EXPERIENCE AND LEVELING UP

Pages: first prev 123 next last
(mostly @LockeZ)

Builds are more a WRPG thing.

I grew up with Phantasy Star 2-4 and Shining Force 1&2, Sword of Vermillion, Wonder Boy in Monster World, Shining in the Darkness and I loved all those games and all had fixed character growth.

As for why I play RPGs, for me there are some important factors (weighted, so first = most important):

1. Music, might sounds silly, but music is really the most important aspect for me and in RPG it usually shines most, especially the battle themes (though some Shmups also have good music). I need my Kenji Ito and Motoi Sakuraba music.

2. Dungeon exploration! I love huge maze-like dungeons you can slowly explore and map out in your head. They NEED to make physically sense for me to enjoy them (Phantasy Star II still has my favorite dungeon design of all times, no other game managed to make such complicated dungeons again). Best is if the game gives you an instant-exit spell and the dungeon has a "wide" design rather than a "long" design (that means many possible path but the correct path isn't actually that long if you know it, I'm also fond of ways to unlock shortcuts).

3. What Grayburg said about single button press. Love it when I can just smash buttons randomly and can watch those huge super combo flashy skills (best example: Valkyrie Profile).

4. Immersion - feeling like a big hero, feeling like doing something meaningful. Not too important but it's for example the reason why I really like Ys (along with the good music).

5. Strategical thinking - may it be small puzzles or combat spell choices. I actually like the action style a lot too, but it depends on my mood. Sometimes I just want something to play slowly, without any time limit, where I can wait to make a choice as much as I want and sometimes I want to play something that doesn't require me to think but tests my reactions skills. Usually Shmups can cover the latter, but for strategical thinking it's either RPGs or maybe playing some turn based strategy game (but there aren't many good ones).

6. To stay on topic: GRINDING!!! Yeah RPGs is the only genre that allows you too balance out your lack in skill by additional effort. That's why grinding is pretty important for me. Some Shmups actually added such a think as well by giving you more credits the longer you play them (Ikaruga and Gradius V for examplke).

So yeah, story is pretty unimportant for me, I usually skip all dialogues anyway nowadays (JRPG stories aren't exactly good, if I want a good story I play a horror adventure). Also making builds (or anything that requires "menu browsing" at that) is something I consider as very tedious and game flow destroying. Also kinda ruins immersion when you spend 50% of the playing time in menus and reading guides on how to make a good build.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
OK but only 5 and 6 have to do with RPGs, and 5 is what you're saying you don't like
That's not true, all have to do with RPGs and I explained in each section why.
1. Music is particularly good in RPGs.
2. Dungeon exploration only exists in RPGs.
3. Only RPGs have skill-free button mashing combined with watching super combos.
4. RPGs strongly focus on immersion, though other games can have that too.
5. Strategical thinking is also mostly in RPGs.
1. That is not something specific to RPGs
2. No. I explored dungeons in platformers and Zelda, to name two.
3. Have you played fighting games? or any other kind of games?
4. RPGs can strongly focus on immersion. Any game can.
5. Have you played, say, a strategy game? Real-time or turnbased, either or.
author=kentona
1. That is not something specific to RPGs
2. No. I explored dungeons in platformers and Zelda, to name two.
3. Have you played fighting games? or any other kind of games?
4. RPGs can strongly focus on immersion. Any game can.
5. Have you played, say, a strategy game? Real-time or turnbased, either or.

Yah, but you could say that certain RPGs do these things exceptionally well or better than other genres. Perhaps Rya likes the way they are handled in such games more than others. For instance, the nostalgic soundtrack of Final Fantasy makes him want to cream his little pants, but you can find that in Katamari, right? But Katamari doesn't *also* have dungeon exploration, but that can be found in Zelda, too? But he likes the way the Final Fantasy deals with immersion better than the action-oriented Zelda, but that can be found in the Walking Dead series, right? But the Walking Dead series doesn't have skill-free button mashing and combos, which Final Fantasy does well, but Tekken does it better, right? Tekken doesn't employ strategic thinking, however, and Final Fantasy does that (a little bit).

I think the point I'm trying to make is that Rya was trying to point out RPG genre's strongpoints rather than "RPGS HAVE MUSIC AND NO OTHER MEDIUM DOES", because of course other mediums have music and dungeons and skills and strategy, these are common to games as a whole, not just video games. There is a certain way that a lot of RPGs handle these elements in common, however, that elevates it beyond the norm, such that an RPG feel can be achieved without having to balance skill and stat at all, by just experiencing the nature of an RPG's story, music, exploration, immersion and strategy in and of itself.
1. no comment

2. Yeah...games like Metroid are pretty much all dungeon exploring.

3. Fighting games might be a bad example, because even though you can button mash and super combo, you will lose against a skilled player. Even though RPGs don't require dexterity skill, they still require strategy skill. There's more than 1 type of skill. Only shitty RPGs offer skill free button mashing. The ones that are so easy you can win by spamming attack or one step up, by spamming your one strong attack+heal.

4. I'd say RPGs usually focus more on story than immersion. Immersion is kind of an ambiguous term though. Does it mean that the maps are detailed? Or that the gameplay and level design fits the story well? Either way, like kentona said, all games can do this.

5. Any game that is more complex than say, angry birds, requires strategy. Megaman can require strategy. Sim City or Civilization requires serious strategy.

6. I would avoid any statement like "RPGs is the only genre that...". Any genre can incorporate RPG elements and prove that wrong. Even sports games do that nowadays.

Staying on topic would involve answering the OP and not listing what you like about RPGs.

Yah, but you could say that certain RPGs do these things exceptionally well or better than other genres. Perhaps Rya likes the way they are handled in such games more than others. For instance, the nostalgic soundtrack of Final Fantasy makes him want to cream his little pants, but you can find that in Katamari, right? But Katamari doesn't *also* have dungeon exploration, but that can be found in Zelda, too? But he likes the way the Final Fantasy deals with immersion better than the action-oriented Zelda, but that can be found in the Walking Dead series, right? But the Walking Dead series doesn't have skill-free button mashing and combos, which Final Fantasy does well, but Tekken does it better, right? Tekken doesn't employ strategic thinking, however, and Final Fantasy does that (a little bit).

I think the point I'm trying to make is that Rya was trying to point out RPG genre's strongpoints rather than "RPGS HAVE MUSIC AND NO OTHER MEDIUM DOES", because of course other mediums have music and dungeons and skills and strategy, these are common to games as a whole, not just video games. There is a certain way that a lot of RPGs handle these elements in common, however, that elevates it beyond the norm, such that an RPG feel can be achieved without having to balance skill and stat at all, by just experiencing the nature of an RPG's story, music, exploration, immersion and strategy in and of itself.
All of which is off topic.

And when a person uses phrases like "Only RPGs" "only exists in RPGs." " RPGs is the only genre that", it's hard to believe that your interpretation is correct.
kind of silly posts

- list wasn't (at first..) for rpg-exclusive features; lol @ only rpgs have dungeons

- 5b > 2a+b > 46b > 2a > 5c(15) 2c > 6b > 2b > 2d > j.bc > 28c > 4b > 2a+b > 46b > 236236d != summon > bahamut

- thread was resolved within the first few posts; wasn't even rya that derailed
Link_2112
All of which is off topic.

And when a person uses phrases like "Only RPGs" "only exists in RPGs." " RPGs is the only genre that", it's hard to believe that your interpretation is correct.

It's not off-topic. First, LockeZ said this

LockeZ
I don't even understand the mindset of the player who decides to play an RPG and then doesn't want to make skill and stat choices

in response to people not wanting to gain exp to level up. The Rya responded with her list of things that she appreciates in RPGs more than other games, other than stat balancing and skill choices. Then she was criticized for making broad statements like "only RPGs do this". Then I clarified by saying "perhaps what she meant was she appreciates this in RPGs more than other genres".

It was to emphasise that you don't need stat balancing to make a great RPG, because there are clearly other avenues you can go down to make your RPG interesting, proving that the motive that LockeZ was criticizing in the OP's post was still a valid motive. Relevance proved.
What thatbennyguy said. He explained it much better than I could. :-)

My second list referred to the points with the same number of my detailed list so when I said "only RPGs have this" I referred the exact implementation of what I described to like in RPGs.

But yeah the basic point is: There are lots of things that make RPGs great and are not implemented as well in other genres, so leaving away build choices is a viable option.
haha Ok, this is getting out of hand, but I can't sleep and have nothing better to do. The original train of thought has fizzled out, so why not?

The OP wants to have leveling. That was clearly stated. And he wants to know of ways to implement it to avoid or reduce grinding.

Therefore, talking about removing leveling, discussing what else in an RPG can be focused on, and what elements are found mostly in RPGs vs. other genres, is technically off topic. It doesn't matter what comment lead to what, it's not related to reducing grinding. You proved relevance, but that's not what is in question. There's a point B that led to his point C, but it's still off the original topic.

Rya wasn't the first person to go off topic, I'm riding that crazy train right now, but he took it way out to left field with some clearly ridiculous statements. I fail to follow the logic in how saying "Dungeon exploration only exists in RPGs" could possibly mean "Dungeon exploration is done best in RPGs". It was an incorrect statement and instead of admitting that, you're trying to spin in for damage control. You'd make an excellent politician.

"No, you see, what I meant is that I love 47% of Americans like they were my own children who depend on me"

I don't particularly care that it went off topic. That's pretty common. And discussing ways to remove leveling is borderline on topic, but still doesn't help the OP. But you can't tell me that Rya is not fully off topic or those comments meant something else. Come on now.

You're out of order, Rya's out of order, this whole damn topic is out of order!
Am I the only one who enjoys leveling up and grinding?

Anyway, I guess one way that I think was mentioned is to have set level ups occur at specific points: only after boss battles or at a specific plot event.

Also having enemies die off in a area after fighting there for a certain variable could be a way to prevent you from spending hours in the same place grinding.

Yeah, having each area having a cap to the number of battles is an option. ie- Cave of Death has 31 random encounters. Once you fight 31 battles and win, the area is now "cleared out" and you won't encounter any more enemies (except bosses). That way the amount of EXP they can get at any point in the game is capped, and you can build your difficulty around that.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Erave
Am I the only one who enjoys leveling up and grinding?
No, but for a developer trying to make a game that's actually potentially challenging in any fashion whatsoever, freely allowing unlimited gaining of power - via a method that requires no skill - is a nightmare. You can potentially solve that nightmare without removing the grinding, via some of the methods discussed near the beginning of the topic, but those methods will have a major impact on the game that you might not like the results of. In other words, unlimited grinding to become as strong as you can possibly imagine is fine for some games, but not others.
I think the creed should be, you shouldn't HAVE to grind endlessly to win a boss battle, but it's nice to be able to. Because, hey who doesn't like defeating a boss in one hit.
LockeZ
Me? I don't like it.

It cheapens the game.

I like feeling like I actually beat the game, rather than feeling like I simply finished it.

If the game allows anyone at all to beat the hardest enemies in the game with absolutely zero skill, I'm going to lose my motivation to play.

Like I said, there are games where it fits. Cathartic, relaxing games that are not meant to be any sort of challenge whatsoever. RPGs that require only time and not skill, that you complete by walking back and forth mashing A until the game beats itself. Games you can sit on the couch half-awake and totally zone out as you play. I understand the appeal. But you can't say that all RPGs should be like that. It's ridiculous.

Different games appeal to different drives within the player. Some appeal to the player's desire to experience a fantasy. Some appeal to their desire to hear a story. Some appeal to their desire to overcome a challenge. Some appeal to their desire to relax and unwind. Some games are about teamwork, and some are about competition. Some are about adrenaline, and some are about a feeling of mastery. Some are about enjoying art, and some are about experiencing emotions.

Once you've figured out what your game is trying to do, choosing what systems to use becomes a lot easier. Most games, if not all, perform several of the above functions. But you can't expect a game to perform all of them. Especially an indie game. AAA games try to give themselves mass appeal by doing as many of those things as possible; if you were to suggest that they have a tendency to become bloated and full of tacked-on, half-hearted features as a result, you wouldn't be wrong.
I'm going for a low level cap (10) that the player reaches about two thirds through the game. I made my EXP curve exponential so the time to grind an extra level quickly increases if you stay in the same area. I also changed the primary source of EXP in the early game to a one time reward for completing dungeons. The main goal is to keep the player moving and exploring the world, finding new EVIL to punch in the ???. Levels are the main facilitators of abilities and I want those to get rolled out quickly but not immediately too.

Now grinding for rare drops... I want to control the total amount of certain items that the player can get. This way I don't need to worry about the player spending way too much time rolling for loot. I set limits to how many of X item can be dropped or purchased (I should probably expand this to make it on a store-by-store or enemy-by-enemy basis) and made the rare drops just uncommon so the player will see them before long but no amount of grinding will load the player out on copies of the same rare item.

Cash on the other hand is the easiest thing to grind. I don't want to make its primary source one time like EXP since its much easier to lose cash than EXP. I want there to always be something worthwhile to save money up for through a normal playthrough (ie not grinding/cheating for a bajillion golden doubloons) and towns carry a wide variety of equipment including end game gear and the only obstacle to these towns is if you have the vehicle to reach them. So far I haven't found a good compromise between this and steps to minimize grinding but then again this is the XTREME version of
Tonfa
... after all, a free roaming game where you can get the strongest sword in the first 20 minutes has its own appeal ...

so w/e v
v
LockeZ
GRS: Solid compromise would be to keep doing what you're doing with the cash, and sell most equipment in shops like that, but make a lot of the good/interesting equipment not be buyable with cash at all. That stuff has to be obtained other ways. Treasure chests or 100% drops from bosses would accomplish about the same thing for equipment as your one-time quest rewards accomplish for experience points. If your game is very nonlinear, a crafting system would also do the trick, requiring the player to visit multiple areas before he can get a certain piece of equipment.
author=LockeZ
GRS: Solid compromise would be to keep doing what you're doing with the cash, and sell most equipment in shops like that, but make a lot of the good/interesting equipment not be buyable with cash at all.

This is part of what I'm doing. All equipment that grants skills can't be purchased (unless the player sells them then they can buy them back). Other steps I'm taking for finding cool loot is NPCs and dungeon rewards can give notes of where to look to find items / hidden dungeons on the world map. The exact breakdown of what is found and purchased isn't done yet, I'm trying to balance between cool stuff and still have some valid end game gear on the store shelves but the best/coolest won't be.

Crafting systems and I don't get along very well but the hint system is a good enough replica for all intents and purposes.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
crafting systems that exist as simply gating content until you've reached area x (rogue galaxy i'm looking at you) are horrible and should not exist compared to crafting systems that evolve as you move throughout the game but always allow lots of actual crafting at every stage of the game (atelier iris, maybe mana khemia? i haven't played mk. grandia 3's spell crafting is very rewarding all the way throughout)

re: level caps, my big games that i never finish expect you to hit L99 around 85% of the way through the game. the final boss is also always THE FINAL CHALLENGE because post-game content makes me sick
All I really want out of crafting systems is to take some money/nongrindy materials, convert it into a hoe, and give it enchantments I want then name it the Hoe of Death and run around with this thing yelling "HOE OF DEATH IS BACK BITCHES" then shove it into the face of some bad dude and ruin his day.
Pages: first prev 123 next last