GIVING PLAYER A GAME'S BACKSTORY

Pages: 1
While in the process of my project, I ran across a bit of a puzzle that doesn't bode well for the players, or me. The world and history that my characters reside in are rich and well-developed , but I do not wish to force the player into a wall of text when they begin, or sit through several lines of dialogue as they progress through the story. However, I do want the player, if they so choose, to dive deeper into the lore and mythos of this universe.
But, the question is, how? I realize that I could just insert books and scrolls into the world and present the backstory that way, but is there any other methods or paths that one could take to distribute information in a fun, engaging way? What do you guys think?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
A part of me wants to say, "The only person who cares about the lore and mythos of the world you created is you. Putting long descriptions of world lore in your game is the equivalent of jacking off in the player's face."

That's really not totally fair, I know there are games where some of that stuff really does matter, and occasionally when I get really into a game I will actually care about some of the lore myself. But it should still be introduced naturally through dialogue and gameplay as it becomes relevant, just like in a movie, if at all possible. And if there's nowhere in any of the scenes where it's relevant enough to get mentioned, then... it has nothing to do with your game and thus should be excluded, if you ask me. There's a reason Lord of the Rings is one of the most popular fantasy stories of all time, yet no one would even agree to publish the Silmarillion until after Tolkien was dead, and even then his son had to self-publish it.

Despite the above, I will admit that when games make collectible journals that describe the lore and give some reward or achievement for getting them all, I will hunt them all down. And if they're audio logs that play as I continue to explore and fight, then I will listen to them, because they're not interrupting me.
I agree, that's a good point. However, I did not mean that a goal would be to tell the story PRIMARILY through journal or "codex' entries, but rather the optional information such as a timeline or the process of creating a specific type of item. Of course, the information that needs to be told will be told, but for those that want to discover more if they're interested, the option will be there.
Another good idea is referencing via NPC dialogue. Perhaps they allude to something that happened years ago in a certain area (oh, foreshadowing areas before you go to them is always a good idea) and the closer you get to that area, the more bits and pieces you pick up about it through different clues.

A diary in a church has a few passages about a guilt-struck priest who saw things on a battle-field that you pass through half a game later. A young woman is wasted in the pub, rambling now and then about horrors she's seen. The bar tender asks you to excuse her behaviour because she was an orphan of the battle. An elderly couple in another town talks about visiting their sons' graves and how they wish they could place flowers there but they're too old (sidequest~<3). You find an abandonned graveyard - some gravestones are nameless soldiers, all died within the same time span. You meet the ghost of a soldier of the war and he thinks you're one of his men, he relives the war over and over. You finally arrive and find nothing but a monument in a large open field of flowers. Farther down the game you find a book talking about strategic details, maybe the journal of a general.

There's a lot of ways to allude to something that happened in the history of your world. Children's rhymes, fairytales, books, events, sidequests. Especially side-quests. Instead of finding Mindy's doll, recover a scroll from the ancient graveyard or lay the ghost soldier to rest by living through his fantasy and surviving (his guilt at leading his men to their deaths makes him linger and thinking your his men, you complete the mission he had at the time. You being alive at the end puts his soul to rest.) So many ways.
So, in some cases, you mean treat a portion of backstory like a optional sidequest that you can interact with, and at the same time, learn more about a certain part of history, like with your "ghost soldier" idea? That's fantastic.
Yeah. A lot of the time people use their NPCs for, well, just random talking. They neglect to use them to fill in the world. NPCs are part of the world. They have a history in it that occurred before the hero came into their lives, and they'll have a future after the hero leaves. Their lives are entangled in the history of the world around them because that history is theirs. So use that. Treat them like characters in their own right.
You don't have to get super detailed, but even something like, say, a 3 person home. Perhaps the father works in the mines and knew a guy who died from the monster that took up residence there. The mother could be stay at home, or maybe she works in the item store. Maybe her father was a judge and she remembers some cases he had in the past - like one where a famous general was deemed guilty of war crimes. Their child might have lost her doll, but maybe she plays with the son of an old fisherman who heard tales of a mystical fish and the kids spend their time looking out at the sea, hoping to catch a glimpse.
That three-family home just gave you some history. What have you learned?
- There was a general who committed crimes in a war and was executed.
- There was a war.
- The law of the land is against war crimes.
- A monster took up residence in the mines.
- The mines have been shut down.
- There's a mysterious fish.
- There's a guy who knows about the mysterious fish.
- It's found in the ocean.
- Can you catch the fish? Must you slay the mine beast? Will the general have some part to play in the game or will someone the player knows be tried for war crimes later?

Adding more depth is always good. Just... don't do what I do and go crazy with it. You'll never get your game completed. ^.^
xD I'll not to. I never aimed to have any of the NPC act as a generic robot, with a few lines of 'hello! Welcome to ', you know? But keeping that sort of thing fresh can be difficult to maintain, but that's why there are journal scripts out there, which I will most likely use.
My rule of thumb is to give each NPC at least some history - something as small as "Weaver, widowed, grandchildren, ornery, neat" can give you a lot to work with character-wise. (I also take the NPCs into mind when mapping their houses. Just touches of personality - a great lover of arts would have said art. A neat person wouldn't have paper on the floor or mess of any kind. An old person would probably have a chair near the fire for keeping bones warmed. Just little touches.)
author=LockeZ
That's really not totally fair, I know there are games where some of that stuff really does matter, and occasionally when I get really into a game I will actually care about some of the lore myself. But it should still be introduced naturally through dialogue and gameplay as it becomes relevant, just like in a movie, if at all possible. And if there's nowhere in any of the scenes where it's relevant enough to get mentioned, then... it has nothing to do with your game and thus should be excluded, if you ask me. There's a reason Lord of the Rings is one of the most popular fantasy stories of all time, yet no one would even agree to publish the Silmarillion until after Tolkien was dead, and even then his son had to self-publish it.

Hell, I couldn't even get into Lord of the Rings, at an age where I practically never put down a book unfinished, because of Tolkien's issues with shoehorning lore in where it didn't fit the context and pacing of the story. He was great at coming up with the lore, and created a far more developed and cohesive world than most of his imitators, but he wasn't that great at knowing how to introduce it.

In general, I think it's good to know more about the background of your story than you'll ever actually write. When you write with that background in mind, it'll come across as hints which suggest a deeper, more developed world, and the measured doses will help keep the player curious for the amount that they get.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
In a video game, I don't wanna read the story. I wanna play it.
My personal preference?

Tell the player only what they REALLY need to know in scenes.

For the more interesting bit, I use NPCs.

It gives them stuff to talk about, for one thing, and people will be talking about the world they inhabit.

Like...Here's an example from my own game:

lorewise, there are 4 Gods worshipped by the people. After death, people are believed to be "taken in" by one of the gods, and live in that god's "realm".
To tell the player this, I made it so that if they talk to the NPCs in the church in the first town, they all get name dropped in various ways.

Woman is heard praying to the +Goddess of Mercy+ to keep her sister safe from the war.

A soldier is praying for a fallen comrade, praying that one of the gods picked him up and took care of him, saying that even the realm of the +God of Pain+ is preferable to the +emptiness+ of not being taken in.

Another soldier asks the hero which god he worships. Hero replies with +The god of Fate+, and why he does. Soldier replies that he worships +The god of Fury+, along with his own motivation.

That's just one simple example of how to do it.

You can also use some scrolls or books if you need, but NPCs are often the best way to do it.
author=LockeZ
In a video game, I don't wanna read the story. I wanna play it.

In an RPG I want to read the story. I also want to play it.
LockeZ
Well, I guess what I really meant is that there are ways of incorporating the story into the gameplay, with or without text, and I prefer those.

Controllable flashback scenes are one common method. Just because you have a flashback doesn't mean the player has to lose control. It's kind of heavy-handed compared to weaving the story into the main gameplay, but sometimes they're perfect when you want to draw major attention to a particular past event. (Though even if I'm just watching it as a cut scene, I almost always prefer a flashback to a text description.)

An example of a game just weaving part of its backstory into the game seamlessly would be... the Kokiri forest in Ocarina of Time, I guess? At the beginning of the game, it's not obvious what the Kokiri forest is. There are a bunch of kids there with fairies, and there's a giant talking tree. You don't know the history of the tree, or of the forest, and you don't know that it's unaging. And you're never told. But what does happen is you come back, seven years later, and it's the only inhabited place in the world that's exactly the same. Every other town and settlement in the game has been destroyed, sealed away, is under attack, or has become filled with refugees. But everyone in Kokiri Forest is still a child, still talking about the exact same things as they did seven years ago. And a new Deku Tree has been born. You don't need to be told that this forest is eternal and unaging, as are its inhabitants, and that these children are able to exist in secret, under the protection of the Deku Tree, oblivious to the horrors outside. You can see it. You don't have to be told that only the chosen can enter or leave the forest, because you can see that it's untouched by Ganon, and you can try yourself to leave through the Lost Woods and discover that you get teleported back the the beginning if you take a wrong step; you're only guided through by listening to Saria's singing. Everything about the lore of the Kokiri Forest is made clear without any of it being told to you.

When possible, this is how I think backstories in video games should be told.
That makes more sense. I was thinking "wait, what? but... RPGs are for stories, dude?" XD

You mean the show, not tell way of going about things. Something that springs to mind is the prison in Chrono Trigger - you don't need to be told that terrible things have happened in that place. That guards, the atmosphere, the Maidens/guillotines/etc tell the story without you being told straight out that the prison has a bloody history of injustice. (I mean, come-on. Dead bodies left in cells? Bones scattered around the place? Guards attacking to kill on sight? Yeah...)
author=LockeZ
...There's a reason Lord of the Rings is one of the most popular fantasy stories of all time, yet no one would even agree to publish the Silmarillion until after Tolkien was dead, and even then his son had to self-publish it.

That's funny cause the Silmarillion is my favorite of all of Tolkien's works, I love that book.

This is a very good 'discussion' on the topic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otAkP5VjIv8

If you don't know what Extra Credits is, then you're missing out on some of the best information on game theory there is out there.

The particular episode I'm linking, talks about MMO Quest Design, which at first you might be thinking will not have much to do with lore, but they go on to talk about how one might go about revealing lore through gameplay.
Ugh...I couldn't stand the silmarillion. It felt like a textbook. x_x

I've heard a ton of epic stuff happens in it, but it just felt so damn infodump heavy that I couldn't take it.

Then again, that was a long time ago. Maybe I can handle it now, I dunno.
LockeZ
If you're gonna bring Extra Credits into this discussion, go watch the very first episode! It's about exactly what I talked about earlier: using the gameplay to fill in the story instead of using giant cut scenes and walls of text.
Another way it CAN be done -a method I found myself enjoying deeply, and as such, have become very invested in the lore of that game- is the codex from Mass Effect. Remember? You can investigate certain things, like landmarks for example, or continue a conversation with an alien species to learn more about their culture or history. The end result being that you would get XP for the effort of learning and exploring, and they gave you the option going to learn even more about it with the in-depth codex entries.
But a way they could have improved it was by the "unread" markings that they placed on its entries. Give the player another slight bonus to XP for every time they finished an entry, which in my view is a very good way of saying, "knowledge is power". Too bad that fell apart during the last five minutes of ME3, but I digress.
Typically, telling the player the lore works best when said lore becomes relevant. Relevant lore is the least likely to be boring and most likely to also be remembered. If you have additional optional lore, then the player is the most likely to be interested in the part of the optional lore that's related to the relevant lore recently obtained. If you feed the player some lore needed, then searching around the place you got the lore should give you more information. If this happens in a town, then talking with NPCs should give you more lore and if it happens in an ancient ruin, then maybe there's ancient carvings or whatever dispensing lore.

I would not concentrate a piece of lore entirely to a single region though. It can be fun returning to an earlier place and realize that lore which didn't seem very important at first suddenly have a greater/new meaning now that you know things you didn't before. Clever writing can make lore that seemingly unimportant at first later turn out to be foreshadowing.
Pages: 1