USING FINAL FANTASY MUSIC FOR A FINAL FANTASY TYPE GAME?

Pages: 1
How should I credit it if I want to use Final Fantasy music in my game? This is also has not been downloaded from the internet but from the official soundtracks what I have as a hard copy on cd.

I'd like to use the music from Final Fantasy IX but if it's going to cause me a whole lot of hassle after I upload the game here, I'm not sure if I really want to go through all that bother.
Why would it cause hassle? Just credit what you got it from.
FF music has been overused in RM games since the 90s.
It would make sense to use FF music in a FF fangame, but it sure wouldn't be original, just saying.
Copyright is a sticky situation these days. Some Starcraft 2 custom maps got pulled down because of it.

Barcraft removed from SC2 arcade

Although,

I don't see any reason why copyright holders would go after a non-commercial game - provided you give credit to them.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
There are probably more than a hundred times as many games on this site with music ripped from commercial games as there are games without music ripped from commercial games.
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
People will always associate FF music with FF, so unless you're doing an actual prequel-sequel-spinoff, it's going to kill immersion since the players will only be thinking of FF9, not your game.

This goes for sound-effects, too; there's nothing more jarring than playing a game and then suddenly hearing the FF7 limit break sound.
author=caparo
Copyright is a sticky situation these days. Some Starcraft 2 custom maps got pulled down because of it.

Barcraft removed from SC2 arcade

Although,

I don't see any reason why copyright holders would go after a non-commercial game - provided you give credit to them.

Not only aren't you making money from their product but...

Let's be real here, the people who would play indie games only instead of a commercial game are unlikely to buy a commercial game. People who play indie games in addition to commercial games will actually likely remember references, and check out the originals. As a not-for-profit game you might not even be obligated to do so, but...

A simple, "I got songs from Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, etc" not only credits them, it's actually free advertising. Or if that's too numerous, mention where you got it from. They are more likely to look favorably on your game if you cite where the stuff came from.

I have a mix of FF and other video game music, Indian and Japanese midi songs, and two Korean drama mp3s. Oh, and showtunes. I cited the Korean mp3s by name, then I mentioned the sites (since there were about four or five different games, and many many different singers for theshowtunes and Asian midis) where I downloaded the other stuff. I just remembered this site and put it as part of my credits just now.

Also, 9/10 it's better you don't rename images and songs. If there is a claim, you can say "I downloaded it from here" after a quick search.
It's probably a bad idea to unilaterally use music from ONLY FF9. Most people mix FF tunes in with some Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest, Albert Odyssey, Live a Live, etc. Varied sources keep the people from thinking FF9 the whole time through.

Otherwise, who is really going to make a fuss? We're all guilty of it.
no one here's gonna mind, and while it's illegal it's more or less impossible that Square Enix will take notice and go through the time and effort of shutting down a small-scale non-commercial fan project unless you take it as far as, say, that Chrono Trigger remake thing.

I'm with Dyhalto vis a vis diversifying, though. it seems like a better idea to source your music based on what fits the tone you're going for, instead of just matching everything from the game you're following. ripping well-known music is always kind of a tough deal, since if your audience is mainly made up of RPG fans the odds are good that people are going to recognize it and think of the game it's from, rather than whatever you're trying to do with it in yours.

(if you do want to use Live A Live music, a certain mawk I know made ogg loops of the entire soundtrack a long time ago out of boredom. they'll only work properly in VX or later, though (or I guess if there's an fmod plugin people have got working on 2k/3).
mawk knows another mawk... o_O they're spreading all over the place.
think of it like the royal "we"
Thanks for your opinions. I'm planning on sticking with just Final Fantasy IX because each Final Fantasy game had a different style of music and I don't want them clashing with each other. I guess an extreme example would be combining Final Fantasy V with IX.

I'm going to have a scene in the game where one of the characters has to fight herself, just like the scene in IV where Cecil becomes a paladin and has to fight his former self. What piece from IX do you think would be most appropriate for this? I've already put in situations where "Sword of Confusion" is used so I'd like to use something different. Or if there is one from the other games which you think would fit in nicely, let me know. I've got the soundtracks from I-X and Chrono Trigger.

Also, because of my views and feelings about this subject. I'm not willing to download/rip music from the internet.
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
You mean the Beatrix battle theme when you say 'sword of confusion', right? guuhh why does that track have so many damn titles?

Depends on what kind of pace you're going for battle-wise. Pandemonium could work nicely, despite it not being a traditional battle theme. Been a while since I listened to the soundtrack...ho hum.

The darker tunes are your best bet, I'd say.

Though I'd still recommend looking into Newgrounds or one of those artists who've posted music for non-commercial use rather than using FF music but hey it ain't my game.
While it's your own call whether to use FF9 music or not, I think it'd be best to mix and match and use music for non-commercial use as Kyrsty said.

If I'm playing an RM game, and I hear a popular Final Fantasy piece suddenly, it's going to be like: "Oh, hey that's from Final Fantasy IX!" and break immersion for me.

But that's just my two cents.
My advice, use the RMN Music Pack. There's some seriously good stuff in there, and it's original. To me, at least, that's important, because if I hear music I know from another game, it frustrates me.
Pages: 1