PEOPLE ON SEEM TO NOT BE ABLE TO HANDLE CRITIQUE

Pages: first 12 next last
It really irks me when I see people commenting on someones game imagies, and the creator will gladly reply to the nice comments. Though, as soon as they get a comment about critique, the creator says nothing, when you can tell by there post history that they are clearly still around. It's like really, can't handle some suggestions. I can understand that a creator would miss a few comments that's fine, but when a game has like 15 plus pictures and ALL of them (if not most) contain the same problem this post was about, I think my point is clear.

For me, as weird as it sounds. Sometimes I prefer the critique more then the good comments. How else am I going to know what needs fixed.

Oh and also, I didn't want to name any specific games. Even though I think some people can be childish, I don't want to throw anyone under the bus for lack of better terms.
Maybe the problem is something that the person considers insignificant and not worth changing to appeal to RMN? If the problem is strictly related to taste rather than bad design, I see no problem.

Also there's no obligation to reply to every comment on your images. I hardly respond to anything people say on my images, but I reply frequently on game pages. Know what makes me hit the reply button for images? Question marks. Images are just for showing off what the game looks like, and it can be frustrating when people pick them apart. If people played the games without seeing screenshots, nine times out of ten they wouldn't even mention whatever they brought up about a screenshot. It's just because we base our opinions of the games on what we see on the screenshots we're looking at, so we nitpick. It can be annoying to the creators and make commentors look like douches. Final Fantasy Essence's crystal screenshot was proof of that. None of us would have whined about it AT ALL had we just played the game instead.

I've had a few things brought up in my Blackmoon Prophecy screenshots before but, you know what? Nobody ever mentions these things when they actually play because they're so miniscule, and creators usually roll their eyes when people pick on miniscule parts of a game that don't need to be changed for any reason other than to fit the aesthetic desires of the people doing the commenting. We don't have an obligation to do that because, first and foremost, we're making these games for ourselves. We need to please ourselves before anyone else.

So yeah, critiques on RMN can often come across as needless "do what I am suggesting because I like it more than what you're doing" posts to some creators.

However... if someone is posting several screenshots where they are using roof tiles for floors or vice versa, or they have rooms that are ten times larger than they should be and are completely barren, then yes, those people should be taken aside and asked why they're not listening to the advice of posters and trying to improve their mapping abilities and such.
Huhh, haven't seen a thread about this in a while. SURPRISING.

This conversation has popped up a million times on here; so premptive tl;dr of the thread: some people really suck at critique. Some people suck at giving critque. Some people act like buttfaces when picking apart stuff, but y'all should suck it up and take what feedback you can from the buttface comments instead of getting pissy with them. Not everyone is going to like your stuff. Fuck da haters. Blah blah blah the end
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
I think UPRC said it best, and emmych finished it.

EDIT: Not to mention it's easier to reply to "hey cool game" over someone who is picking apart a screenshot because it looks weird to them.

Over the years, every criticism I have received about my game Infection has had great effect on me and how the development of the game has progressed.
Even if in the beginning I might have thought it was rude or uncalled for, it stuck anyways. (I might not have always responded while I did pick out what was helpful and what was just plain hateful)

And really, sometimes it's better if the response is just left unsaid.
NOACCEPTANCE772
And the ability to summon the "Office Whores" to deal damage to the enemies.
author=UPRC
Maybe the problem is something that the person considers insignificant and not worth changing to appeal to RMN? If the problem is strictly related to taste rather than bad design, I see no problem.

Also there's no obligation to reply to every comment on your images. I hardly respond to anything people say on my images, but I reply frequently on game pages. Know what makes me hit the reply button for images? Question marks. Images are just for showing off what the game looks like, and it can be frustrating when people pick them apart. If people played the games without seeing screenshots, nine times out of ten they wouldn't even mention whatever they brought up about a screenshot. It's just because we base our opinions of the games on what we see on the screenshots we're looking at, so we nitpick. It can be annoying to the creators and make commentors look like douches. Final Fantasy Essence's crystal screenshot was proof of that. None of us would have whined about it AT ALL had we just played the game instead.

I've had a few things brought up in my Blackmoon Prophecy screenshots before but, you know what? Nobody ever mentions these things when they actually play because they're so miniscule, and creators usually roll their eyes when people pick on miniscule parts of a game that don't need to be changed for any reason other than to fit the aesthetic desires of the people doing the commenting. We don't have an obligation to do that because, first and foremost, we're making these games for ourselves. We need to please ourselves before anyone else.

So yeah, critiques on RMN can often come across as needless "do what I am suggesting because I like it more than what you're doing" posts to some creators.

EXACTLY MY CASE!!!!!!!
When ever I post screen shots, people keep telling me to change my style to Chrono trigger or what not!When I tell them this that you just told us, I receive a warning for flaming other users!
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
This topic sucks
Kinda reminds me of the last review I had (not on here, but another site) where the person was nitpicking about the graphics in-battle and most of what I gathered from his criticism was "move from 2k3 to XP/VX/VX Ace". I'm all up for criticism and whatnot, that's fine. It's part of a growing and learning experience. But I'd much rather it be on something more important per say like the actual gameplay, balancing things, and possibly mapping, rather than the graphics that I myself can't do that much about. Part of the reason why I stopped posting screenshots of my game (most of them were just in-battle images just to show off new attack animations and whatnot), since people were basing the whole game on IN-BATTLE STILL screenshots...

Some take it better than others, that's all there is to it really~ This is just my two cents about it in a nutshell.
Oh my fucking funny goat, EXACTLY. God, I was thinking the same thing... seriously.

I think it partly has to do w/ how you word it-- you're supposed to give critique in first person using "I" as the main subject, use mostly questions, avoid using "you", etc.
But it definitely also depends on how it's taken in. Perhaps they had negative experiences w/ critisism when they were young. Perhaps they were taught that critisism is solely for if you did something wrong, instead of for improving. Perhaps their prefrontal cortex hasn't fully developped yet; the part of the brain that controls emotions, behaviour, and impulses-- it does not mature until after adolescence.

For example, curiously enough, all the workers at my job that had been bullied seem to have a sort of 'clinging problem' w/ people who are nice to them.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I've noticed a tendency to handle LP/LT critique rather poorly. I always envision the video will show something worse than the worst possible scenario before I even hit the "play" button. That's not the correct mind-set to have!
author=Marrend
I've noticed a tendency to handle LP/LT critique rather poorly. I always envision the video will show something worse than the worst possible scenario before I even hit the "play" button. That's not the correct mind-set to have!
One tip I always thought was great for LTers was "tell the player everything you're thinking about."
I never really thought to censor myself, because I felt as though that would diminish my feedback.

As another slightly off-topic note,
I feel as though complements w/ critique is always better than flat critique. I try to do this when commenting on things.
Complementing something, but ignoring another thing is not productive and slightly miss leading. I might be wrong.
thumbs up if u checkered thee post date jst to maek suer ther wasent a necro post.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
author=Darken
thumbs up if u checkered thee post date jst to maek suer ther wasent a necro post.

in b4 lock!!! lol
Sorry so late reply, perhaps I should have been more specific. I was more talking about when it's actually constructive critique, stuff that WOULD actually help the creators game. Not so much on this forum, but I've seen people really freak out about constructive critique on other forums *COUGH*gamin.....*COUGH*. Though I suppose, saying nothing at all to constructive critique is better then over reacting about it.

Also, sorry. I was un aware this has been talked about b4.
author=Jparker1984

well there was this one
and also this one
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
Reminds me of one autistic furry at deviantart who went apeshit every time she received constructive critique.

I can handle critique, but like NOACCEPTANCE772, I don't want to change my game's graphics' style to something else like Mac & Blue/Refmap just because a weeaboo wants so.

(But if my graphics look really bad that they make even my eyes bleed, I'll change them)
However, I don't mind comments where someone points out that "hey this tileset doesn't match with the other graphics" or something like that.
author=emmych
author=Jparker1984
well there was this one
and also this one

lol

Anyway, you're certainly not obligated to respond to every remark.

author=UPRC

Yeah, this.

And it's not childish to ignore. It's childish to blow up and quit your project and throw away years worth of work, because a few knuckleheads online that you'll never meet ran their mouths.
author=Clareain_Christopher
author=Marrend
One tip I always thought was great for LTers was "tell the player everything you're thinking about."
I never really thought to censor myself, because I felt as though that would diminish my feedback.

Which is why I think you are one of the better LPers here (along with NicoB). Some people just fire up Fraps and play the game, making weird little off topic comments and such or purposely engaging in weird activities when they play that wastes time... then there are others who, hell, don't even give them a microphone because they think that doing an LP turns them into a celebrity who shits rainbows and can run their mouths without looking like asshats (YDS was the biggest culprit of this). They forget that RMN's LPers should lean more towards being informative educators rather than character entertainers.

There's been several instances during your Blackmoon Prophecy playthrough where you've pointed out something you had an issue with and I nodded and said to myself, "He has a good point there."

LP videos = best way for critiques. It feels more personal than screenshot comments, and it's easier to understand what the person is saying about your game because HEARING the tone of their voice and how they're expressing themselves helps immensely. A screenshot comment can be taken several ways. One comment may seem fine to one person while, to another person, it may seem rude or snide. This does not happen when you can hear the person's voice, unless you're just flat out awful at interpreting human emotion.
author=Sauce
And it's not childish to ignore. It's childish to blow up and quit your project and throw away years worth of work, because a few knuckleheads online that you'll never meet ran their mouths.

Percislly, perhaps I just suck at explaning things (ideas always sound better in my head.) My friend for example, he makes game as well (not online.) I was playing his game and I made some constructive critique to him (his character graphics didn't match the chipsets.) He got all mad and stopped working on it for almost a month. Those are the kind of people I meant.

A random example. I would never change the color of my system graphic to green just because someone said they don't like blue. That would be dumb.

A more specific example. In my game I have something called a star point menu (you buy status raising items.) Someone told me I need to change up the colors of my stars cause they think the current ones are ugly (I didn't change them, nor did I reply.) Though, when I get replies on how to make maps better by adding more things and moving stuff around, that's a different story. I will always reply to stuff like that.
This is to be expected, since a large group of people here are new to game making (larger than the experienced indie game makers). And most of them are young kids. so of course they accept only nice comments. This group of people are the inexperienced. The inexperienced will have ego in them.
Pages: first 12 next last