WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
Might be a weird question to ask on a board like this, but who here has experience owning an aquatic turtle? What were the costs for equipment like? I'm considering on adopting a traumatized red-eared slider from my sister but the costs of some of those aquatic turtle kits seem really intimidating.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
You can go all out and end up spending thousands of dollars on a pond with a filtration system, but why would you?

Buy a ten dollar kiddie pool, fill it with pebbles, like for an aquarium, include some larger decorative rocks, buy a cheap filter, and make sure he has stuff he can climb out of the water on and bask. He'll enjoy canned salmon and tuna plus fruits and veggies. Make sure he can get into the sun each day. It's not that hard or very expensive to take care of him. There's no need for an expensive set up.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Firefox was giving me the business when I tried to clear my history, so I decided to (in a moment of madness) be a boss and shut it down at the source by deleting those "places" files. Works like a charm.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=pianotm
You can go all out and end up spending thousands of dollars on a pond with a filtration system, but why would you?

Buy a ten dollar kiddie pool, fill it with pebbles, like for an aquarium, include some larger decorative rocks, buy a cheap filter, and make sure he has stuff he can climb out of the water on and bask. He'll enjoy canned salmon and tuna plus fruits and veggies. Make sure he can get into the sun each day. It's not that hard or very expensive to take care of him. There's no need for an expensive set up.
We ended up getting a 20-gallon tank, a thermostat to check water temperature and a UV bulb for this particular one tonight, and so far, the prices over at my local Petco weren't that bad. The next step tomorrow is buying a filter and platform for him to bask on.

I might as well introduce him, too. This is Max, a 5-inch slider turtle who originally belonged to my sister's boyfriend. He shared his tank with a larger, healthier male, named Chubby Jarvis... and hormones and a desire for territorial dominance kicked in, to put it lightly...

The above image is that of the scar Max has on his nose. Back when I was pet-sitting these guys, Chubby would constantly harass, bite, and push Max away when feeding. He's developed a very timid personality as a result, and tends to shy away from ever picking up any food, on the account that he'd risk getting beat up for taking "Chubby's" meal, which raised a real concern with me. The final straw was when Chubby opened the scar on Max's nose, and I had to treat his bleeding wound. I brought it up with my sis and we agreed to give Max a trial period at my house in efforts to separate the two turtles.

I hope it all works out. Part of the reason for adopting this guy is to see it have a better life outside of a bully's shadow.
This reminds me when I had my red-eared slider terrapin. Michael was with us for already 4/5 years and I thought he'd want some "company" since he always escapes from his basin (lol) so I bought a new terrapin and put it together with him.... (Michael's already the size of my palm btw). He got so excited of the new terrapin and would constantly "play" with it. I don't think he was bullying the new guy since I don't remember seeing him "bite" him or w/e, but he was really REALLY excited to have him.

The new terrapin died a couple of weeks later. I probably should have separated them since Michael could basically "flatten" him (he's 3,4 times his size).

e: this is so late but I've just googled my name out of curiosity. Apparently Ivory Jones is a character in Miami Vice. Apparently, he is also a pimp in it. LOL!
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
Sorry to interrupt your conversation about pets, everyone.

I have a short site-related question which I think is too silly to make its own topic for, so I'll just ask it here: Is it possible to send a PM to multiple people at once? And if so, how would I do that? Do I just separate their names with a comma or something like that?
Comma separate iirc

Anhywho I am thinking about The Legend of Youtube: Fans Awakening
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
Thanks, kentona!

Continue talking about pets, everyone.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=kentona
Comma separate iirc

Anhywho I am thinking about The Legend of Youtube: Fans Awakening

It seems to have been renamed to "Remove" or something. The thread has, at least.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
That means Arcade wants to have the thread removed. Even though RMN doesn't do that.

I've seen plenty of threads like those come and go. I'm not sure what prompted me to post in that one in particular.

Also: Drinkable water from human poo.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I like turtles. <3

Anyway I am thinking that I am kind of amazed at the degree of 1:1 analogy between all of the issues brought up in the McBacon Game Jam thread and dating in grade school/group projects in grade school/team sports in gym in grade school/pretty much everything vaguely traumatic about being in middle school/high school. It is kind of hilarious/terrifying. Hilarifying?
unity
You're magical to me.
It's weird because as a kid I was never popular at school or on any sort of team or anything. So, people wanting to team up with me makes me feel like I've died and gone to some sort of GAM MAK heaven ;_;
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
Did I ever mention I like turtles, too?

-------

Max, I understand you, man. The feeling of not being accepted sucks and leaves marks. Still, at some point we need to take a look at the bigger picture and recognize that whatever other children made us go through has no significance because, well, they (and we) were "just" children. It's not like the time in school was unimportant, but you shouldn't allow the more unpleasant experiences like that to still hurt you. The minds that spawned them simply weren't fully developed and capable of real responsibility yet. So nothing you found traumatic about that time has any right to haunt you still, because it was all simply based on nothing.

Sure, that's easy to say and all, but as a human and a person, you are valuable! And there will always be people who accept and appreciate your good sides. Always keep that in mind.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Because we're on the internet, we have no social obligation to lie to others to maintain face. There is no frontstage facade we have to put up, no behavioral adaptations we have to make to seem, "normal" in society, and no fear of immediate consequences if an unspoken social rule is broken, as we can just simply log off and dismiss the situation.

Especially on a site like this that revolves around creativity. Art is an extension of the artist, after all. In a community like RMN, us developers are putting our hearts and souls out there for the public to judge.

That's why any kind of rejection online can get under your skin far faster than anything said to your face. This isn't some persona that's being rejected that you can just dismiss later. This is YOU. People are rejecting YOU.

I think that's why online interactions, good or bad, can and will continue to be much more personal to us instead of, well, personal interactions. Over time, we learned to deal with the personal rejection in various ways. Not so when we're here.

EDIT:

Case and freakin point: I started writing this post about two minutes after I saw Max McGee's post. I finished writing it about thirty minutes ago. I've been on here for a year and I still teeter on whether to make the post or not. Long enough to get ninja'd by at least two others.
I take forever to post too as I always worry how I'll sound. Trying to make good first impressions and all! (and probably failing, haha...)

But anyway, it's sort of humbling to know that some of the older members here are still shy about asking each other to do stuff, or even about simply posting a reply :P

edit: I also have a habit of making slight changes to my posts if I feel something might be misconstrued by somebody, however small that chance is :/ I need to loosen up (and possibly get over myself hahaha)
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
Red_Nova, in all honesty, I don't think what you're saying is entirely true. Even (or, in some cases, especially) on the internet we are also only showing certain parts of ourselves. Proof: Avatars and nicknames, for instance. But even moreso, we can more or less choose when to say something and when not. Online interactions only get as personal as we allow them to become - real life interactions always become personal, simply because you are there.

And if you are "rejected" on the internet, that is not YOU as an entire person being rejected. It's those parts of you being rejected that others have been able to see based on what you decided to show - and as we all know, even that can be faked.

And you know what, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with things being like that (except in situations where someone tries to trick another). We can never show the entire spectrum of our personality the whole time, simply because it's not always appropriate. People often complain about having to "wear masks" and not being themselves, and if it means they have to suppress their personality and pretend to be something they are not, that's certainly a bad thing. But up to a certain degree, it's good that we can switch between different "modes", if you will. It's what makes us capable of social interaction at all.

In short: If I were rejecting Red_Nova (which I'm not, just to be clear!), I wouldn't be able to reject "the person who sits behind the computer and uses the nickname Red_Nova on RMN", because I don't really know that person. I would be rejecting "the image of Red_Nova that I have formed in my head, based on what I've found out about Red_Nova so far".

Edit: By the way, it always takes me an eternity to post anything longer because I usually proofread everything I write at least once.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
I wish I could just set everything that happened in high school aside, but I guess I haven't been away from it long enough to do so. It's really odd. On one hand it's made me desensitized to rejection, so much so that I didn't mind being rejected by the last girl I asked out anymore only after a few days or so, on the other I've become more afraid to be rejected everytime I was rejected. I guess I should just get over that last thing and ask some girl from my University out, since it wouldn't be at all scarring if she said no. Then again, the one time a girl did decide to go out with me, it became an extremely awkward evening sitting through a 1.5 hour movie next to someone whose hand you just tried to grab only to be asked not to. Also, the fact that I'm 5'2" does not work in my favour, but I digress.

I don't think on the internet we are more ourselves than we are in real life, even on a game creation forum like this. I mean, yes, I feel safe to open up on here and am typing stuff right here, right now I wouldn't discuss in public with many people, but like NeverSilent says, we're all aliases and avatars here. One time, in high school, when I asked a girl out and she declined, I could just see the look of guilt that she couldn't feel about me how I felt about her in her eyes. That in turn made me feel really guilty about having put her through that in the first place and made me sick of myself for several weeks. On the internet, I would never be so personally involved with people I have contact with.
unity
You're magical to me.
It's been years, but I still have anxiety dreams about high school and my crazy parents. I don't know if I'll ever stop having them.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I very commonly have dreams where the setting is my high school. No, that's not quite right. It's more like I recognize various individuals in the dream that I went to high school with. Heck, I have dreams where I'm trying to find the girl I had a crush on from back then (actually, further back than that, but, technicalities), only to never find her. Alternatively, I find her right off the bat, but I'm in a circumstance where I can't interact with her for whatever reason, or she's totally disinterested in whatever it is that I'm doing.
You guys worry about taking too long to post? Try writing in a language that is not your own, knowing that for every mistake you fix you'll probably introduce another one; not to mention the ones you didn't even notice to begin with... Sometimes I go over, and over, revising if what I'm typing makes sense, looking up entire phrases on google, or checking the spelling/definition of words on the dictionary -- that I even get page-snipped! And then I'm like "why bother anymore" and go cry myself to sleep. T_T