WHAT CORRUPTS A SAVE FILE?

Pages: 1
I'm going to be working on a game that will have episodic releases, something I've never done before. The thing is, I'm using RPG Maker 2k3, and I want to be very careful not to change certain things that might corrupt a save file, because apparently making changes in some database arrays could potentially mess everything up for an older save. Does anyone have any pointers on what to watch out for before releasing the next episode? Thanks!
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
> Don't change the IDs/locations in the database of any items, equipment, spells, heroes, or classes that were in the earlier episodes. Adding new things to blank spots in the lists is fine, but changing what was there in the earlier episodes will break the save files.
> Don't change the stat growth curves, XP curves, or levels at which spells are learned for any of the heroes or classes that existed in the earlier episodes. (This won't crash the game, but it will cause bad results.)
> DO NOT reduce the maximum sizes of any of the lists in the database, even if you weren't using the bottom half of it. Increasing the maximum size is fine, though.
author=LockeZ
> Don't change the IDs/locations in the database of any items, equipment, spells, heroes, or classes that were in the earlier episodes. Adding new things to blank spots in the lists is fine, but changing what was there in the earlier episodes will break the save files.

So just to clarify on a specific point, I shouldn't change the title or variables of an item?

You can change the title and variables of items. Just don't copy the item to another location and expect things to work.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
If you change the name of Potion to Double Mocha, be aware that, obviously, all the potions the player had in their inventory will turn into double mochas! This probably isn't something you want to happen.

Fixing a typo, renaming Potion to Normal Potion, and tweaking the power of an item are things you might actually want to do though, and those things will all work fine.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Besides database, some scripts may also corrupt save files. Removing or adding scripts that drastically change gameplay. Some scripts are okay and others... Will fuck up your game if you try to use an old save file.
author=kory_toombs
Besides database, some scripts may also corrupt save files. Removing or adding scripts that drastically change gameplay. Some scripts are okay and others... Will fuck up your game if you try to use an old save file.

Scripts? Wha? Are you talking about RGSS or DynRPG?
Pages: 1