BOSS BATTLES

Pages: 1
Hey everyone!

I've been back to working on my game and I could really use some help from the community. I've gone back to redoing a few sections, namely boss fights. I realize I need some help in that department. I'm trying to create some interesting variations, but I'm not the best coder and they're not turning out as well as I'd hoped. If anyone can help me out, I can send you some screenshots of the events and you can offer some advice or tell me what I'm doing wrong. I'd really appreciate any help and this would allow me to get a new demo out asap.
Thank you!
author=Linkforce
Hey everyone!

I've been back to working on my game and I could really use some help from the community. I've gone back to redoing a few sections, namely boss fights. I realize I need some help in that department. I'm trying to create some interesting variations, but I'm not the best coder and they're not turning out as well as I'd hoped. If anyone can help me out, I can send you some screenshots of the events and you can offer some advice or tell me what I'm doing wrong. I'd really appreciate any help and this would allow me to get a new demo out asap.
Thank you!

Go here: http://rpgmaker.net/tutorials/472/
it might help you.
Oh, I'm using 2k3. I probably should've clarified ^_^'
Supaguy's article suggestion applies to 2k3 as well. You can also read this one here.

Typically one would design a list of all the existing attacks and skills within the game, then match them up to create interesting skill sets.
Make sure you experiment with all of the skills' and status ailments' parameters.
Also make sure that your bosses are different from each other. For instance don't have them all use offensive magic. Have some of them very speedy and others very slow. Have a swarm of weak bosses team up instead of having a single foe. etc.
Well actually I'm looking for help more-so in the coding aspect. I already have some ideas for bosses and I have some concepts that I've tried to implement but they aren't really working. So I'm actually looking for help in making the bosses come to life, not thinking of ones
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
List some of your ideas, then, and hopefully we can help you figure out how to implement them.
What I'm doing for one of my projects goes something like this:

First, I record the boss's stats into a few variables. If you're using a scan power, you probably already have one of these laying around. I bounce out of the battle every turn to reference a master common event. In the event I check for things like hero is in Status X, hero has Item X equipped, Hero's Stat is >= X.

Then, I use that info to toggle a group of switches. These switches also happen to be triggers for the Boss's skills/behaviors. Some of these might have to be specially evented (if you want a specific attack to strike a specific party member reliably). That way the boss can respond to the player, strip them of their buffs after a couple of rounds, paralyze the one holding the +5 Weapon of Boss Kill, and even apply status ailments to party members whose stats are too high for comfort.

Since you're recording boss stats into variables, you can also check to see what status ailments they are suffering from (if they effect stats). This way you can have the boss counter the debuffs every now and then, forcing the team to have to adapt on the fly instead of just "spam status effects, spam heavy hits, heal every turn, victory!"

You can also have multiple copies of the same boss, but with different resistances and statistics. You can switch it based on hp/mp levels, or through switches that you control with your master common event.

Just hammering on the same attack every turn is no fun. If you have the boss's weaknesses and strengths changing dynamically (when applicable via story/boss type/whatever), it should make for a more fun and engaging battle!
Killer Wolf those are some great ideas! I'll look into them, definitely.

As for the most prominent issue, this is a boss I have been working on for a while but I can't get it to flow naturally.

So I have a boss where every few turns it uses a skill that turns it into stone for a few turns making all physical attacks do 0 damage. Then after a few turns it goes back to normal form.
The way I have it set up is with two different boss "monsters", one as the normal one and one as the stone one. When the normal boss uses the skill I switch it with the stone version and vice versa. There are a few problems that happen here.

One, I can't get the boss monster to switch to the stone one immediately after using the skill. It always switches once it takes another turn, which really takes away from the flow of the boss's moves. So it goes, skill, hero takes a few hits, then stone. I've been trying to make it turn to stone immediately, but I just can't get it.

And two, once it is in stone form, I can't seem to get it to stay in that form for more than one turn.

If anyone can help me perfect this method I'd appreciate the help. If you need some screenshots to get a better idea, let me know and I'll provide you with whatever you need! Thank you!
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Well, if you want something to happen immediately upon the skill being used, you want to make the skill turn on the switch, and make the battle event's condition be that the switch is turned on. It sounds like your battle event's condition is 1x turns or something instead, which is why it's not happening until the next time a turn occurs.

As for making it revert after a certain number of turns, for this one you do want a battle event that runs every 1x turns. If the boss is transformed, increase a variable by 1 in this event. If the variable reaches 10 or 20 or whatever, transform the boss back and change the variable back to 0.

Note that an event with a condition of 1x turns will run every time any party member or any enemy gets a turn. So making the boss change back after 10 turns will probably mean that the boss and all party members got to act twice (unless someone is dead or paralyzed, or you don't have a full party, or characters aren't all the same speed, or someone is slowed or hasted, or there's more than one enemy, or...).
author=LockeZ
Well, if you want something to happen immediately upon the skill being used, you want to make the skill turn on the switch, and make the battle event's condition be that the switch is turned on. It sounds like your battle event's condition is 1x turns or something instead, which is why it's not happening until the next time a turn occurs.

How do I make the monster transform through an event condition though?
LockeZ
Beats the hell out of me. It sounds like a ridiculous amount of work and I would never suggest doing it that way. You said you already had it doing that, so I went with it. I would just give it a spell that changes its elemental resistance to physical damage, and bypass the whole mess.
*Head explodes*

Well the skill activates a switch which activates the transformation into a different monster. That's what causes the wait. The problem is trying to make the switch the skill activates transform the monster immediately.
Pages: 1