[RM2K3] DEALING WITH LAG

Pages: 1
This is the second time I've come across this problem, and I'm looking for a good way to deal with it.

There's a specific moment in my game that lags. The problem is, it doesn't lag for me, but it lags for some people. The lag doesn't seem to be related to computer performance (my computer is not that great, and lag happens on better computers). I have a few ideas on how to fix the lag, but it's hard for me to test them because... well, I get no lag at all.

Is there a way to... like... make my computer lag?
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
Start up Photoshop.

In all seriousness try runnning a bunch of high CPU usage programs at the same time. You can check how much they use in the Task Manager under processes.

Photoshop is particularly high, but games and the like can also chew up your CPU.

Have less constantly moving things. Like don't have the character / events / NPCs walk in place. That's a big one. You can have them walk, but not walk in place. Like the old Dragon Quest characters always walked in place.
What's walk in place?

Yeah, I think that may be causing the lag. I have tons of moving events.

But that's the problem, I can delete some of them, but I wouldn't know how many would be enough, because I can't test lag.
Like a step in place animation. I've learned that a long time ago don't have everyone moving at once. You can have them step when they move... but not step when they don't move.

You don't have to delete them, just don't make them stop.

edit >> how large are your maps?
When you set an event's animation type to Continuous. It does cause lag.
^^^ that. I didn't know what it was called in RPG2K3
Well, I have a lot of moving events, but they are non-continuous.
My game lags when going into battles. Well, correction, it sort of does. Sometimes it can be up to a minute before you enter a battle screen, other times, a few seconds. And it can even be the SAME battle. So its very inconsistent and no idea what causes it.
Well normally it can cause lag with engines that uses in a only event many conditional branches and variables without use "waiting times", but well if I don't see the game I can't help you very much.
I got a VirtualBox with a copy of Windows 7 on it. With VirtualBox you can set all kinds of hardware restrictions like available memory, CPU #, and execution time % of each CPU. When I need to test how something performs I adjust those settings accordingly and let it run on the VM and see what happens.
uh

are you using any parallel processes or loops that may be running amok

i looked around rmn and i cant find the original article, but i will post links to some rm2k3 good coding practices articles if you are unaware of the impact of certain code on performance

like one tip is to call all the common events you want running all the time (IE, ones you would normally all run separately as parallel processes) in one master parallel process CE. this should decrease processing overhead
dragonheartman
Developer, Starless Umbra / Heroes of Umbra
The biggest causes of lag in my experience with 2k3 have been:

-show picture command
-moving/manipulating large pictures
-having lots of events on your maps!

Use wait 0.0s at least (or more if you don't need immediate updates) and only show pictures when needed.
Forcing Lag:
You could manually remove one stick of ram from your computer.
Run multiple video windows.
Put a dvd on in the background and run Fraps at the same time.
Video capture the game while playing it.

Dealing with Lag
If your maps are larger than a single 20x15 view, you could use a parallel that only triggers on player movement to turn off any events that would be off screen.
Using pictures tends to lag more than just about anything else, and having a good graphics card isn't always the answer.

My point and click game (using Powermode and 2k3) became unplayable in parts after I upgraded video cards. My old card handled 320x240 great, but the newer one didn't have that low of a gear. It was weird that I could fire up Pcsx2 (the emulator, whatever the initials are) and run games I couldn't get better than single digit frame rates out of before, but my low res R2k3 games ran like molasses in winter, uphill.
Pages: 1