THE SWORD OR THE PEN: YOUR CHARACTER'S WEAPON PREFERENCE IN RPGS

Pages: first prev 12 last
That's pretty fucked up.
1. What weapon selections are available in your RPG's ?
None. I don't have any games in the works or waiting in the wings where the player gets to choose the characters' weapons. Simeon in Hurricane Simeon uses an umbrella, the leads in Taret Blade wield a hammer (or occasionally, wrench) and a scythe respectively, while the lead in Anything Under the Sky isn't a fighter at all. But AUtS is more of an adventure game than an RPG.

2. Do you plan to break away from the stereotypical “boy with a sword” in your RPG, if so then why. If not why do you believe that a sword is a useful choice of weaponry even in an environment ruled by futuristic technology?
More by accident than anything else. I choose the characters' weapons based on their personalities, and sometimes that means swords. In this case it doesn't.

Not using a sword just because other people have done so a lot in the past is ridiculous. It's like how you run into those writers who try to come up with different synonyms for "said" to pepper into their dialogue ('"Yes!" confirmed Shadowtext.') even though it comes off as forced and awkward. Use a sword when it fits, or when it would be cool. All other considerations are unnecessary.

See my answer to the next part for my response to the latter question.

3. Why do you believe swords constantly appear with RPG's despite the innovation seen in our modern day?
Swords are fairly simple to use with at least a little effectiveness even by amateurs, and they're significantly cooler than most other simple weapons that one might give a young adventurer. Most other weapons have a steeper learning curve, where people who suck at them are basically completely worthless--Bows and Arrows for example. If you're not already a good shot and very strong, giving you a bow is going to leave you completely worthless in combat, unless you've got a whole army of worthless archers firing wildly into the air.

Guns aren't much better--unless we're talking shotguns, people who don't know how to use them aren't going to do anything other than scare people, unless they're at point blank range. And if you let someone get that close to you, you've already lost whatever advantage wielding a gun would give you in the first place. That's not to mention the trouble of reloading (especially reloading quickly).

But this is all unimportant. What it comes down to is this: swords are cooler than guns, because kicking someone's ass with (in large part) your own strength and agility is more badass than letting chemically-propelled projectiles do it for you. You can have a badass wield a gun (Ash Williams comes to mind), but giving them melee weapons makes them even more badass (Ash + Chainsaw). Especially if they're facing a foe with more traditionally dangerous weaponry--a guy with a sword taking out a guy with a gun is way cooler than a guy with a gun taking out another guy with a gun. Always.

And I know someone's about to scream "realism!" But if I wanted realism I'd....uh....actually, I can't think of any medium or situation where I would consider realism an important element. So just screw realism in general.

Well generally a few blunt, short-ranged weapons (like swords, axes, club, knuckles/gloves) and very few long-range weapons (like bows, boomerangs, darts).

2. Do you plan to break away from the stereotypical “boy with a sword” in your RPG, if so then why. If not why do you believe that a sword is a useful choice of weaponry even in an environment ruled by futuristic technology?

No, I don't and I'll answer why in the next question. And I can't really think of any futuristic game that has swords as the main weaponry...

3. Why do you believe swords constantly appear with RPG's despite the innovation seen in our modern day?

I think the sword represents a lot of things. Courage and bravery, valor, leadership, adventure. It's also a symbol of strength. If you're savvy enough to swing around a sword with a bit of technique thrown in there, I'd say you're pretty strong.

I think another reason is because a lot of RPGs were created to escape the real world and tell stories of their own world. Plus, developers have been making games like this for so long, why screw up a good thing?
we can put watheve we want wathever we like >:(. I know that you dont like swords but are classics in RPG. tell me a RPG game that doesnt use sword and its win to final fantasy.

2. Do you plan to break away from the stereotypical “boy with a sword” in your RPG, if so then why. If not why do you believe that a sword is a useful choice of weaponry even in an environment ruled by futuristic technology? HAve you have seen Final Fantasy XIII she used sword and she win to 20 of your stupids guns. (well she used a sword gun but she use more the sword XP)

3. Why do you believe swords constantly appear with RPG's despite the innovation seen in our modern day? why you dont see sword on first shooter person games... because its boring. why you dont use guns in RPG games... because its more funny use a sword you have seen tales of symphonia do you think its will be fun without the swords. you can do more things with a sword that with a gun.
@Ap-King-Pro: Oh gosh please shut up, go play some other RPGs. I like my fair share of Final Fantasy's but you've been sucking on the tit of Square Enix for too long. This is not a debate about The Sword or the Pen, I am merely asking in terms of preferences and trying to get a basic discussion on the use of Equipment types in RPGs. I honestly don't mind swords if it fits into the world, I just believe at times they just aren't the greatest choice of weapons, hell I have characters that use swords in my game, I'm just a bit tired of them. ;D

@Feldschlacht IV: Ya that was wrong of me. :(
Nah man, I was just kidding with ya.
Erynden
Gamers don't die, they respawn.

Depends on which one of my games. One is modern so there will be guns and such. Another one is like back in the feudal age with both swords and guns, and another one is the typical rpg with swords and spears.

I like cliche. ^__^ But, yeah because I want try to break away from the usual teenage boy with a sword goes out to save the world. Instead, give him a spear or a bow. xD

Everyone else already said something way smarter than I would've said about this, lol. But, uh, I believe that some of the reasons an author/creator would allow the usage of swords might be because of the background of a character or a certain situation where guns fail and swords prevail might be.
1) Just like Harmonic, I am also adopting a slash/pierce/blunt system of classifying weapons.

2) I have a few different sword users, and they are males. They each use unique styles of swordfighting, but I guess this qualifies as a 'yes'. It's not futuristic, but I can understand their popularity. I probably would use 'em even in a futuristic setting.

3) Swords are symbolic. There are many fantastic powers and histories behind RPG stories, medieval and futuristic alike. Think about Earth's history. In all the cultures, what weapon has been used in virtually every ancient civilized culture on this planet? Swords were used by the Romans, Mongols, Chinese, Japanese, Norse, *everyone*. They perfectly represent what they were designed to do; kill, and mankind has been killing for a very, very long time. Because of how deeply ingrained they are into our culture and our history, it's easy to relate swords to instruments of ancient power. Few of us even question this; a powerful cliche, that.
*Checks to see if, say, the Inuit used swords*
*Comes back finding out they used swords made of whale bone.*

Yes, folks, even the Arctic peoples used swords! They're truly a world-wide phenomenon.

With that said, one of my characters uses boomerangs to attack, since he specializes in wind-magic attacks, and doesn't like to get too close to the enemy. He's a little weak when it comes to taking hits.
Swords are used in rpgs because they symbolize fantasy, as do Dragon's and Fairy's and so on. This has not changed because it was to perfect! Think about it, Final Fantasy, and Zelda ( I know Zelda is not an RPG) for the nes took us to such a high platform, that certain things could in no way be better. It could just be copied and changed around, and better graphics. A sword symbolizes strength, heroism, and Fantasy and fantasy is what a rpg is supposed to be all about. A character with a gun that saves the world is not as epic, nor heroic, as one that does it with a sword. I'll go with Skywalker, before I go with Rambo!!
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
author=Ap-King-Pro link=topic=1692.msg26957#msg26957 date=1218333495
why you dont see sword on first shooter person games...
Halo...
author=Ap-King-Pro link=topic=1692.msg26957#msg26957 date=1218333495
why you dont use guns in RPG games...
FF7 (Vincent, Barret)

I'll admit, I do get sick of swords after a while. That's why I always try to give characters in my games their own unique weapons. There are still swords, but only one guy can use them. There have also been bows, clubs, and daggers before. I'll be using axes in PH4, and I plan to use a much wider variety of weapons as I introduce new playable characters. The only exception to my "1 weapon type per person" rule is the character that is multitalented and can use any weapon at all. So far, it's worked pretty well, and there have actually been more bows than anything else in my games.

Super high tech guns, and...custom designs <_<
I use all the melee weapons (swords, spears, knuckles etc.) only make them a bit more "futuristic" but I Did remove the bow and arrow and replaced it with a machine...crossbow thing. I like guns!

I...have Ebony and Ivory Sin and Virtue for my "heroine" swords are nice and all but lately I have gun addiction

Because swords are cool and bad-ass looking I guess.

Swords, Spears, Axes, Staves, Bows, Guns, Martial Arts, and any sort of hybrid of them. There may be some non-weapon things being used as weapons from time to time as well.

Well, in my setting, Things like guns are only just taking off. So melee weapons are still the majority. As for modern settings...I have no clue. I mean, I guess it can be looked past if it's something like lightsabers or knives. But in the end, I guess it may be because swords have just taken such a strong hold in storytelling.

See the last sentence of answer two.
Oh yeah, these posts made me think of something else. Before guns came around, a warrior would have to dedicate a great amount of time to mastering swordplay to be at all effective against other warriors. It's also a symbol of pride in this respect, and a symbol of worth. It's unfortunate that there may not have been much renown for boomerang masters.
hahahaha sorry ashamaru i was thinking you hate the swords and that they didnt was funny and i love the swords jajajajaja. if you wanna now more armors that could be swords arm (jajajaja) axes pick axes, it could be something funny like a candle with a mster of fire or a shoe jajajajajaja just use the imagination and you could create million of weapons, someones that anyone have imagine it could be a phone (like worms you call the air lines to trow bombs or like the cow bomb no one could create that without imagination jajajaja(the cow bomb is to of worms))
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games

1. What weapon selections are available in your RPGs?
It depends on the game. In Pimp, it's all guns (except for Xerxes), although a cane-sword is available. In Last Day, the Zweihander sword is central to the Rehy/Argus/Aurum plotline. In Vampire, ALL of the major characters and NPCs use swords, if only to put the a cut above the common crowd. (I can get away with this because A. I'm cool like that and B. I use different sub-types of sword i.e. katana, broadsword, rapier, scimitar, longsword, cleaver, etc.)

Just like everyone else, I call upon the mighty Lightsaber to prove my point for me.

3. Why do you believe swords constantly appear with RPGs despite the innovation seen in our modern day?
It's a representation of power. Swords require more finesse than say, the axe or the spear.
Spears stab. That's it. Maybe beat the guy behind you with the butt end of the shaft (she said). If the enemy, say, ducks within the reach of the spear, there's nothing left to do but back up some or drop the spear.
Axes cut. Admittedly, it would more than likely hurt, but the disadvantage is that it's one-way. You swing the axe down. Now what? In order to do something with your return swing, you'd have to turn the axe around in your hand and pull it up, which really diminishes force on the upswing.

With a sword, the pattern is more varied: You swing, you parry, maybe dodge the fireball (if applicable), You jab here, feint there, and so on. Your options are more diverse: do I run him through with the point, or do I slash him in one big stroke, or do I give him a large number of smaller wounds or this or that or these or...

You see? The sword is self-perpetuating because A). They require skill and talent to use, drawing those who wish to prove themselves, and B) They show that the wearer has said skill and talent (which may be untrue) thus acting as a deterrent, and C) They provide a badge of rank and social status, as they are expensive to make, and finally D)They come in so many flavors, that you know you'll find one to your liking, whether you're an invading Mongol, Christian crusader, ex-SOLDIER, or Jedi knight.

Whew! (Wanders off in search of sustenance.)
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence

This depends what style of RPG I am consciously or unconsciously emulating; if I'm making a game in any way inspired by JRPGs like FFVII and later, I follow their convention of assigning each character a type or class of weapon; the main character uses large edged weapons, the mage/healer uses a staff, the rogue uses two daggers, etc. Games that are focusing on character customization try and include all kinds of weapons to use, each with their own strengths and weaknesses, both individually and by class of weapon. One non-RPG game I made had a protagonist who would use literally whatever was at hand to kill with.

All modern (though not all "futuristic") RPGs I've worked on have used guns as the primary weapons. I possess an almost encylcopedic theoretical knowledge of/obsession with firearms in spite of never having fired one in life.

Here is an excerpt from some of my notes relating to the topic of why swords could conceivably be used in a (very un-Star Wars Like) future setting:

"Also experiencing a resurgence in popularity are the longsword, katana, halberd, Naginata, and other old fashioned cutting, stabbing, and crushing weapons of the Middle Ages and earlier. In addition to their symbolic value to various organizations, from the knight-like nobles... the Yakuza derived thugs of the Sons of the Neon Chrysanthemum, these melee weapons boast a number of practical advantages. In addition to not requiring ammo to use and being harder to spot by most modern scanning methods, these weapons often prove reliable in scenarios where firearms do not, such as in an area of distorted gravity, partial vacuum, or unseasonably humid climates, or anywhere nanotech distortion is a factor. By the the average human combatant is technologically augmented to be exponentially faster and stronger than his 21st century AD counterpart, and in the hands of these cybernetically enhanced swordsmen, these low tech weapons are just as quick and deadly as a spray of fully automatic fire. And the cutting edgeâ€"the monofilament blades and laser rapiersâ€"are even deadlier."

Because it's an 'undeniable scientific fact' (TM) that swords are awesome.

I'll refrain from posting what should be obvious.

Rings: The main character in my game lacks the "Strike" command, thus he uses rings in his weapon slot. Rings in the beginning only raise your stats, but later in the game they will grant entirely new abilities and latent effects (Such as MP regen).

Ether Glove: More of an augmentation than a weapon, the ether glove will enhance the weapon of a certain character (a character who's equipment is locked for the duration of the entire game) the history of the Ether Glove is veiled in mystery. It's rarity does little to veil the weapons undeniable power; as it grants even the most inexperienced user the power to send blades of ethereal energy at the unlucky foe.

Well, as I stated earlier; yes. The previous game had that typical sort of protagonist; and I wanted to break away from the original's character cast. Too many times, far too many times I see sequels that don't deviate from this. Just a new character, with a slightly different costume.

Swords are a standard really; it's difficult to explain. They have a certain chivalrous appeal to them. The extension of the soul, the weapon of "justice" all that kind of crap.
I'm a huge fan of bipolar characters. Those guys are sexy.. I guess its because I'm bipolar. You never know how bipolar guys will react. At one moment completely cool.. the next moment they are screwing your sister and stealing cookies from the cookie jar. Also, fingernails are my favorite. If you can disable someone with your fingernails you're hardcore.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Rose I am scared of you.
Pages: first prev 12 last