STEAM VX ACE GIVEAWAY - PART 3 (SPRITE CHALLENGE) - SUBMISSIONS CLOSED

Pages: first 12 next last

RMN HAS 3 COPIES OF RPG MAKER VX ACE TO GIVE AWAY (via Steam)

I now present to you part three of a three-part event to give away these copies to interested RMN members. The third giveaway requires some skill on your part:

Sprite a NEW custom monster/enemy for an RPG

The sprite can be for any RPG Maker game. Please provide the enemy name and a description/motives/tactics, and the genre of the game it appears in. You cannot simply submit a sprite you had already made prior to this event.

For example:

Urban Druid this enemy is an elite member of a gang in a post-apocalyptic RPG. They revere technology. He is not very strong himself, but he is often seen in the company of powerful droids.

(Yes, I know I sprited this prior to the event, but I needed an example dammit)

Caveats:
- Requires a Steam account.
- No substitutions or exchanges or cash-value equivalent!
- You have to friend me on Steam (kentonagbone) to get your winnings.
- If you win, but don't want the prize, you get to choose who gets it. That recipient is subject to the above 3 caveats.

You can submit as many entries as you want. The deadline is August 2nd 6th @ Noon Saskatchewan Time (UTC -6). I will then put all of the entries into a new topic and run a vote - the person with the most votes wins. In the event of a tie, there will be another round of voting for the entries that tied, to determine the ultimate winner (hey, I only have 1 copy of Ace to give away!)

Part 1 (Tagline) of the Steam VX Ace Giveaway can be found here.
Part 2 (Makerscore) of the Steam VX Ace Giveaway can be found here.

Good luck! If you have any questions, fire away!
edchuy
You the practice of self-promotion
Sounds like a fun challenge. Too bad I don't have the spriting skills. I'll be checking to see what others come up with, though.
It's a good thing I've been spriting more lately. The experience will help with this!
Can we use copyrighted characters so long as ownership is provided and that the sprite is hand-made?
Despite
When the going gets tough, go fuck yourself.
author=NilePro
Can we use copyrighted characters so long as ownership is provided and that the sprite is hand-made?

I think that defeats the point of NEW custom made enemy.
Aw, man, something "yours truly" ain't good as shit at.

I guess I'll have to focus on the other two parts of the contest. :P

This a perfect reason to draw that monster someone came up with for me!

I have a good start on it now :D

edit: Do we just post it here when we're done? or wait?
Done!

It's not perfect, but I'll come back to it soon and fix up a few things like the feet and his teeth. This guy will actually be used in my music game, Battle of the Bands. So most of what I talk about in his skills will be actualized.

Eventually I'd like to make bigger changes to it like making his guitar look way cool, and be full of scratches and damage(from his own claws). Maybe give him some shades, and a leather/denim jacket haha To give him some personality.

Name: Velocity Riptor

He comes from a universe where Dinosaurs not only survived, but evolved to shred like nobody's business. He is the lead guitarist for the band "The Carnivores". Nobody has survived a battle with these formidable reptiles.

With a heightened sense of hearing and uncanny ability to manipulate his digits at high speeds, he attempts to crush opponents by unleashing a wide variety of styles that always seem to come at the right counter frequency. He is quick to pick up on what the opponent is playing and knows how to adapt a good strategy for it. However, he becomes severely crippled if his senses are disrupted as his defense and recovery is very weak. He relies on his bandmates to help him in those situations.

Attacks

Shred - A flurry of notes meant to overwhelm the opponent.

Rip - A series of crunchy chords that rip through any kind of defensive sound barriers.

Emotional Solo - Adding the power of any fallen comrades, this wailing solo both soothes the band and leaves the opponent speechless for a moment.

Classical Interlude - A flowing wave of notes that greatly scatters any incoming sound waves.

Tectonic Scales - Ground shaking scales that often end up changing the landscape.

Volcanic Eruption - A burst of notes that consumes a large amount of energy, but creates utter devastation.

Extinction - Unknown. Nobody has lived to talk about it.

Special Talent

Evolution - Grow extra fingers and stronger arm muscles to increase shredding speed and power.

This was fun to work on and has really pushed my pixel abilities to new heights. Even if I don't win, I'll have gotten something out of this. I plan on trying to make at least one more of these, just not as big and detailed xD It took many hours.

If anyone is interested to see how the image progressed, take a look at this image
edchuy
You the practice of self-promotion
Link, that's a cool entry! :D I'm guessing since it is probably a scavenger type, its favorite food is leftover Meat Lover's pizza. Also, nice seeing the progression sequence, since the artistically challenged (drawing at least) as me don't have a clue as to how to go about it.
Thanks!

I'm guessing since it is probably a scavenger type, its favorite food is leftover Meat Lover's pizza.

haha Good one :P

Yeah, it seems so daunting when you see a finished drawing like that and you want to make one. You don't know where to start. But when you take it step by step and uses references like I did, it becomes so easy. I'm starting to move away from full on tracing and doing more of my own lines.
Forget the shades; he just needs a "funny lookin' hat" to complete the image.

(BTW, "Velocity Riptor" would make a PERFECT Maverick's name boss for a new Mega Man X game! If Crapcom ever manages to make one, that is.)
there are two dinosaur heavy metal groups in Finland (don't ask..) Hevisaurus and SauruXet in case you want some inspiration for clothing . .. Lol

not that you need it. That's an awesome sprite and serious winner contender no matter what else gets released here. :)

i'll try to make something for this topic, dead line is prettt tight though as i happen to be busy coming weeks.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
0range00 that's amazing...
author=0range00
there are two dinosaur heavy metal groups in Finland (don't ask..) Hevisaurus and SauruXet in case you want some inspiration for clothing . .. Lol

not that you need it. That's an awesome sprite and serious winner contender no matter what else gets released here. :)

i'll try to make something for this topic, dead line is prettt tight though as i happen to be busy coming weeks.

HAHAHA omg, awesome. I hope there's vids on youtube I can find later for that heh Thanks for the kind words, I hope I can count on your vote come August ;P
Well, seeing as how you are the only person in the running, I expect you to currently get 100% of the vote.
haha I won't be counting on that, but it would be nice. There's another week to go and some people could be still be working or waiting until the end to post. I just got excited and finished in the first day.

I'd be pretty happy to get a copy of Ace, it might be the nudge I need to move beyond 2k3.
I wish I learned how to "sprite"...

Damn you, Link_2112. You and your...spriting skills.
Genre: Fantasy

Name: Gurges Bellator (Aquamancer) Female

*the lighting effect from the spell looks odd against a plain white background, I designed this while using a battle background and didn't notice how much the lighting stands out until now.

About:

Homolluscans are a deep water dwelling race of humanoids. Using the four massive tentacles protruding from their backs they can glide through water at a remarkably brisk pace. Almost entirely aquatic homolluscans can survive for only a short time once outside sea water. An extremely intelligent and magical race, the homolluscan Aquamancers can bend the very will of the depths allowing them to cause devastating damage to enemies as well as aid their allies. A lifetime of training has made the homolluscan Bellator a fierce and deadly foe, they often craft weapons and armor from whale bone, and are trained to use their tentacles to both punish their enemies and protect themselves. Rarely traveling alone, small groups of homolluscans can occasionally be found alone coastal regions and islands. More often found in deep, open waters where they generally travel in schools of several hundred. Surrounding a ship and swimming around it in a series of complex rotations they are able to create a whirlpool. Once the ship has sunk they pillage it and move on, leaving any survivors to float or be swallowed by the depths. Sailors will often refer to them as Gurges Bellators meaning whirlpool warriors.

Side Notes:

I made this battler sprite using heavily modified components of default RPG Maker VX Ace RTP battlers. I had hoped maintain a RTP-coherent look while giving a unique presentation. I have uploaded the .xcf file to my locker, so if you want to see what battlers I used or even modify the color of her skin, hair, tentacles, eyes, or clothes feel free to download the .xcf file and play around with the different layers. You will probably need Gimp to open/edit the .xcf file. Links listed below...

Inspired by: http://digital-art-gallery.com/picture/21044
Download GIMP: http://www.gimp.org/
Doanload .xcf graphics file: http://rpgmaker.net/users/giaks/locker/GurgesBellator_f.xcf
That is looking pretty damn sweet! I am impressed.

...I should get started on my own entry.
Thanks Kentona :) it was a lot of fun to make, for sure.
Pages: first 12 next last