[2K3] NEED HELP DECIDING ON ABILITIES

Pages: first 1234 next last
So I'm having a bit of trouble here. Right now, I have a command named Focus, which for each time it's used, it adds +1 to a variable, which will increase the amount of times the character attacks by 1, to a maximum of 8. This gives the character 16 attacks in one turn (she dual wields)...however, as many may know, there is one big flaw to this, which is present in pretty much any instance of this ability in the FF series. Why spend turns charging up Focus when you can just simply use the Attack command that many times to deal as much, if not more, damage?

This is the issue I am trying to deal with. I want to make this command be usable for the character, but not completely useless. Now...I am deciding if I should revamp this command and actually make it more like Final Fantasy VI's Cyan's Bushido skill. The question is, is this doable in 2K3? That is the thing I need to know the most.

In addition to this, I read that it's possible to recreate Sabin's Blitz skillset. While I do not know if I'll use this for any characters yet, the idea is still there and I'm curious as to how this could be done too. There's nothing to really tell if you press buttons in battle events, but apparently it's doable?

I do not know if I should bring up any of the other command abilities ideas I have in this topic yet or not (and I'm starting to think that some of this discussion could be brought to some other forum here), but I'll leave it at that. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. ^^;
When using a "build-up" command of any type, damage is usually 1.5 times higher than if straight attacks were used across those two turns. (This is how it was done in Final Fantasu III on the NES.)

You can increase the variable by 2 instead of 1. You can also increase it by 15, and then divide by 10 before turning it into a number of turns. (This would mean that there's no benefit to using Focus for only 1 round, since RPG Maker 2003 rounds down decimals, but the longer it builds up, the more extra attacks are added.)
Hmm....I suppose that is true, but there's no good way to emulate that in 2k3 really. And I'd rather not go above 8 attacks in one turn really (though I wonder if I shouldn't cut it down to 4 attacks in one turn, since that's 8 regular attacks from the character).

Although I'm seriously debating about the Bushido skillset thing. I'm really curious about that, and if it can be done (I know everything would have to be done via eventing...and all in one event probably but...), then that'd be sweet to do.
This kind of system is sexy if you use it on bosses that will defend for 1 or 2 rounds so you can build up instead of wasting your round by attacking.
Hmm...I never really have anything use the Defend command though with enemies/bosses. I do need to rework some of them though now that I think about it...
Ok, so aside from the Bushido skillset idea (does nobody know if that's possible to do at all???), I'm also thinking of having it so that depending on what level of Focus is used, it will give a specific buff to the character (i.e. Level 2 would give Bravery (x2 Attack), level 4 would give Sniper (100% hitrate), level 6 would give Haste, etc.), and then after using the Attack command it would remove said buffs. Would this make it better to use at all? Or does the Bushido skillset sound better to tackle (again, if applicable since I still don't know if it is)?
Yes, I realize I'm doing a lot of topics recently, and I apologize. Therefore, I'll just condense my topics into this one, if that's alright? ^^;

Anywho, this one is about Replenish MP (Regain 20% of damage taken as MP) and Absorb Damage (Gain HP equal to 10% of the damage taken). Would these be possible to implement into 2k3 by any chance? I have a feeling that it would be but...I'm not 100% sure. ^^;
Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
For the MP replenish, have a battle event running every turn with a conditional branch checking whether the hero's HP is less than the value of a variable. If it is, set the value of another variable to the first variable's value minus the current HP, multiply it by 20, divide by 100 and then add that amount to the hero's MP, then set the first variable's value to the current HP.

The absorb damage would be the same principle except you'd multiply by 10 and add HP instead of MP.

Edit: Be aware that using this method the hero will regain HP/MP for any damage taken, regardless of its source (even abilities that cost HP for example)
Hmm...well, I don't have any abilities that would have the character lose HP to use (never coded a single one of those yet), so I don't have to worry about that. I only have to worry about Sap, Poison, and Venom as those continuously reduces HP (Venom and MP Sap for MP). I'll give that a test run and see how it works out in the end.

EDIT - OK, I'm confused. I understand I need one variable (in this case, I'll say "Variable: Cloud's HP") for the current HP, and I know about the multiplying and dividing, and then adding to MP/HP. It's the second variable my brain isn't registering. Do I need that to be the same thing as the first variable or...? Because I can set this up in a common event I think, since I HAVE a battle event that runs every turn, and this common event is ran in that battle event at all times.

But if I have a second variable equal to Cloud's current HP, then it wouldn't work properly because it would check it at all times anyways. Would it be best for me to set the second variable at the start of the fight to be Cloud's current HP at the start of the fight or...? I'm so lost x_x;;
Nevermind! Got it working thanks to Locke helping my derpy brain! So now next thing I'm thinking of is MP Shield/Damage > MP. For those who don't know, this is whenever the user takes damage, the damage is dealt to MP instead. Now, I'm not going to have it just be directly that amount of damage to the MP, because obviously it would reduce MP to 0 immediately. So I'm thinking of making a portion of the damage be negatable and directed towards MP...I'm not sure how much damage yet though.

I would assume that this would similarly to this coding though, yes? Or would this be too complicated to pull off?

EDIT - In addition to this, I would assume that HP Absorb and MP Absorb can also be done similarly? Obviously, I can't do this via common events since it must work on enemies, but I would assume that if I set a trigger (i.e. "If Hero used " or some such), I'd just have to compare the target's HP like I did with Replenish MP/Absorb Damage and it'd work, right?
Trihan
For the MP shield it's gonna be slightly more complicated because by default 2k3 can't redirect damage like that. What you could do is something similar in execution to remove some MP and restore that much HP, but you'd still be taking the full damage and then restoring some HP (so, for example, if an attack killed the hero that wouldn't have with your ideally-implemented MP shield system, they'd still die).

HP absorb and MP absorb are an easier one, because I think those are checkboxes for skills in 2k3's database anyway.
Well...they are by default in 2k3's database, but say I want to have it as something as a % and not a flat value, like in FFVII. That way, it gives the character a bit of flavor I suppose...or something, I don't know. I'm still trying to come up with specific character abilities so that they're more unique and not bland and boring. Like say, on the character's regular attack, it would absorb the % instead of however much damage they dealt. Of course, I COULD make it a passive ability on equipment I suppose...

Yeah, that'd be the only downside to that I suppose. But if it's enough to just outright kill them then it wouldn't matter anyways right?
Ok, new thing! So I have a working Limit system now (which is used only for one character, Advent Cirno). Now, here's the thing. Everything works fine save for a couple things:

1) Whenever the gauge is filled (I used Maelstrom as my test, which reduces HP to 1), Advent Cirno does not enter the LimitBreak status (which uses her Defend stance to show that she's in it) until after another action has been taken, usually by her. In fact, I've tested this with her and another party member, had Maelstrom go off and had her reduced to 1 HP, and she didn't enter the stance UNTIL the other party member acted, and the Limit command didn't show up UNTIL after Advent took her turn. Do I need to make another common event just for her using the Limit command so that it removes it immediately upon being full?

2) After using Limit, the Limit command is supposed to disappear until the gauge is built back up again. However, for some reason it does not disappear after the first use, meaning if she gets her turn in again before the enemy or another party member acts, she can use Limit one more time (if they act before her turn shows up, it's gone, but if they act when her turn is there but she hasn't taken any action, Limit still remains).

So the question is: Can I make Limit appear immediately when the gauge is filled, and can I make it disappear immediately after use? Or is it due to RPG Maker's oddity with characters and their turns?

Coding for those interested:

A) The passive Common Event is ran through a battle event set to "Turns Elapsed ". The upper right is the battle event for using the Limit command, which is meant to reduce the gauge back to 0 and then remove the Limit stance upon using the command.
B) The gauge fills up 100% once Advent Cirno has taken at least 75% of her Maximum HP as damage. I do not know if I should adjust this to be a different value or not yet. Any ideas? She will be getting a Boost command which increases the Limit gauge (I do not know by how much though yet).

So yeah, need to know what I need to do to make this work 100% (if possible), and if the method I am using is best suited for her. I am trying to make her not suck as much. Her skills for the Limit command will be set to 100% (damage will vary per skill level now), so there's that...
Moving along (the Limit thing I don't think I can do anything about really), here's one. I have a couple dummied out commands, so allow me to explain them:

1) Threaten: The command checks Yuuka's level and subtracts it from the enemy's Level (enemies will have levels for this only, as I don't think I want to try making a "Level" for enemies. It's doable, but should I?). If the character's level is X amount higher than the enemy's level (varies per target, and I'm not sure if there should be a formula for this), then it checks against a random % chance (again, not sure if there should be a formula for this or not). If successful, then the target would automatically leave the fight, automatically giving the party half the EXP and yen it would normally drop upon being defeated, and the player would have chance at the monster's item drop at double the rate of what it would have been if it was dropped (so a 10% item drop has a 20% chance of being gotten via this method). Do you think this is a worthwhile command to give, and do you think it should be handled in a different manner? Or is it fine, and should there be any specific formulas? I need to brainstorm this one before I implement it. @_@;;

2) Hakutatku: Think of it as kinda like Vincent's Limit Breaks in FFVII. It swaps the character out for an uncontrollable, AI controlled character. This swapped out character's stats are meant to be the exact same as the swapped out character (not sure if the values should be different or not), and she only has access to the Attack and History commands (History being her skillset). The question is though, is this doable with 2k3? The last time I tried this, I tried to match the swapped character's stats with the original character, and it ended up with the swapped character having 1s for every stat (and then later all I got was errors for swapping characters). And should there be any stat changes at all?

Hope to hear from you guys! These 2 are kinda important as I'd like to give these characters a secondary command ability, and these are the dummied out ones that they used to have...
Trihan
To be honest, Xenomic, your aspirations for skill application have grown to the point where I think you'd be better off using RPG Maker VX or VX Ace, which would allow you practically unlimited freedom over what your skills are able to do.
Well, the issue there is I'm not going to just switch makers this deep in. That'd be absurd to even try lol...sides, if I can't do it in 2k3, probably best that I didn't do it in the first place! Such as with the Disease and Bubble statuses and a whole host of other things that I could have added in (granted though, VX and whatnot probably would've saved me 7 months of working on Bless stuff but oh well!). Sides, I don't want to put up with the coding in those things. Last time I saw someone say "Oh, the coding isn't that hard!" and then post a piece of coding, I was like "WTF is this!? What does this even meeeeean!?" lol

I got the Hakutaku thing working now (weird bug concerning the weapon oddly enough...saying it didn't have a battle animation for the swapped character when there was one. Checked the animation, tried again, and it worked fine). Just need to work out the stats and I'll be good to go! The Threaten thing I'll probably work on later, or think of something else that'll work for the character.

EDIT - Ok, I got it working, but now trying to fix things up. You see, the EX form of Keine (the swapped character) I want to have x2 Max HP/MP and x1.5 all other stats. I can easily make the stats match up, no problem, but I cannot seem to figure out how to make the stats the way I want to...any ideas?

Coding if you're curious. Left is the top, right is the bottom. All of this is in a Parallel Process common event. I was testing this by having both versions in the same party, so to make sure that it was working properly:

Ok, so I got the Hakutaku thing working 100% now...whew. So here's another funny thing.

Ok, so I have a MP Stroll ability, a Money Ring (gain 1 yen per step), and a Steps Taken event (to add +1 to a Steps taken variable for my Traveler ability). However it would seem that using teleport events adds to the variables, and I'm assuming that this will happen in cutscenes as well. Would it be wise if I set a variable for all instances of teleporting and cutscenes so that these common events aren't running during them?? Or is there another way to handle it?
Ace would help very much with doing this.
I already stated before (and plenty of times before) that I'm not switching makers, so VX Ace/VX/XP are not going to be an option here.
Trihan
I would have a "player controlling" switch that turns off when teleporting or during a cutscene, then turn it on afterwards and have your step counter event run when the switch is on.

Also, I appreciate that you don't want to switch makers at this point but to be frank it'd probably take you less time to remake everything you've done so far than keep jury-rigging inelegant implementations in 2k3 that it wasn't designed for. Heck, if Ruby's hard for you I'd even help you with coding. I could do most of the stuff you've asked about so far in a few minutes.
Pages: first 1234 next last