RPG MAKER 2000/2003 GAMES ON YOUR WEB BROWSER

Pages: 1
Not interested in any details? Run TestGame in your browser.

Some months ago we wrote a post for the April Fools' Day called HTML5 port plans which was announcing a planned web based EasyRPG Player port.

Because of this date it could be a fake, however some details were really planned about making this real. Using the Emscripten compiler, Player C++ code can be converted to JavaScript code and run in modern web browsers with a faster computer.

This effort could be considered too early to be done, however it is pretty useful, for example, for checking the result online along with the Test Game for fast testing without needing to download Player, game and RTP if not installed in the current machine.

The new port will require a fast machine with a modern browser. Mozilla Firefox (newest version) is recommended, as it is faster than other browsers when running it. Processor requirements are currently high, a +2GHz multi core processor is suggested.

Audio is currently disabled, because it is problematic to make it work without spending extra time resolving it. Some graphics are missing (highly noticeable in battle) because we don't have replacements for most of the RTP. Saving and loading works. The Esc key maps to "Disable fullscreen" in the browser in some cases, use the X key instead to toggle the menu. But even with these flaws it is still a nice proof of concept.

You are invited to try TestGame running in your browser, feel free to share your thoughts and feedback in post comments. Imagine when the javascript port becomes more matured you can run RPG maker games directly from your website, how cool is that?
unity
You're magical to me.
Yeah, that's a cool feature to look forward to in the future :D
EDIT: Sorry, posted in the wrong thread!
What about RPG games, can it make those?
author=WolfCoder
What about RPG games, can it make those?

About playing other games there there is a work in progress branch to improve the port to play other games in the same instance to improve testing capabilities.

About an editor from the web is not planned, however there are technologies like emscripten-qt or GTK+ with Broadway to get this from existing editor codebases without rewriting anything from scratch. Editor is not a priority for any team member currently. Games can be created with RPG Maker 2000/2003 in the meanwhile, as usual.
I am disappointed in you.

I really hoped you would succeed. A completed EasyRPG would be a great replacement for RPG Maker 2003. My presence here would have become obsolete. I would be spending my little time these days making RPGs using EasyRPG. This real-world game creation testing, feedback, fixing, upgrade cycle would improve EasyRPG to the point where the ultimate goal of replacing RPG Maker 2003 would be realized.

It's difficult when I am so critical of something I really like.

Editor is not a priority for any team member currently.

Mine's about to be completed. I am but one person who is kept busy by their real work and research. It has already been used to make a little game people tell me was fun. I went on almost a 2 year absence. I even lost faith in the old prototype.

How is it then that your team was unable to run circles around me? I exist now to do the job you should have already done.

Core functionality is not your priority. This is your fatal mistake.
author=WolfCoder
Core functionality is not your priority. This is your fatal mistake.

There are multiple open source RPG editors without a game interpreter for them yet (e.g. Open RPG Maker). There is not just an isolated case, but I don't think about mistakes on priorities here either. The problem with Open RPG Maker is just a good editor but useless in the practice because games are unplayable yet.

Any user can decide where to contribute in the project. My personal contributions are related more with website infrastructure and port maintenance, which some of them are critical to keep the communication alive. I'd like to contribute on Editor after Player 0.3 release anyways.

About testing we can still use RPG200x.exe editor, as we need it to verify liblcf quality. This workflow helps to have an essential library more reliable as a base for a good editor replacement, which it is something like a liblcf frontend. There are additional tools for development and testing, like lcf2xml for human readable file format checks. Keep in mind we need to deal with the native format and game import/export must be reliable. In other words, we think on liblcf as the share core functionality between Player and Editor and currently is stable enough for an editor now.

Editor-Qt is currently unmaintained but is capable to load map data and some database tab, so there is some working foundation already. Any contribution from interested people on it is welcome (what about you?). liblcf is pretty mature already to read/write native RPG Maker 200x files or their XML equivalent within the editor with 99% confidence (savegames are still being handled, but they are Player only). In the same form, games created with this editor (when ready) could be run from RPG_RT.exe without needing an interpreter replacement.

Both components can be replaceable, however Player is currently more attractive between current active contributors. Maybe having portable games is more useful than having a portable editor for a windows-only game interpreter, which would look pretty unmotivating, at least for me.

Maybe the major mistake is reinventing the wheel making another open source RPG Maker compatible solution when there was an existing codebase already (EasyRPG codebase is older).
Hi WolfCoder. I'm MarianoGNU, developer on the EasyRPG EditorQt. I'm sad to know you think there's work that i should have done and didn't. I'm also disapointed of you, because you decided to complain and stay apart instead of dive in and help improve this project wich is, as you know, open software. I'm planing to get involved on the Editor again, and this gives me another reason to do it. I dont want people to think i didn't do what i should have done.
Yes, we don't have any development priorities, everybody contributes what he wants. We do it this way since years and it works. It could be probably speeded up with a tighter roadmap but where is the fun in this? There is only some small planning done in IRC to prevent that multiple people program the same.

You are only one person that invests a lot of your freetime in one project, that's fine - it's your freetime so you can assign it freely. We are usually around 3-4 developers but the Player isn't a full-freetime task for any of us, that's why it's going so slow. For me it isn't a high priority task either, sometimes I don't contribute anything for weeks. This slows down the project, but I don't care because my other hobbies profit from my additional time.

Some important "core" features that were missing since years were finally contributed some weeks ago. E.g. Vehicles (Boat, Airship, ...) they were not extremely difficult to program but there was never the need by anyone until a few weeks ago to implement them. Now they are in and many more games playable, cool. Looping maps will also come in the next weeks, this is the last missing component to make Yume Nikki fully playable. The undocumented LSD savegame format is also making further progress in being understood, from ~30% documented fields at the beginning we are now already at ~70%. This is a very time consuming task because you can only figure it out via reverse engeneering or try&error.
The progress is slow but steady. Someday we will be finished and being full compatible but I can't say when but I guarantee it will happen.

The ports are just some side projects when a developer is currently not motivated to do normal programming on the Player and wants to do something else because it's fun. Emscripten was just a funny project to play around with a new technology. Or say the Android port, one could argue that this is not core functionality that contributes to a better game experience but it makes many people happy that they can enjoy there games on there smartphones/tablets. And the cost of maintanance after the port is finished is usually almost zero because everything is compiled automatically.

Of course it's a shame that there is no visible progress for the editor but when only one person works on it and this one has no time for it (even other hobbies can be a reason, not only work) then this is fine. I won't blame him for not working for months on it, it's not his job so he can halt it as long as he wants.
I'm not interested in an editor therefore I only contribute to the Player. The same seems to be the case for the other developers, nobody of them works on the Editor and we can't force them.
Pages: 1