RMN SECRET SANTA 2013~ [SPECULATION CENTRAL!]

Pages: first prev 12345 last
author=jomarcenter
And also look like a lot of people speculate that liberty is the one who done with almost all videos reviews. lulz. are there too many girls around here?

She is one of the girls with a notable, unique and highly memorable voice, after all. Who wouldn't guess her?
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I thought I had a vague guess, but I double-checked the Santa list. Nope!

*Edit: Also, the posting/writing style is totally different.

*Edit2: It still stings to read that it was not worth my time setting up a gamepage for Hall of Lost Souls, but should have done a thread instead. It might have been the better move on my part, but, uh, yeaaaah.
I have no idea who gift-reviewed my 2012 gift. Judging by the style, I'd say it's someone I don't know very well.
I have no clue who gifted me. It was a written review. All the same, thank you mysterious Santa person! :D
Seiromem
I would have more makerscore If I did things.
I got a rock.
OP has been updated with the names of who had whom. As you may notice, I had a few due to last minute drops. (I'm working on getting them finished, guys. One's currently done, the others are still WIPs.)

Hope everyone had a great time and I'll see you next year!

Also, thanks seiromem - I really enjoyed the LP~ ^.^

(Oh and feel free to post your reviews, LPs and LTs to the site! Of course, they will have to pass the typical standards as per usual, so make sure they're all up to standard~)

Uh, and would you guys like me to post the gifts up here for everyone to see or not? I can do either depending on what you guys think is best. ^.^
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Wow, Liberty had to do a lot of stuff.

Anyways I thought your video of Dragon Lancer was funny, don't worry about the harshness.
Heh I kind of had a feeling it was calunio, but I wasn't so sure. Thanks again calunio for the gift!

And Gourd, haha, now that you know that I'm your Secret Santa, I'm glad you enjoyed my gift to you. I understand that you actually requested for The Drop, but unfortunately, I didn't quite enjoy it. And so I didn't think it would be nice to give you a gift that I didn't enjoy creating. Fantasia was, in fact, the game that I had my eyes on before I asked whether you have any preference, so yeah :)

By the way, I actually still have a couple more videos of Fantasia that I haven't yet uploaded. I'll probably upload those plus the already uploaded ones onto YouTube soon :)

@Liberty: I don't mind :)
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I bet the whole "waste of bandwidth" line was supposed to be a clue. Maybe not. Not worried about it.

Anyway, I don't mind having the gifts shown in public.
Thanks for not hating me, Irili~<3 You're welcome!

Ah, thanks then Elipswich! I only said the Drop because it could use some love, so it's probably for the best you picked Fantasia. And i'd love to see more videos, upload away when you get the time!

You can go ahead and show mine if you'd like, Libby. I'll be posting it anyway, but it may as well be here too.

I had lots of fun this year, and I can't wait til next year!
Present Revelations

To: papasan96
Invalid YouTube URLhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_Yb9tXiDYnU

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: orochii
So, The Last Days According to Ezra is a quirky game with quirky graphics with some quirky music with some battles thrown in. I like it exceedingly though I don't appear to be very good at this game.

As with many games, shiny objects on tables and the ground lead you to where you go next in the game and I never have a question as to where I'm supposed to go. The game always leads me there. These shinies are objects or abilities that you can use in battles (which seem to bring me to the brink of death every time).

I earlier stated the the graphics and music are quirky. They give a very different atmosphere than what we are used to in the RPG maker community. The writing and setting gives an odd combination that says, "this is a modern day setting" and "this is prophecy of old". Another thing about the writing is it can be rather confusing and cryptic at times. This is mostly intentional but part of it is the translation. My understanding is that this game was originally in Spanish and translated to English.

Combat is...challenging. I was very confused about what I was supposed to be doing most of the time, what skills I was supposed to use and as a result died a whole lot. Because of the save mechanic (where only certain moments are given to you to save), this resulted in my having to redo lots of battles.

Overall, this is an interesting game with an intriguing environment and a rather unforgiving battle system. I would recommend this to anyone with a desire for something quick and different.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: Marrend
Marrend’s Game Discussion Topic: The Game

I’ve played many different types of RPG Maker games back in my day (please excuse me if I sound like some old fogey). A lot of them gave me inspiration for my own work, others were mediocre and forgettable experiences, and plenty were so bad that I save them on my hard drive so I can go back to them whenever I need a laugh. Marrend’s Hall of Lost Memories is special in that it does not really fit into any of the categories I mentioned, so it earns its credit for being something out of the ordinary. Granted, this game, if you can call it one, is not really out of the ordinary in a good way.

Hall of Lost Memories, according to the game page’s description (which you must read in order to understand anything that goes on in this project), is a compilation of three abandoned and/or unimplemented ideas for games. You play as the default RPG Maker VX Ace hero who has been transported to some dungeon with three rooms, each containing a game idea. All you do from there is walk through these areas with different settings and talking to npcs. There is no goal or primary objective in this “game” as you may call it; it’s a gallery of potential ideas.

In that regard, you might be asking why I’m so worked up about game. The reason is that while they all present potentially decent ideas for a game’s story, not one of them actually goes into how each actually plays as a game. It was absolutely boring and mundane to walk through these rooms of freaky story concepts that essentially feel the same, which makes me wonder: Why couldn't this be a forum topic as oppose to an RPG Maker game?

Anyway, as per the developer’s request, I would like to go into detail about each “world” you visit in this “game,” as the entire point of this project is so that the developer can receive feedback as to which idea seems the best. Again, why the developer wasted the site’s bandwidth with a game page instead of a Game Discussion & Development topic to receive feedback on unimplemented game ideas is beyond me.

To begin:

The Kamiyama Mess Hall

This appears to be some sort of Sci-fi/Drama RPG the developer had in mind. Out of all the game ideas in this project, this stood out to me as being the most interesting. The setting isn’t your typical medieval RPG fair, and there is some distinctive interaction between characters that gives me a Star Trek sort of vibe. Unfortunately, these character interactions are a bit hard to follow at first, as there is little to no proper indication as to who is speaking. Aside from that dialogue exchange, the rest of the npcs in this little room say nothing but generic drivel and… That’s it… Yeah.

Look, I know story plays a huge role in the RPG genre, but by the end of the day, you are making a game, not a visual novel. What would have been more interesting is to see a potentially unique battle system idea, or a description as to how each of your characters work in the game. That would have made the time I took to download this worth it somewhat, but in this, and the other two rooms, you just see a setting an some uninteresting dialogue. It all feels the same as a result.

Despite this, I still think this is one of your better ideas, so if you want to choose between any of these, I’d go with this, personally.

Tower of Legacies

What’s with all these Japanese-sounding names in these? I almost feel like you added them in arbitrarily and doesn’t really fit the setting, especially not here.

At first, I got excited because I thought I was entering a maze puzzle. Hey, it would feed my desire to actually play something! Instead, it was a collection of corridors featuring tablets telling the story of Tomagotchi/Sakoto/Gojira or whatever his name is being overthrown from his position of power. I can say this could work as a cool game introduction, or even some special temple to give this “game” some credit. Otherwise, there is not much to see here at all.

Castle Askigaga

I guess THIS one presents a game idea as oppose to just a story idea: Make some npcs talk to you and make others not. This is a bad game idea, mind you, since you could talk to EVERYONE in the other rooms and which characters to talk to and which you shouldn’t are very, VERY badly clued. That aside, this is just wondering around crowded castle corridors and hearing meaningless dialogue from a few npcs. Arguably, the worst out the three rooms, as nothing stood out to me about this one.

Finally, after realizing that is pretty much all there is to this… gallery of things, your best option is to talk to a woman who acts as a mediator between the real world and this one, and “return to reality.” Whenever I attempt to return to reality, however, all that happens is that my character graphic becomes invisible, and after talking to this woman again, I get the same set of options. So much for returning to reality, as if I was taken away from it with these dull game ideas to begin with!

To highlight some main points, while I felt like “The Kamiyama Mess Hall” demonstrated something with potential, the other two could feasibly do so, as well, because while I see three ideas for a cool storyline, I see NO ideas for an ACTUAL GAME.

Why not come up with a rough tweak to the default battle system that goes hand in hand with each game’s storyline, or if you aren’t making an RPG, give a miniature exploration quest (which would work in “Tower of Legacies”)? Because all of these are merely ideas for a story, Hall of Lost Memories doesn’t come off as anything that warrants a game page on this site, let alone an RPG maker project. If you just want feedback on a very basic idea for a game, which all of these are, you probably would have benefitted more by just making a topic on the forums instead of this.

With that, I will not give this game any sort of star rating, as it wouldn’t be fair for a project of this nature. I’ve mentioned before that I like “The Kamiyama Mess Hall” as an idea you should run with, but overall, my response to this is “try making these GAMES.”

To: arandomgamemaker

To: calunio
Nightmares of Jumping Bunnies is a game made by calunio using RPG Maker 2003. This game was an entry for Secret Santa 2012 to Marimo. So I guess by doing this review that makes me the Secret Santa to calunio and Marimo? I decided to review this game over calunio’s other games because his other games had a lot of other reviews.

Story:

The premise of the game is that when Demons go to sleep they dream of bunnies. You start off as a demon in a dream trying to escape bunny rabbits. The story is simple, short, and not very complicated. But for the type of game this is, it works fine. The premise is funny and gives you a reason to play.

Graphics:

The graphics are a mixed bag for me. You have a decent character model, the bunnies look pretty good, and the floor tiles look nice. I thought the walls for the levels were kind of simple and the graphics never change too much. Why couldn’t you have different kind of bunnies? (Big ones, small ones, ugly ones.) Or even use some different settings, since this is a dream (It wouldn’t be too out of place to have a level in a forest, etc…)

Sound:

The background music is from the Secret of Mana, which seems to fit well into the dream world. Other than that you’re going to hear “I love you” a lot. I don’t think I have anything to complain about here, the sounds seem appropriate.

Gameplay:

The gameplay is pretty simple. You walk around mazes trying to find a bed to sleep in. Bunny rabbits will spawn around the map and get in your way. The bunny rabbits don’t kill you or hurt you in any way. They just make it very difficult to move. If you get surrounded by too many it’s almost impossible to move. If you think you can’t continue you can hit shift to go back to the start menu. The game is pretty short and the levels are simple. If you’re looking for something to just play for the heck of it and don’t want to invest too much time this game might be for you. What I wish the game had was the ability to restart the level, instead of starting from the beginning (This is since most of the levels depend on luck and memory to beat.)

Overall:

Nightmares of Jumping Bunnies is a simple and funny game. It doesn’t take a lot of time to play and for some it will be just what they’re looking for. For others searching for something deeper, this probably won’t be for you. So my score goes down the line for this with a 3 / 5.

To: Gourd_Clae
http://www.dailymotion.com/f1496949676#video=x18qvjy

To: irili
Review for Bothering Snape by Irili:

Bothering Snape is short game made for the badaptation competition RMN held a while ago. Uh, it wasn't finished in time but that's alright. It's pretty obvious this was based on the Harry Potter Puppet Pals episode - Bother. My cousin actually showed me it not too long ago so I was really ecstatic to get the joke and reference.

All righty, that should be an adequate intro since this is pretty short. Let's secretly santa this game, eh?

There's only one map to interact with, but it's a pretty decent map. Considering it's RTP anyway. There were passability issues with some of the tables though which kind of irked me since, again, there is only one map. The face sets were from the video the game was based on, so no complaints though. My problem with the actual game play was that you just randomly examined objects until it let you do something. And a lot of the objects are just setting textbooks on fire which isn't particularly funny. I did giggle at switching the ingredient labels though. And if you do manage to bother Snape enough you're launched into a battle with an endless dialogue loop! That instance kind of killed my fun with the game, unfortunately.

Welp! I didn't mean to be a negative Nicholas or anything but I wasn't too fond of Bothering Snape. I do love the creator though! <3~Don't hate me~<3

To: seiromem
http://www.filedropper.com/sothereiwasjustslimingatyou

To: Zgeneration9

To: kory_toombs

To: PepsiOtaku
http://videobam.com/EwViI

To: edchuy

Slimey's New Adventure by seiromem
- review by ????

Slimey's New Adventure is seiromem's "RTP-RPG-Dungeoncrawler-thing-a-ma-jig," recommended to me by edchuy for the RMN 2013 Secret Santa. It's a game described by the creator as more of a practice game, so let's give it a look.

Story

You play Slimey, a good-natured if a little dim slime. Slimey has a quest from his master Nicob. "Nicob" doesn't seem to care about Slimey too much and sends him to fetch a book from the storehouse, which has fallen into the goblin treasury (??).

A big world for a little slime

From there the game is split up into areas, each with its own environment, element, and small pseudo-story. Usually towards the end of the area Slimey meets and recruits a new character. It's a decent setup, and there's not too much time spent in any one place.

As an aside, I'm glad this game isn't another wannabe epic like many many other RM games. The tone is overall light and it makes the game much more fun. It goes to show how much a premise can do for an otherwise average set of mechanics and storytelling.

Gameplay

Slimey's New Adventure uses the Yanfly Battle Engine and has a fairly average set of gameplay mechanics. Battles are a mix between random encounters and fixed encounters (talk to the NPC to fight) with the fixed encounters only showing up in the first level and as bosses. In general the encounter rate ranged from high to very annoying in some areas, and those familiar with Yanfly engine will probably be frustrated with it. Luckily no grinding is necessary, but not fighting all the encounters usually leads to bad luck with bosses.

I believe the self-berserk attack is called RARRRRRGHs

The battles themselves are mostly balanced. Slimey's got a good set of abilities, and Pixa his fairy partner is decent as well. Highlights include Slimey's freeze-and-regenerate move and an array of decent, cheap healing items. The two-character party was probably the most solid in terms of balance, even if half of Pixa's moves (low damage, low chance of +status) were useless compared to the other half (high damage, hit everybody). The first level featured Slimey going solo, and the standard JRPG formula is really really boring with only one character. That zone couldn't have ended faster, especially with the high encounter rate.

The bosses were a mix. The first one in the forest area was solid and pretty standard, but things started getting strange with the ice boss. After getting frustrated when she kept bringing back her minions, I bought a bunch of bomb-type items and ended the fight in two rounds. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be the dominant strategy, but it felt gimmicky. The third boss was impossible to get past without cheating, just because of its insane amount of health. This boss wasn't a threat, just a pure slogfest, and despite spending almost an hour on the fight and spending all of my cash on 40+ MP restore items (equating to about 100 full heals) I couldn't tell if I even got close to killing it. Boss design is tough. I would recommend seiromem to try bosses multiple times and at multiple levels (and maybe check if that one boss has a few extra zeroes in its HP total).

Aesthetic

Aside from one or two BGMs, NicoB, and monster faces, everything in this game is RTP. The mapping is non-offensive and a little bland, but it's really hard to make a distinctive style with VX chibi. I don't care for it myself and I can hardly tell this game apart from those with much much more experienced map designers. I think that's a plus.

Some less than pleasant areas

Likewise the music, sound, and other areas were non-obtrusive. In general, this is good for an early game, and there are no obvious beginner pitfalls present (tons of the same chip everywhere, obnoxious sfx and flashing, etc). Practice makes perfect for mapping, and I think the rest is simple resource limitation.

Dialogue...

...is a fairly important part of a comedy or light game. Most of it is decent and bland, although there are a few funny lines amid the minimal story. The accents the monsters use can be very annoying however. I think the goblin king is English while his subjects talk in weird slurs. Slimey's store-running slime brethren is possibly stoned. I don't think this game was made to be carried on its writing, but with standard everything, most of the interest falls here.

Some less than pleasant lines

There are a few ugly places (see above) and a few nice places (see below) and while I'd prefer more of the latter and fewer of the former, I think this game was simply not meant to be judged on its writing quality, but I paid attention to it simply because it was the most unique thing about the game.

In Conclusion...

My favorites

It's impossible to really give a score to Slimey's New Adventure because it's a self-described practice game. I can't really recommend it to anyone who's played a VX game before if it doesn't do anything new or interesting, but that doesn't make it bad as a game, and probably makes it an even better study.

I think seiromem is definitely on the right track though. The premise is creative and most aspects of the game are passable. He's gotten playtesting feedback (very important) and is looking to improve, so I'd suggest looking closely at what makes JRPG battles interesting and what makes enjoyable and unique environments. Hopefully a more ambitious project is in the works, and I'll be waiting to see it.

To: psy_wombats

To: Archeia_Nessiah
Summary: A Fairytale in Dusk Garden

Ho ho ho! This is my Secret Santa Christmas review for Archeia_Nessiah and Rhyme's "Subterranean Starfield". To be honest, it's not the kind of rpg I usually play since I prefer story and characters over battling, but it's one of the few of her games which hasn't been reviewed yet and it's Christmas, so what the heck. But did there turn out to be a brand spanking new PS4 in the stocking, or was it a mouldy orange and a lump of coal? Read on to find out!

Story

Well, there isn't one really. A random group of adventurers (literally, since your party are randomly generated each game) are asked by some lady to clear an evil tree out of a forest dungeon. Then you explore a bit deeper, through a ruined maze and the underground starfield of the title. Then it ends, I guess. I didn't actually beat the game, for reasons explained later. But I can't fault the lack of story too much, since it doesn't claim to be anything other than a dungeon crawl game.
Score: 2 mince pies out of 5

Graphics/Mapping

I don't particularly like the super-chibi style of VX Ace, but I have to admit the game looks very pretty, with some lovely touches like the map names and the character portraits (though I thought it a bit strange that my sharp shooter character had one eye bandaged up - wouldn't a lack of 3d vision put him at something of a disadvantage as a sniper?). The enemy battlers are especially cute and well-drawn, and adds some charm which is lacking without individual pc personalities.
The mapping has good and bad points. Most maps have some kind of gimmick, such as buttons that change floor layout or one-way passable statues. To a greater or lesser extent they are mazes, so there are lots of dead-ends and back tracking. Most are fine, but B5F is a real pain. It's super-mazey, it loops around on itself and, to make it even worse, the darkness limits your field of vision to a few squares around your character. You will walk around a lot before you find the exit. I almost gave up here but I didn't want to give a review without playing as much as possible, so eventually I got through. Luckily, you can buy an item which prevents monster encounters, so you can take your time to explore.
Score: 3 brussel sprouts out of 5

Gameplay

As a dungeon crawler this is maybe the most important aspect, since most of the game is battling. Taking the things I liked first:

The encounter system is well done. A diamond in the corner of the screen changes colour as you walk around. When it becomes red, an encounter occurs. If you escape (which was always successful, at least on casual mode) the diamond takes less time before the next encounter. I found this far less annoying than a normal random encounter system, so no complaints there.

There are loads of different techniques and spells, meaning that you can fight quite tactically. Because your parties are random though, I guess you could end up with few or no healers or unbalanced parties.

A special gauge fills up as you deal damage. When it reaches 100%, you can activate an Extra Step skill which allows each character to attack twice that turn. It's a nice extra ability to have.

Now the things which were not so great:
Most of the chests in the game need keys to open, which you can buy for 50 gold back in town. Why? You already have to grind to get money to pay for the decent weapons and armour, so what's the point of paying to open chests too? On B7F I came across two chests I couldn't open as I had no keys, so I thought I'd just come back later. But when you continue to the exit of that floor a switch changes the map layout, and there seems no way to access those chests again. So just because I wasn't carrying enough keys I lost my chance to get whatever was in them forever?

Some monsters can be annoyingly unfair. Especially the skill "Dream Bloom" which is basically "Sleep" (or "Asmeep" as the game calls it for some reason...). The Lancers on B7F and B8F use it a lot, and it almost always seems to work. So you can have multiple turns pass without being able to do anything. Poison attacks are also annoying, since the only way I had to cure them was with an item. If there's a spell which cures status ailments, none of my random party had it.

I admit I'm not that great at dungeon crawlers, which is why I played casual mode. But I still had to do a lot of grinding to get money to buy decent equipment. The Lucky Coin item helps (it doubles gold drops) but it's not exactly fun. Having said that, there was a certain charm about the game which meant I didn't mind too much. For serious tactical players they probably relish a challenge and wouldn't grind quite as much, but for casual players like me it could put them off.

Score: 3 Christmas crackers out of 5

Overall

Despite the occasional frustrations at confusing maps and cheap enemies, I found the game quite enjoyable and there was a drive to try to beat it. As a simple, 2 week game made with VX Ace Lite, it has a lot of charm and is well-made. Unfortunately, I couldn't beat the final boss so I didn't see the ending. It's last form has about 6 consecutive attacks, and it buffs itself and debuffs your party faster than you can possible counter it. At that point I was about level 30, with the best weapons for everyone and decent armour, and I didn't feel like grinding again to buy the best armour. So, sorry! But I'm sure a better player than I could beat it.
So, to conclude, as it says on the tin, it's a nice little kawaii-style dungeon crawler. If that's the kind of thing that you like, than this is the kind of thing for you.
So I guess it turns out that in the stocking after all was a...Wii U?

Final score : 3 out of 5

To: eplipswich
http://www.filedropper.com/twinknightsgifttoeplipswich

To: ratty524
Chaos Sword is a difficult game for me to review. While I can write at lengths about a great game or a bad game, I find myself at a loss when it comes to writing about a game that's not particularly good or bad. Fortunately, it's without any egregious flaws, which means that there's nothing fundamentally wrong with the game. All of my complaints with it can be easily fixed by the developer.

Gameplay
---
One nice touched I noticed right off the bat is that the game tells you when you're adjacent to an object you can interact with. This saves a lot of time wandering around rooms trying to determine what might hold an item. One annoyance, though, is that there's no way to skip through text, and lots of text boxes are filled with annoying pauses. A way to skip to the end of a text box and bypass pauses would be greatly appreciated.

Another thing I'm glad to see is that the ability to freely save anywhere wasn't disabled. RPG Maker provides this for you by default and it infuriates me to no end when developers disable it. Sometimes, as a player, I have no choice but to suddenly stop playing and when I have to lose progress because of that, I get pissed. I actually had Windows Update trigger an automatic restart while I was playing Chaos Sword, and because I had just saved moments before, I didn't lose any progress to it.

One unfortunate design flaw that Chaos Sword doesn't escape is having random encounters. I wasn't really expecting much else, but it's worth noting in case that might put you off from playing the game. Also unfortunately, the random encounter rate is through the roof and there are very few and limited ways to heal yourself. Before you decide to go exploring, always maintain a save in case you get stranded in the middle of the woods with no items, low health, and MP. Then you're pretty much hosed. This is a common failing of games with random encounters. Really, you need to either make encounters completely avoidable or provide some way to escape a dungeon if you get trapped into an inescapable situation. This is particularly obnoxious in the first dungeon of Chaos Sword, when there's no town for you to return to where you can buy supplies.

The battle system is pretty par. It seems to be DBS, or a minor variant of it. I didn't notice any mechanics that were particularly noteworthy in battle, either good or bad.

Writing
---
There's little to say about the writing. There are some spelling and grammatical mistakes which should really have been caught, but they're not a constant. The weirdest part of the writing is that people switch between using a pseudo-medieval dialect and modern speech constantly. That really needs to be more consistent.

The characters and story are pretty par. None of the characters are particularly memorable or have interesting personalities and the story is about what you'd expect. There's no significant flaws, but nothing that really stands out.

Audio
---
I didn't notice the audio at all, for better or worse.

Graphics
---
There are a lot of weird graphical inconsistencies. The protagonist's sprite is in a completely different style from almost everyone else's. For the most part, everything is RTP, but there are some things which are in a completely different style, which is very jarring. The most egregious inconsistency is that the face portraits don't even match the color scheme of their respective sprites. Samara's and even the protagonist's are both huge offenders of this. There's really no excuse.

Overall
---
Chaos Sword isn't a bad game. It's merely acceptable, and while that might sound kind of harsh, it's difficult even making something that's acceptable, and so that's still an achievement worth being proud of. I've played and reviewed several games here which are just flat out terrible while having significantly more effort put into them than Chaos Sword. It's not my kind of game, but I can tell that a lot of work has gone into it and that the developer has a decent idea of what he's doing. The flaws with the game are minor and thankfully correctable, so with a little bit of polishing up, I'm confident that Chaos Sword will turn out to be a decent game.

To: Deckiller
Game Title: Kolmesarta
Engine: RPG Maker VX Ace Lite
Status at review: In Progress/Demo

Background:
This is a Secret Santa review for Deckiller. I didn't have a lot of knowledge coming into this game, but I seem to recall this game being promoted (as it were) during the VX Ace Lite Cook-off.

Graphics:
The mapping is consistently good, and the lighting/weather effects added an extra layer of immersion. I saw some animations that I didn't think were part of the RTP, but opining a new VX Ace games proved me otherwise!

Audio:
As far as I can tell, this is entirely the RTP. Saying that, I think the choices with music/sound were appropriate.

Story:
The game is set in a kind of archipelago made of three large islands, each one being nations onto themselves. There is, of course, political tension between these nations. For example, the more militaristic of these nations has their ambitions kept in check by the other two. How long this situation can last is dubious enough. The rise of monsters that have mutated/changed by their connection to Essense (basically, this game's magic) is also quite troubling!
This sounds like the perfect stage for a rag-tag team of humble-beginnings individuals to become true heroes. The game doesn't provide exactly that, but it's pretty close in my opinion.

Playing the game:

I like how, during the intro, the screen flashes as it introduces each nation. Also, the name "Gala" made me smile, but that's a story onto itself.
It's good to know that I can learn weapon skills permanently by using them! I can understand the logic behind this. Though, until I got the message that I learned a skill permanently, I wasn't quite sure what "number of uses" did. I dunno. Probably a moot point!
Call me crazy, but I'm liking this puzzle with the mine carts. Especially how the camera moves with the mine cart. Okay, the camera doesn't always move with the mine cart, but it's still pretty nifty!
For some reason, I thought the game would end after the boss fight at the Essence Node underneath the mines? I was proved pleasantly wrong.
I probably took longer in the Sunken Ruins than I probably should have. I initially analyzed a switch to reset a crate on the upper floor rather than the floor the switch was on.

General Observations:
What the heck is affinity? Oh, intelligence. Okay.
The fact that spells use TP makes for some interesting interactions. For one thing, Scan is the most reliable way to get TP, if one is running low. It doesn't cost any MP/TP itself, and even if you already know the properties of the troop you're facing, you still get 8 TP per target.
There doesn't seem to be too much point in training skills beyond the five uses it takes to learn them permanently. For the record, I trained each one I earned/got up to ten uses. If there is another threshold at, say, 15 or 20, were a skill evolves (or like mechanic), I didn't reach it.
I like the cut-scenes with the antagonists. Pro-tip: Don't mess with Simone.

Summary:
Kolmesarta does well with it's political overtones and it's use of RTP mapping. Though, I think that if this steps out of the bounds of VX Ace Lite, this could be a serious hit.

To: Zeuzio

To: Sailerius
Mana Co. - Where we provide Mana.
Introduction: Finding Eden is a game where you explore the whole world in search for Mana that can revive all the people who are dead and such.

Game-Play:-
Battle System:
The battle system uses real time battles and also limits its Mana uses. You can only get it via enemies and objects but not via Sleep, etc... But still a pretty good system for a game like this.

Enemy A.I.:
Well the Enemy A.I. was really a bit crappy by going through walls during the play through and it could be annoying if you are trying to avoid some enemies when with low health.

Exploration:
Well going around and seeing dead people pretty freaked me out but it worked well since the plot really goes through with the problem. But a pretty small world and two bosses to fight with it really sum up game play a little.

Graphics:

The graphics are well-made. So good, in fact, that it was like a Japanese artist design everything from the top to bottom so free points for that.
The overworld is gray bar the characters who are still alive, and it helps to show that the whole world has no Mana to support it. The use of rain in the game really helps show there is a ton of problem with the world too.

Music:
Upon checking the music files there are only few were on file. In the game it really shows emotions except for the ending of the game. I suggest that you also put music on the boss battles if you can. The execution in the game were planned nicely anyway.

Plot/Character
This is the part where we get the plot and hit you with it…
--------------Spoiler warning
You're woken up by someone who is a read haired female human. (It may just be me but she really looks male thanks to the chest area of the sprite.)
You and the red haired girl go around the woods, town, etc.. to find Mana to revive the world. But two people think differently and have different plans when they find the Mana and won’t be part of the team to find it.
It's a pretty good story but the ending... I think there should more than that. I mean, I wanted to know more about what really happened and why everyone died because of the Mana thing and also wanted to know if they found the Mana and saved the whole world, really.
So I think the story is incomplete. Then again this was for a competition but I suggest that you make a second part to this since I think it didn’t solve some of the story’s problems that I found.

But the sacrifice that that red haired girl must do in order for everyone survival really touched my heart. I was really touched by that.

--------------Spoiler warning

Because of all of this I will give this 4 star for the performance of your team. I can see that you really worked hard to make this game a reality.
And also I look forward to more from you guys in the future. So hope this review is helpful and see you next time.

To: jomarcenter

To: Liberty

I know what I'm asking for Christmas next year. A fix for the images in hide tags issue.

Also, deliberate double post. Figure keeping the presents in their own post is best.

author=calunio
I have no idea who gift-reviewed my 2012 gift. Judging by the style, I'd say it's someone I don't know very well.
OMG! XD I must have missed this post. This is the funniest. XD
Town of Illustive actually looks pretty good! I think I may need to give that a shot later. I also would like someone to name a holy spell "Holy Shit" that would be great.

Saw some typos in my review, and it's kinda short so I might add to it before I submit it.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=Marrend
I bet the whole "waste of bandwidth" line was supposed to be a clue. Maybe not. Not worried about it.

Anyway, I don't mind having the gifts shown in public.

I have a tendency to be very very blunt when it comes to reviewing, and I don't hesitate to express my true feelings about something. Your "game" had some cool ideas, though.
Pages: first prev 12345 last