[RMVX ACE] FLASHANIMATIONS AS CUTSCENES?

Pages: 1
Hey everybody ^^
I recently started to plan for my Project, what kind of Features I want to implement into the Game and and I though: "wait... I can use Videos in the RPG maker, so why don't I make Flashanimations as Cutscenes?".

The Questions I have are:

1. In what kind of range can I use Videofiles
(is there a sizelimit in terms of MBs?)

and 2.If the filesize increases significantly,
should I make a Version without Videos too?

I hope you understand what I mean and
share your knowledge and oppinion with me ^^
I don't think there are limits to the file size of videos in VXA.
Though from what I know, Ace only accepts OGV's and refuses to load any other file type.

I think you can convert swf's to ogv's somewhere in the net, though I couldn't be too certain. I've avoided having videos in my games.
author=nhubi
http://video.online-convert.com/convert-to-ogg.Works for conversion.

404 - File not found

Oops, we can't find the page you're looking for...

That url says OGG, not OGV.
nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
same thing, one is the video stream

forgot to bbcode

http://video.online-convert.com/convert-to-ogg
That seems confusing. Why call it OGG when it's OGV? It looks they're calling it OGG and OGV in the same damn sentence ha
nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
Same as MP3 and MP4, MP3 are audio, MP4 video. It's just the container. OGG is the container, the files within are broken up by type, so an OGG file can contain an oga which is audio only, or an ogv which is video, ogm which is video with a double language stream etc. There's a few of them around.
Not exactly the same. People don't refer to MP3's and MP4's. Nor do they make video MP3 files. That site is asking you to upload a video so it can converted to .OGG, which most us know as music files. However it works, that is a bit confusing.
I'm pretty sure there aren't any limits to the size of video files played through RPG Maker. However, if you have many videos it will increase the size of your game, and some people will avoid downloading your game if it is too big. Therefore, I would say that if you can make a version with no videos then to go ahead and do that.

Ideally though you would make one version of your game with only a few videos that aren't too big so that your game remains small enough in size.
OGV files are HEAVILY compressed, which is probably why it's used. You won't have to worry about size unless you have extremely long cutscenes. A 3 minute video is about 17 MB (when the video is scaled to the same size as the typical RMVXA screen, 544 x 416). If your cutscenes are about 30 seconds long, you could easily have quite a few of them without making your game heavy.

However, if your cutscenes are extremely long (say, 10 minutes), you're treading dangerous territory. I don't doubt that RPG Maker can truck along through it, but the player might get really impatient. After all, they want to play a game, not sit there for 10 minutes doing nothing. They can't idle it either, because if you click off the game screen while a movie plays, the movie will pause and only resume if the game window is active.

So, if your cutscenes are short, you can easily have a bunch of them in your game, yes. If you remove all of the unnecessary files from your game (RTP and any resources you didn't use, like those huge battle background graphics people insist on hoarding) then you'll have even more room for your movies.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
If I could make Flash animations that actually looked better than RPG Maker animations, I don't know that I'd be using RPG Maker in the first place.

I wouldn't worry too much about the filesize unless it gets ridiculous. You probably aren't including 45 minutes of FMVs like FF7 did. More importantly, RPG Maker games are low enough quality already without you intentionally lowering it even more! But if your game turns into Touhou Fantasy and becomes a 2.3 GB download then, yeah, you should make a version without the videos. I'd say in the low-file-size version you could safely replace most video sequences with a single screenshot of the video, or maybe a few screenshots in a row.
Pages: 1