DOING IT! - WEEK FIFTEEN - DOUBLE FEATURE

Pages: 1
DOING IT!

Week the fifteenth.

DOING IT! is a community event ran each week where a prompt is given and those who wish to fulfill it post their work here. It is entirely optional, you may join at any time - even after a week has finished. Feel free to post as many pieces as you like. Feedback is encouraged.

DETAILED EXPLANATION/QUESTIONS/SUGGESTIONS HERE

RULES
- Post your work in the thread, preferably with some small explanation about it. Whether that be about any troubles you had fulfilling the prompt, how you went about it or how you think it turned out is up to you.
- Feedback is highly encouraged, but optional. No flaming please. Constructional critique is preferred. If you see a piece without feedback, consider leaving even a line about it. Keep feedback polite.
- Keep posts on/in topic. Try not to get too off-track, please.
- "Borrowing". As these threads may include both original graphical and musical creations please ask the creators instead of just adding them to your 'collections'. If authors don't mind adding full works, go ahead, but partial works are also encouraged. If someone states in their post that they do not want their work used, please try to refrain yourself from grabbing with your grubby hands. It makes you look like a fool and a thief when others' point it out. People have been given bad reputations and ostracized from communities for doing this.
- You may add to this topic at any time. A link to this and the other weekly topics to come will be added to the main topic each week. Feel free to add new work to any of them at any time.

If you have any questions, suggestions or ideas for prompts please see the
original thread.

ENJOY YOURSELVES!

PROMPT: ALL ABOUT THE CRITS
This week we're going to focus on criticism. Any form of creation that is released to the public will gain both good and bad criticism from those who see/use/hear/etc it. It can be a hard thing to take and sometimes it can feel that everyone is out to rain on your parade. So this weeks double feature challenge is to give yourself and another game a critique.
Take a notepad, pen and play any game - preferably an RM/Indie game, though professional games can be used - and play it for about twenty minutes or so. Long enough to get a good feel for the game and characters. Write down anything you think may need improving on, anything that caught your eye or that you thought was done well/could have been better. (Lists will be fine.)
Then give your own project the same run through, trying to be objective and hard on yourself. Write down the things that need improving, that you want to fix or think were well done.
Post both lists up here when done.
(You don't have to name the games if you want to remain anonymous in your critique, but it could help the author of said games if you do.)

BONUS PROMPT
Go HERE, click on the second game and go to the third, sixth or twelfth image. In the comments for it leave at least two ideas for improving it, two things you think are great about it and the main thing that sticks out to you. Paste a link to it here. (Put Doing It! somewhere in the comment so the creator will know why it's being critiqued.)

Go forth and do it!

Previous Topics

WEEK FIFTEEN: ALL ABOUT THE CRITS
http://rpgmaker.net/games/2092/images/10418/?comment=42412#comment42412

Review coming some time. EDIT- oh, hadn't seen the second part of the main thing, this will actually be interesting, doing a self review!
http://rpgmaker.net/games/2320/images/11968/?comment=42583#comment42583
This for the Bonus.
I'll get to work on the review/self review now, this sounds interesting :)
Bonus: http://rpgmaker.net/games/1733/images/10292/?comment=42610#comment42610

I played a demo of a game with a lot of potential for my review. The game could be improved in several ways, though:

1) When you begin, there is no instructions on how to play. You are in a field with entrances to a bunch of levels with 2 npcs to talk to. One gives a very brief explanation on the concept, but for the most part I was learning it on my own.

2) This game has tiles you can only step on once. If you mess up, there's no way of going back and you have to restart the entire game. This is what frustrated me into not playing.

3) The graphics were poor for an rpg maker xp game.

Otherwise it was a great game! The puzzles were good and, for the most part, original. I can't wait for the full version of the game to be released!
I ripped apart, shit on, fed garbage, and threw Demon's Gate into a hail storm quite a while ago. It isn't entirely applicable to this thread because instead of a 20 minute playtime "what could've been better" it's an accumulation of everything about the game from conception to death.

http://rpgmaker.net/games/1257/blog/1745/

I'll see what I can do to contribute for this Doing It. Except the "criticize yourself" part because I already did DG, Altima is "everything", and XTREME is "it doesn't start because I need to finish that script" right now :v
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Quick self-review of Matsumori Days:
This demo has one of the oddest difficulty curves ever. The first Chapter is the hardest chapter, since you have absolutely no resources. The optimal strategy for battles in Chapter 1 seem to be to fight one or two encounters before retreating to the rest point. Chapter 2 follows a similar path, at least until the fourth character gets her abilities. At that specific point, the difficulty curve goes down. Sharply. The only problem fight after that moment is the final fight, which is more of a test of patience and endurance than a test of skill and player knowledge.

The dungeons get very tiring very fast. Outside of a little bit of treasure hunting, there isn't much to do in them outside of grinding for levels. There's no mazes. No puzzles. Just a fairly straight-forward path to follow. There does seem to be a moment where the game can be non-linear, but the events in question are not in place as of this writing.

I'm not sure Katai is a very viable character. His only meaningful role is to have another character hate him. Seriously, that's all there is to the guy. He might be a good NPC that happens to have a face graphic, but a full-fledged party member?

For those interested in stories, this game might be worth your while. It's essentially a tale of a bunch of high-school students who get involved in a mystical battle in another dimension. Nothing that hasn't been done before, certainly. There seems to be some serious thought about how the two realities are connected, but perhaps not necessarily why they are connected.

The bouns
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I started to do this type of self-evaluation for my own game, then quickly got really annoyed at how bad the beginning of my game is compared to the rest of it. So I'm going to do a lot of redesigning up through the end of the second dungeon, then try this week's Doing It!.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Since images aren't terribly random anymore, I suggest future "bonus" comments use the "Send me in coach!" button to at least randomize the game. While the specific image that is commented on might not be totally randomized, it's a short-term fix until something better can be figured out.
LEECH
who am i and how did i get in here
Zenonia (iphone)

Played for like over 15 hours.

Pros: Fun lil action RPG, Nice graphics,

Cons: Too much friggen grinding... you will spend 80% of your time grinding, Potions ect dont heal enoguh health, Bland story, Sounds it was written by 8 year olds and bosses are wierd.

Not bad for $4...
My rating: 3/5
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Finished redoing the first several cut scenes and the entire second dungeon of my game, then decided to do this self-critique. Here are my thoughts on Vindication:

Pros:
- This game is a fuckin' glorious masterpiece
- Brilliant humor
- Custom sprites and faces that blend nicely with the RTP ones
- Most of the maps are pretty good
- Multiple difficulty settings
- Random battles are meaningful challenges, bosses are meaningful or major challenges, but there's still room for the player to make some errors without getting a game over
- Full commerical length game, not just a miniature RPG

Cons:
- Made in RM2K3, and thus has all the associated problems
- Quality of maps and other graphics varies wildly
- There are places where the RTP and ripped graphics don't really blend well
- Enemy graphics are reused
- No character customization possible at all
- Unforgiving of poor planning, especially on hard mode
- I should not be allowed to create puzzles, like, ever
- No seriously it should be against the law
Pages: 1