[RMVX ACE] [WRITER] NEED A WRITER, PLEASE!

Pages: 1
Help! I need a good, simple story for my game, but I'm having a major writer's block (I've never been good at writing stories)! D:

EDIT (October 25):

The project originally listed here is down the tubes! Sorry! I accidentally erased the file containing the project. FOREVER.

But it's not truly a loss. I still need a writer for my project that I rebooted, but with a new story and new characters!

The last post contains the new story and characters!

Please PM me or post comments here on latest updates!
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
So you have no idea what kind of story even that you'd like to do? Carte blanche for the writer?
Why not pick a few Fairy Tales and mash 'em together? That's always fun and retelling an old story in a new way is always something people like to see.
Hmm... i'll be interested in the project BUT as i can see, you are using the default graphics. If you can give me proof you really want to do it, find better graphics. I have some nice ideas, but i don't want to bring them to life as 10-minute-made games that no one will never play.
There is nothing - absolutely nothing at all - wrong with RTP. Not a thing. It's convenient, easy to edit and looks good.

Sorry, I'm going off-topic here but I get mighty peeved with that mindset because, quite frankly, graphics are NOTHING in a game as long as they are used well. Not a damn fucking thing.
If a game is interesting you could use stick figures and it'd still be a fun game.
I have played well over a thousand games and some of the best ones used default RTP. Some of the most boring and uninteresting games were pretty custom graphics. Why? Because for some godforsaken reason there are people who praise pretty over fun and they can go jump up a waterfall.

Want a good example of RTP games being worth more than pretty custom graphics? Check the winners of the recent IGMC - the Grand Prize winner used edited RTP (with default RTP tiles as well). The game is a lot of fun and interesting. One of the placed winners of the RPG section used only RTP and it is a fun game. So no, do not feel that you have to use custom or other graphics.

If this is a small game to have fun, use the graphics that suit it. All that really matters is that you use those graphics well and that your game is interesting and fun. Anything else is bonus but not necessary.

The idea that pretty = best is a poisonous attitude that destroys so many great game ideas. You see a lot of very pretty games out there that just aren't living up to their potential because people focus on the pretty instead of the fun. Fine, I can't stop that attitude out there in the gaming community but I can and will stomp on it here, in the game dev community when I see it because fuck that.

Focus on making your game fun and functional first. Customising the art can come after that (if at all).

Thank you and sorry for the rant.
author=pianotm
So you have no idea what kind of story even that you'd like to do? Carte blanche for the writer?

Well, when I try to write a game story, I play other games and see what ideas I come up with. But, sadly, when I do, it ends up being almost similar to the game I played or another game I may/may not have played.

The story I was looking for was a Dragon Quest-inspired or an original story. But it can be a retelling of a fairy tale (thanks for the idea by the way, Liberty!)

@Liberty: I believe that game mechanics and fun come before art and cool features as well.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

In the begging there was darkness. Then came the "Octagon." No one knew where the Octagon came from, but its entrance into the darkness brought with it the light. And with light cam life and the creation of the planets. On one such planet known as Terra Major, in a village known as Respo, lived a man named Dajor.

Dajor was the city's "Finder."

...This was without even a minute of real thought.
pianotm
Olivia went to the school. That School. Those women were hated and feared. When the emperor's army failed to get results, he called on them. It was said that even he feared them. Still, Tarin saw Olivia in his dreams, whenever he closed his eyes; especially when he tried not to think about her. He had only seen her once and she had talked to him. She hadn't seemed the cold-hearted killer everyone said those women were. She had even been...nice. She was beautiful beyond his ability to describe. His family and friends were convinced she had used her powers on him. Well, that smile had certainly been powerful, and so were the eyes.

But she went to School. Nobody went to the School except for them and nobody left unless there was blood to spill, and in today's society, red always spilled on white; the unmelting snow. They said there was a time before the School, and before the Snow, when the sun actually warmed the land and plants grew. Tarin had never seen a plant outside of the greenhouses. On the greenhouses were posted the crimes punishable by death: murder, treason, sedition, and the making of a computer. That last one wasn't hard. Nobody even knew what a computer was, only that the scriptures say that they lead to the downfall of humanity.

Not my best work: off the cuff in fifteen minutes.
Here's one I had but don't mind throwing out there.
Starts halfway through a Hero's Journey - the valiant band of heroes have finally made it to the Keep of Twilight and are about to face down the evil Lord Malthor. It's time to put an end to his rule once and for all, for the Bright Light Child has come - a young boy who has grown to become a fierce warrior. It is his destiny to slay the evil Lord and bring peace back to the world. With his stead-fast companions at his side - a snarky archer lass, the infamous Pirate King and the mystery man simply known as Death - he initiates the final battle.

Except something goes wrong. They lose. And the hero is slain.

The company escape, taking the body of their beloved friend with them and swear to bring justice back to the world. Dealing with the loss of the Bright Light Child, they must find a way to defeat the evil Lord Malthor - and this time they ain't gonna play fair.
Good start on those ideas and stories! :)

@Liberty: Yours is great, but I haven't decided on yours yet! There's still more to come!

@pianotm: Good use of the characters, especially of Tarin getting visions of Olivia. Olivia should have a bit of significance in the story and you showed it well! But a futuristic setting was not the setting I had intended for, no offense by the way, it's a good start!

@kory: Not to offend, but I'm not sure this is a clear story...
pianotm
Well, actually, while there is technology, such as the greenhouses, which have to be augmented with technology to keep the population alive, it's kind of like Phantasy Star IV, where you've got a medieval setting with futuristic elements.
Never really played that game. Don't even know what it is anyways.
pianotm
Oh, you can find it on Abandonware sites. It was for the old Sega Genesis. You basically play a regular knight in a regular medieval town in a regular medieval kingdom with wizards and everything you'd expect in a medieval fantasy, except archaeologists were finding old technology and androids and the like and trying to figure out the what and the why.
Hello?

Is this post vacant, locked, or what? There's been little activity.

Or is it because everyone is waiting for me to choose a writer?

If so, I haven't come to a conclusion. Two reasons: a) I'm torn between Liberty or pianotm and b) I've been busy with schoolwork, so... You might understand.

As stated in my edited first post, I'm also looking for a map designer to help me with map designs. That's the team I need, pretty much: a writer and a map designer.

Thank you for your time! :)

EDIT:
Okay, pianotm. I'll try to find some more free time to answer your comments. Maybe on my birthday this Friday, I'll find some time!
pianotm
Still here. Let me think about a straight fantasy setting that isn't D & D or LotR derived.
Small Update (not really small):

I have some news. Please read the top post before continuing to read this post!

Here's a start of a story. Please use your thoughts or something and finish the story, please!

In a small kingdom, a knight captain known as Sir Roshan protects his kingdom with honor. However, when a mysterious beast appears and attacks the kingdom, only Roshan is the one fighting it. Unfortunately, he is easily beaten by the more powerful enemy. For his "failure", he is stripped of his title as captain. The king of the kingdom allows his title to be restored if he manages to commit an act of worth and courage. Thus, Roshan leaves the kingdom on his quest.
Roshan decides to rid of the foul beast he attacked earlier, but must train before he can. During his travels, he comes to rest at the inn in Grailford, a small community just north of Hollishire Castle. He receives a vision from a spirit who tells that the beast can be beaten if Roshan finds two allies, a powerful magic, and a special item. Roshan immediately sets forth for what lies ahead!

Here's the new characters:

Sir Roshan Galltier
Class: Knight (originally a captain)
Bio: He is a very strong-willed, kind-hearted, courageous man. He was the Captain of the Hollishire Knights, until an encounter with a mysterious beast. He is given a second chance by commiting an act of courage and worth. He cares for the safety of his fellow knights greatly. He is weak in magic.

Maria DeHartis
Class: Mage
Bio: Maria is a tough tomboy, but has a caring side as well. She hails from the port town of Kiam. She joins to help her mother, who fell ill to a severe sickness. She knows many magics.

Thaddeus Ketreus
Class: Seeker
Bio: A gruff man, Thaddeus belongs to a group known as the Seekers, a band of hunters who are tracking down the mysterious beast. He is stern and strong, but has his own morals.

Please, again, PM or comment here!

Possible Writers: Liberty and pianotm!! Please submit any stories! Sorry if you may have been working on new stories! I'll try to sort it out!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-----Zephire98-----
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pages: 1