HOW TO MAKE A FOOD/WATER SYSTEM

Pages: 1
I saw someone wanted to make a food and water system, and that's when I thought, "Hey, I'm making a horror game! Wouldn't it make sense to do this?"
You see, I'm wanting to make the game based off if you survive or not, and how the character reacts to the monster, like a normal game. So while I think of a monster to be attacked by, I'm thinking of also adding a mental fear to the player. Such as, if they got to a point wear they find poison water, they aren't going to care if they're water level is low! They will panic, try drinking the water, and be all,"FAIL", when they found out they died. I also felt like making a time system for when in the caves, if someone thinks of coming inside, so you never know what will happen. The endings could come random based off of random events that happen for all I know. All I know, is I want it to end based off if the character dies or not. So starving or getting too thirsty should be part of this. And I thought about it. And well, I can't think of a way to make this work without a player ragequitting, or just failing. And even in my example, they would ragequit. Plus I really don't understand how I would do this.
So, if I can find someone who could help me make a food/water system, I'd be very greatful!
Your food/water system would require at it's very base, some form of time system, either within the food water system or through an overall day night system.

Eg/ Parallel process common event named 'Thirst'. Wait 10 seconds, thirst - 1

You could set the scale to be whatever eg 30 seconds with your own max or min for thirst.

What happens at each interval would be up to you. It could be expanded by making certain actions such as running or fighting make these meters go down even quicker.

Hope this helps a little.
author=TheGowans
Your food/water system would require at it's very base, some form of time system, either within the food water system or through an overall day night system.

Eg/ Parallel process common event named 'Thirst'. Wait 10 seconds, thirst - 1

You could set the scale to be whatever eg 30 seconds with your own max or min for thirst.

What happens at each interval would be up to you. It could be expanded by making certain actions such as running or fighting make these meters go down even quicker.

Hope this helps a little.

It does somewhat, could you show me a picture to see if I can understand a little better? There is no fighting in my game, BTW. Normally RPG maker Horror games don't include battles. Very few ones I know, do that. Maybe the running system would be a good idea, to connect with water in that certain way. But, I have to make it directly a hunger/thirst system, because day and night don't work too well in caves.
I'm on my mac at the moment but you could do it something like this:

1. Make a parallel process common event 'FoodWater Timer' or something like that

wait: 60 seconds

food - 1
water - 1
call event: common- 'FoodWater Conditions'

So running constantly, you have your food and water meters going down once every minute. Now You need to decide what to do with them.

2. Make a call common event 'FoodWater Conditions'

call event: common- 'FoodWater Display'
if food <= 0
{
game over
}
if water <= 0
{
game over
}
//other conditions for other levels

This makes you die if you get to hungry or thirsty, simple, you can add other conditions in there if you want

3. Make a common event call 'FoodWater Display'

if food = 10

{
show picture 'food meter 10'
}
//and on until 0
if water = 10
{
show picture 'water meter 10'
}
//and on until 0

This bit is purely for looks so the player can tell how hungry or thirsty they are.

As for other conditions that lower these, every time you want to decrease it, call the 'FoodWater Conditions' event.

Hope this helps
Pages: 1