DOING IT! - WEEK NINE

Pages: 1
DOING IT!

Week the ninth.

DOING IT! is a community event ran each week where a prompt is given and those who wish to fulfill it post their work here. It is entirely optional, you may join at any time - even after a week has finished. Feel free to post as many pieces as you like. Feedback is encouraged.

DETAILED EXPLANATION/QUESTIONS/SUGGESTIONS HERE

RULES
- Post your work in the thread, preferably with some small explanation about it. Whether that be about any troubles you had fulfilling the prompt, how you went about it or how you think it turned out is up to you.
- Feedback is highly encouraged, but optional. No flaming please. Constructional critique is preferred. If you see a piece without feedback, consider leaving even a line about it. Keep feedback polite.
- Keep posts on/in topic. Try not to get too off-track, please.
- "Borrowing". As these threads may include both original graphical and musical creations please ask the creators instead of just adding them to your 'collections'. If authors don't mind adding full works, go ahead, but partial works are also encouraged. If someone states in their post that they do not want their work used, please try to refrain yourself from grabbing with your grubby hands. It makes you look like a fool and a thief when others' point it out. People have been given bad reputations and ostracized from communities for doing this.
- You may add to this topic at any time. A link to this and the other weekly topics to come will be added to the main topic each week. Feel free to add new work to any of them at any time.

If you have any questions, suggestions or ideas for prompts please see the
original thread.

ENJOY YOURSELVES!

PROMPT: NUMBER CRUNCHER
Numbers, where would we be without them? Well, we wouldn't have computers for a start... So let's pay homage to those digits that keep the world (and our games) turning. Take a hero, monster or event and do some number crunching. Whether it be working out probabilities, strengths, weaknesses or amounts, let's get our crunch on!

Go forth and create!

Previous Topics
WEEK NINE: NUMBER CRUNCHER

halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
I guess now's as good a time as any to share the system by which I determine the stats for my monsters.

There were some complaints in the past (from the handful of people that played the old Pokémon Hunters) that my baddies took way too long to finish off, so I did some tweaking to my numbers to remedy that.

First off, everything is based on a scale of 1 to 10. Any given monster's stats will fall somewhere within that range; for example, a Rattata would have low HP, so it would probably be a 1, whereas a Charizard would have mountains of HP and likely be a 10. Anyway, a scale of 1 to 10 is applied to every basic monster stat.

Next, there are the amounts these stats increase by. I based it off of the scale RTP monsters seemed to follow in the generic set provided with RM2000. Thus, Defense starts at and increases by 2, 3 for Agility, 4 for Mind, and 5 for Attack. Since HP and MP are just expendable resources, they can be a bit higher without making the monster physically tougher. I have MP increase by 10s and, previously, HP increased by 20s. Since that proved far too much, I knocked it down to 15 instead. That's still a lot, but I like my baddies to be hardy so the player must find better ways to take them down quickly instead of the old 'mash enter to win' play style.

Now, to make that a little more clear, here's how the scale and the stats relate to one another. For an example, we'll take Defense (which increases by 2). That means a monster with a 1 on the Defense scale would have 2 Defense. Likewise, a monster with a 10 on the Defense scale would have 20 Defense. Anything inbetween would be assigned like so:

Def scale : Def stat
1 : 2
2 : 4
3 : 6
4 : 8
5 : 10
6 : 12
7 : 14
8 : 16
9 : 18
10 : 20

EDIT: More to come, I hit Submit instead of Preview. :X

EDIT EDIT: And it somehow posted twice! D:
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
So, anyway, it works exactly the same for the other stats, just with different numbers and increases for each one. But this is only the beginning. These stats are way too low for a serious challenge, and are only suitable for the earliest areas of the game. But that's where area increments come in.

My games have always been divided into unique sections, separated by a boss fight and geographic location. Between areas, these stats increase by half their maximum value. That means, while the scale above would be Defense in area 1, in area 2 it would look like...

Def scale : Def stat
1 : 12
2 : 14
3 : 16
4 : 18
5 : 20
6 : 22
7 : 24
8 : 26
9 : 28
10 : 30

...and in area 3, the min/max would be 22/40, and so on. Apply this to the whole game, and the end result is remarkably well-balanced. At least in RM2000. Now if only my games didn't suck for other reasons, maybe all this wouldn't be so wasted on me.

Ah, but that's the other set of numbers I tweaked, too! In the previous PH's, elements played almost no role in battle whatsoever. Weaknesses and resistances made little sense, and what few there were were inconsequential because they didn't make a big enough difference. But, in my latest project, I upped the ante by allowing exploited weaknesses to double the strength of a spell while a resistance would halve it. Also, weaknesses and resistances are now based on logical combinations (and not on Pokémon's existing bullshit system of bullshit). There might be some player expectation issues there, but only time will tell. I also changed around the effect rates of status problems (thanks to Craze's thread on the subject).

So, my numbers are pretty thoroughly crunched at this point. Now all I have to do is finish the damn game so no one can play it and appreciate all this effort.
A basic numpers-related thing I do for balancing is to make sure every character's base stats add up to the same total, as well as HP/MP adding up to their own total, so it's impossible for any one character to really exceed the rest. (The exception to this rule in my current game is the main character who's supposed to have sub-par stats, and thus uses lower totals than the rest of the cast.) A side-effect of this is that HP and MP lack the gap seen in most JRPGs where HP is often a full digit higher than MP. Although personally I prefer them to be closer like that!

I don't know how many people do the same thing, but I feel like it tends to work pretty well. Biggest problem for me is just finding the right total to use.

My current game doesn't have levels, but if it did, it'd be easy enough to do the same thing with each character's max level stats (with an increased total, obviously).

Not really number crunching I guess, but I feel like most of the crap I could post about would be around 3 pages long. So I hope this is considered on-topic for being numpers-related~
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
In my current project, every character and every critter has a Level and a Scale. Those two factors largely determine what the stats of that particular actor is. As an example, the easiest critter in the game is considered a "worthless" critter. Rewards for defeating it are fairly minimal, and they are only a problem with continuous fighting.

Characters are whatever level his or her experience field says he or she should be. They are all considered "normal" scale. However, their stats are also based on roles. If a character gains a bonus to one stat, the "opposite" stat gets a decrease. Examples: Goho has the highest STR, but the lowest INT. Toshie has the highest HP, but the lowest MP. Katai has the highest SPD, but the lowest DEF.

Monsters get bonuses and decreases as well, but those are linked to what element they are most attuned to. Fire-based critters trade STR for INT. Wind trades DEF for SPD. Water trades INT for STR. Earth trades DEF for SPD. Divine trades HP for MP. Damned trades MP for HP.

Weird how there's two posts in a row that deal with numbers, but don't actually print any. o_0
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
oh boy numbers

I will be right back *dives into spreadsheets*
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
Here, have a damage algorithm.

total damage = ( 30 + ( offense stat * 2 ) - defense stat ) * ( ( offense buff - defense buff ) + 1 ) 
* ( skill damage rate ) * ( elemental affinity ) * ( elemental boost )

Offense Stat is the statistic - either the attacker's Strength or Magic - relevant to the attack in question. Obviously, a claw attack uses Strength, while an explosive spell uses Magic. Some skills specifically break this rule - for example, Chi Blast uses the Magic stat for its damage despite its Physical element of damage.

Defense Stat is always, at this point, the target's Vitality. It seems to be overwhelmed by offense when one glances at the formula - each point of offense increases damage by 2, while each point of Vitality decreases damage by only 1. However, Vitality wards off both physical and magical damage, making it a viable - and perhaps even necessary - investment.

Offense Buff the enhancement applied to the attacker's damage output for that type of attack - i.e., a physical damage buff applied to a physical attack. The modifier is 1 normally, increasing by 0.1 for each stack of the relevant offense buff that the attacker carries, up to a maximum of 1.4. For example, if the attacker has been buffed twice, their damage is increased by 20% (a multiplier of 1.2). This makes an opponent that has been stockpiling heavily very dangerous. For offense reduction, the modifier is instead reduced by 0.1 for each stack of the debuff, to a minimum of 0.6, or 60% of normal damage.

Defense Buff is the enhancement applied to the target's damage mitigation - i.e. buffs that reduce the damage that the target takes from attacks. The modifier is 1 normally, decreasing by 0.1 for each stack of the buff applied, to a minimum of 0.6. A full defensive stack of buffs reduces damage to 60% of its normal result (a multiplier of 0.6), making a heavily entrenched enemy extremely difficult to dislodge. Defensive debuffs, on the other hand, increase this modifier by 0.1 for each stack, to a maximum of 1.4. This means that a fully exposed enemy isn't long for this world.

Skill Damage Rate is the modifier that gives the action its innate damage potential. For standard physical attacks, this modifier is 1. For every other skill in the game, this varies. For example, the physical HP-draining skill Devourer, this modifier is 1.75. However, Devourer has a cost of 20% of the user's HP. The costs of the heavier-damage skills cause bulkier stallers to avoid them, favoring the standard physical attack, weaker skills, or support actions. Frailer sweepers, on the other hand, favor the added power of these attacks, and usually build themselves to deal with the drawbacks. The highest Skill Damage Rate modifier is 10, held by the elemental kamikaze skills. The lowest is 0.5, held by Stone Touch, a weak Petrification attack. Skill Damage Rate averages in the 1.0 to 2.5 range.

Elemental Affinity is the obvious modifier for striking an elemental weakness, resistance, immunity, or absorption. The modifier for weakness is 1.5, the modifier for resistance is 0.25, the modifier for immunities is 0, and the modifier for absorption is -0.75. If the attack is a critical hit, the modifiers become 2.25, 0.375, 0, and -1.125, in order. (i.e., an additional 50% increase.)

Elemental Boost is the modifier for the attacker's bonuses with attacks of that element. The base of this is 1, which is then multiplied by each of the attacker's bonuses. For example, the passive skill Fire Boost multiplies this modifier by 1.25 if the bearer attacks with a Fire skill. The passive skill Mana Flare increases all outgoing magic damage by 1.5; this occurs in this modifier. The command skill Magic Zone multiplies the damage of the attacker's next magic attack by 2.5. When a sleeping target is damaged, this modifier is multiplied by 2. This modifier acts as a catch-all for the many erroneous effects that impact the damage calculation. The Elemental Boost modifier usually averages around 1 to 2.5, sometimes reaching 4 or so with specialized mono-element builds. If one single-mindedly stockpiles boosts and enhancements, this can be as high as 15 or more - but the preparations and risks involved, as well as the ease of disruption, heavily discourage such a build.

sieg numbers

EDIT: Thanks to Tonfa, a rather glaring defense buff issue has been fixed.
My numbers aren't that extensive. But I'll go over what I do for battle.

Damage Algorithm = (User's Offense * Skill modifier / 10) - (Target Defense / 20) + (Random Number 1-5) * (Elemental Modifiers) + (Critical Check) / (Target's Barrier)

Offense: That stat used for offense can either be Power or Knowledge. Power is used for Melee and Knowledge is used for Magic. This stat is divided by ten to make up your base damage.

Defense: The stat called Parry reduces damage from both Melee and Magic attacks. It is divided by twenty before being taken into the formula. Since it is divided by twenty in the formula, this means that damage will always be dealt and that it is very hard to overcome damage with defense. Only reduce it.

Skill Modifier: Skill modifiers are merely a single number that the offensive stat is multiplied by at the beginning of the formula. It can be a number anywhere from 2-15. Different skills have different skill modifiers. Obviously higher skills have higher modifiers generally, but since they cost more EP(MP) it's a tradeoff. As a general rule. The less hits a skill has, the higher the skill modifier. To a point that is, the highest skill modifier a starter single hit skill could have is 4.

Random Number: This is merely bonus damage that is added onto the base damage in order to diversify the numbers seen. It is randomly chosen and can be anywhere from one to five.

Elemental Modifiers: Nearly every attack has an element attached. Depending on the target's elemental rating, the damage is reduced or multiplied accordingly. Each Character/Enemy has an elemental resistance that ranges from -1 to 3 on each element.

If it's -1, then damage is tripled.

If it's 0, then damage is doubled.

If it's 1, then it does normal damage.

If it's 2, then damage is divided by two.

If it's 3 then damage is divided by three.

So it's important to check resistances and use the right skills and spells so that you don't waste EP doing little damage.

Critical Check: Depending on the skill in use, there will be a different critical check used. There are four types. 1/2, 1/3, 1/5, and 1/10 chances of striking a critical. As a general rule, the less hits a skill has, the higher it's critical chance. The more hits, the less chance there is to crit.

Barrier: This is a value that all enemies possess. It is like a second HP value. As long as they still have Barrier remaining, then at the end of the damage algorithm, the calculated damage is divided by 2. Even critical damage is reduced by this. Some skills can ignore barrier and strike directly at HP.

Another thing to note about this all is that the player will never miss. I despise missing and I facepalm every time I see it happen in other games. Therefore, I got rid of it. I do believe that is it for my numbers. I'm not a big math person so I try to keep it as simple as I can.
Pages: 1