WELL SHOOT

Pages: first 12 next last
First of all, my fricken' 3DS Xl stopped working for no reason (at least not for a reason that I can see).

Issues;
1) Touch Screen isn't working
2)Start button isn't working
3)Select button isn't working
4)R and L buttons aren't working
5)D-pad and Circle Pad aren't working

I've tried searching for help online, but either I really suck at the internet or there just isn't any help to be found. I am here to ask if any of you can offer me some advice/assistance.

Yes, it turns on and off the way it usually does.
I was sort of hoping to avoid that. Though, it seems inevitable at this point.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Using my expert knowledge gathered from two and a half years working at a tech repair shop that works on video game systems, I have diagnosed your 3DS based on the list of symptoms you describe in your original post. Your core issue is that your 3DS is hella fucked up and that's the extent of my knowledge about them because you can buy a working one for less than it would cost to get it repaired. Good day.
Wow that's horrible man you should be able to get a refund. Nintendo systems are usually really well built I still have the original DS and I turned it on yesterday and it worked fine. Sorry man.
author=RedMask
Wow that's horrible man you should be able to get a refund. Nintendo systems are usually really well built I still have the original DS and I turned it on yesterday and it worked fine. Sorry man.

(I think it would be complicated to get a refund at this point)
That's the terrible irony, I have a DS lite and it works great. I've owned it for years and it's gone through a lot. Hmm... Looks like it may be time to bid Nintendo farewell.
Did it get wet? Did you try running the region-unlocker or something? Crazy that everything would fail all at once. I have a fat DS from 2005 that still works perfectly aside from a dead pixel.

PSPs on the other hand, I've had two and they both broke...
No it didn't get wet, unless one of my brothers did it. I won't accuse them just to avoid an argument. Anyway, I don't know what region-unlocker is so I'll check that out.
(Never had a PSP, I'll probably avoid it now.)
Sailerius
did someone say angels
Yeah, I've always found Nintendo hardware to be extremely delicate and finnicky. The only consoles or handhelds I've owned that have ever failed have been Nintendo. They charge an obscene amount to repair them, too.
^ Complete opposite for me. My Nintendo, SNES and Gameboy still work. Couldn't say the same for my PSX.
Wow that REALLY sucks. Personally, Nintendo stuff usually doesn't break for me. The only time I remember something breaking was when I broke my Gamecube (I don't remember how I did it, but I did it). And my DS Lite hes been dropped so many times on so many different hard surfaces, I don't know how it still works, but it does.
Anyway, uh, I hope you get it fixed somehow. Or at least get a refund or something, man. Best of luck to you.
author=MajoracanKing
No it didn't get wet, unless one of my brothers did it. I won't accuse them just to avoid an argument. Anyway, I don't know what region-unlocker is so I'll check that out.

There's a homebrew mod making the rounds at the moment that bypasses the 3DS' region locking. Not to play bootlegs/roms, just to play real games from anywhere. It's currently bricking machines all over the world!
I’ve owned a ton of different handhelds and consoles over the years and they all seemingly work pretty much fine. Even my brother’s Xbox 360, which he bought at launch, STILL works and hasn’t even displayed the red ring of death yet. Whenever he plays something like Call Of Duty or whatever, I like to come downstairs once and a while and see if that damn thing will finally die, BUT IT STILL WON’T DIE!

Depending on how old your 3DS XI is and if you still kept the original receipt / warranty for it, you may be able to get a replacement. If not, well, then I guess you’re out of luck.
author=nurvuss
There's a homebrew mod making the rounds at the moment that bypasses the 3DS' region locking. Not to play bootlegs/roms, just to play real games from anywhere. It's currently bricking machines all over the world!

Oh gosh... Don't those people test these kinds of things before letting them out there? At least they are very elegant looking bricks.

Maybe the broken 3DS was just part of a bad batch? I had a Game Cube that became a paperweight after three months, then got another one later that still loads up to this day.
It was briefly working without a hitch, but installing nintendo's latest firmware update is what's causing the bricking. or, installing the mod on a machine that already had the new firmware :\
author=Sailerius
Yeah, I've always found Nintendo hardware to be extremely delicate and finnicky. The only consoles or handhelds I've owned that have ever failed have been Nintendo. They charge an obscene amount to repair them, too.

I agree, I wouldn't be anything nintendo if it weren't for Zelda and super smash bros.

author=Dyhalto
^ Complete opposite for me. My Nintendo, SNES and Gameboy still work. Couldn't say the same for my PSX.
I like the classics, it's just the more recent ones that suck.

author=wildwes
Wow that REALLY sucks. Personally, Nintendo stuff usually doesn't break for me. The only time I remember something breaking was when I broke my Gamecube (I don't remember how I did it, but I did it). And my DS Lite hes been dropped so many times on so many different hard surfaces, I don't know how it still works, but it does.
Anyway, uh, I hope you get it fixed somehow. Or at least get a refund or something, man. Best of luck to you.

Thanks, I doubt I'll be getting a refund though. My lite still works too!

author=nurvuss
author=MajoracanKing

huh... I didn't mod it or anything. I did have some (completely "legal") music on it though. Could that have an affect?

author=Addit
I’ve owned a ton of different handhelds and consoles over the years and they all seemingly work pretty much fine. Even my brother’s Xbox 360, which he bought at launch, STILL works and hasn’t even displayed the red ring of death yet. Whenever he plays something like Call Of Duty or whatever, I like to come downstairs once and a while and see if that damn thing will finally die, BUT IT STILL WON’T DIE!

Depending on how old your 3DS XI is and if you still kept the original receipt / warranty for it, you may be able to get a replacement. If not, well, then I guess you’re out of luck.

My Xbox 360 still works too. I haven't had it since launch though. I think I might have renewed the warranty ,but it's probably gone by now.

author=Gardenia
author=nurvuss
Oh gosh... Don't those people test these kinds of things before letting them out there? At least they are very elegant looking bricks.

Maybe the broken 3DS was just part of a bad batch? I had a Game Cube that became a paperweight after three months, then got another one later that still loads up to this day.

Paperweight? Wow that sucks. Hope my XL doesn't suffer the same fate.

author=nurvuss
It was briefly working without a hitch, but installing nintendo's latest firmware update is what's causing the bricking. or, installing the mod on a machine that already had the new firmware :\

I'm checking this mod stuff out right now! Maybe I put something on my SD card by mistake.

Edit: Well shoot! I long time ago I put an R4 that was made for ds lite in my system. I just wanted to see what would happen. I'm guessing that caused it to brick. But why the delayed action? I mean why didn't it just brick as soon as I put it in?
It got fixed ¦P Actually quite awhile ago, but between being lazy and being lzy I didn't update this.

My father actually fixed it with a toothbrush! The was some dust in the crevices of the bottom screen. I'm unsure how that cuased such software problems, but after he cleaned it everything worked again.

Can someone lock or kill this thread or whatever it is that happens to these things. Much obliged for all of your help guys!
Pages: first 12 next last