MISTER NETFLIX, SET COURSE FOR NEW STAR TREK SERIES. ENGAGE!

Pages: 1
Anyone like Star Trek? Well, I sure as hell do. It's always made for fun science fiction on the small screen. I've recently been watching Deep Space Nine after ignoring it back when it was first airing and I'm falling in love with the characterization. With the exception of Dax, they've all got so much personality. While Trek series did get kind of stale with Enterprise, the writers have always been able to give life to some pretty great characters.

Anyway, we haven't had a Trek series since Enterprise ended in 2005. With Abrams' Trek movies doing so well in the mainstream, and with viewing figures for the Trek series being overwhelmingly good on Netflix, everyone's favourite streaming service has decided that they'd love to make a new series and have gone as far as to write to CBS, the company that currently holds the biggest slice of the Star Trek rights pie, to express their desire to make a new Star Trek series. CBS apparently gets on great with Netflix, which only makes this more likely to happen.

BUT! There is one potential obstacle! Viacom also partially owns the rights to Star Trek, and as the source article mentions, CBS + Viacom = ENEMIES. It also goes on to say that Viacom prefers to work with Amazon rather than Netflix. Still, I feel like this is probably a smaller obstacle than the article leads one to believe. With Netflix throwing their hat in the ring and saying that they want to make a new Trek series, it's really only a matter of time.

Source: UPROXX

So how do you guys feel about this? Did you ever enjoy any of the Star Trek series? With renewed mainstream interest in Star Trek thanks to Abrams and his mass appeal takes on Trek, I think that a new series could do exceptionally well if set at the right time in the Trek timeline.
Engage!

I am a fan of the new movies and I liked Star Trek: TNG a lot. I still think that the series finale is the best "movie" of them all. I am looking forward 20 years when they reboot the TNG franchise movies.

I didn't watch the original (except a couple episodes (trouble with tribbles, yeah!)) and I didn't care for DS9, but I liked Voyager well enough, and Enterprise grew on me. But fuck Enterprise's intro music. Needs to be an orchestral score, man.
Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
Despite what other trekkies may say, I really liked new Star Trek movie. I think new series (if made) should follow journeys of young Kirk and rest of original Enterprise crew (with same actors that starred in the movie).
I had mixed feelings about the new star-trek movie.
The classic series were way better in my opinion.
Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
I think it's nostalgia talking through you. Go rewatch TOS. I'm sure you'll find most of it... pretty boring.

TNG was better though, and I've rewatched all of it few weeks ago, so it is really fresh in my mind.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Viacom, who had Rick Berman helming Star Trek all the way through since Roddenberry's death, is the one that ran Star Trek into the ground, not only turning much of Star Trek's continuity on its ear, but together with Brannon Braga, were actually doing things I truly believe was intended to piss the fans off. As a fan fiction writer with a number of Star Trek stories to my name, I remember a time when Paramount was out with a tomahawk to have fan fiction writers prosecuted, imprisoned, spent millions of dollars to try and get any fan fiction writer (right down to little 12-y-o boys and girls) to reimburse them for "lost revenue" until the U. S. Supreme Court bitch slapped them and told them they were bang out of order.

After that, the storylines on Star Trek: Enterprise were, beyond a doubt, a direct attack on fan fiction, particularly killing off Trip, some of the worst writing ever conceived, in a setting that defied reason, under a circumstance that any reasoning individual would regard impossible, with Trip making a decision that was totally devoid of sanity. It felt like Berman and Braga were shouting out us. "SEE! WE OWN THESE CHARACTERS! NOT YOU! WE CREATED THEM AND WE CAN DESTROY THEM!"

I would be willing to participate in a campaign to completely strip Viacom of its Star Trek rights. I would love to see a new series with no hint of Berman and Braga. What a shame. One of the best writers they ever brought on was Michael Pillar. *sigh* He had to go and die of a heart attack half-way through Voyager. Jeri Taylor left after that (the only reason she even came on was because she was friends with Michael Pillar, and she wasn't interested in staying when he died. Turns out she thought Berman and Braga were assholes. Imagine that.)

Bring Ira Steven Behr (co-creator of the Ferengi with Armin Shimerman, and almost single-handed plot writer for all of the magnificent Deep Space Nine) over to CBS and put him in a room with Alex Kurtzman-Counter and J. R. Orci. Not J. J. Abrams. Don't get me wrong. He's great. Alias was an awesome show. Star Trek 2009 rocked. Into Darkness wasn't so great. My problem with Abrams: he's not a Star Trek fan. He's open about this. He doesn't hide it. He likes it well enough but not enough to call himself a fan. He's a Star Wars man all the way. Kurtzman-Counter and Orci are the Trekkies.

New series: Yes. Enough spin offs. Enough prequels. Move on to the next Enterprise crew (after Picard's crew). Time to get back to the core story.
I find that Dax has just as much personality as the rest. She's lived 7 lifetimes with the most recent being an old man and a young lady. She acts reserved and mischievous but caring. I dunno, I find that every main cast character has merit. Of course some more than others. Quark vs Odo is the best, almost out of every series.

I don't care for the new movies. Too much lens flare. It would be nice to see a new official series but I won't hold my breath.

I didn't watch the original (except a couple episodes (trouble with tribbles, yeah!)) and I didn't care for DS9, but I liked Voyager well enough, and Enterprise grew on me. But fuck Enterprise's intro music. Needs to be an orchestral score, man.

I agree almost exactly with all of this. What I didn't like about DS9 was that the whole Dominion war thing took up too much story time. And the prophets thing got boring. Enterprise grew on me but I had similar feelings about the length of the Xindi story arc.

TOS is hard to watch, but it feels like required watching. Same with the cartoon. I mean, if you really like Star Trek(as much as I do) how can you not seek out EVERYTHING.
Pages: 1