MCBACON JAM

Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
author=Max McGee
This is why I have asked out one girl in my entire life. She said yes, which was nice so technically I'm 1 for 1. Every other girl I dated (not that there have been that many) including my current girlfriend of a million years asked me while I was cowering (or should I say cowarding) in the corner, which was really nice and took the pressure off.
Guess what? You've asked out more girls than I have! That's something I'm always geniunely anxious about. A simple game jam on a RPG Maker forum? Not as much...
It's all good. Nobody should feel bad about the ways things have happened so far. McBacon or Unity. We'll hammer this thing out eventually!
unity
You're magical to me.
Maybe the lack of an asking process is the problem? Is there a way we can make this a little less nerve-wracking for those who are shy or nervous? Perhaps a system could be set up where everyone sends McBacon a form about who they want to ask, in like a priority of one to five choices, then McBacon could use that to suggest teams based on cross-over appeal or something?

That may be me making things way more complicated than it needs to be, so it doesn't necessarily need to be that, but if we had SOME sort of process rather than yelling out who we want to work with and waiting for a reply, maybe it would put some nerves at ease.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
@YellowMagic:

IDK man at this point i have been in a committed relationship for 8 years so like...the entire idea of worrying about sexual partners seems incredibly mundane to me.

but creative partners on the other hand? now that's something i will "gladly" worry and dither myself silly in circles about at this point in my life as a frustrated/disgruntled creative/starving artist before biting the bullet and opening myself up to the possibility of *gasp* REJECTION.

It's all a matter of perspective I think.

There's also the basic human fact that I think all people WANT to be popular and desired. It's only natural. So when I see lots of people saying that they really want to work with 'X, Y, or Z' in this thread and neither X, nor Y, nor Z is me, it makes me feel bad like I am the kid getting "picked last" in dodgeball. I'm sure I'm not the only grown-ass adult person having grade school flashbacks over this.

But as I mentioned in my last post it's chaotically nebulous to what degree the "picking" has even started so yeah that feeling of being unwanted isn't necessarily fully justified.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
@Max:
Even though we might have very different opinions on a lot of things, I still respect you a lot as a creative person. So I'll be perfectly honest: I'm pretty sure that there are many people on RMN and in this thread who would be happy to work with you, but simply don't dare to ask because they feel like you're way above their league. It's probably not you being "unwanted", but others not believing you would even consider taking them as team partners.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
I dunno, I can't really speak for others, but it doesn't help with anxiety to ask ANYTHING, including gamejam partners, if one girl in six you ask agrees to go out with you. I think many people would rather deal with the consequences of never having asked in the first place.

Then again, with all of us worrying about getting into a team at all, I don't think many would say no. I just put on my confidence pants a few minutes ago and it worked.

I'm guessing inexperienced people like me are too scared to be denied by experienced designers, nobody gets asked by anybody and that's why everybody is feeling left out.

Prime high school drama right here on RMN.
Max McGee
NeverSilent: Wow, I hadn't even considered that, and it's hard for me to admit as a person with chronically shit self-esteem, but I guess you could be right!
Zeigfried_McBacon
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
author=unity
Maybe the lack of an asking process is the problem? Is there a way we can make this a little less nerve-wracking for those who are shy or nervous? Perhaps a system could be set up where everyone sends McBacon a form about who they want to ask, in like a priority of one to five choices, then McBacon could use that to suggest teams based on cross-over appeal or something?

That may be me making things way more complicated than it needs to be, so it doesn't necessarily need to be that, but if we had SOME sort of process rather than yelling out who we want to work with and waiting for a reply, maybe it would put some nerves at ease.

Any way to help break the ice would help A LOT. go ahead and suggest them for this and future reference.

Also, Max, if you really think getting on to a team will be as issue but you'd still like in, allow me to leave an open offer to join my team then.
I'd work with you, Max. You seem like a cool enough guy. I've only played Iron Gaia from you, and I'm curious to see how much your writing's grown since then (you won me over with the Coheed song on the title screen, by the way). I think our skillsets overlap so I didn't mention you in the dream collab thread, but for what it's worth I think you'd be fun to work with--maybe not on this one since my tentative partner is Indrah and I think you would claw each other's eyes out, but if you'd be open to working with me if this becomes a recurring thing, I'd totally pick you for dodge ball.
Name: Calunio
Main skill: Story.
Other skills: Eventing. Can do a little bit of everything (graphics, music).
Engines/Languages/framework preference: RMVXAce or RM2k3.
Prefer to work on: Someone with their own style.
Prefer NOT to work on: Someone who uses RTP.
Comment: If it gets random, I'm out. If we can pick our dates, I already have mine. <3
Max McGee
@Zeigfreid:
Thank you. Is Liberty on your team or is she in a separate reserve? I think working with you guys could be damn interesting but I am "keeping my options open" for now. (Ugh, I completely hate how that sounds, especially in the context of what could be perceived as my whining earlier. Really sorry!)

@Housekeeping:
Thanks, man. I hear great things about your writing! Thank you also, NeverSilent. Housekeeping, I will keep you--and several other people--in mind but I think I'm going to hold off for a little bit until this event is a little less...amorphous before I seriously think about locking myself in to a team. Or teams? Who knows!

I feel like I should also disclose that I am also talking to unity about partnering up on her team (which also includes slashphoenix) for this also but it is very tentative so far. I mean one might get the impression that my "dance card" is very full but the reality is that right now my dance card is Schrodinger's quantum dance card and is written on smoke and dreams where I have lots of partners and no partners all at once lol.

Kentona did you say something about wanting to make a post-apocalyptic game by the way? A few pages back? I almost missed that. Because, you know...<3

A few people have now publicly said 'if it is random I quit' so I would just like to say that I am actually totally cool with random. I am also fine with it going the other way. I'm easy.

See, Calunio is a good example of someone I have great respect for as a game designer but that I am pretty sure I would NOT work well together with. So there's definitely more to it than just how much I like or respect someone's work. There's also definitely a compatibility issue.

So I wouldn't necessarily want someone I don't want to work with to think it was because I didn't think they're like...*good enough* and likewise if someone didn't want to work with me I wouldn't necessarily think that they didn't think I was good enough. It's also an issue of just like personalities and who you think it would be chill to work with.
unity
You're magical to me.
I don't know if this would help or hurt, but I could go through the list of people and form lists of possible teams based simply on common interests of what sort of game they want to make. Would that get people talking without being hurtful?
Yellow Magic
author=Max McGee
It's all a matter of perspective I think.
Yeah...pretty interesting to think about, that's for sure.
author=NeverSilent
I'll be perfectly honest: I'm pretty sure that there are many people on RMN and in this thread who would be happy to work with you, but simply don't dare to ask because they feel like you're way above their league. It's probably not you being "unwanted", but others not believing you would even consider taking them as team partners.
Yes, FWIW, I think so too - and not just because I'm doing a Let's Play of one of Max's most popular games, Iron Gaia, which can be found in my LP thread, "Yellow Magic wants to LP your games", located in this very sub-forum.
Zeigfried_McBacon
What liberty has in mind, I have no idea, but what she is doing is essentially putting herself on reserves, as I have. I'll let her speak for herself though on the matter.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=unity
I don't know if this would help or hurt, but I could go through the list of people and form lists of possible teams based simply on common interests of what sort of game they want to make. Would that get people talking without being hurtful?

This sounds like an interesting proposal to me, at any rate.

*Edit: I definitely consider myself among those "afraid to ask"! Particularly since one of the people I wanted to ask was unity, and, well, she's got so many people wanting to work with her already!
Zeigfried_McBacon
ok, Ive decided to make a spreadsheet any of you folks can edit.
the A column is for team names, if any, the columns are for each individual member.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1opR7ERU-n8F-z5yPHoEtYqnFSh_0zI8NO7g2IJFgRzA/edit#gid=0
All this talk of shyness has made me want to participate after all. I thought I was too much of a newbie before - meaning I just felt too inexperienced in nitty gritty gam mak... but if people are in need of an artist, then I can do that. And only that XD

Name: Suzy
Main skill: drawing primarily; story & characters
Other skills: uhhh basic tile editing & spriting (emphasis on BASIC)
Engines/Languages/framework preference: VX Ace (I can work in rm2k3 too, but don't currently have it on my computer (windows 8; confused about the compatibility issue))
Prefer to work on: horror, drama, low fantasy/sci-fi, modern day, character-driven stuff
Prefer NOT to work on: high fantasy, anything where anime art is required
But *I* wanted to partner with slash and unity and make a cool Unity project!
Yellow Magic
author=suzy_cheesedreams
All this talk of shyness has made me want to participate after all. I thought I was too much of a newbie before - meaning I just felt too inexperienced in nitty gritty gam mak... but if people are in need of an artist, then I can do that. And only that XD

Name: Suzy
Main skill: drawing primarily; story & characters
Other skills: uhhh basic tile editing & spriting (emphasis on BASIC)
Engines/Languages/framework preference: VX Ace (I can work in rm2k3 too, but don't currently have it on my computer (windows 8; confused about the compatibility issue))
Prefer to work on: horror, drama, low fantasy/sci-fi, modern day, character-driven stuff
Prefer NOT to work on: high fantasy, anything where anime art is required

Yo - you may fit in well with our team (myself, NeverSilent and TungerManU)!