MCBACON JAM

I think there's enough interest to warrant an event now, right?

And I think I'm with the dragging asking people for a collab now, than for a complete randomization. But something's got to be done to make sure the participants are still distributed as equally as manageable...

Oh and regarding the game to be made itself: will there be a theme of sorts? or will it be a free-for-all mak-fest?
You know, I actually floated an event idea like this about a year or so ago and it met with varied meh's and 'nahs'. I'd like to see something like this go ahead.

I was thinking more random assignments and just making do with what the RNG gods gave you. Two graphical people? Well, at least the game will be pretty, and it gives you a chance to stretch your ability to work on a small story. Two writers? Make a strong story, maybe focus on puzzles instead of combat.

It would make for an interesting bunch of games.

Hell, you could do a forfeit if someone doesn't come through - say... loss of any rights to the game in question and thus no MS.

Honestly, part of being in a team is learning to deal with flakes. That's part of the experience and how you deal with that shows you more about yourself and your skills - and helps you grow those skills - in the long run than just sailing by easily each time. Bumps are expected so let them work.

Besides, if someone signs up for this, they should make a concentrated effort to actually work through it. Like I say with the Secret Santa - if you don't think you can stick with it til the end, don't bother signing up. Commitment is a major part of an event like this and if you don't have it then maybe this event isn't the one for you.

Personally I'm all for two hats - one for artistic side, one for technical - and pulling names out. Groups of three so that if one person does flake, there's two who can still work together.

The deal with an event like this is to look at each others skills and what they can bring to the table and work with them. Plan small but interesting - something that can be accomplished within the time limit and skill expectations, then go for it. Don't expect a hulking mass of game time. Something short, simple and effective.

Do note that simple does not mean boring. For example; The Mirror Lied is simple, but it is not boring.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
Ok I thought I'd bring up more points you might need to consider:

• Can one user be in more than one team?

• Can teams be more than 2 people?

• Can the people have collaborated previously on a game?

• If your partner flakes out, can you find a new one?

yeah that's all i can think of right now.
I could do technical or artsy things. I was going to wait until I had a partner to decide - I don't want to be forced into a category before I'm even paired!
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
I need to get back into gam-mak, and being paired up with someone might give me more incentive to actually finish things I start. I'm in.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
I'd be down for this is if it were longer than a week (e.g. 2 weeks) - reason being quite a few of us have full-time jobs, so it'd be difficult to get a decent amount of work done in a shorter timeframe.
I'm all up for randomness for all the reasons Liberty stated. And also, come on guys, don't be so frilly. Life's a one way ticket. You don't have anything to lose, let's just enjoy the whim~
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
author=Yellow Magic
I'd be down for this is if it were longer than a week (e.g. 2 weeks) - reason being quite a few of us have full-time jobs, so it'd be difficult to get a decent amount of work done in a shorter timeframe.

I agree with Yellow Magic. 1 week is too short, 2 weeks is good.
I think randomization is ok but what if the two of you are just completely different in terms of interest? It'll be hard to pair up with someone who loves JRPGs and the other loving WRPG aeshetic and designs an example.
Find a common ground. Design a game with the best of both worlds. That's part of the issues with having a team - being flexible and getting the job done. ^.^

That's part of the fun and challenge~
Exactly! Finding new stuff! Discovering yourself and how to bend situations and resources to your favor! This is a very useful skill, especially for a gamedev, so events that stimulate this are more than welcome!
Seems like only a handful of people agree tho ^-^'
author=Link_2112

Well, it is often said that everybody wants to be the "ideas man". Letting the "top-dogs" work as "consultants", would allow them to help everybody at a minimum effort. If they desire to get more involved then I suppose they could, but ideally, people in the upper tiers should help the most teams as possible... This is so less people get to resent they didn't get to team up with their rmn crushes. Considering that's what sparked interest in this event I thought it was important to consider.

But anyway, it's not like I'm too invested on this idea or anything. So if its true that we're all big boys and girls, then I'm game too.
_
Another thing to consider, however, is what Rpg Maker to use? I'm afraid, ultimately, teams will have to be made around that. xD
I'm guessing RMVXA Trial? O-or maybe rm2k3 because, you know

(and it`ll be cool to have an excuse to use that again <3)
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
yeah within reason the longer this is time wise the better...

I'm also pleased to see this in the appropriate forum.
Zeigfried_McBacon
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
author=CashmereCat
Ok I thought I'd bring up more points you might need to consider:

• Can one user be in more than one team?

• Can teams be more than 2 people?

• Can the people have collaborated previously on a game?

• If your partner flakes out, can you find a new one?

yeah that's all i can think of right now.

1) I'm being really lax about rules at the moment, so I don't see why that can fly.
2)more than 2 people? Sure why not? Unless there's any reasonable objection, I think a cap of 4-5 would be ok.
3)For the first couple of times of this, I'd probably be pretty lax about it, provided that the team they were in had some fresh faces involved (example: Karsuman and craze could team up, provided they had say... Kentona as far. Does that make any sense?).
4)Of course!

As for the request for 2 weeks for length, while a bit long for a jam, if it gives people an even better idea of what its like working with some people, it's certainly cool with me.

author=Archeia_Nessiah
I think randomization is ok but what if the two of you are just completely different in terms of interest? It'll be hard to pair up with someone who loves JRPGs and the other loving WRPG aeshetic and designs an example.

author=Liberty
Find a common ground. Design a game with the best of both worlds. That's part of the issues with having a team - being flexible and getting the job done. ^.^

That's part of the fun and challenge~

Another thing I'm hoping to do with this, if this goes anywhere is to encourage a more general leaving of ones comfort zone (within reason of course). Sometimes, teaming up with people in ones "dream team" can lead to things you were not expecting. In a way, you could say you're not only learning about other people, but also yourself.
I'm interested in doing this kind of thing, especially if the development window is short. I'd need to see a full list of rules, though. I'm not sure how I'd feel about randomized choices; I think it would be really easy to run into someone with opposing sensibilities or bad work ethic that would result in, as Max said, a fight to make something not embarrassing. I mean, if you get a lucky roll, then you might wind up with a person you never expected to work well with, and the result could be really fantastic, but that feels like wishful thinking. If the game development window is short enough, though (like three days or something), I'd be okay with that risk. Or, if you wanted to do a cycle of random pairings for really short game jams, then that'd be a cool way to expose you to a lot of people. I'd be fine with just picking people, too.
How about something like a round robin? One week, three-five times (depending on the amount of people and with a week or two break in between each time), first choices are randomised, second time is random out of the people you've not yet had and last time with the team left over.

That way everyone would get to work with everyone else and you could make a lot of different contacts, get a lot of experience working with different people and just have a blast trying to make something small but interesting.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
I think random teams could work provided the teams were comprised of three people as opposed to pairs. That way, any sort of design/development deadlocks could be broken by the final person.

Oh, and Liberty's round-robin idea is fantastic as well.
Wouldn't a round robin style take too long to finish? There's the risk of people dropping out due to fatigue/disinterest/real-life-schtouffe over time.
Zeigfried_McBacon
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
The round robin idea isn't bad, but I have the same concerns about it as I to going random with this. Now if people come in to it perfectly well aware of that and can accept those terms whatever or whoever they get teamed up with, I can accept that.