BETTER BUILDINGS? (RMK3)

Pages: 1
This is a major problem that I've come across when making my games; all of the buildings look crappy and flat. I mean, they honestly look like they're cardboard cutouts.

So, I'm wondering if there are any tips or tricks to making buildings that have more depth to them, within the confines of RMk3's tileset (or, you can recommend a particular custom tileset for me to use). Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
It takes a little while to find your groove, and everyone maps differently, but, you can learn by observing! I wouldn’t be worried, I used to have the exact same trouble when I was new to the program. I had difficulty figuring out what was what. The only way I could learn was by looking at what others had done (there's nothing wrong with it). Welcome to RMN, observe and you'll naturally pick up tips. Practice makes perfect too, you don’t have to jump right into anything; learn what each piece of a chipset does, as everything has it's use.

Kentona
Corfaisus

These two map with the RTP like absolute beasts. I’m pretty sure they aren’t human. Download their games, or look at their screenshots; then apply the same procedure in your own maps.

A good way to start is with the roof. In fact, it’s literally all in the roof! See?

Practice, practice, practice!
Oh, cool! Thanks a bunch, Wing! I'll take a look at them, and hopefully I will get better at making them.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I'm not sure what the heck is going on with the crates on that roof

Here are some buildings from Hero's Realm. The red ones look pretty good, I think. The tan wooden ones are supposed to be just outdoor stalls.
author=LockeZ
I'm not sure what the heck is going on with the crates on that roof

Just ignore them. The crates aren't at all visible in game. If you set the roofs to "above player" in the editor, it allows the player to walk behind houses, and not just around them. Then you use the crates to prevent the player from going where he shouldn't. It's quite a good idea that Corfaisus uses, you can even hide chests and other things behind them! When it comes to mapping, I know my shit.
Here's a few to give you ideas (from my own mapping). The last one is pretty big, though. Personally I make a normal 3x3 house first (roof and walls), then edit the hell out of them.
- Buildings are usually best to do second. (The first is ground tiles.)
- Don't be afraid to try new shapes or styles.
- Don't be afraid to overlap houses if you're creating a busy town or city.
- Remember heights. If you make your roof two tiles tall, keep that in mind when mapping the back of the roof.
- Don't be afraid to edit something as needed (or ask for edits). Just because something doesn't seem to fit doesn't mean it can't be edited to and the RTP is quite easy to mess with.
- Balconies are bitches. Don't bother with them unless you know what you're doing because 9 times out of 10 they look like shit. Just saying.

Liberty and Corfaisus are better than I am. Check them out first.
Ah building woes. Something that I still have problems with to this day too...not that that there's many buildings in mine, but it's still annoying I agree. Those tips do look mighty nice though...might take those into consideration.
rabitZ
amusing tassadar, your taste in companionship grows ever more inexplicable
I like those trees on your second screenshot, Liberty!
Actually, now that I look at that, is there a nice and good way to do overpasses and such like that? I'm assuming the way Little Wing Guy did it there is the easiest way to do so but I've been wanting to do something like that for a dungeon for a while now...
Thanks for the help guys; but I tried setting the roofs to the upper layer, but they don't allow the first layer (where the roof tiles are located).
Pages: 1