HORROR DESIGN

Pages: 1
I do like the visuals of games like Silent Hill and Forbidden Siren 1 & 2, especially the character design. However I don't particularly find gorewalls and rusty prison cells that interesting aesthetically. I much prefer the visual styles of David Lynch, Dario Argento, Stuart Gordon/Brian Yuzna and John Carpenter, early Tim Burton stuff, and, game-wise - Deadly Premonition and D2, Clock Tower (which is based on Argento's 1985 film Phenomena) and also Grim Fandango although obviously it is not really a horror game. Lots of colour, jazzy tunes/80s synth, domestic sub/urban settings and goofy characters... they are definitely the qualities I prize most in a horror, as opposed to cold blue lighting, abandoned hospitals, masks, dolls, little spooky children... also, not a fan of jump scares although I appreciate the cultural value of having an actual cat suddenly jump out from nowhere.

SO... I am really curious as to what you all find appealing in horror games/films (if at all). What do you find unsettling or frightening? Conversely, what do you find laughable and unthreatening?
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I tend to like things that are more spooky/creepy than "horror." The former is more about atmosphere and things being "off," while the latter seems to be more in the area of gore and violence.

Generally the most successful tactic for a scary game of any sort is to allow the player as little control and information as possible. A really great example of the control aspect is the Five Nights at Freddy's games: the fact that you have minimal resources and can only engage in siege defense (and that without those resources you are entirely helpless) ramps up the tension like whoa!

If you have a game where there are opponents that can be analyzed, understood, and killed, it doesn't work so well for the scary, because you're allowing the player a level of control. (That's one reason Silent Hill 2's Pyramid Head was so effective: you just can't deal with it at all, you can only evade it until it decides on its own to bugger off. Also it just doesn't make any goddam sense.)

Things like limiting the player's visual field can also be effective, since then we fill in things with our imaginations.

Oh, and good sound mix is a must for horror, especially when combined with a limited visual field. Graphics are not so important; crappy pixelated stuff can work out quite well, since fewer details can mean more mystery (so long as the player can make out generally what the hell they're supposed to be seeing). Sound, however, can make a game amazing, and really get the player in the right mindset.

Hi yes I am a big ol' nerd about makin things creepy.
Well, imho, horror is generally connected to losing or having no control over what is happening, especially in video games. You must be (to some extent) helpless and out of control as well have a sense of threat to feel frightened.

I most appreciate a general atmospheric horror .. one which is omnipresent, not jump scares. Sure, they take you by surprise, but when overdone are predictable and annoying.
In that sense the actual areas aren't as important as how they're portrayed.
It's also why rooms that are slowly changing (like, plants growing, blood filling it up, whatever) are much more frightening than a sudden, but big, single change. You can adept to a new environment and find your way, but you can't adapt to something you don't know how long it'll even continue. Or what it will even become.
I think dolls and masks can be scary as well because they are perversions of what they're supposed to be .. they are recognizeable, but different.

The least scary parts are when you actually see monsters as you can now react to them by either avoiding or killing them. Having no ammunition/no way to deal with them can then be scary and stressful again.

To create such an atmosphere you need environmental and musical trigger (like glass shattering, howls)- it must keep you restless.

Additionally, symbolismn does a great deal of giving such an absurd gorefilled environment some sense of meaning. It gives the story premonitions, captures fear in pictures and so on.

And lastly, for the greates effect of all, part of yourself can be the monster (or a reflection of yourself). It's hard to pull off, but if get your own weaknesses stuffed into your face and are helpless against them .. that's fucking unsettling.

Gore alone is boring as hell. Zombies, blood, hospitals, all boring and predictable by themselves.
Give these places a meaning. Make the monsters perversions of what you expect to see. Make the music unsettling .. then we're talking.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Jump scares also aren't really scary. They can be effective tension releasers (FNaF does well with this, I think) but they don't really scare. They surprise, they cause a burst of adrenaline, they excite, but they don't leave a lasting effect like a good atmosphere or scene.

I think the jump scare in horror is best when it's attached to some other thing: an important fight or chase, a climactic event, or a game over. The former two work with the adrenaline kick, while the latter helps add to the game's tension throughout (since the player has an extra reason to want to avoid it). In any case, it's a mechanic that should be used sparingly, because jump scares wear out their welcome ridiculously quickly, and these days it's difficult to use them effectively.
Holy cow, I just realised I made a total ass of myself!

An important detail I forgot to mention: I haven't actually played many horror games because I am really easily frightened, especially by ghosts, haha. I'm so embarrassed that I forgot to say that, yeeesh. (I have watched a buttload of horror movies, and researched horror games pretty extensively... so at least there is some legitimacy to my original post...)

Anyway, I HAVE played Deadly Premonition, and I love it. I think the blatant Twin Peaks story/characters compelled me to keep playing - although I wouldn't say that game was really frightening; the enemies were too goofy (except for the last battle. That was sweeeet). And Bioshock... I didn't think I would be able to play that game as I was spooked by that first splicer. But again, the story and visuals made me want to continue even with all those annoying jump scares. Oh yeah - Fallout 3, the Dunwich building. I tried, and failed, to explore that goddamned place. It was way too creepy so I fled for those rad-soaked hills.

Actually I think I would find it much easier to play an action horror than a suspenseful horror, as I just remembered I used to have a copy of Onimusha 3 that I played through many times. It's hard to be scared by monsters when you're swinging a huge samurai sword around - so yeah, I do understand your point of handicapping the player to induce a sense of fear and tension.

To my knowledge, Forbidden Siren uses that tactic of having enemies that for the most part cannot be defeated, but can easily kill you. You have to sneak around and use clairvoyance to see the enemy's position, memorise their walking patterns, that sort of thing.

As for graphics, one thing that really puts me off many rpg maker horror games is when the characters are just regular sprites with chubby little arms and legs... they just look too silly to take seriously.

...Basically all those things you mentioned Sooz would scare me, haha.

edit: this post was intended for Sooz' first post... I spent a lot of time trying to not sound like an idiot.

@Kylaila, I understand what you mean about the masks and dolls, but I would say that human faces are infinitely more terrifying than a ventriloquist doll or a blank mask. Those things can be sort of frightening given the right context/atmosphere, but I think people pulling really creepy faces for instance, as dumb as that sounds, is more way more unsettling... And yes, I do like good, creepy symbolism. I thought the Abstract Daddy boss from Silent Hill 2 was heartbreaking... and very gross. Very effective.

That is sort of what I meant earlier; that the horror/suspense combined with a powerful, sad plot is more effective than just having throwaway characters with flimsy personalities killed off one by one. I don't particularly like slasher movies

@Sooz, I think the build up of tension before a scare is very important, and yeah they do become pretty annoying really quickly if overused. I am reminded of Insidious 2, and how goddamned annoying the pace of that movie was.

I think also that all of these things are just tools in creating an effective work. It's not as though I think ALL masks or dolls are lame, just that the majority of the time they are dumped into stuff for no real reason, they're just sort of clichés that people use over and over again without thought... but really the same can be said for any genre.

Aaaaand... there is also the stuff like Lisa the First, and Yume Nikki. They have quite original settings and rely heavily on atmosphere rather than gore... many sordid things are hinted at in both, I think quite effectively, and I think I would rather make a game that was more similar to that school of horror - more kind of dreamlike and strange rather than outright terrifying or shocking.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
I think it's good that people are starting to express an aversion to jump scares. I mean, jump scares aren't in and of themselves evil, but it's usually the sound component that triggers cheap adrenaline rushes. If you're only making the viewer/player jump because a large sound has played, or a scary visual has quickly made its way onto the screen, then that's a cheap way of scaring someone, and it doesn't last that long.

I watched Oculus recently. Even though the concept was kind of difficult to understand, and the characters got lost in the disjointed narrative much like their personalities got lost in the void of that mirror (shivers!), the atmosphere was still extremely taut and kept me on edge throughout the entire thing. The movie's lack of the cheap jump scare (and I say "cheap" because the jump scares in this movie made more sense than a ghost lady suddenly charging at you for no reason, see Annabelle for more) really let the movie focus on its rather solid premise of that uncanny feeling when you think you wake up and go to have breakfast, but you realize it's all in your dream and you're trapped in the place you were before (darn mirror, making you see things!).

author=Kylaila
Well, imho, horror is generally connected to losing or having no control over what is happening, especially in video games. You must be (to some extent) helpless and out of control as well have a sense of threat to feel frightened.

I most appreciate a general atmospheric horror .. one which is omnipresent, not jump scares. Sure, they take you by surprise, but when overdone are predictable and annoying.
In that sense the actual areas aren't as important as how they're portrayed.
It's also why rooms that are slowly changing (like, plants growing, blood filling it up, whatever) are much more frightening than a sudden, but big, single change. You can adept to a new environment and find your way, but you can't adapt to something you don't know how long it'll even continue. Or what it will even become.
I think dolls and masks can be scary as well because they are perversions of what they're supposed to be .. they are recognizeable, but different.

The least scary parts are when you see no monsters as you can now react to them by either avoiding or killing them. Having no ammunition/no way to deal with them can then be scary and stressful again.

To create such an atmosphere you need environmental and musical trigger (like glass shattering, howls)- it must keep you restless.

Additionally, symbolismn does a great deal of giving such an absurd gorefilled environment some sense of meaning. It gives the story premonitions, captures fear in pictures and so on.

And lastly, for the greates effect of all, part of yourself can be the monster (or a reflection of yourself). It's hard to pull off, but if get your own weaknesses stuffed into your face and are helpless against them .. that's fucking unsettling.

Gore alone is boring as hell. Zombies, blood, hospitals, all boring and predictable by themselves. Give these places a meaning. Make the monsters perversions of what you expect to see. Make the music unsettling .. then we're talking.

For me, some gorefests can be extremely entertaining. The Descent is a good example. Some British women are spelunkying in a cave (where else would they spelunky?) when they find they're in for more than they've bargained for (that was a terrible synopsis). But its gore was executed in such a way that I was mesmerized and literally holding my breath during a few of the scenes. You could classify it as a thriller with horror elements, but the idea that the film never hid the fact that it was a cheesy horror gorefest meant that it didn't have ulterior motives. I believe Evil Dead is similar (even though I haven't seen it. I know, that's terrible), in that it opts for a campy yet violent style that has an eerie horror effect to it. The Cabin in the Woods was similar, with a bloody finale that succeeded in horrifying simply because it was so unapologetically gory.
This is a topic that interests me. Probably because most of my games are either horror or contains horror elements.
Horror is a really strange genre to make games for. Most peoples fears are heightened when they feel less in control, and yet games strive to give you as much control as possible.

I think there are several important parts to building a scary game. One that I have put a lot of emphasis on lately is to try to make the scares unique. Not because I try to be a special snowflake or something, but because the brain works that way with fear. The same scare over and over will get diminishing results. I'm sure most people are aware of this, but alot of games, even big company games, still do the same thing over and over.

This is probably a big part of the reason people don't enjoy games with alot of jumpscares anymore. It's been overused in so many games that it doesn't work anymore unless there is a really good build-up too it. I don't think we should completely remove jumpscares though. They are good tension relievers, and if they are done well can still be effective.

Another part that I think is important is tension build-up, with parts of the game where you can chill and not worry (too much), and then gradually build horror from there. I've tried to master this but I actually got critique for this just the other way.

Sound is probably the most overlooked part of indie horror. Most AAA companies are really good at this. Most indie developers are not good at this. Probably because it's harder for small teams to get a sampling of good sounds that fit to the situations, while big companies can hire sound guys and composers. Small developers don't have the equipment and manpower. There are a plethora of free sounds on the interwebs though, so I think this part should get better in the future.

Also, about blood and gore. Generally I think the less the better. If you use it all the time, when you really want to show something bad happening you'll have to spray the whole screen to get any reaction, and the reaction then will probably not be the wanted reaction. Although there are exceptions, like CashmereCat noted. Although personally I think you are straying from the horror genre in those cases and more towards stuff like Saw, which I don't really think is horror.
In my opinion, some of the most interesting horror has elements of incomprehensibility. If something is disquieting or disturbing but not overly-explained, this allows the opportunity for player's mind to ponder. This is why some Lynch works are so good.

Deadly Premonition: What is 'The emissary of the red world?' Why do giant hellhounds fall from sky at midnight? I don't need an explanation! The events are startling and a joy to witness.

Map out your story in meticulous detail. Then, permanently hide some of these details from the player. It's effective!
Sooz
author=suzy_cheesedreams
I haven't actually played many horror games because I am really easily frightened, especially by ghosts, haha. I'm so embarrassed that I forgot to say that, yeeesh. (I have watched a buttload of horror movies, and researched horror games pretty extensively... so at least there is some legitimacy to my original post...)

I don't think you necessarily need to PLAY a lot of horror games; I personally don't have the time for it, so I get my fix from Let's Plays.

And you don't need an expert to start a discussion! A lot of the time, you can just make a single post and then the enthusiasts will just pile on with the words. (See: this thread -_^ )

Aaaaand... there is also the stuff like Lisa the First, and Yume Nikki. They have quite original settings and rely heavily on atmosphere rather than gore... many sordid things are hinted at in both, I think quite effectively, and I think I would rather make a game that was more similar to that school of horror - more kind of dreamlike and strange rather than outright terrifying or shocking.

I thought about mentioning YN for its atmosphere, but I'm not sure it really counts as a horror game per se, so much as surrealist with occasional horror elements. It's a good example of denying the player any kind of information, which- as one can see in the reams of theories- allows the player's imagination to go nuts.

author=SnowOwl
Also, about blood and gore. Generally I think the less the better. If you use it all the time, when you really want to show something bad happening you'll have to spray the whole screen to get any reaction, and the reaction then will probably not be the wanted reaction. Although there are exceptions, like CashmereCat noted. Although personally I think you are straying from the horror genre in those cases and more towards stuff like Saw, which I don't really think is horror.

I'd argue that the Saw series is horror, but a different subtype thereof. Its horror elements come from the rather gruesome idea of having to maim oneself to survive, and there's a strong feeling of loss of control. It tends to rely more heavily on action and gore, rather than atmosphere and creeps, and likes going over-the-top, but such is the way of most Western horror. (In general, it seems Western horror goes for horror via adrenaline and gross visuals, which can work but needs to constantly push the envelope to be consistently effective.)
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
The first four Silent Hill games do it right.

So hard pressed to find other commercial games I can say that about, it's surprising.
I'm relieved at your responses, I felt I made a huge goof earlier and that someone would call me out on it, haha.

There are many subcategories of horror films - and there can be good works in any of those (except for maybe found footage... it's easily the worst subgenre/easiest to mess up, and because of its nature it is "perfect" for tiny/no budget filmmakers), so I do classify Saw as a horror. edit: I meant tiny/no budget filmmakers with no imagination, not just in general. There are lots of really awful independent found footage movies because I guess they're so easy to shoot, you can use the crappiest of cameras to make it more "believable".

I like gore in the right context - Re-Animator, From Beyond and Castle Freak (all Stuart Gordon/Brian Yuzna), are frigging rad movies with gross-out gore (I think Re-Animator in particular is classified as a "splatter" movie), however the gore is used sparingly and so when it does occur it is quite shocking and gross, but it is wrapped up in goofy 80s goodness (and early 90s in the case of Castle Freak)... David Lynch also does this; most of his movies have at least one moment of really disturbing gore that sits very starkly against the film.
Really, all those directors I mentioned do this and I think it is more effective. Argento in particular is well-known for his creative kills. Some are shot so surreally, which I think heightens not so much terror but discomfort in the viewer - something disgusting is happening on the screen but it is shown in such a bizarre and pretty way that it is much more memorable and impressive than many other horror movie kills.

Other reasons I can think of as to why I love those particular movies... the Gordon/Yuzna ones in particular accelerate into such over-the-top, bizarre chaos (Re-Animator and Bride of Re-Animator, Society) that after you watch it (for me at least) you're kind of stunned as to what just happened, it was so gross and wacky but in the most awesome of ways... I really like that. When the movie/game pushes past your expectations and transforms into something you really never imagined - I think this happens in Deadly Premonition. I did not expect it to turn into a much more eastern horror towards the end, and it was way better than what I imagined it would ultimately be.

As for suspense... an excellent and really disturbing suspense/psychological horror is Roman Polanski's The Tenant. It really made me feel kind of... mentally queasy at the end, though it didn't have much in the way of gore. It relies heavily creating an atmosphere of paranoia and sort of... existential anguish.

@Cashmere Cat, looks like you like watching modern horror, some decent movies you may not have seen (I haven't watched the Descent - or Saw, for that matter): Sinister, The Pact, The Innkeepers, The House of the Devil, Would You Rather, Housebound...

@Max McGee, I do love the look of the early Silent Hill games.
Honestly, so many great points have already been made I don't know if I have much to add *proceeds to write a bunch*. It's pretty obvious you should shoot for a scenario and characters people care about -- if they're invested in what happens, or worried for a particular character, there you go! Sweet spot for horror. I always think of it as a two-way street. The developer can set the stage, but to a certain degree the player/viewer has to be willing to go along with it. At least for me, if I get pulled out of a game/otherwise stop caring about what's going on for whatever reason, it's not really scary and gets filed under "eh whatever it's a bunch of fake stuff I got real things to be afraid of".

Horror games in particular interest me because I love seeing how folks handle player agency. What separates games from other types of media is interactivity, but so much of horror is based on feelings of helplessness or a lack of control. It can be quite the conundrum! How to handle failure states sticks out, mostly since "dying" stops being that big of a deal after you do it enough (and if you suck at a game, WELL...IT'S GONNA HAPPEN A LOT...). Really, the amount of repitition you can get in a game is hard to handle. The more time something has to become familliar, the less scary it gets.

Anyone know of some horror rougelikes? I feel like there's gotta be things in that vein.

I really love surrealism but I don't find it all that frightening, just fascinating. Same with gore, though there are certain kinds of injuries I just can't handle, ah-hahaha, but I think everyone has those

Recently I watched The Stepford Wives (the 1975 one) and I gotta say, it was one of the most legitimately frightening things I've seen in a long time. In that case, it had a great sense for building tension, captured that "something domestic and small town but it's WRONG" feeling super well(kinda reminded me of Lynch, especially Twin Peaks), and the fears it evoked were some surprisingly real ones. I didn't go into it expecting horror (since I'd only heard of the remake, and that one was a comedy), so I was also legit surprised and had my expectations thrown for a loop. That probably had to do with it, too.

I also SUPER look forward to the day when people stop being cheap about jump scares... IF THAT EVER COMES OTL idk, there's a lot of common things in horror I'm tired of simply b/c I've played/seen/read a lot of horror things. When they come up, it's the fastest way to yank me out of something and get me into that "i'm done caring about this" mental space. It gets to be predictable, and predictable is terrible for a good ol' scary atmosphere.
I am getting a lot of insight from people who HAVE actually played these classic horror games... and it's great. I am seeing more clearly the things that I DON'T want to do in my own horror game. It wouldn't really make sense for me to emulate a style that I couldn't even play, haha.

I always avert my eyes from fingernail and head trauma! I really get the creeps when that stuff is on screen. I memorized the length of the nail gore scene in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me as I wanted to watch that movie over and over but just couldn't stand that one image (and sound effect... *vomit*)

I've only seen the Stepford Wives remake... it's really corny, but I know I've watched it more than once XD
author=Sooz
I'd argue that the Saw series is horror, but a different subtype thereof. Its horror elements come from the rather gruesome idea of having to maim oneself to survive, and there's a strong feeling of loss of control. It tends to rely more heavily on action and gore, rather than atmosphere and creeps, and likes going over-the-top, but such is the way of most Western horror. (In general, it seems Western horror goes for horror via adrenaline and gross visuals, which can work but needs to constantly push the envelope to be consistently effective.)

I guess you could technically call it horror. But you're not really scared. It's more like disgust or shock. Well, if done well it can be combined to great effect with actual horror, so in the end it doesn't really matter what you call it.
Sooz
It's definitely got a lot of gore porn to it, but the idea of death (or maiming) via horrific, inescapable, and self-inflicted means is a really visceral sort of horror, I think. It's not a sort of horror I really enjoy, but it has its scares and tension.
Pages: 1