TELEMARKETERS

Pages: 1
Do you hate it when these people ring up trying to sell you stuff and the worst part about it is that it's usually during dinner. The last 3 nights i have been rang up by 3 different telemarketers all trying to sell me holiday tickets, mobile phones etc.

So, what are your stories on telemarketers? What do you do when they ring you up?
Salesmen: "hey is your mother there? We have a great deal for her!"

You: "She sure is, hold on!"

*Leave on table and return 30 mins later*

"....dial tone...."

Works like a charm, It's OK to do that anyway, telemarketers don't have souls.
This is one of the ones i love to use. They don't dare speak to me after this.

Me: Hello.
Telemarketer: Hello, .
Me: Was? Wir ist das?
Telemarketer: I'm sorry?
Me: Ich verstande nicht.
Telemarketer: what?
Me: Ich verstande nicht. Im Deutsche sprachen bitte.
Telemarketer: Oh, okay. Have a good day. (they hang up)
I try to be nice: after all, they are just trying to make a living - but it can be hard when you've told them three or four times that you're very happy with the phone you have now and don't want to change.

A few weeks ago we had three call us in the space of an hour, the day later two more and one more two days after that. Then a week later we got three calls in one day from three different charity groups. Someone's been forgetting to tick boxes, methinks...

My sister's great to have around during these types of calls, though. She either:
1 - Strings them along for a while then hangs up on them (basically telling them 'yes' all the time.)
2 - Pretends she's twelve and wants to buy a phone because her parents won't let her. XDD
(If you knew my sister this would be very, very funny. ^_^)
3 - Pretends she speaks another language.

Coincidentally we make some very funny prank calls when things get too boring (which isn't very often. I feel sorry for anyone in our area at those times. ^_^)
author=Sir Guy Little of Wingsburg, Knight of the Realm link=topic=1256.msg18863#msg18863 date=1212574501
It's OK to do that anyway, telemarketers don't have souls.

Fuck you, grow up and try get a fucking job yourself motherfucker.

Uh. On a more serious note; I usually never get annoyed, mostly because I can't afford a phone, so I won't have to deal with it. When I lived back home, I usually just said "no I'm not interested" in a calm tone and hang up. Simple as that, they're just trying to make a living.
author=Monsieur Nemoi Le Chevalier link=topic=1256.msg18884#msg18884 date=1212592812
author=Sir Guy Little of Wingsburg, Knight of the Realm link=topic=1256.msg18863#msg18863 date=1212574501
It's OK to do that anyway, telemarketers don't have souls.

Fuck you, grow up and try get a fucking job yourself motherfucker.

Really sorry about that, I was only joking around, I didn't actually mean it. Didn't mean to cause you (or anyone) any offence by it. I have this weird thing where everything sounds better in my head. Sorry. It's not like I have a perfect job either.
We get calls about every 20 minutes, from like 11-9 every day.
What pisses is me off even more is that not a single one of them is a person. It's all machines and recordings, so you can't even mess with it.
I want to carry on my dad's legacy. He was really good at that stuff, I hear. For instance, he'd sit down and keep asking question for several hours, and then suddenly just say he wasn't interested. Alternatively, do the asking for their home phone number thing. Or say he'd be right back, and leave the phone by a speaker, and put on on-hold music for a while.
Seriously, ugh, machines are lame.
I don't think I ever really remember getting a telemarketer since I was like, ten. Do they not call certain people or something? I guess it always seemed like an inside joke to me how annoying telemarketers are because I never really got called by any.

Really sorry about that, I was only joking around, I didn't actually mean it. Didn't mean to cause you (or anyone) any offence by it. I have this weird thing where everything sounds better in my head. Sorry. It's not like I have a perfect job either.

I believe he was joking, hahah.
I've noticed the telemarketers have been making a come back.

That no call list must've expired.
Heh, I remember when I was like 7 and still had a girly high pitched voice. Well one day a telemarketer called and I was talking to him and such, then he asked,"Are you having a good day ma'am?"... ... then I hung up. Now I rarely answer the phone. If it's someone really important they call twice in a row so that I know it's them before I answer. Who needs caller ID anyways :P
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
I actually used to be a phone monkey for Wells Fargo, so I can symphathize with telemarketers. Most of them need that job to make a living. A lot of them hate doing it.

So instead of be mean to them, if you know it's a telemarketer, just hang up without saying anything. They won't care or think it's rude. They'll have said their pitch and will be able to move on to the next call.

They're selling something. So what I like to do is outsell them and convince them that I would not indeed benefit from this product/donation request. Rebut their points endlessly, since most telemarketers are required to rebut 2 or 3 times in order to not get lower marks on their monitoring scores. They'll give up and probably feel better.

After all, you'd have to be a really vindictive person to WANT the telemarketers to be miserable, right?
author=Lord Harmon von Ick link=topic=1256.msg18930#msg18930 date=1212606203
I actually used to be a phone monkey for Wells Fargo, so I can symphathize with telemarketers. Most of them need that job to make a living. A lot of them hate doing it.

So instead of be mean to them, if you know it's a telemarketer, just hang up without saying anything. They won't care or think it's rude. They'll have said their pitch and will be able to move on to the next call.

They're selling something. So what I like to do is outsell them and convince them that I would not indeed benefit from this product/donation request. Rebut their points endlessly, since most telemarketers are required to rebut 2 or 3 times in order to not get lower marks on their monitoring scores. They'll give up and probably feel better.

After all, you'd have to be a really vindictive person to WANT the telemarketers to be miserable, right?

This is true. My cousin was a telemarketer before, and trust me, they hate being annoying as much as you hate being annoyed. It's a necessary evil.
author=Lord Harmon von Ick link=topic=1256.msg18930#msg18930 date=1212606203

You are right about that but come on, it's not evil to have a little fun with them although i often go far too overboard.
I usually just take them on a run for their money. It's kind of dick-hole-ish, but here's my typical dialogue:

Telemarketer: Hi Mr. Joo (because nobody can pronounce my last name right...)
Me: Hello, who is this?
Telemarketer: I'm with the <such and such company> and do I have a deal for you!
Me: Oh, is that right? Tell me about it!
Telemarketer: It's got these great things like <insert great detail>.
Me: Wow! Really? That sounds very useful!
Telemarketer: Yes, and you wouldn't believe the quality of the <insert other detail>.
Me: You're really swaying me to get <insert product/service>.
Telemarketer: Yeah! You bet, did you know that it also... <insert other thing it does>
Me: No way! Then, it'd be great for other people too! My friends are getting married soon... it might make a great wedding gift, huh?
Telemarketer: You bet! And you wouldn't believe that... <insert other dialogue>

<now, let them talk and continue to give my support for another 2-20 minutes, depending on my mood>

Me: Naw, I'm kidding. Not interested. *click*
Pages: 1