WOULD THIS BE PLAYABLE?

Pages: first 123 next last
This is a video of my fog system. I am not sure if the constant blinking would make the game unplayable though. The blinking is caused from lack of processing power in rpg maker and will not occur every time, but about 90% of the time. I can remove the blinking, but then the player will be able to briefly see under the fog every time they move which would defeat the purpose of the fog. The stuff to the right is where the HUD would be, so just ignore that.

Note: I wasn't sure if this should be posted here or the help section.
The blinking really seems quite annoying. I'm not too familiar with RPG Maker but in DOS console I usually solve it by not calling "clearscreen" but rather just overdraw each tile one by one.
Well the problem is that the algorithm used to determine the line of sight exceeds rpg maker's processing speed for events. I could probably get rid of the blinking if I invested more time into it, but it would probably take quite a bit more time and it is getting quite frustrating.
What if you make movement instant so there is only one frame for each tile moved?
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
So...what exactly are you trying to accomplish with this effect?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I would turn this off after about 30 seconds, no matter how much the gameplay or plot interested me. Sorry.

I'm not sure what you mean by "exceeds RPG Maker's processing speed for events." I am sure you could simply call the line of sight algorithm after each time the player moves...
The lag is enormous. If you want to use fog you need to optimize the code so it doesn't take a second to calculate it all. If you can't get it to match Ultima 4's speed at least I'd toss it.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
from halibabica
So...what exactly are you trying to accomplish with this effect?

from GreatRedSpirit
Ultima 4

Never mind...
Edit: I found a way to optimize it, so I won't have to deal with the blinking.
Good, because there's no way that was playable...
It now runs smoothly and even more accurate! Here is the fully functional fog system in all its glory.

I am not sure why the hero was moving weird(It was because of the placeholder sprite) when I recorded this, but it only happened when recording so most likely that's what caused it.

Now I just need to work on a movement system for it. As it is now the fog will not be created correctly if the hero is in mid movement, so I need to stop the hero every tile so the picture coordinates for the fog won't be halfway on a tile.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Yeah, keep working on it, but it's a lot closer.

One way to make sure it doesn't get confused about where to put the fog when the hero is mid-step would be to make it so when you move into line of sight of a tile, the fog picture over that tile changes from a black square to a transparent one, instead of removing the picture. Then when the player moves out of line of sight, you can simply change it back to black.

This might also speed up the processing considerably since it won't be loading and drawing pictures each step, just changing the opacity of the pictures that are already there.
I actually don't have any more processing issues and the weird movement in the video is from the recording software lagging the game. The problem with doing what you suggest is that I would need a picture for every tile on the map, a 20x15 map consists of 300 tiles just imagine larger maps. The way I do it now is create a picture for every tile on screen plus 1 more, so that when the screen moves there is still fog hiding enemies/items/etc and then I have the fog created again to update it. The real problem is that rpg maker shows pictures based on screen coordinates instead of map coordinates, so if your moving there is no accurate way to cover a tile with a 16x16 picture. I have a some what easy fix for this and that is to create the fog every time the hero moves one tile and also prevent the hero from moving until the fog is done. I have another topic about this though in the help section.
LockeZ
Well, my idea doesn't require putting a picture over every tile on the map. You only need to cover every tile on the screen plus one extra row of tiles beyond each of the four edges of the screen. 370 tiles. Then you will have to draw 15-20 tiles each time the player moves - but the ones you're drawing will be off the edge of the visible screen, so you don't have to stop the player.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
Yeah, I reckon it still isn't playable at that speed, but if you make it so you can walk freely, then it looks like a really good LOS system.
That isn't going to happen though and isn't possible because of the way the show picture command works. When I do finish my movement system the player will be able to travel the same distances you would normally, but will have to wait 1/10 seconds each tile and have a faster movement speed to make up for the wait.
LockeZ
???

Why would it not be possible, you can totally show pictures off the edge of the screen
I was responding to Cashmere and did you not read my earlier post? The main problem is walking will mess up the fog. Unless you could show pictures using map coordinates instead of screen relative ones the fog won't always appear completely over the map tiles.

Here is an example of the type of movement needed for the fog to be displayed correctly.

Is this speed acceptable? I can still speed it up with a bit of tweaking.

CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
It depends on the scope or size of the map. If all gameplay is concentrated in one small area, and you don't have to move around much, then such a navigation system is acceptable. Moving slowly is only tolerable if the goal points are in close proximity to the player. I can imagine that if there is a small lag between steps, as in the video, walking to the other side of a very big map will be a frustrating process.
LockeZ
Have you considered using a custom movement system that teleports the player to the next tile instead of walking there pixel by pixel, like Ultima IV uses in the video that was linked above?
Pages: first 123 next last