DOING IT! - WEEK SIX

Pages: 1
DOING IT!

Week the omfgsixth.

DOING IT! is a community event ran each week where a prompt is given and those who wish to fulfill it post their work here. It is entirely optional, you may join at any time - even after a week has finished. Feel free to post as many pieces as you like. Feedback is encouraged.

DETAILED EXPLANATION/QUESTIONS/SUGGESTIONS HERE

RULES
- Post your work in the thread, preferably with some small explanation about it. Whether that be about any troubles you had fulfilling the prompt, how you went about it or how you think it turned out is up to you.
- Feedback is highly encouraged, but optional. No flaming please. Constructional critique is preferred. If you see a piece without feedback, consider leaving even a line about it. Keep feedback polite.
- Keep posts on/in topic. Try not to get too off-track, please.
- "Borrowing". As these threads may include both original graphical and musical creations please ask the creators instead of just adding them to your 'collections'. If authors don't mind adding full works, go ahead, but partial works are also encouraged. If someone states in their post that they do not want their work used, please try to refrain yourself from grabbing with your grubby hands. It makes you look like a fool and a thief when others' point it out. People have been given bad reputations and ostracized from communities for doing this.
- You may add to this topic at any time. A link to this and the other weekly topics to come will be added to the main topic each week. Feel free to add new work to any of them at any time.

If you have any questions, suggestions or ideas for prompts please see the
original thread.

ENJOY YOURSELVES!

PROMPT: PLOT NO JUTSU
Plot - every game should have one. It may be as simple as having a chicken cross a road of busy cars or as elaborate as Final Fantasy XVII: The Returners II - Escape of the Chocobo. This weeks prompt is simple - take a piece of your plot that is still being worked on/is a bit confusing/you're not happy/has problems (continuity, explanatory, etc) and work on it. Post up here your workings (if you want to avoid spoilers give your characters/places false identities. ^.^) Or use spoiler tags.

Go forth and create!

Previous Topics
WEEK SIX: PLOT NO JUTSU

I've been having problems with a certain character and how they'll be introduced to the team. I'd thought of a few ways to do this - either by accidentally meeting in a bar where he leaves you with the tab after some small talk (which would fit with his personality) or having him save them from/leave them in a precarious situation. I need them and the player to like him as a character, but have him a bit ambiguous. After much thought, I decided "why not do both?" and went with it. ^.^

Also, had some trouble with a few scenes that I'd scripted out but had no place to put them. I may decide to go with the - Meanwhile - cutscene version, or an optional scene. Perhaps like the seeing-movie-record (spheres?) thing in FFX or something you can unlock at the end of the game? Still need to think about that.

EDIT: And yes, I changed the prompt. I was tired when I wrote it and it didn't fit into the ideas I have for Doing It!
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
I just recently realized that my main villains didn't actually have a motive other than 'HAHA WE'RE THE VILLAINS :D'
So I decided to expand it a bit on the main main villain, Alicia Ultma (aka Ultimecia). And also how Sephiroth is going to accomplish his plans. Well try to!

I did have a bit of back story for Alicia already prepared; she got the idea of turning the world into Final Fantasy from a main character. But then she ended up doing horrible things to them, and I didn't have an explanation.
So I made it so that the 'Hojo' convinced her to do those things because they were an 'excellent specimen', and she has lived with regret and guilt from the incident. So she halfway seeks to turn the world into a Final Fantasy copy and also seeks to eventually compress time to return to when the one she treated badly still loved her (mother/son relationship sort of thing)

As for Sephiroth, he was basically sitting around doing nothing until I decided the party would find the Black Materia somewhere, and keep it hidden from Kumo/Cloud just in case he pulls what the real Cloud did in FF7 (hey, Cloud, thanks for screwing us over... twice!), which would create one of the ending's major conflicts, and I'm not saying anymore.
He still plans to turn the world into a vessel and sail around on it.
post=144108
I've been having problems with a certain character and how they'll be introduced to the team. I'd thought of a few ways to do this - either by accidentally meeting in a bar where he leaves you with the tab after some small talk (which would fit with his personality) or having him save them from/leave them in a precarious situation. I need them and the player to like him as a character, but have him a bit ambiguous. After much thought, I decided "why not do both?" and went with it. ^.^

Hm, so I was reading this and thought both were sort of overdone RPG you-meet-a-character ideas, but combing a bunch of them sounds like it would be fun. The character becomes "that guy you run into everywhere," so all of the little incidents actually have some purpose rather than just to introduce player to character.

post=144109
I did have a bit of back story for Alicia already prepared; she got the idea of turning the world into Final Fantasy from a main character. But then she ended up doing horrible things to them, and I didn't have an explanation.
So I made it so that the 'Hojo' convinced her to do those things because they were an 'excellent specimen', and she has lived with regret and guilt from the incident. So she halfway seeks to turn the world into a Final Fantasy copy and also seeks to eventually compress time to return to when the one she treated badly still loved her (mother/son relationship sort of thing)
As for Sephiroth, he was basically sitting around doing nothing until I decided the party would find the Black Materia somewhere, and keep it hidden from Kumo/Cloud just in case he pulls what the real Cloud did in FF7 (hey, Cloud, thanks for screwing us over... twice!), which would create one of the ending's major conflicts, and I'm not saying anymore.
He still plans to turn the world into a vessel and sail around on it.

As someone who's not overly familiar with FF, I'll ask what you're working on here. Some sort of "FF plus other characters" thing, or just "FF, different plot." Anyway, the "turning the world to Final Fantasy" bit sounds like something out of the FFTA series... I admit, that's the only FF game I played all the way through...

So, my stuff... My team is having some issues with the introductory dialogue. It's the first text the player reads so we want it to count. (This is story stuff. Right?) But anyway, it's hard to strike a balance between informative and concise. This is what it's at right now, and most seem to speak it's on the "long" side. (Nico's the protagonist, Waldsworth is his coworker, Chloe's his boss, and the raven, Edgar, is the smartass workshop familiar. The gameplay involves crushing things by pushing statues into them if you're confused.)

NICO: Yaaawn. I could do this for hours. *uses Push on the statue*
NICO: Well, I guess it has been a couple hours. Heh, I bet Waldsworth will never find me in here. *uses Pull on the statue*

EDGAR: Keeping busy?
NICO: Woah! Edgar! Hi! How'd you find me?
EDGAR: How long have you been screwing around in here, anyway?
NICO: I'm not screwing around! I'm doing what Chloe told me to do. I'm, uh... Doing that task, yeah.
EDGAR: Taking care of the dragon beetles?
NICO: Yeah, that's right.
EDGAR: There are four beetles in this room. You've been here for four hours.
NICO: Give me a break. They're tough to kill. Chloe's lucky she hired Nico, expert beetleslayer and grizzled exterminator!
EDGAR: Last I checked your job title was "mage intern."
NICO: Hehe, I'm not an intern, I'm a lithomancer!
*awkward pause*
EDGAR: Well? What are you just standing there for? Kill the dragon beetles.
NICO: Like you said, I'm not an exterminator.
EDGAR: I don't know why Chloe hasn't fired you yet. Even Waldsworth could do the job better than you. Listen up. You have those two pieces of marble that Chloe gave you Crush the dragon beetles between the statue and the walls with Push and Pull.
NICO: That sounds hard. What do I do with the marble again?
EDGAR: Don't play dumb. I saw you slinging that statue around like it's your broken arm. Put the marble on your staff and press the Z key.
NICO: There we go. *push animation* Lithomancy in action!

Anyone have any suggestions on how to tidy that up?
Oh wow that's good timing, I just wrote this for a game profile. I should mention that I'm only the artist on this one, but I made this because we had a script but no synopsis. It took longer than I thought to massage it all down into a bite sized...size. But I'm sure our writer can do it with more poetry.

Tetrodi: City of the Seven. First built as a haven for the devout, it's gothic skyscrapers have become overgrown with the countless pipes, rails and gears that have brought the metropolis fully into the steampunk age. Beneath suspended trains and tickertape billboards, its citizens are putting up the first decorations for the annual Feast of Millicenia in just four days.

Preparing his church for the increased foot traffic this time of year is Darius, the aging parish priest. Learning firsthand that the Seven rarely answer prayers, he's developed his own way of tending his flock. By day he listens to their troubles...and by night he takes to the Tetrodi streets to deal with their tormentors firsthand. Because Darius is possessed by a powerful demon, and in his twilight years he's going to make sure the city is a just little safer one body at a time. But as the militant Eyes of Heaven begin to arrive for the holiday celebration, he'll have to be deadly careful to protect his secret identity.

Pray for the innocent. Prey on the wicked. Because in a city where technology is making people lose their humanity, only someone inhuman can balance the scales.

For the other game that I'm actually writing, there isn't much you can do with a "cartoons invading the real world" plot and make it sound remotely serious. I've taken that with a grain of salt. But I do still need to figure out why the bulk of the game happens in the first place. You fall asleep, start off on one side of the Nightmare, and have to travel to the other far end "where your eyes are" to wake up. But this turns out to be a trick told by the toons, and once you reach it that lets them escape into the real world. But I haven't figured out the magical physics - let's call them mhyglics - to explain this even as poorly as any similar movie you've seen. At this point Meg leaves the party, because she has to remain asleep for the toons to escape, and the other party members turn real life in the real world for a dungeon. Well, if you can call a grocery store a dungeon. I've been in some that merit the distinction. When you beat that boss, they all fall asleep and end up back in the Nightmare. So if anyone has any vague ideas for mhyglics I could use the suggestions.
This needs serious work. Tell me what you guys think about it. This is straight from the Introduction of Teluna Everlast. So no real Spoilers since this bit of story is in the intro!

10 Years ago, A Great Darkness covered the lands. Demons spawned into the world, Undead roamed the lands,the animals of the forest were twisted and corrupted and changed into Ruthless Beasts. This time was known as, The Blight. Countless Villages fell before the might of the Dark Force that Tainted the world.
Soon, Mankind was on the verge of destruction. Ragnar Daver Tyran, created the Divine Enforcers. A group of Knights,Mages,Thieves,Archers anyone who could hold there own in combat. They trained in an Underground city known as Dalure. After 5 Months, they charged out of Dalure and attacked the Demons. Within 3 months, The Blight was Ended.

In present time 1985, The Year of Sun, The Divine Enforcer still exist. Protecting Villages from monsters and such things. But recently, demons have been reported to walk in the Forest of Gakure. Valen Revance Tyran, a reknowned bounty hunter and tracker and now Divine Enforcer has been sent to track down the demons and see if they exist. Simply thinking this was just another mission the Enforcer gave Valen, he began tracking down the Demons. He didn't find any demon, what he found was something worse. A Dark Force worse than the Blight.

It is very much a WIP.
post=144138
Preparing his church for the increased foot traffic this time of year is Darius, the aging parish priest. Learning firsthand that the Seven rarely answer prayers, he's developed his own way of tending his flock. By day he listens to their troubles...and by night he takes to the Tetrodi streets to deal with their tormentors firsthand. Because Darius is possessed by a powerful demon, and in his twilight years he's going to make sure the city is a just little safer one body at a time. But as the militant Eyes of Heaven begin to arrive for the holiday celebration, he'll have to be deadly careful to protect his secret identity.

This does not need much work at all. Keep all of your writer's "poetry" away from it. It's concise, engaging, and unique.The last thing you need is a bunch of apocalyptic and flowery language that tries to present it as something it's not. Also, I like the protagonist. This is something I'd at least download.

post=144143
This needs serious work. Tell me what you guys think about it. This is straight from the Introduction of Teluna Everlast. So no real Spoilers since this bit of story is in the intro!

10 Years ago, A Great Darkness covered the lands. Demons spawned into the world, Undead roamed the lands,the animals of the forest were twisted and corrupted and changed into Ruthless Beasts. This time was known as, The Blight. Countless Villages fell before the might of the Dark Force that Tainted the world.
Soon, Mankind was on the verge of destruction. Ragnar Daver Tyran, created the Divine Enforcers. A group of Knights,Mages,Thieves,Archers anyone who could hold there own in combat. They trained in an Underground city known as Dalure. After 5 Months, they charged out of Dalure and attacked the Demons. Within 3 months, The Blight was Ended.
In present time 1985, The Year of Sun, The Divine Enforcer still exist. Protecting Villages from monsters and such things. But recently, demons have been reported to walk in the Forest of Gakure. Valen Revance Tyran, a reknowned bounty hunter and tracker and now Divine Enforcer has been sent to track down the demons and see if they exist. Simply thinking this was just another mission the Enforcer gave Valen, he began tracking down the Demons. He didn't find any demon, what he found was something worse. A Dark Force worse than the Blight..

You're not kidding that this needs work. This needs a rewrite. That first paragraph is the most generic fantasy trash it's possible to imagine. "A long time ago, there were lots of monsters, but then someone defeated them." Just erase this. I'm willing to bet it has very little relation to the actual plot of your game, the second paragraph. If it is somehow necessary to the current plot, then introduce it little by little throughout the game. If I saw this on a an introduction it would inspire facepalmage. Chances are your game doesn't need to introduce itself with a scrolling text bar about the history of the world. The player should ease into your environment because of the atmosphere, not because you hit them with a wall of text.

As for the second part, it's really generic, but it's better than the first paragraph. It could work if your character's personality is interesting, I guess. I don't know enough about your actual plot to really give any advice about your scenario. I'm not trying to rip you apart and I'm sorry if it's overly critical but including that "blight" stuff I really think is a mistake.
post=144163
post=144138
This does not need much work at all. Keep all of your writer's "poetry" away from it. It's concise, engaging, and unique.The last thing you need is a bunch of apocalyptic and flowery language that tries to present it as something it's not. Also, I like the protagonist. This is something I'd at least download.

post=144143

In present time 1985, The Year of Sun, The Divine Enforcer still exist. Protecting Villages from monsters and such things. But recently, demons have been reported to walk in the Forest of Gakure. Valen Revance Tyran, a reknowned bounty hunter and tracker and now Divine Enforcer has been sent to track down the demons and see if they exist. Simply thinking this was just another mission the Enforcer gave Valen, he began tracking down the Demons. He didn't find any demon, what he found was something worse. A Dark Force worse than the Blight..

You're not kidding that this needs work. This needs a rewrite. That first paragraph is the most generic fantasy trash it's possible to imagine. "A long time ago, there were lots of monsters, but then someone defeated them." Just erase this. I'm willing to bet it has very little relation to the actual plot of your game, the second paragraph. If it is somehow necessary to the current plot, then introduce it little by little throughout the game. If I saw this on a an introduction it would inspire facepalmage. Chances are your game doesn't need to introduce itself with a scrolling text bar about the history of the world. The player should ease into your environment because of the atmosphere, not because you hit them with a wall of text.

As for the second part, it's really generic, but it's better than the first paragraph. It could work if your character's personality is interesting, I guess. I don't know enough about your actual plot to really give any advice about your scenario. I'm not trying to rip you apart and I'm sorry if it's overly critical but including that "blight" stuff I really think is a mistake.

Your not being overly critical at all. In fact I'm in the process of taking your advice. I'll post the finished product later.
Well, I've been working on a dungeon-crawl styled game that opens up with a basic demonstration of the setting. What I'm having trouble with is transitioning this to relate to the characters.

The game takes place in a country parallel to Early England having recently been ravaged by a war. Widescale invasions have thrown the country into turmoil, leading to an era where poverty and crime are commonplace. You first are introduced to the nameless, silent protagonist, a veteran knight scavenging across deserted battlefields with several others to loot the corpses of others fallen and pawn their belongings for however many farthings you can hope to obtain.

I then ran into a block on how to continue this. The concepts of the game I had in mind involved several dead men's souls in Hell, laboring away and facing personal torture when the protagonist somehow manages to escape from wherever he is typically kept. He ventures out to find that the area around is, rather than any abstraction of freedom, a terrifying cavern built around his own doubts, fears, and sins. Throughout the crawl, the protagonist's version of Hell is literally his own mind.

The block came pretty simply. "How do I send these men to Hell? How do I present this?"
I could work backwards, maybe, the game opens up with them already in Hell and reflecting back on how they died...
I could be straightforward, maybe, the game opens up with the scavenging scene and somehow establishes their death...
Or maybe I could just not open the game up with anything besides gameplay. All the player sees is their own protagonist already wandering, and they take control immediately, every other aspect being referenced to at a later point...
Or I could just remove the concept of Hell altogether and make the game focus more on adventuring and dungeon crawling in the ravaged state of the country.

I'm just not sure with what to do at this point, so I'd like to hear your thoughts on it all.
I wrote a premise for the story in The Looming Spire a week or two ago, posted as a page in the game profile. http://rpgmaker.net/games/1939/prologue/

The premise is somewhat simple. I'll write up a summary of what I've already written so far.

A big mysterious tower appears atop a mountain in the countryside. It was almost as if it came from nowhere. Atop the tower rests a giant stone sphere. One day, the sphere began to glow like a dimly lit moon, and in the following weeks, thousands of winged beasts came flying from within the tower, searing across the sky and terrorizing the villages, murdering entire families, blazing a path of rampant and ruthless destruction.

Eventually the beasts were defeated by the rallying armies that came to aid, and their siege stopped. The stone sphere returned to it's normal, dormant, un-lit self once more.

Sixteen years later, the stone sphere begins to glow once more. The hero, in a strange turn of events, finds himself within the tower, or the Spire as it is known, alone and armed with only the sword his father used during the first time the sphere was glowing.

I'm struggling with whether or not I should introduce more characters to the story. Perhaps a "Navi"-type character that follows the hero around offering advice, or a second adventurer/rival type character that you bump into throughout your adventure in the Spire, both of which will allow the hero and his background to develop further.

Or should I take more of a Metroid-type approach, and create a mysterious and alien environment with no dialogue at all?

Choices, choices... still not firm on the matter.
post=144175
The game takes place in a country parallel to Early England having recently been ravaged by a war. Widescale invasions have thrown the country into turmoil, leading to an era where poverty and crime are commonplace. You first are introduced to the nameless, silent protagonist, a veteran knight scavenging across deserted battlefields with several others to loot the corpses of others fallen and pawn their belongings for however many farthings you can hope to obtain.
I then ran into a block on how to continue this. The concepts of the game I had in mind involved several dead men's souls in Hell, laboring away and facing personal torture when the protagonist somehow manages to escape from wherever he is typically kept. He ventures out to find that the area around is, rather than any abstraction of freedom, a terrifying cavern built around his own doubts, fears, and sins. Throughout the crawl, the protagonist's version of Hell is literally his own mind.
The block came pretty simply. "How do I send these men to Hell? How do I present this?".

I'll say what I said to Orpheus earlier. You DO NOT want to open with the "Widescale invasions have thrown the country into turmoil, leading to an era where poverty and crime are commonplace." Just leave it out completely. A barren, war-torn landscape conveys this clearly enough without you having to come right out and say it. Now for introducing the hellish aspect... I think it would a lot nicer to have the fact that this is hell gradually revealed while the protagonist catches glimpses of the manner of his death. However, if you do it this way, when the game opens, it looks like a very generic crawl. So the alternative would be to open with a scene of the mens' death, which I think is the best of the options you presented.

One note about this whole "terrifying cavern built around his own doubts, fears, and sins" thing... You're going to need one well-developed protagonist to pull this off. If you think he's just going to be a generic grizzled veteran, then the whole hell of doubts idea loses a lot of its appeal. What does he fear? What are his sins? That's really important to the way this game will play out.

post=144178
I wrote a premise for the story in The Looming Spire a week or two ago, posted as a page in the game profile. http://rpgmaker.net/games/1939/prologue/

The premise is somewhat simple. I'll write up a summary of what I've already written so far.

A big mysterious tower appears atop a mountain in the countryside. It was almost as if it came from nowhere. Atop the tower rests a giant stone sphere. One day, the sphere began to glow like a dimly lit moon, and in the following weeks, thousands of winged beasts came flying from within the tower, searing across the sky and terrorizing the villages, murdering entire families, blazing a path of rampant and ruthless destruction. Eventually the beasts were defeated by the rallying armies that came to aid, and their siege stopped. The stone sphere returned to it's normal, dormant, un-lit self once more. Sixteen years later, the stone sphere begins to glow once more. The hero, in a strange turn of events, finds himself within the tower, or the Spire as it is known, alone and armed with only the sword his father used during the first time the sphere was glowing.

I'm struggling with whether or not I should introduce more characters to the story. Perhaps a "Navi"-type character that follows the hero around offering advice, or a second adventurer/rival type character that you bump into throughout your adventure in the Spire, both of which will allow the hero and his background to develop further. Or should I take more of a Metroid-type approach, and create a mysterious and alien environment with no dialogue at all?

Okay, couple things about this. Again with the "a long time ago, there were a lot of monsters, then someone killed them all." Why is this the introduction to half of the plots presented so far... Cut that out. If you feel that the protagonist's connection to his father via the sword is big enough to your plot to warrant a cheesy history, then introduce it a bit at a time. Maybe mid-game the protagonist meets his father who explains the history. Or maybe he starts with the sword of "a great warrior" only to find his father's grave inside the tower from 16 years ago or whatever. There is so much more you can do with the story than what you have. Also, about the tower itself. Towers and Majick Spheres are pretty much a staple of crawlers as well. Not that's a bad trope, but I'm just saying it might not be a bad idea to change it up a bit.

Also, for your supporting character... Does your protagonist have any sort of personality/character at all? That would help to design the support. If he's really a generic guy with no background, then you can get away with him being the only character to go with that Metroid-style approach. Otherwise, I find the idea of a rival a lot more interesting than that of an advice-giver.
post=144188
I'll say what I said to Orpheus earlier. You DO NOT want to open with the "Widescale invasions have thrown the country into turmoil, leading to an era where poverty and crime are commonplace." Just leave it out completely. A barren, war-torn landscape conveys this clearly enough without you having to come right out and say it. Now for introducing the hellish aspect... I think it would a lot nicer to have the fact that this is hell gradually revealed while the protagonist catches glimpses of the manner of his death. However, if you do it this way, when the game opens, it looks like a very generic crawl. So the alternative would be to open with a scene of the mens' death, which I think is the best of the options you presented.

Of course, as I phrased 'demonstration' of the setting, not outright storytelling of it. There's no worse intro than a bland narrative over the history of a world you haven't seen enough of to care about. I was thinking that the scene of the men scavenging the battlefield would suffice well enough. Otherwise, I agree, though. That was my original plan in the case that I did decide to involve Hell in the whole affair. Thanks for the input.
post=144188
Okay, couple things about this. Again with the "a long time ago, there were a lot of monsters, then someone killed them all." Why is this the introduction to half of the plots presented so far... Cut that out. If you feel that the protagonist's connection to his father via the sword is big enough to your plot to warrant a cheesy history, then introduce it a bit at a time. Maybe mid-game the protagonist meets his father who explains the history. Or maybe he starts with the sword of "a great warrior" only to find his father's grave inside the tower from 16 years ago or whatever. There is so much more you can do with the story than what you have. Also, about the tower itself. Towers and Majick Spheres are pretty much a staple of crawlers as well. Not that's a bad trope, but I'm just saying it might not be a bad idea to change it up a bit.

Well, I had always intended to reveal the background story throughout the course of the game and not just right up front. The father figure is much more involved in the plot as the game progresses as well.

I will admit, I don't intend the background story to be the strongest aspect of the game. I really just want a reason to storm this giant dungeon and defeat the bad guys inside it. A spire full of evil monsters that preys on innocent people seems compelling enough reason to enter and explore the Spire; however, I do plan to have lots of diverse areas of the dungeon that tell a story about the history of the Spire and it's mysteries. I want the Spire to be a world all in itself, including a society of minions that you actually have to interact with in ways other than violence in order to progress.

I think I will toy with the idea of a "rival" character though. That could be real fun.
I like the basic premise, narc. I was actually thinking that it whether or not it would be a good idea to put a helper character in the game is heavily dependent on the type of game it is. Metroid didn't have one because the entire atmosphere lent itself to being mysterious and unwrapping what exactly happened. If that's the type of game your game is shaping out to be, think about that. Or, alternatively, if your game is like, say, Zelda or Alundra, where it's driven by a character narrative, then a rival or a helper, or both might help that along.
I've been working on the cutscenes for Lyonell Manor. I've already finished a few, but I thought I'd share one with you all and see if you think it sounds alright. Anyone who has played the demo to completion will probably get what's happening.

Epoch and Elise enter Lyonell Manor.

ELISE: So this is Lyonell Manor? The energy of this place...it's like nothing I've ever felt before. The manor itself...feels alive.
ELISE: What on Linguardia could be emanating such a powerful aura?
EPOCH: Good question.

Epoch slowly walks further inside. He stops for a moment after hearing nearby sound. All of a sudden, Slade emerges forth from the darkness, pushing Epoch against the stone wall with the tip of his sword against Epoch's throat.

ELISE: Epoch!

Elise rushes over to help Epoch.

EPOCH: Urggh...Slade...what are you....?
SLADE: Hmph. I see it really is you.

Slade withdraws his sword.

EPOCH: Huff...who the hell did you think it was?
SLADE: I thought perhaps you were the demon I was seeking.
EPOCH: Demon? I thought you said you came here to recover something?
SLADE: That's right. This demon likely possesses what I seek. That is assuming I'm not too late.

They hear a distant roar from within the manor's depths.

ELISE: I assume that's him?
SLADE: Without a doubt.

Slade pauses to contemplate.

SLADE: It seems this demon has been here for many centuries.

Slade looks over at Elise.

SLADE: As someone who is adept at the heraldric arts, you've surely felt it by now. The dimension of this building is unstable. The structure itself has actually become a living, breathing part of the demon.

Slade pauses a moment and then begins walking further into the manor.

EPOCH: Wait! Hold on a second!
SLADE: What is it? I don't have time to stand around and chat with you. I have a job to do.
EPOCH: If you're looking for what I think you are, then this pertains to me as well.
EPOCH: I...I have to know the truth.

Elise looks at Epoch confused. Slade contemplates.

SLADE: Fine, but if you get in my way, I won't hesitate to cut you both down.

Anyway, that's the first scene. Any thoughts?
post=144248
I've been working on the cutscenes for Lyonell Manor. I've already finished a few, but I thought I'd share one with you all and see if you think it sounds alright. Anyone who has played the demo to completion will probably get what's happening. Anyway, that's the first scene. Any thoughts?

Eh... It's okay. Probably passable if you're not trying to sell your game on story, but otherwise it needs some work to get it up to good.

Don't use "..." so much. Ellipses are fine once in a while to indicate a character is trailing off, but "Urggh...Slade...what are you....?" is a bit much. Consider using a new text box, a dash, or just cutting it out altogether. Too many of these things make your writing look like it should be some breathy Twilight romance scene. For instance, that sentence could be rewritten as:
"Urggh!"
"Slade, what are you --"
If nothing else, it's a bit more active.

Change the flowery language. It's possible to be dramatic without being melodramatic. I'm just going to drop a list of words from your dialogue that strike me as a bit trite:
- aura
- possesses
- surely
- pertains
And a few others like that. But anyway, if Slade's supposed to be some loquacious nobleman or something then it's not strong enough and it just looks like bad writing.

That's about it, I'll do a quick rewrite because I'm bored

ELISE: So this is Lyonell Manor? This atmosphere's unsettling. It's not like anything I've ever felt before, almost as if the building was alive.
ELISE: What do you think could be the source of that energy?
EPOCH: Good question.
*Epoch walks in, Slade pins him against the wall.*
ELISE: Epoch!
EPOCH: Urggh, Slade!
EPOCH: What are you --
SLADE: Hmph. I guess it's you.
*Slade withdraws his sword.*
EPOCH: Huff...
EPOCH: Who the hell did you think it was?
SLADE: You could've been the demon I'm seeking.
EPOCH: Demon? I thought you said you came here to recover something?
SLADE: That's right. It's likely that the demon has what I'm looking for. Well, assuming I'm not too late.
*ROAR*
ELISE: That's him?
SLADE: Without a doubt.
SLADE: He's probably been here for centuries.
SLADE: You're adept at the heraldic arts; haven't you sensed it by now? This building's dimension is unstable. The structure itself has become a living, breathing part of the demon.

EPOCH: Wait! Hold on a second!
SLADE: What is it? I don't have time to stand around and chat with you. I have a job to do.
EPOCH: If you're looking for what I think you are, then I'm involved as well. I'm coming.
SLADE: Fine, but if you get in my way, I won't hesitate to cut you down.
kitten2021
Returning from RMVX Death
Soooo.... We post a part of our game in here or the main plot of our game in here?
You can post something that you're still working on plot-wise. Or that you've just figured out/changed/whatever. As long as it has something to do with your plot, it's fine.
kitten2021
Returning from RMVX Death
Such as... something like this?
(Mind you this is a rough idea of what I have in mind for the game)

“… They could finally see the light at the end of the cavern's tunnel they were in; the cold breeze that greeted them when they exited was enough to make them want to turn back and return to the dark, cold abyss they had just exited. Stepping outside they could see nothing but white… There was white snow on the ground, covering the dead weeds and the hard rocky gravel beneath their feet. There was white snow falling from the sky in sheets, freezing the air and everything else around them. “Storms to strong! We need to wait it out a little before we continue.” Lo-Hing had to yell over the sound of the storm just to be heard, he saw Ken-Cho nod his head and turned to check on Yeaone, “Look…” The soldiers stopped their movements and turned to the young maid who was looking out into the raging storm with a look of amazement on her face, “Look, over there… Is that… a woman and child out there?” Lo-Hing and Ken-Cho both turned quickly in the direction she had been pointing and were just as shocked and amazed as she was at the sight they saw.
At the center of the frozen glade, in the midst of the storm, there were two figures: a tall woman â€" clad in the signature gear of an assassin; and behind her, against her back, was a small child (6 or 7 years of age) â€" clad in the signature gear of a mage. All the snow around the two had been melted away; the ground had turned a darker color; proof that the little mage could in fact use the skills of fire, at least. The assassin had done her job well; the bodies were a bloody mess on the ground and none showed signs of moving. Both fighters were heavily panting, proof that their battles had just recently ended…
Yeaone stepped further out into the storm in their direction; before she could get too far though, Ken-Cho grabbed her arm and pulled her back towards the caverns mouth. “You stay here until we make sure it's safe, OK?” Yeaone only nodded her head and stepped back into the cave to wait for the OK from the men. “I don't like the looks of this, Lo… And it's too blasted cold out here, bad enough in the blasted cave as it is!” Lo-Hing hummed his agreement, deciding it useless to waste body heat on an answer and placed his hand loosely on the hilt of his sword, seeing out the corner of his eye Ken-Cho do the same with his gun; they both started moving further into the storm towards their awaiting targets."
Pages: 1