Poll

Which do you prefer?
RMVX/ VX Ace or RMXP - Results

RMXP!!
26%
RMVX / RMVX Ace!!
73%

Pages: first 12 next last
I personally like XP a little more because of the mapping options. Like how I can put a layer over a layer to kinda bring things together better.
It was confusing to me at first. I put the ground and trees in the first layer and I was wondering why the trees made the ground white. (I looked up a tutorial; haha)
Even though XP does have a better mapping option, the things you can do with Ace and the upgrade to every other part of the engine, puts it ahead in my opinion. The graphics themselves are miles above the drab, colourless XP RTP - and believe me, I know my RTP. XP RTP is the hardest to create matching content for because it's much more detailed and bland.

That said, you've skipped a lot of options like 2k/3, renpy, RM95, IGM and a host of other game engines that people use.

Also, VX and Ace are completely different so they cannot be lumped in together under the same header. So, uh, yeah, - Unfair poll is unfair.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I think this list should be:

RPG Maker 2000
RPG Maker 2003
RPG Maker XP
RPG Maker VX
RPG Maker VX Ace

and this would be just for best rpg maker.

Edit:

No one uses IG Maker, just to make that clear.
author=kory_toombs

Man, I always forget that it even exists.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Shoot 'em Up Construction Kit! Hells yeah!

I'd have to go with VX Ace as my favorite. Until they bring out a new engine. Then, it will probably be the new engine.
VX Ace all the way. The only reason I even own XP is to mess with Pokemon Essentials.
Where is the RM2k3 option?
RGSS is a great swiss army knife for coding your own game, but I am undoubtedly most proficient in RPG Maker 2003/2000. I've learnt so much over the years that I could make any kind of game with it... just the other day I was drawing up mental designs for a RPG Maker 2003 Final Fight clone.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
author=Liberty
Even though XP does have a better mapping option, the things you can do with Ace and the upgrade to every other part of the engine, puts it ahead in my opinion. The graphics themselves are miles above the drab, colourless XP RTP - and believe me, I know my RTP. XP RTP is the hardest to create matching content for because it's much more detailed and bland.

That said, you've skipped a lot of options like 2k/3, renpy, RM95, IGM and a host of other game engines that people use.

Also, VX and Ace are completely different so they cannot be lumped in together under the same header. So, uh, yeah, - Unfair poll is unfair.

Keep in mind this is which engine do you prefer not which one do you think is better and why.
"I prefer this engine because it is better."
author=kentona
"I prefer this engine because it is better."

That.

Either way I'd like to put 2k3 but barring that, Ace it was. Because it was better than the other option.
Marrend
I'm starting to think that the intent was to limit the options to the RPG Maker series of engines that are generally available through legit means (at least as far as English translations go)? Still, I would agree that VX and VX Ace aught to have been separate options.

*live&learn*
Should I do another poll with more then?
I remember there was already another thread like this, with more choices. Anyway, I still prefer Ace because it's new, easier to use, and it has more modern features. ;)
Marrend
author=Kaname
Should I do another poll with more then?

Naaaah! Just go with whatever engine you prefer!

*possibly reading too much into the situation*
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
author=kentona
Where is the RM2k3 option?

Yeah, where all the other engines at?

Rm2k3 is undoubtedly my favorite of the bunch, mostly because I’ve been using it the longest and it just feels oh, so comfortable for me, even with some of its limitations. RPG Maker VX Ace comes in a close second since I’ve been using a bit here or there at times and find it a vast improvement from makers past. I also want to try and learn Game Maker or Stencyl sometime in the future and take a step away from the RPG Maker engines in time. But for now, Rm2k3 and VX Ace are my bitch.
edchuy
You the practice of self-promotion
author=Mr_Detective
I remember there was already another thread like this, with more choices. Anyway, I still prefer Ace because it's new, easier to use, and it has more modern features. ;)

I think it might have been my poll, although the question and answers where quite different ...
unity
You're magical to me.
author=kory_toombs

When I first saw that IG Maker existed, I thought it sounded like a cool idea but never looked into it much. Do people not use it because it sucks, or maybe because there's not a large community supporting it?

Out of the two options, I have a soft spot for XP, having used it for years, but I have to agree that Ace is better in just about every way except for the cool way XP handles map layers. Ace seriously surprised me with all the different stuff it can do.
I'm sad that Kaname is not a supporter of the older RM engines...
Pages: first 12 next last