BEAUTIFUL THINGS

Pages: first 12 next last
Oblic
Once a member of RMN, always a member of RMN!
I know that everything I have posted on the forums so far has been controversial, but I'd like to get away from that.

I have thinking a lot lately about some philosophical stuff and have been examining things in my life very closely, trying to understand how I got to where I am. One of the basic things I realized was simply that we get to where we are through experiences (obvious, right?). Yet, for the most part, the little things don't cause great change or alter the course too greatly. So then I started looking more closely at the bigger experiences, the ones that DO alter the "course" or "path" we were on before we had that experience. I narrowed it down to two categories: terrible things and beautiful things.

Being a pessimist, I looked at the terrible things first, trying to figure out how these things affect us, and more specifically myself. I came to the conclusion that, for the most part, terrible things don't really change the course so much as they make us avoidant of certain situations. Yes, they can make you do something you normally wouldn't otherwise, but I am more interested in actual decision making to DO something.

I then realized that the good or beautiful things are really what change us and open doors to new things. Seeing the sunrise, a rainbow, or a butterfly; holding a newborn; something along those lines. I think these are truly the things that make us into who we are.

TLDR

What is the most beautiful thing that you experienced that truly changed who you are or how your life has turned out, and how/why did it change you?
I am more of a pessimist, I will think if something like that has really happened to me but now I don't remember anything beautifull that truly changed who am I.
Damn, it's hard to think of any beautiful things...
When I woke up to the sunrise in my lover's arms? That was pretty beautiful.
I see beautiful things everywhere. Though I don't know if they're exactly life changing. Though in the moment when beauty really hits you there's a sense of clarity for a little while until the mundane takes over again. (usually the mundane for me is putting the earphones back over my ears to continue listening to a podcast)

It's the same clarity you sometimes get at movies when they end and it's all dark for a split second until the first credits come up.

However I often find the beautiful things are around in nature (or human-made structures) and even though it might not change who I am the constant bombardment of these things has possibly made me a bit more optimistic. Or a bit more "Damn this world is awesome!"

You know, like how Symphony of Science makes me appreciate life, the universe and everything (42).

For example. I read a book by Stephen Baxter and Arthur C. Clarke about how humanity tried to protect itself against a giant solar flare. And it was all this optimistic stuff about humanity coming together to "fight" nature (or in this case aliens tampering with nature but nature nonetheless). And in a way it was just the thing about how insignificant we are in comparison to something like the sun but in the same way about the beauty of the universe and whatnot.

And then the next day I walked to work and the sun shone above me. It was slightly obscured by a light cloud making it so that you can almost stare at the sun and then (as the morning progressed) this cloud slowly dispersed and the warm morning spring sun shone through and I thought about that sun-shield they had made in the book and I was just in awe at the "awesome machinery of nature".

Of course it's not just the large thing I tend fo be fascinated by fairly ugly things too. Like 50s-80s concrete block architecture, these houses that already are molding apart because concrete is not as awesome as it maybe was. I went to St Petersburg and those buildings were pretty gigantic compared to the small neighbourhood I lived in as a kid but there was the same feeling. And again when playing (video games yay) STALKER and I finally got to Pripyat and those memories returned. Concrete blocks looming over a cloudy autumn day. Beautiful stuff.

Of course again. None of this has changed my path in life. Not really. Except maybe philosophically. It might be an extension of my belief that there's no proper good or bad. There's no proper beauty and ugliness. It's all pretty awesome in the end.

Damn I'm positive. I even like new video games.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
My newest avatar is a beautiful thing. Thumbs Up if you like!
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
I think a bottle of Dr Pepper is beautiful.
So far, the best feeling I have had is realizing that my life, (at least at that moment), has a purpose, and has direction.

Nothing makes me feel more beautiful than that.
I really start thinking of Nightowl as real life Okabe
Nightowl
author=MrChearlie
I really start thinking of Nightowl as real life Okabe
I'M FEELING PRETTY MATRIMONIAL ALL OF SUDDEN.
I bought new shampoo the other day. It came in a hot pink bottle with a gold cap.

It was an incredibly life-altering experience.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I think game design is really beautiful.

No, shut up! I'm serious! To me it's no different from painting, but instead of an image you're painting an experience. I do think video games are art.

Unrelatedly, I also think NEKKID WOMENZ are a thing of beauty, they are a thing I truly derive pleasure from looking at
My face when I look in the mirror and preen. LOL JK
lol jk about the lol jk

...but no actually jk I'm not really that vain OTL
I'M ONLY A LITTLE VAIN >__>;;

But uhhhh okay I guessss... my partner whenever I make her feel good in some way? SHE'S REALLY BEAUTIFUL AND WATCHING HER FEEL GOOD IS THE BEST THING EVER OKAY ;___;

author=LockeZ
Unrelatedly, I also think NEKKID WOMENZ are a thing of beauty beautiful,; they are a thing I truly derive pleasure from looking at them
Fixed, because women are not "things", bro. B(
(also that shouldn't have been a comma and it was bugging me so I fixed that too OTL)
author=LockeZ
I think game design is really beautiful.
Unrelatedly, I also think NEKKID WOMENZ are a thing of beauty, they are a thing I truly derive pleasure from looking at

^^^
author=LockeZ
Unrelatedly, I also think NEKKID MENZ are a thing of beauty, they are a thing I truly derive pleasure from looking at

Fix'd so that I can agree. :3
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
This topic is now about boobs.
Nightowl
author=KingArthur

No, cake mix.
Nightowl
author=KingArthur

No, cake mix.
When I see outside the window, It's beautiful.
Trees waving side to side, birds and butterflies flying around aimlessly, The scent of flowers coming inside the windows, blazing sunlight towards the rivers and plains,
Foggy mountaintops, people living in harmony, Rainbows through the mountains. Ahh..., It's a sight to see.

For videogames, The only thing beautiful is SaGa Frontier 2 Watercolor background arts.
author=KingArthur

before I even read the topic I was like "gonna post about tits"

slow on the trigger hand
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
author=emmych
Fixed, because women are not "things", bro. B(

You just called your own partner a "thing".

author=Natook
slow on the trigger hand

THATSWHATSHESAID guFFAW

Tempted to flood this topic with pictures of Hayley Williams. Those are beautiful things...
Pages: first 12 next last