DOING IT! ~ WEEK TWO

Pages: first 12 next last
DOING IT!

Week the second.

DOING IT! is a community event ran each week where a prompt is given and those who wish to fulfill it post their work here. It is entirely optional, you may join at any time - even after a week has finished. Feel free to post as many pieces as you like. Feedback is encouraged.

DETAILED EXPLANATION/QUESTIONS/SUGGESTIONS HERE

RULES
- Post your work in the thread, preferably with some small explanation about it. Whether that be about any troubles you had fulfilling the prompt, how you went about it or how you think it turned out is up to you.
- Feedback is highly encouraged, but optional. No flaming please. Constructional critique is preferred. If you see a piece without feedback, consider leaving even a line about it. Keep feedback polite.
- Keep posts on/in topic. Try not to get too off-track, please.
- "Borrowing". As these threads may include both original graphical and musical creations please ask the creators instead of just adding them to your 'collections'. If authors don't mind adding full works, go ahead, but partial works are also encouraged. If someone states in their post that they do not want their work used, please try to refrain yourself from grabbing with your grubby hands. It makes you look like a fool and a thief when others' point it out. People have been given bad reputations and ostracized from communities for doing this.
- You may add to this topic at any time. A link to this and the other weekly topics to come will be added to the main topic each week. Feel free to add new work to any of them at any time.

If you have any questions, suggestions or ideas for prompts please see the
original thread.

ENJOY YOURSELVES!

PROMPT: A CACOPHONY OF SOUND
Alright, so for week two lets head into newer waters and focus on sounds. Whether this be a sound effect you've found yourself using over and over again, music you've created for your project/for fun, an mp3/midi/wav file you found or some general musical/sound ideas for certain parts of your project that you've been considering.

Remember, ask before 'sampling' others' original work.
And you can always add more to the previous topics whenever you like.

Go forth and create!

WEEK TWO: A CACOPHONY OF SOUND

Oh, alright. I'll get the ball rolling then, shall I?

Now, I can't exactly make music - I suck at it and don't have the talent for any sort of musicianship. I can, however, edit songs to make them suit my needs. (Thank you anvil!) So here, have an edit of a 'Nightmare on Elm Street' midi.
Original: http://rpgmaker.net/users/Liberty/locker/freddy.mid
Edit: http://rpgmaker.net/users/Liberty/locker/freddyredux.mid
(Save link as - I'm not sure how to get them working ^^; )

The edited version was done for a secret collaborative project, but it didn't make the cut. I may post another one or two here later on. ^.^
edchuy
You the practice of self-promotion
Liberty, seeing your sample has given an idea. I'm going to play around with Audacity to see what kind of edit I can make of an existing file. I would like to have been a sound engineer.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
Ah, sound engineering...an area I know almost nothing about. I've chopped up songs in Audacity before to make them loop in a game or give them more loops for longer listening, but I haven't been able to do much of anything with midis in it. So I try to pick stuff that sounds good.

I've gotten good at picking appropriate RTP music for things, but there's a lot of hate around those...so I chose something different for Super Porygon 3D. I borrowed the soundtrack of another overglorified supposedly 3D game: Sonic 3D Blast!

Panic Puppet Zone Act 2

It took me about 30 pages into Google to find the full version. *cries* Most copies are only half of it!
Ack sound! My kryptonite, I am powerless. :D I thought about drawing a sound monster but it sounds like we're focusing on the sound itself. Well I have one thing I can contribute. The following midi is the battle theme for my cartoon game. Well, at least leading up to the first boss:

http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/8160/locker/Meg_Week2.mid

The party hears that the first boss is an octopus terrorizing the duck pond. When they eventually make it there and see a few harmless ducks, it turns out that the octopus is actually an eight headed platypus hydra. His name will hopefully change each round of the battle, from "Octopus?" to "Not An Octopus" to "Is So An Octopus" to "I Can't Talk To You When You Get Like This." I'm not sure if I can code that. But my meager contribution for this week is something we know I can do: during this boss fight, the music changes to the exact same tune, but a dark MP3 version made up of eight voices going "Quack" in a capella. It will sound very gothic and churchy, but still be the cartoon theme and hopefully be ridiculous.
Halibabica, I know that the point of this is to share our work and such, but I feel the need to ask you anyway. There is a point in one of my newest games (not up yet) where you piece would fit perfectly, can I use it?
Megan, that sounds great! I love the idea of the name changing and the music changing during the battle. ^.^
I'm also not good at creating music which leaves me simply looking for songs that sound good. I've ended up compiling music from really obscure commercial soundtracks. Since I'm aiming towards a feel of non-chiptune 80/90's music, most of the songs I've found are from Team Sampling Masters, and Team Supersweep.

My favorite of theirs I've found is from a really obscure fighting game called "Fighting Layer." It's an arcade game released only in japan that wasn't really popular, but had a GREAT soundtrack. Half of the soundtrack was done by Ayako Saso, while the other half was done by Takayuki Aihara, both members of Sampling Masters who also worked on the music for the Street Fighter EX series. Here's a couple of their works which I've decided to use.

Boss Theme:

Warehouse Area:

----------------------------------------

I've also been messing around with volume settings, and other music choice options. If you don't like the game's music you can always mute it or play another song.
Ocean
Resident foodmonster
http://rpgmaker.net/users/Ocean/locker/KXSakurabatitle1.mp3
Asked Kaede for a title song and she gave me this! She had also helped me with the soundtrack for Paradise Blue, and has given me some new songs for Azulea. I haven't yet gotten around to composing songs for Azulea myself, I tend to do that late in the development process, or sometimes when the rest of the game is done.

This song is not up for grabs.

Been trying to figure out an excuse to use this.

I haven't had much luck.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
from Everguard
Halibabica, I know that the point of this is to share our work and such, but I feel the need to ask you anyway. There is a point in one of my newest games (not up yet) where you piece would fit perfectly, can I use it?

Well...it's not technically mine, so it's not my position to say yes or no. If you have no problem with borrowing music from commercial games, go right ahead!
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Not sure if this counts, but I've been using a sound effect that I made way back in highschool. It's my infamous "Power Up!" sfx, which at the time was a parody of Altered Beast's similar sfx. In some games I use the Altered Beast 'Power Up'. Though when I can, it's my own sfx. It's become something of an in-joke, as I use it in literally every game I make. (where possible)
Should I post it here or is this off-topic?
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
http://rpgmaker.net/users/Solitayre/locker/SolitayreShadows.mid

This is a midi I wrote many years ago. It's nothing great but it seemed relevant to the topic at hand!
Dudesoft
Not sure if this counts, but I've been using a sound effect that I made way back in highschool. It's my infamous "Power Up!" sfx, which at the time was a parody of Altered Beast's similar sfx. In some games I use the Altered Beast 'Power Up'. Though when I can, it's my own sfx. It's become something of an in-joke, as I use it in literally every game I make. (where possible)
Should I post it here or is this off-topic?

This is the best sound effect, post it!

Largely unrelated but
is an often missed musical gem of The Ur-Quan Masters with the problem being it is only played in a three second menu.If you're going to make a kick ass music track give it time to shine!

*edit*
That Fighting Layer music is pretty nice!
Sure, Dudesoft, post it up. We're focusing on sounds and music so anything to do with either is considered A-Okay!
GRS: That is pretty damn nice! I can't believe the developers didn't use it for something more substantial.That's just mad!
Oh GOD GRS that song is AMAZING

Like it's so good it is blowing my mind! I loved U-QM already, now I love it more. INTERNET HIGH FIVE

I made the starts of an RM2k3 game once (from scratch!) heavily based on U-QM. I wish I hadn't lost it in an old HDD crash, I'd dump it somewhere otherwise. Maybe I'll start that up again, I can't have gotten WORSE at making things from scratch. *rubs chin*
Nice to see some other UQM fans around

Remixes (or just plain new tracks) of the original SC2/UQM soundtrack are available here. I'd suggest you give some a listen although none are as good as Under a Red Sky. There's no Syreen remix but nobody cared about them anyways
kitten2021
Returning from RMVX Death
post=139575
Nice to see some other UQM fans around

Remixes (or just plain new tracks) of the original SC2/UQM soundtrack are available here. I'd suggest you give some a listen although none are as good as Under a Red Sky. There's no Syreen remix but nobody cared about them anyways

Believe it or not, I am currently making a game where a lot of these sound tracks would work perfectly in it! Thank you SO much GRS, I was worried where I would find the 'right' music for my game. :D
kitten2021
Returning from RMVX Death
Oh, don't mean to double post, but Liberty, question for you...
I was busy at work, so does that mean since I missed last weeks thing, I can't post there anymore...?
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
post=139589
Oh, don't mean to double post, but Liberty, question for you...
I was busy at work, so does that mean since I missed last weeks thing, I can't post there anymore...?
You can post in any prompt at any time, like the original thread states.
Pages: first 12 next last