #2. The part at the beginning with the meeting room is where better mapping could improve it. However, the ground panning underneath the floor adds a great sense of movement to the scene and keeps it from giving the appearance of non-action, which can be a common problem in scenes where no one is doing anything but talking.

Point #3. The dialogue throughout the entire intro is perfect and I kind of want you to write my dialogue for me.

Point #4. Most of the battle animations work fine in cut scenes but the axe swing looks awkward. Mostly it's just ridiculously huge compared to the other animations and comared to the sprites. I've also always hated the sound effect for the axe swing. Just reducing its size by 50% and using a different sound effect would be an improvement, I think. Check out freesound.org if you're looking for free sound effects.

Point #5. The credits are silly. Giving your own name a dozen times is silly. Any way to replace them with something less silly? My suggestion would be possibly short sentences about some aspect of the game's backstory, setting or mythology.
@ lockez - this game is a comedy, hence the pig final boss, and the joke credits
it didn't come across as a comedy. More of a serious attempt interlaced with attempts at humour by way of credits.
author=kentona
it didn't come across as a comedy. More of a serious attempt interlaced with attempts at humour by way of credits.

the game's comedy, this is the opening, which just sets the stage, not really meant to be funny

anyway, I'm glad I got to hear whatever was saying when they thought I wasn't in the channel - much more valuable than what people were saying to me directly
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Maybe I'm just a 13 year old boy at heart who loves over the top stuff and genuinely likes all the things that hipsters ironically like, but aside from the credits everything else seemed like an extremely serious attempt to make a badass action scene. I've seen plenty of games with orcs or boar-men as a serious demihuman race and figured that was what you were going for.

I definitely approve of comedy interlaced with awesome action but I think you need a slightly higher comedy-to-action ratio in this scene, perhaps, if that's your goal. Alternately, just make a serious game, because I think you would do amazing at it.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
This was damn impressive dude, but I admit I laughed when the final enemy descended. If he's supposed to be intimidating instead of funny, you might want to find a different graphic for him.
I was wondering about what people thought of cutscenes/action sequences using low quality sprites, with the limitations of rm2k3(especially my own spriting limitations).

If you had just asked this question you might have gotten a broader answer. People would most likely be saying the same things, but it wouldn't be directed at your game.

But instead you posted the video and clearly asked people what they think of it. I don't think you wanted discussion. You wanted people to agree with your opinions and since they didn't your all butthurt :(

HADOUKEN!!!

author=Sauce

See above quote. And yes, you failed.

Off-topic: The move hero events were decent but the repetitive sound effects/battle animations ruined it. Why didn't any of those soldiers do ANYTHING? They all just walked around like zombies. I'd say the heroes were totally badass if they weren't fighting mindless drones.
author=Link_2112
But instead you posted the video and clearly asked people what they think of it. I don't think you wanted discussion. You wanted people to agree with your opinions and since they didn't your all butthurt :(

You can think what you want. I didn't respond once to people who praised the video. Nor was I offended by golbez who straight up said it was retarded. Nor do I mind what you have to say. I was just getting pissed off at Despain, who was totally condescending.

In the end, I just made a different thread for discussion.
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
Nobody exactly said that you should make your custom graphics but rather avoid inconsistency. Those soldiers that are slaughtered all the time by some Jean Claude Van Damme-wannabes don't really go well with the RM2K3 RTP characters you use. If you take a close look, you'll see.
author=Nightowl
Nobody exactly said that you should make your custom graphics but rather avoid inconsistency. Those soldiers that are slaughtered all the time by some Jean Claude Van Damme-wannabes don't really go well with the RM2K3 RTP characters you use. If you take a close look, you'll see.

I could spend the next few months making 500 charasets/facesets that I need so they can match. And have 10 minutes of game done. Or I can keep writing and eventing my game with some graphical inconsistency, and not have to stop writing my story to make the next batch of matching graphics I need. - There are no existing matching sets that can satisfy the representations I want.
author=Sauce
I could spend the next few months making 500 charasets/facesets that I need so they can match. And have 10 minutes of game done. Or I can keep writing and eventing my game with some graphical inconsistency, and not have to stop writing my story to make the next batch of matching graphics I need. - There are no existing matching sets that can satisfy the representations I want.

That's the difference between another "lolRMgame" and a great game. Generally people like great games.
Despite
When the going gets tough, go fuck yourself.
The choreography is pretty damn impressive.
author=Link_2112
That's the difference between another "lolRMgame" and a great game.

Sorry you feel that way. For me, FF13's multimillion dollar animations budget can't make up for it's pathetic cry-a-river cast. The same applies to beautifully constructed rm games with no life.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
I liked this cutscene. My only complaint was the ear-splitting sound effects. If you tone those down and focused more on the music, I'd say it's a great cutscene.

Mix-matched graphics don't bother me, especially if this dude is just getting into RPG maker. Cut the dude a break. Who here actually even attempted a cutscene this big early in their making years?
author=Dudesoft
Mix-matched graphics don't bother me, especially if this dude is just getting into RPG maker. Cut the dude a break. Who here actually even attempted a cutscene this big early in their making years?

I did and it was about cloud getting blown up by a mage and a super elaborate final fantasy fangame. It was fun =v=)b

...Just sayin'. And that's what I said too, he's just a beginner
author=NewBlack
People in the community tend to care more about consistency than quality. Yeah, it's 320x240 and pixel based but that's (around here anyway) not an "excuse" for sloppiness. THAT SAID. A lot of people seem to get mired in thinking about presentation and quality (myself included) and things and end up never really getting much done.. So I can understand where you're coming from totally.

I didn't know I needed an excuse for sloppiness. I have poor spriting skills, and there aren't existing sets that both match and show what I need them to. I'll stand by it that I could say the same for the horrible dialogue I see all over the place on some of the games I've seen. Highly rated games. The requirement to address crappy writing should be the same, but it isn't. It's pretty irrational to tell someone improve their writing skills.

Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
author=Sauce
I didn't know I needed an excuse for sloppiness. I have poor spriting skills, and there aren't existing sets that both match and show what I need them to. I'll stand by it that I could say the same for the horrible dialogue I see all over the place on some of the games I've seen. Highly rated games. The requirement to address crappy writing should be the same, but it isn't. It's pretty irrational to tell someone improve their writing skills.

I have yelled at people for having bad writing. Writing is a skill that can be improved just like anything else.