JOIN US ON THE OFFICIAL DISCORD CHANNEL: Norm Discord Channel
Norm: A Serial Killer RPG
... is a very dark RPG/Adventure game, created in RPGMaker VX Ace.
*WARNING: This game contains graphic descriptions and moderate depictions of: s*x, violence, drug and alcohol use, death of humans, animals and the American Dream, extremely foul language, Donald Trump, and other themes unsuitable for the workplace, those of a young age, or those with a sensitive or impressionable nature. Player discretion is advised.*
It is a story about two people...
Faith Powers - a prison nurse with a hero complex, who is nowhere near as lily-white as she seems, but managing to maintain her veneer. She is occasionally tormented on the job by her most high profile patient...
Norman Peoples - a cannibal, convicted of thirteen counts of murder, and serving a multiple life-sentence in the bowels of a correctional facility. He will do anything to escape, and he has his ears peeled for opportunity to knock...
It is not a story about love. It is a story about survival. It is a story about what is considered "normal" - and the actual truths of the universe that send people screaming from their beds in the night. It is a story about the lies we are told. It is a story about the lies we tell ourselves. It is a story about murder, debauchery, cannibalism, fraud, extortion, torture, Stockholm Syndrome, drugs, war, heresy and black magic. It is a story about tedium... it is a story about entropy... and there will be no happy endings.
But there will be plenty of macaroni and cheese...
~ Non-linear, story-heavy gameplay, set in the Washington D.C. of the Cthulhu Mythos.
~ References to real serial killers galore.
~ Killer soundtrack by Nine Inch Nails.
~ Nearly-monochrome graphics will have you seeing red.
~ Basic weather and time-of-day system.
~ Two possible "endings" for now. To be continued...
~ Four different murder Affinities to choose from, and two hidden Affinities.
~ Ten different character Classes to choose from, and three hidden Classes.
~ Cannibalize one of six different human body parts from each kill, to build your stats to your specifications.
~ Kill Count with comparison to actual historical serial killers.
~ Gain an entire experience level from each specific human you murder.
~ Random murders still yield experience.
~ Grinding if you want it. I don't see nothin' wrong with it.
~ Giant rats.
~ More giant rats. (D.C. has a serious problem...)
~ At least one hooker.
~ S*x, drugs and rock and roll.
~ S-Mart! Shop Smart!
~ Police bribes and brutality.
~ Evidence disposal.
~ Severed limbs and decapitations.
~ Comas, organ failures, and terminal illnesses.
~ Donald Trump.
~ Secret stuff. Shhh.
~ Evil teddy bears.
~ The end of the world as we know it.
02 Destroy Evidence
04 Deadly Bite
06 *(Class Skill Slot)
08 Suppressed Rage
10 *(Class Skill Slot)
12 Strike Nerve
14 *(Class Skill Slot)
16 Teacher's Pet
18 *(Class Skill Slot)
20 Maniacal Laughter
22 *(Class Skill Slot)
24 Catatonic Stare
26 *(Class Skill Slot)
28 Play Dead
30 *(Class Skill Slot)
32 Bipolar Disorder
34 *(Class Skill Slot)
36 Primal Chase
38 *(Class Skill Slot)
40 Bestial Howl
42 *(Class Skill Slot)
46 Patient Stalker
48 Infrared Goggles
50 The Game
CLASS SKILLS BY WEAPON TYPE
Anxiety Attack - Improvised, Beating
Sudden Snap - Chopping, Stabbing
Here's Johnny - Chopping, Crushing
Sadistic Tendencies - Torture, Crushing - ATK and DEF based
Masochistic Tendencies - Improvised, Beating
Exploit Phobias - Torture, Execution
Salt Wound - Improvised, Torture
Flailing Blows - Improvised, Stabbing
Chelsea Grin - Slashing, Torture - ATK and SAt based
Death Machine - Execution, Torture
Cut Throat - Slashing, Execution - ATK and SAt based
Drop Kick - Crushing, Beating
Pavlovian Response - Beating, Improvised
Extreme Prejudice - Crushing, Munitions
Lethal Injection - Poisons, Execution
Vicious Backhand - Beating, Crushing
Rip Clothing - Stabbing, Slashing
Gilly Suit - Munitions, Stabbing
Manchurian Candidate - Munitions, Execution - ATK and AGI based
Tactical Strike - Munitions, Poisons - ATK and AGI based
Double Tap - Munitions, Chopping - ATK and LUK based
Butterfly Knives - Stabbing, Slashing - ATK and LUK based
Field Dressing - Poisons, Slashing
Hemorrhage - Chopping, Poisons - ATK and DEF based
Tourniquet - Chopping, Poisons
Band-Aids -$5- Recovers 250 HP for one Ally. Cures Bleeding. Triggers fast.
Milk -$5- Recovers 500 HP for one Ally.
Beer -$10- Recovers 2,500 HP for one Ally. 33% chance of Stutter.
Liquor -$20- Recovers all HP for one Ally. 33% chance of Confusion.
Cigarettes -$5- Recovers 200 SP for all Allies. 50% chance to cure sleep. 33% chance of Disease.
Coffee -$10- Recovers all SP for all Allies. Cures Sleep.
EpiPen -$380- Cures Death. Cures visual effects of drug use. 33% chance of Stun.
IV -$380- Cures Coma, Organ Failure and Terminally Ill status for one Ally. Cures visual effects of drug use. 33% chance of Stun.
Ipecac -$10- Cures Poisoning for all Allies. Cures visual effects of drug use. 33% chance of Mace.
Cannabis -$25- 50% chance to cure Disease, Mace, Stutter, Confusion, Stun or Paralysis for all Allies. 33% chance of Sleep.
Opiates -$80- Restores all HP and SP for one Ally. Causes mild hallucinations. 33% chance of paralysis.
Boxed Mac and Cheese - $5 - Useless, until combined with Milk to create...
Cooked Mac and Cheese - $20 - Restores all HP and SP for all Allies.
PERMANENT STAT BOOST ITEMS
Performance Enhancers -$250- MHp +50.
Human Heart -Free- ATK +1, Recovers 250 HP.
Human Liver -Free- DEF +1, Recovers 250 HP.
Human Brain -Free- AGI +1, Recovers 250 HP.
Human Blood -Free- LUK +1, Recovers 250 HP.
Bath Salts -$500- MSp +10.
Human Eyes -Free- SAt +1, Recovers 250 HP.
Human Tongue -Free- SDf +1, Recovers 250 HP.
~ Save as soon as you leave/skip the intro, and can move around Faith's House.
~ You start the game with 1 Hit Point. The immediate goal is to get Norm to the hospital at the very North of the Washington D.C "Main" map.
~ Hold Shift (the "Speed Button"), and immediately move left and away from the Police Car, when you leave Faith's House and enter the Main map. Then move north until you are on top of the Hospital Icon. Then press Enter (the "Action Button") to enter the Hospital.
~ Plan A: Talk to the Nurse at the desk. Wait as instructed, and then go to the back of The Hospital to the Doctor. Don't Attack the Doctor, Let him heal you. After that, you will be fully healed, and the world is yours to explore.
~ Plan B: IF you have more than $20 dollars at this point (which is possible without combat, IF you have been nosy enough) you can just leave, and go to the icon nearest the very middle of the map. This is the S-Mart. Speak to Angela at the right-hand counter and order food. After that, you will be fully healed, and the world is yours to explore.
~ Be sure not to examine things in S-Mart unless you have - most of the items you will not be able to leave without paying for or fighting for. So Save the game when you enter, before any intended browsing.
~ Try not to kill everybody. Even though you probably can. Even though you will get a tasty piece of human that will make your stats higher. Even though Norm probably would. Yeah you're probably gonna kill everybody...
~ You can attempt to "Bribe" your way out of battle with Police Officers and Investigators on the Main map. This will cost you $100 per try, if you have it, and success is not guaranteed. And be prepared to speed away from the enemy unit on the map immediately.
~ If you kill an Investigator, and survive the battle, the game will immediately move to a separate segment of the game, considered for now to be one of the branches that leads towards one of the two "endings" of the game. Save before exploring this option, if you want to get back to the Main story later.
~ If you find a "Dungeon", hold the Action Button while in a trap, until you break free - otherwise the time required to break free will keep increasing, and in the case of the Chainsaw, Drill, and Water Tank trap, you will keep taking more damage every time the red flashes appear, and you may die.
***CHANGELOG VERSIONS BETA1F/BETA1E***(MAJOR SPOILERS!!!)***
* Fixed Doctor storyline rewind bug. Also will not charge you 500 dollars for your first visit to the Doctor, as long as you don't leave the hospital beforehand.
* Deli special now only heals HP for entire party. Poisoning now affects entire party if it occurs.
* Detain/Bribe not working right for Police or Investigator units. Fixed.
* Body Parts now add 250HP when used.
* Two new hidden Classes: Sorceror and Saint. Both use no weapons, and have access to Magic and Special skills.
* Added Boxed Mac and Cheese as an item. Requires Milk to turn it into Cooked Mac and Cheese. Cooked Mac and Cheese heals all allies 100%.
* Added a second "Notoriety" window that appears after Kill Affinity, likening the player's kill count to that of real international serial killers.
* Added Amputations and Crippling - new semi-permanent status effects.
* Added Life and Limb Clinic as a new location - appears when an amputation/crippling occurs.
* Urgent Care Center and Plasma Center location changed slightly on the Main map.
* Added Prosthetics as Accessories. Can be purchased at the Life and Limb Clinic. Equipping them once removes the appropriate crippling statuses.
* Fixed Infinite Derringers bug.
* Minor dialogue changes and bugfixes throughout.
* Changed location of S-Mart on the Main Map.
* Changed duration of Paralysis to 2-4 turns (was 4-6).
* Status "Blindness" name has been changed to Mace.
* Status "Silence" name has been changed to Stutter.
* Added Heartbeat sound effect, for when Norm's life drops below 20% of maximum.
* Revamped time of day and weather triggers.
* Added Radio, TV, Computer Monitor, and Plasmapheresis Machine sprites.
* Sped up some scrolling text, especially related to warrants.
* Changed animation for Cut Throat.
* Changed "Death" state message for actors to " is dying..." to make things a bit more realistic regarding EpiPens and carting "dead" characters around for a long time.
* Broken Bone skill renamed to "Dislocation".
* Visuals for Opiate use are more pink.
* Added Suicide skill for all classes, at level 2.
* Bite Face skill renamed to "Deadly Bite". Icon Changed.
* Suppressed Rage skill icon changed.
* Bodyslam skill renamed to "Concussion". Now Maces instead of Stuns.
* Scream skill now Stutters one enemy, instead of Confuses all enemies.
* Clamps weapon now renamed to "Pliers".
* Music has been overhauled. All game music now consists of tracks from Nine Inch Nails: Ghosts I-IV.
* Some dialog changes due to music references changing.
* Chopping wood or picking tomatoes now makes time pass faster at the Farmhouse.
* Chopping wood or picking tomatoes also gives 1300 experience per chop/pick now, and can only be done a certain amount of times per day.
* Chopping wood runs out after 20 times, at the Farmhouse.
* Tomato-picking becomes unavailable after the 5th day, at the Farmhouse.
* Fixed bug that was letting players attack clerks in S-Mart without going around the counter.
* Added new buff/debuff icons.
* Made several Actors immune to some Amputations and Cripplings. This was to avoid inconsistencies in dialog. One eye, one hand, one foot, and a broken back are things a character could more or less function with until acquiring the right prosthetics.
* Added CV Glasses as a Prosthetic to cure One-Eye state.
* Added scrolling Day Counter for an artificial sense of urgency.
* If Norm or Faith are Decapitated, the cutscene featuring them at the Jail will not take place after knockout, wherever it normally would.
* Changed skill icons for Infrared Goggles and Double Tap.
* Rampage state added. 5% chance on any damage-dealing attack. Character auto-battles for 1-3 turns, with +50% Rage regeneration, and a 25% chance of removal on damage.
* Fixed bug where nurse would not reappear at the Urgent Care, after killing the Security Guard when she leaves the room.
* Leaving the Urgent Care after visiting the first time now advances the story, but you will be unable to get the free healing after doing so.
* Removed all extra stats from weapons - they are all basic ATK items now.
* Removed all extra stats from armor (other than accessories) - they are all basic DEF items now.
* Dual Attack skill renamed to Dual Strike.
* Telephone, Golf Ball and Golf Cart sprites added.
* John, The Understudy added as a Actor. Death: Unscripted - Rampages easily, so cannot be easily controlled.
* Added Union Station, to allow the ability to travel via bus. Also added the ability to move arounf the DC Main Map VERY slowly on foot, after taking the bus.
* Added permanent death via Decapitation, removing Actors inflicted with the state from the party - for Norm, Faith or Freddy, this is a Game Over, since they are essential to the plot.
* Added Impulsiveness skill. Useable only from the map. Gives all party members Rampage status.
* Becoming a Strangler is now a one-time option.
* A character with the Confusion state now has a 10% chance of spreading it to a victim.
* Premeditation state renamed to "Contemplate".
* Telephones will now accept a 7 digit number input. Most numbers have the result of a "not in service" tone...
* Many weapons now have elemental attacks instead of physical. List added to Strategy Guide.
* Organ Failure state added. 2% chance on most damaging attacks. Same as Poison, only permanent until specifically cured.
* Coma state added. 1% chance on most damaging attacks. Same as Sleep, only permanent until specifically cured.
* Triage skill and Heeded Prayer skill now cure Coma, Organ Failure, and Terminal Illness states.
* IV item added. Cures Coma, Organ Failure and Terminal Illness for one ally. Can be bought, with prescription, at S-Mart.