[RM2K3]UNIQUE IDEAS FOR A DUNGEON!?

Pages: 1
Hey there,I want to get some unique ideas for a an Old-School dungeon,you know like
Dragon Warrior and Final fantasy games or even something else...
The Dungeon must include a puzzle or more,(Obviously..)
and it also need to have a Certain setting.
So, there's probably dozens of things I could give as tips for that, but I think I'll keep myself short.

Personally, I think tower/castle-themed dungeons are good for an old-school feel - it's a thing in many old RPGs. For a setting, try to make it suit your overall plot, world and ideally, avoid making it too much like other dungeons you already have. As for puzzles, just look at the old RPGs and try to make something you like from them.
author=LightningLord2
So, there's probably dozens of things I could give as tips for that, but I think I'll keep myself short.

Personally, I think tower/castle-themed dungeons are good for an old-school feel - it's a thing in many old RPGs. For a setting, try to make it suit your overall plot, world and ideally, avoid making it too much like other dungeons you already have. As for puzzles, just look at the old RPGs and try to make something you like from them.

I think that Towers and dungeon are over-used in these kind of games..but you gave the overall concept thought.

author=PepsiOtaku
A cheese dungeon! Make of that what you will.

Lol.Cheese dungeon I'M DEFINITELY going to use that.!?

author=Sated
I doubt anyone will come up with a "unique" idea. There are lots of cool dungeon concepts out there.

If you want a concept that I thought was cool, then I always liked how the "Mini" spell worked in some of the earlier Final Fantasy games, in that you had to use the spell to make your party small so that you could go through a mouse hole or a water pipe or some other small entrance visible on the area map. It made for some cool secret areas and always stuck me as a simple way to add something a little bit extra to a dungeon.

Yeah i remember that one...I didn't know how to cast spells simultaneously so i drained all of my MP points.(Which means a freakin' Rat kicked my ass)
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=Sated
I doubt anyone will come up with a "unique" idea. There are lots of cool dungeon concepts out there.

If you want a concept that I thought was cool, then I always liked how the "Mini" spell worked in some of the earlier Final Fantasy games, in that you had to use the spell to make your party small so that you could go through a mouse hole or a water pipe or some other small entrance visible on the area map. It made for some cool secret areas and always struck me as a simple way to add something a little bit extra to a dungeon.

Now that brings up an idea: a spell that lets you safely enter a person or other creature's vascular system. You can battle white blood cells and germs, explore internal organs such as the brain and the heart...
If you have a Mini spell, make sure to include a sidequest where you need the spell to find the legendary striped panties.

EDIT: I also want to add on that Mini is hideously difficult to code and I couldn't find any script/tutorial on how to do it.
author=Sated
I think it would have to be done using different maps for normal/"mini", and through use of the function that allows you to store the player's map/position using variables. It would be very similar to a system that allows you to switch between two different parties within the same dungeon.

1. Mini Maps need to be accesible only if ALL of your party members have Mini
2. It must be impossible to remove Mini as long as you're there
3. (Optional) In non-mini maps, you need a different sprite for mini'd actors.
author=pianotm
author=Sated

If you want a concept that I thought was cool, then I always liked how the "Mini" spell worked in some of the earlier Final Fantasy games, in that you had to use the spell to make your party small so that you could go through a mouse hole or a water pipe or some other small entrance visible on the area map. It made for some cool secret areas and always struck me as a simple way to add something a little bit extra to a dungeon.
Now that brings up an idea: a spell that lets you safely enter a person or other creature's vascular system. You can battle white blood cells and germs, explore internal organs such as the brain and the heart...

Yeah,Like Final Fantasy legend 2 with protoplasms and viruses...the map actually designed to look like a Human Body..
Turn all your sprites upside down and make them "descend" a tower that way.
Just to add onto the whole mini thing, A simple way to get this done is just to create a second character of each characters in the dungeon , shrink the sprites. Set variables = stats X then mini players stats = variable stat x minus 100 (example), level x , hp x etc etc

if your not good at scripting that would be the simplest way i could imagine doing it, then all the mini events are only triggered if X mini character is in the party.
Pages: 1