WHAT DOES IT TAKE FOR A GAME TO BE FEATURED ?

Pages: 1
So what does it take for a game to be recognized ? I meant recognized as a good game, not because it is crap. At first, I thought only games with good reviews and high ratings can be featured. But after I took a look at all the featured games, I found out that it isn't the case.

Some games only received 3 or 3.5 stars are also featured. I even see a few with 2 stars or no ratings at all in the list. Then, what are the exact requirements for a game to make the cut ? Awesome storyline ? Perfect English ? Unique gameplay ? Custom graphics ?
I've been wondering that myself actually. I'd imagine it is a staffing decision. The staff looks at the collection of games uploaded and makes a decision to feature one, regardless of rank, ratings, or progress on it. Who knows? I really have no idea, I'm just grasping at straws here.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
There is a thread where you can suggest games (but not your own games) to be featured. Usually how it works is several people suggest a game, and if the staff agrees then they feature it.

And that's really all there is to it.
Ocean
Resident foodmonster
It goes by recommendation really.
http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/8799/
That's the topic. The staff ultimately picks something they feel is good and that is subjective, but the users can recommend something too. It has to have something special/interesting about it for people outside of the community to look at and be curious about it.

Requirements should be for it to be a good game, ideally. Some may slip through as it tends to happen. This is why I'm not in charge of featured game, I think there'd be only 2 featured games a year if it were my choosing.
The only actual requirement is that it's complete (this is a worthy achievement in itself a lot of the time).

Other than that, trends I see are game of high quality (or at least have a consistent level of quality throughout execution), game that have a lot of hype up to their completion, games that are a good example of what can be done with RM, games that are in some way unique, interesting or different from the standard fare, large projects that finally reach completion and of course games whose completion roughly coincides with the need for a featured game that month.

On the whole it comes down to user suggestions, community anticipation/fanbase and popular opinion.
author=NewBlack
The only actual requirement is that it's complete (this is a worthy achievement in itself a lot of the time).

Other than that, trends I see are game of high quality (or at least have a consistent level of quality throughout execution), game that have a lot of hype up to their completion, games that are a good example of what can be done with RM, games that are in some way unique, interesting or different from the standard fare, large projects that finally reach completion and of course games whose completion roughly coincides with the need for a featured game that month.

On the whole it comes down to user suggestions, community anticipation/fanbase and popular opinion.

This list plus bigger competition winners, if they've yet to be added and are complete. We do have a small backlog of games in case nothing interesting, or decent comes out, and we add to that each month, but mostly we choose from what is recommended. ^.^
Mr_Detective, I should also point out that some games are featured when they have a high star rating, then get lower ratings after being featured (or in some cases, as a result of the feature, because people can be whiny jackasses). Luckily though, a vast majority of the features are well received all around these days and there haven't been any problems or complaints (that I've noticed).
It needs to catch my fancy.

The easiest way to do that is to suggest it in that topic, since I don't play games.
So it has to be 100% completed ?

author=mafia green guy
It needs to catch my fancy.

What if other people like it and you don't ? :P
Then that's a difference in opinion. It'd be the same if you liked a game and put it forward, but no-one else liked it. People like different games to each other, but thankfully they can see the merit in a game that someone else has put forward. It's not a universal popularity contest, but putting a game out there and saying 'Yo, peeps, this is pretty cool'. If you're lucky and it's good enough, it will get the feature. If not, maybe another time.

Also, yes, it needs to be completed.
Interesting, I probably don't expect to see anything of mine featured though. I get this gut feeling nobody would suggest them. But its good to know the logic behind the madness of featured stuff.
Pages: 1