WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT GAMES/COMMUNITIES FROM OTHER LANGUAGES?

Pages: first 12 next last
Well hello there.

I would like to know what you think about games or communities from other countries and different languages. How do you see them? I don't know if you have ever talked about this topic. I myself am from Germany, we had this topic several times (even if the last time would have been a few years ago).

The only thing I know about our german community is that it seems we create much more horror games then others communities. Most of the (big) french games look extremely awesome, gameplay however is a whole different story (best example is probably Final Fantasy 0).

But how do you see this? How do you see your community compared to others? What is special about the community in a specific language, what is special about the english community? Is there even something you could consider special? I would like to hear some thoughts about this. =O
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Uh I'm pretty positive the only difference is that it's in a different language. Nothing is special about it, it just requires Google Translate to understand. What a weird topic.
Biggest similarity shared by German and English-speaking communities:
Huge fights between people preferring "old" and "new" makers

Biggest difference between German and English-speaking communities:
Germans (overall) tend to prefer old makers while english-speaking makers do it vice versa.
author=LockeZ
Uh I'm pretty positive the only difference is that it's in a different language. Nothing is special about it, it just requires Google Translate to understand. What a weird topic.

You apparently don't understand what he means.

You do know that different language RPG Maker communities have different cultures, right? Like as Marston said, the German community loves making horror games, as evident in Schuld and Desert Nightmare.

I also know roughly that in the Japanese RPG Maker community, more people prefer RPG Maker 2k VALUE to RPG Maker 2k3, unlike the English RPG Maker community here. I suppose it's because of lack of publicity in regards to VALUE. This was all before RPG Maker VX and RPG Maker VX Ace came into existence.
author=eplipswich
author=LockeZ
You apparently don't understand what he means.

You do know that different language RPG Maker communities have different cultures, right? Like as Marston said, the German community loves making horror games, as evident in Schuld and Desert Nightmare.

I also know roughly that in the Japanese RPG Maker community, more people prefer RPG Maker 2k VALUE to RPG Maker 2k3, unlike the English RPG Maker community here.

Yes, thats more like it. I opened the same thread in one of our german communities, one of the first responses was "The german community didn't evolve as much as the english one did. We still prefer the old versions (2k/3) over the newer ones (XP/VX/Ace)", basically the same thing Itaju said.

Of course the main difference is the language, but don't you think there are differences in gamedesign? Why are there so many Horror games in the german community? Are the german simply better at creating them or is there a higher demand? Why aren't there many in the english community?

That's more like what I meant.
I've dabbled a bit in the french RPG maker community (Onomacoroeirieie or something)(because I can sort of speak french) and yes, they have a greater focus on aesthetics compared to the english communities. That's the other thing - the english "community" is pretty fractured - there are a lot of english communities.. I honestly have no idea if there is 1 German/French/Italian/Japanese etc.. community, or if there are several separate communities.
I am actually really curious to see what games did the Japanese community make. I 've been trying to look for a Japanese RPG Maker game, but the only one I found was Shrink High. :P
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Well, of course different websites attract different cultures and focus on different things. I don't think the language has much if anything to do with that, though. There are dozens of websites for every language and I'm sure they're all different from each-other.
Every time we see previews from a game from a foreign language community, it looks magnificent.
I'm curious if these other communities get the same vibe from what we make. Are we showing each other only the creams of the crop, or are we English-speakers just not that impressive?
Very interesting. I would definitely love to get my hands on a game by developers of a different country. Honestly, the only thing that keeps me from playing those games is the language barrier.

If I base my knowledge off of what I have seen, a lot of English creators (or at least up and coming rpg maker developers) tend to create fantasy/medieval rpgs. Very similar to the early FF games. I mean, a dream of mine is to create a rpg set in a fantasy (well, more so medieval) era, simply because I love the culture of that time.

author=Dyhalto
Every time we see previews from a game from a foreign language community, it looks magnificent.
I'm curious if these other communities get the same vibe from what we make. Are we showing each other only the creams of the crop, or are we English-speakers just not that impressive?

I remember a game in particular that was uploaded to another rpg maker site. The developer was Indian, and the game looked absolutely fantastic. He even went as far to say that it was his first! It makes me wonder if us North Americas are just impatient.
author=Dyhalto

I would think so. We have just as much crappy games as most other communities, I guess. But those stay in the forums or simply don't get that much attention as the big ones.
One huge thing is that the English communities prefer their own individual styles for their resources while Japanese communities prefer the swarm style (basically a unified style that everyone can contribute to and make more resources with).

I notice the English community is slowly phasing to that though.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
I have ran across some really great looking German but also Italian rpgs, it's too bad the language barrier really makes them unplayable. Overall, I've been very impressed by German rpgs, but, as you say, maybe they were only the best amongst them.
author=Marston
I would like to know what you think about games or communities from other countries and different languages. How do you see them? . . .

What is special about the english community? Is there even something you could consider special? I would like to hear some thoughts about this. =O

Hmm, well im Asian, and i have to say i agree about ur comments regarding Germans and horror. i notice that too. : ) i notice a lot of English communities liking medieval-fantasy as well.

For Asians... i've never been on an Asian game community! i didnt even know they existed.
But from my experience, and from myself, i notice they tend to like brighter colours, more anime-styled art, the sense of humour is different, and i'd say they like thinking/ exploring a little outside the box. They also care quite a lot about graphics; XDD i think it must be from the "saving face" thing.
My mother is like this too though. And so is my friend who is part Japanese, as well as this acquaintance i regularly talked to who was Japanese. If u look at games like Ragnarok Online even, or Maplestory, they seem to be very popular with Asians/ people who lived around Asians a lot.

I can't speak for them all, but the Asians i know do prefer games that are more cute or pretty, with colourful or "friendly"-looking art/ graphics. My mom also told me that Asians prefer humour that doesn't involve hurting others, and they like unique/ different things, lol.
Are there more than one German/Italian/French/Japanese etc.. RM communities? or are they each dominated by a single site?
LockeZ
I know there are a bunch of portuguese sites.

Just searching google for rpg maker and setting it to only show german sites reveals a bunch of german sites! I'm sure some of them are bigger than others, but that's true of English sites too. There are lots of English community sites out there with only maybe 30 games.
Yes, we have various, but many of them also died in recent years.

www.rpg-atelier.de is probably the biggest one (and that is part of a network with many different sites haveing their forums combined to a single big one).

www.rpg2000.de is pretty much dead. There are some german XP and VX sites, but I am not there, I don't know how active they are. But yes, we have many different sites, even if many of them are dead by now.
author=Mr_Detective
I am actually really curious to see what games did the Japanese community make. I 've been trying to look for a Japanese RPG Maker game, but the only one I found was Shrink High. :P

http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/7395/

And Seraphic Blue, the game I'm translating right now: http://rpgmaker.net/games/2727

Oh, and in case you didn't know, Romancing Walker was originally in Japanese.
http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/7395/

Those games are awesome ! Too bad, the thread is abandoned. :(

I can't speak for them all, but the Asians i know do prefer games that are more cute or pretty, with colourful or "friendly"-looking art/ graphics

LOL I have to admit that I prefer cute things as well. Maybe that 's just how Asian cultures are, as opposed to Western styles or others. :P
The Japanese RM community seems to me to be decentralized, or at least if they have a central hub I'm not sure what it is. (Maybe First Seed Material, but I don't think it's as big as the big English communities) They do have some nice directories.

Haven't played a whole lot of Japanese RM games, but my impression is that they're not all that different from English games either in the range of quality or of genre. Plenty of fantasy RPGs over there. I think they have a documentation advantage, though. I seem to recall learning things from looking at Japan-made scripts that weren't mentioned in the English documentation, so it wouldn't surprise me if their very best games are better than our very best games.
Pages: first 12 next last