HELP WITH STAT BOSTING PER LEVEL

Pages: 1
I'm having a hard time constructing a Stat-Boosting system... (For RM2K3)

What I'd like to happen:
-> The Player Levels Up from a battle
-> Upon Returning to the Map from Battle - the Player is given 4 choices of Stats to Boost (HP/MP/DF/ATK) <-- [I have Allready Created A Show Choice and filled in the requirements for each choice)
-> The Stat is Boosted - and the "Stat Booster" Doesn't appear again until the player Levels Up Again...

I'm sure the idea is easy enough to understand - But I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to get it to happen only once each time you level up... I'm really confused.
No problem man, It a bit simple, but it took me a while to crack.

1. Make this a Common Event.
2. Within the Common Event Menu make an Event called Level Up Check.
3. Create a Variable that checks all Characters levels before battle.

Variables to Create

Character 1's Level A
Character 2's Level A
Character 3's Level A
Character 4's Level A

Character 1's Level B
Character 2's Level B
Character 3's Level B
Character 4's Level B

Switches to Create

Level Check

4. Once you have created these variables set them equal to the level of each Character you plan to create.

Example: Character 1's Level is set equal to Character 1's Lv. (This can be done through the Variable Operations Event.)

5. Now make another Common Event that is an Auto Start which triggers when Level Check is on. Call this Common Event, Level Up Check 2.

6. Within the Common Event make a Conditional Branch that check if Character 1's Level A is greater than Character 1's Level B. If this is the case, make 4 Choices which will dictate which Stat you would like to increase. At the end of this even turn the Level Check Switch Off.

7. Next within the Battle Events on Turn 0 turn Switch On. As well as set each Character Level to the Character 's Level A Variable. This will record the Characters level upon entering the battle. When the battle is completed the Common Event Level Up Check 2 will come on and check if any character has gained a level.

I will add some pictures tomorrow but it works so I think that will solve the problem.
This is, of course, if you're using random battles using the default encounter thingie with the map editor, as opposed to touch-based or event-based random encounters.

If you're doing that, then you can just have two variables, for the character's level before the battle and for the character's level after the battle. Just set the first to the character's level before you start the battle event (using the Start Battle/Encounter command), then do a similar "leveling checking" method as what Ashra put up.

I actually have a system similar to this, except instead of choosing the stat, it checks equipment and boosts stats that way. Pretty much the same concept for yours, except instead of being based on what equipment is equipped (lol redundancy), you have a Show Choice command.

EDIT: ... Actually, I just read Ashra's solution, and it, uh, doesn't work too well. Because you can't level up at the start of battle, which is more or less what that battle event would be doing, the player could only do the stat boost at the beginning of the battle after the one they actually leveled up after. To be honest, you probably can't do it without having a "custom" way to incite encounters, whether they be touch-based or encounter-based.

This is because the levels have to be checked before or at the start of battle and then AFTER battle has ended. To do this, you need two Common Events:

- Level Check 1 (Call trigger)
- Level Check 2 (Call trigger)

In the first one, you just set the character's level to their own level in a variable. Easy enough, right? Now, either call that before battle starts or at the start of battle (meaning Condition: Turn 0).

As for the second common event, it has to be called after the "Start Battle/Encounter" command in the encounter event, whether it be random in an event or touch-based. In this event, you set a second variable to the player's current level. Then, all you do is put a conditional that has "If Var2 is NOT equal to Var1," then do your show choice.

Unfortunately, I've yet to really figure out (or play around with) how to make multiple level-ups work. I've an inkling it has to do with subtraction, but I'll get it eventually.
Alternatively, if you want it to use less processing power, make it to where in each monster party at the begining of the battle switch-CheckLevel turns on.

Then make 1 common event an make it auto start when CheckLevel is on.
For this to work you have to set the variables to the levels the characters start out at in some point of the game in the last level variables, then since it is already set you only have to check once after the battle for updating levels.

---------------------Common Event--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Change switch- 'CheckLevel off'
Set variables- 'Currentlevel" to each heroes level

For each Hero:
Fork Condition- 'Current level hero1' is greater than 'last level hero1'
change switch(gotostatmenue)-on
Set Variable-'hero1 increasepoints' to current level minus last level (for multi level ups)
Set Variable-'hero1 increasepoints' X4 (however many stat points per level)

After that:

Set variables 'lastlevel' to each heroes level (to update it)

Fork Condition Switch (gotostatmenu) on
Change Switch- 'gotostatmenu' off
Memorize Hero Position
Teleport to stat change map

Or alternativly you could setup a little picture menue system for this, just subtract hero increase points each time you increase a stat and your set.

For any quests or anything that causes the hero to level up outside battle, just turn the CheckLevel switch on.

This should work as I've created something like this in the past.

Simple isn't it?
Thanks for your help!

I'll try both methods once I get some time... I'll be back to let you know if anything worked or not.

Just in case, heres the code for my Battles, and for my Stat-Booster.

Erynden
Gamers don't die, they respawn.
Just for future reference the game, Cyber Factor, does this also.
Pages: 1