HOW BIG IS TOO BIG?

Pages: first 12 next last
So I'm making this game, and I think it's going to have a fairly large file size because I am a picture-holic when it comes to RM. Everytime I dab my fingers into this program, I find myself pushing it as far as "I" can take it. The last time I did something like this, I was told it was "too much"... now I look around and what was once "too much" seems to be the norm.

Round three... and here I am again at the same crossroads. I'm running an I-7 processor, and SOMETIMES it has a hiccup for like a split-second.

Here's the question that begs to be answered... at what point do you say "Meh, no RM game is worth that much bandwidth" and so you don't end up downloading it?
If a game looks interesting to me, then I will download it. I don't download many games, but when one catches my eye I'm not worried about how big the file is.
author=Neverm0re
If a game looks interesting to me, then I will download it. I don't download many games, but when one catches my eye I'm not worried about how big the file is.
Same, but there are people who aren't able to download 500 mb in 10 minutes. There the people that will be missing out on your game, unless it's really good.
But if it won't hurt your concept, download something like http://free-mp3-wma-converter.en.softonic.com/ and keep your MB as low as possible.
It seems more likely that you're doing something inefficiently rather than too big if you're experiencing process hiccups.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
If it hurts, it's too big.

Generally, the more original art, spriting, and music goes into a game, the bigger your game gets to be. That is, people will disregard your filesize if it's due to your own effort.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Your processor has nothing to do with downloading the game, you realize, right? It only affects playing the game.

A low-end laptop processor from 2002 can run any rpg maker game with no problem whatsoever, unless the scripting in it is straight up busted, so I doubt playing the game is what you're talking about.

Regarding file size, 100 MB is actually pretty small for an indie game, so I wouldn't worry too much. Internet speed has improved a lot since RM2K3 came out. Dialup internet doesn't even exist any more. Time Warner Cable for example offers 10 Mbps internet packages as their cheapest deal - which means 75 MB per minute download if you believe their fucking lies and also you're the only person downloading from RMN at the time. I'd guess realistically you'd get probably a tenth of that most of the time, which means a 1GB game would take two hours to download, which sounds pretty accurate.

Keep in mind, your upload speed is about one fourth your download speed, sometimes less, so don't fret if the game takes three hours to upload. That's normal.

As a guy who remembers when it took an hour to download an mp3 I really do not give a flying shit if your game takes two hours to download, unless the game is less than two hours long, in which case I will be disappointed. Teenagers are more likely to become impatient if the game takes more than half an hour to download - but they're more likely to have a faster internet connection, so it evens out to an extent.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I "don't" think you are "using" quote marks "correctly"
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
I don't think he gets that it's "just the tip" in quotes.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
author=Instinct
Here's the question that begs to be answered... at what point do you say "Meh, no RM game is worth that much bandwidth" and so you don't end up downloading it?

If you can't fit it on a 3TB hard drive, it's too large.

Seriously though, it's the 21st century: File size is mostly irrelevant.

author=LockeZ
A low-end laptop processor from 2002 can run any rpg maker game with no problem whatsoever, unless the scripting in it is straight up busted, so I doubt playing the game is what you're talking about.

That circa-2002 CPU will have a fun time playing a vanilla RMXP/VX/VXA project. I guarantee it. ( ̄▽ ̄)ノ
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
author=KingArthur
author=LockeZ

That circa-2002 CPU will have a fun time playing a vanilla RMXP/VX/VXA project. I guarantee it. ( ̄▽ ̄)ノ

^This. It would be pretty horrible.
...Personally, unless it's a complete game or something that is quality, I wouldn't download anything over 200MBs. Not for an RM game. And really, you don't have an excuse for something that size for a demo. Cut out the excess and compress the sounds a bit and it should fit under that amount.
It's a waste of my precious computer space and even if I had Terrabytes worth of space I still wouldn't care. You have to remember that there are people out there who are working with limited download amounts. Hell, I know some people who can only download 10GB worth of stuff a month, so unless your game is ultra special, they won't even look at it. Yes, it sucks that their internet is that bad, but that's the way it is.
That said, if you show good quality and cut out anything that isn't necessary there shouldn't be an issue with people wanting to download. But if your 30 minute demo is over 200MBs... there's something seriously wrong.
Just out of curiosity, how big is your game right now?
author=Instinct
Thanks for the "tips" guys:)

Er, I dunno how it anywhere else, but where I'm from, putting one word in quotes is sarcastically saying that it's not that. In this case, I would read it like you think those tips sucked.

Now, I realize that's not that case, and I think that LockeZ noticed that too, which prompted him to say you're using quotes wrong.

As for download size, I don't much care, but there's certainly people who will care about the size if they're not getting a whole lot out of the game.

I certainly would not recommend reducing your file size at the expense of its quality.
@CommieDog: Right now it's about 120MB+ without RTP. The reason for the large file size is due to the fact that I am using all 3D rendering, 3D animations (no not movies, actual picture commands utilizing a multitude of single 3D rendered image sequences). See example below. That is not a battle animation. They are a series of pictures. I chose to go this route because trying to shrink a 3D sequence into 192x192 tiles (as required by RMVXAce) reduces its quality greatly and defeats the purpose of going 3D. So... that's why:) The intro by itself is about 25MB.
I see. I'm gonna enjoy those animations, but that could be a bit of a problem if the game is fairly huge.

Right now I feel as though I'm having a similar problem

That's just the overlay file- for 17 maps in one short demo.
Still doesn't beat out how large mine is~

But yeah, it really shouldn't matter THAT much with how sizes are nowadays. Of course, doesn't mean you should just throw in everything and anything into the game and make it super duper large...

Does suck for those with limited bandwidth and whatnot though...
Since Rogers has placed a cap on internet usage per month (I have the largest amounted package and still my family manages to go over our limit most months), I've had to be careful with how much I download per day.

That said, RM games rarely scare me off with file size. If the game is 400mb plus, I might wait til there's a day when I haven't downloaded anything, but I haven't really seen many of those.

Also, fuck you Rogers.
dragonheartman
Developer, Starless Umbra / Heroes of Umbra
Filesize is mostly irrelevant, but I would suggest you do your part and not be wasteful. If you can compress any images/audio without a noticeable lack in quality (or a lack in quality you are comfortable with) I say go for it.
Pages: first 12 next last