ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS FOR A 'METAL TEMPLE' DUNGEON?

Pages: 1
So in my game there are elemental temples, each being a dungeon, with settings, themes and gimmicks as follows:

Fire Temple - lava cave, jump over lava with moving obstacles
Ice Temple - ice cavern, ice sliding puzzles
Earth Temple - desert pyramid, big maze
Lightning Temple - island building, electric circuit puzzle
Wind Temple - island tower, wind gust puzzles

My last 'element' is going to be metal, though I'm really stuck for a setting, theme, and especially a gimmick!

Does anyone have any ideas?

I know these temples are fairly cliche, but I'm ok with that as I'm more into story and character design than mechanics and maps, and I'm making my game for fun as opposed to pursuing professional game making.

Also, does anyone have any good chipsets that are kind of along a metallic dungeon theme? This is in rm2k3.

Thanks in advance.
Power chords.

But yeah mechanical bits. Puzzles involving cogwheels and mechanical moving parts (clockwork puzzles). Also molten metal may be a bit like lava, maybe direct flowing metal with mechanical puzzles to cool it and create items and/or pathways.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Have Iron Maiden play as background music.

Just kidding. Actually, have puzzles involving magnetic force. Like a block puzzle where you push blocks to different switches while avoiding magnetic zones, or the block will get pushed/pulled away from where you're trying to send it. You would have to turn on and off certain magnets to be able to push a block through a hallway.

Or copy use FFIV as an example and have a magnetic cave where metal weapons are useless until a certain point in the dungeon.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Maybe have electrical attacks a big no-no(which does some effect, or just straight damage) even though there might be an enemy(or boss) who is super-effected by electrical attacks, so it makes you think if it's worth it or not.

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I would make it "a temple built by a lost civilization" and have it clearly be a modern steel mill. Just do a google image search for "steel mill" and consider yourself inspired!

- Girders
- Chains
- Rivets
- Steel plated walls made of rectangular overlapping metal plates
- Vats of molten steel, and chutes where it's flowing through the temple

Conveyor belts would be a good gimmick, as would gear puzzles or chain-pulley puzzles.

Don't really use Iron Maiden as background music though. ...Because Metallica would be much more appropriate!
I wouldn't put anything with electricity or molten metal in because that seems too similar to Eletricity Temple / Fire Temple respectively.
Just some random ideas:

*Weight based puzzles involving the relative heaviness of metals (Lead, Gold etc = heavy, aluminium, tin = light)
*Puzzles involving the relative tensile strengths of different metals.
*Puzzles involving the relative melting points of different metals
*Barbed/razor wire ._.
*Pit of 100000 nails
*Hallway of 100000 blades
*Magnetism, as mentioned by others.
*Abominable windchime/gong/bell related puzzles/switches.
* Have the entire dungeon be a huge mechanical puzzle whereby you go from mined ore to ingots of refined metals (then maybe to alloy, like steel) to a giant forgery where after amassing enough molten alloy you have to create some object that is required to advance, like a giant hammer head to strike a huge anvil or breaks apart some edifice in the middle of the temple that opens the boss doors/grants access to the last key or whatever (alternatively forging some special key to some lock using the right mixture of metals because magic lock, or forging some ancient blade that can be used to *do the thing* - either for combat or just as a glorified key)

Here is some relevant infortainment - the process is begging to be a puzzle dungeon already, you wouldn't have to even make much up:

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=RyaReisender
I wouldn't put anything with electricity or molten metal in because that seems too similar to Eletricity Temple / Fire Temple respectively.
By that logic, none of the temples except wind should have any breathable air, and none of the temples except earth should be built on the ground. And none of the temples except the fire temple should have anything alive in them, since life force is energy!

The idea of the greek elements is that most things are made up of a combination of multiple elements. You can't possibly limit your entire temple to only things that are only one element, even if you make up new elements. As long as you have an emphasis on things that are primarily made of metal, you'll be fine.
@Lockez - although Metal isn't a classical element in the Greek system anyway, I think it is in the weird Chinese system (that includes wood as a fundamental element too) though.

Anyway yeah I mean, unless you're going to do the straight up earth, air, fire, water, (optional - quintessence/aether/spirit blah blah blah) classical elements thing for a game then it's kinda just bullshit videogame logic at work anyway (as is what we're used to) - As a kid I was irked by Final Fantasy's element systems especially the inclusion of ice as a major element and water being a simultaneous, different, yet usually more minor element. I get that it's harder to inflict physical damage with water, or at least to depict it without it being actually kinda horrifying but it still bothers me that they're separate things. Blah tangent blah.

Anyway yeah for dungeons it's just a matter of providing some unifying theme, rpgmaker people could do with a moratorium on the use of classical-ish elements as a device in game design. I get it, it works really well in many situations and provides a nice metaphorical logic for game-mechanic-ey things but it's pretty threadbare an idea by now just generally. It'd be interesting to see people try to come up with replacements for what is nowadays just ubiquitous, automatic fantasy/game-ey shorthand.
Lava and Molten Metal just seems too similar, it's boring design to use both in different elemental temples. "Breathable air" is a whole different thing because that's what you expect to have in every dungeon and doesn't really change the gameplay unless it's underwater or in space.

Chinese elements are: Wood, Metal, Water, Fire and Earth. Electricity/wind is considered as "sharp" and consequently is part of the metal element (fire is strong again metal, metal is strong against wood).

Tech stuff was the first thing that came to my mind, but I'm dubious on that one, because so many RPGs have a lost technological Golden Age that at this point it seems more original not to have one.

Possibly an underground shaft filled with metal crystals (you can do a google image search for ideas on these) which gives way to an entire metallic interior. Filled with magnetic-themed traps or puzzles if you want your game to include any, metal golems, maybe magnetic elementals...
Thanks for the great ideas everyone. Most of these I don't think I am clever enough to implement, but it's given me some good inspiration. But feel free to keep more ideas coming.

Because of keeping things simple, I think I am going to go with something like a Chrono Trigger robot factory rip or perhaps use different tiles from a futuristic chipset I have employed elsewhere, maybe with teleporter or conveyor belt puzzles. But does anyone have any other 2k3 chipset suggestions for this?

Like I said, mapping and dungeons aren't my strong point, and more of a necessity for me so that I have something to hang story and characters around. My game is in many ways (but not all) a tribute to / commentary on traditional SNES rpgs anyway so I'm not too worried about sticking to the tropes -in this department, that is.

It's really interesting to hear about different elemental schemas, particularly the Chinese one which I didn't know about. I'm using one again because of my love of Final Fantasy / Zelda / traditional rpgs, but the particular schematic was inspired by Avatar: The Legend of Aang/Korra where they have air, earth, water, fire, metal and lightning as psychokinetic elemental fighting styles :)
BurningTyger
Hm i Wonder if i can pul somethi goff here/
I'll see waht resources i have...
LockeZ
BurningTyger
Hm i Wonder if i can pul somethi goff here/
author=Desertopa
Tech stuff was the first thing that came to my mind, but I'm dubious on that one, because so many RPGs have a lost technological Golden Age that at this point it seems more original not to have one.

Possibly an underground shaft filled with metal crystals (you can do a google image search for ideas on these) which gives way to an entire metallic interior. Filled with magnetic-themed traps or puzzles if you want your game to include any, metal golems, maybe magnetic elementals...
That's actually a wonderful idea: caves full of glowing crystals where golems or robots roam. But are they self-replicating or do we see them coming off conveyor belts? Combining it with my own suggestion, a "Temple of Industr"' full of razor pendulums, automatons, and conveyor beltsthat emphasizes machinelike precision- would make a refreshing blend. There are various places to gather visual elements- Lennus/Paladin's Quest, Alcahest, and others.
author=BurningTyger
That's actually a wonderful idea: caves full of glowing crystals where golems or robots roam. But are they self-replicating or do we see them coming off conveyor belts? Combining it with my own suggestion, a "Temple of Industr"' full of razor pendulums, automatons, and conveyor beltsthat emphasizes machinelike precision- would make a refreshing blend. There are various places to gather visual elements- Lennus/Paladin's Quest, Alcahest, and others.

I haven't played Alcahest, and I'm a long way from an expert mapper or artist, so maybe other people can see potential I can't, but my impression is that the visual style of Lennus will tend to clash with anything that's not Lennus.
Pages: 1