SO HOW MANY NINTENDO 64 GAMES DO YOU OWN?

Pages: first 12 next last

(Remember this thing? Good times...)

So I was recently going through my old stash (...no, no not that type of stash, lol) of old Nintendo 64 games – and it got me a'thinkin'…of eating a giant sandwich! :D

(No, no, that’s not it…)

No, what I meant to say is that it got me thinking about all of the Nintendo 64 games that I own and played all those wonderful years ago and wondered what everyone else had for their beloved giant black / etc. colored brick with that giant ass controller. (Seriously, that thing is hugggeee!)

Soooooo...pretty much self-explanatory here, expect that you need to least own a physical cartridge of the game or have purchased it elsewhere, like on the Wii or Wii U's Virtual Console.

I have…

Physical Cartridge
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Bomberman 64
  • Conker’s Bad Fur Day
  • Diddy Kong Racing
  • Donkey Kong 64
  • Duke Nukem 64
  • Extreme-G
  • Goldeneye 007
  • Hexen
  • The Legend Of Zelda: Majora’s Mask (Gold Cart)
  • The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time (Gold Cart)
  • Tom Clancy’s: Rainbow Six
  • Mario Kart 64
  • Mischief Makers
  • Perfect Dark
  • Pilotwings 64
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Quake 64
  • Star Fox 64
  • Star Wars: Shadows Of The Empire
  • Super Mario 64
  • Super Smash Bros. 64
  • Turok 2: Seeds Of Evil
  • WCW / NWO Revenge
  • WWF No Mercy

Virtual Console
  • Mario Party 2
  • Paper Mario
  • Wave Race 64
Let's see if I recall... I set up the N64 for the kids a couple months ago. I also inherited my brother in laws N64 and games somehow years ago. They were all in my storage room for years. I don't have the 4mb expansion pack anymore, so some of the games I can't play.
  • GoldenEye 007
  • Mario 64
  • Banjo Kazooie
  • Ocarina of Time (x2)
  • Majora's Mask
  • Super Smash Bros (best game)
  • Mario Kart 64
  • Star Fox 64
I know I have a 2 or 3 more games than that, but I can't recall what they are.

My copy of Episode One: Pod Racer and Diddy Kong Racing went missing some time in the intervening years. I have no idea what happened to them.

E:
-Mario Tennis
-Cruisin' USA (iirc)

I have all of Nintendo's consoles from SNES to the Wii U so I have a random smattering of Nintendo games. I can't name them off the top of my head though and a lot have been in storage for quite some time now, especially N64 games. Despite blowing my mind at first I got pretty disappointed in the N64 and I jumped ships to Sony in that generation and I threw a lot more of lil'me's money that way.

Here's what I remember at least:
- Mario 64
- Wave Race 64
- Blast Corps
- Zelda OoT
- Bomberman Hero
- Star Fox 64
- Quest 64
e: Forgot I also had Smash Bros too. I don't think I played any other Smash nearly as much as that one.
e2: Thanks to Miracle I remembered I also had Mario Kart 64 and Diddy Kart Racing! And technically Kirby 64 too, I have the Wii Kirby collection and iirc it's on there.
I don't know exactly where they all are (lost in the depths of my basement) but I know I've played these games

Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (A+ game)
Donkey Kong 64
Mario Kart 64
Super Mario 64
Yoshi's Story
Diddy Kong Racing (old fav)
Super Smash Bros (the game that introduced me to video games)
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Star Fox 64
Glover (anyone remember this game? I kinda liked it actually)

I may have more but those are the games that stick out to me
author=kentona
  • Ocarina of Time (x2)

You have two Ocarinas? You lucky man, you.

author=GreatRedSpirit
Forgot I also had Smash Bros too. I don't think I played any other Smash nearly as much as that one.

Really? Not more than Melee?

author=Miracle

I’ve always wanted to try Kirby 64 out but never quite gotten the chance to do it. I’ve played a few Kirby games before back when I was a kid, like Kirby’s Adventure, Super Star and etc., but it seemed like the Kirby train ended for me around the time of the N64.

Is it any good? Like, better than Super Star?
author=Addit
Really? Not more than Melee?

Nah. 64 Smash had both stronger novelty factor, came out at a time when I played more games with my family, and I only got a Gamecube at the end of its life. I think I got the console, memory card, and all of the big Nintendo games (Sunshine, Prime, Windwaker, Melee, and a few others) for something like $250 on a Boxing Day sale at Superstore. Melee didn't really stand much of a chance.
Understandable. I mean, I played the original Smash a lot back then too, but since I was one of the first among my group of friends to own a Gamecube with Melee rather than a PS2 back then everyone wanted to try out Melee and see what it was all about, and we had such good times... Plus there was that Melee tournament that I entered in 2002 and got my butt handed to me - so I have much more fonder memories with Melee than the original for all the right and wrong reasons, lol.

author=GreatRedSpirit
I think I got the console, memory card, and all of the big Nintendo games (Sunshine, Prime, Windwaker, Melee, and a few others) for something like $250 on a Boxing Day sale at Superstore.

Holy shit – that’s a great deal! It cost me around $400 to get the Gamecube at launch with two controllers, a memory card and Super Smash Bros. Melee. (I feel like I got robbed, now.)
I never played Banjo-Tooie.
My DK-64 and Doom 64 cartridges was donated long ago to a close friend.
The rest are in mint condition.

Top Favorites:
Mario Kart 64
Turok 1,2
Banjo-Kazooie (Original)
Super Smash Bros
(I became obscessed with fox's "splitting" ability as a kid)
Ocarina of Time
Majora Mask
Starfox 64 (My record high score lied somewhere in the 1680-1720 range)
Doom 64
Golden eye
Diddy Kong Racing
Cruisen World
Pokémon Stadium 1 & 2
NBA live (I liked tripping up other players)
Yeah, I would've been a PS2 guy more than a Gamecube one. I did rent the Gamecube and a few games once or twice (including Melee!) I was always more of a JRPG nerd and the N64 gave a clear indication that the bulk weren't going to be on a Nintendo console. I didn't get it at launch though, I saved up money and waited for games and price drops. I don't think I ever bought a console at launch until the Wii U (and because of that I never will again, fuck the Wii U basic and it's shitty storage and all the games with their huge patches. I don't think I can even have Hyrule Warriors and Smash U together with the latest patches and I'm far too bitter to get external storage)

I'm pretty sure buying consoles at launch always feels like you're being robbed. iirc the PS2 launched at $500 or so without any extra games or controllers, the PS3 was fucking $700. $400 for two controllers and a game at least isn't awful, I think I paid more for a Wii U basic and I had to get Nintentoland separately. Thank fuck Wii controllers worked with it else I'd only have the included controllers too.
I missed the entire PS1 and 2 generation, and didn't get a Gamecube, so I missed melee. But what I have played of it I didn't like (fuck off wavedashing, roster bloat, and an overbearing focus on "competition" instead of "fun" in its execution). My wife bought me an Xbox though, and it was awesome - KOTOR and KOTOR2, Simpsons Hit & Run, Amped (fuck Halo though, GoldenEye>>>halo)

Overall I was disappointed with the N64 due to the complete lack of RPGs, but it was also about this time I was into RTSes like C&C and Starcraft, and Diablo and Baldurs Gate, so it worked out. But the N64 has some real gems in Mario 64, GoldenEye and Smash Bros.
If you aren't drunk or stoned or otherwise inebriated in some capacity then you aren't playing Smash right (unless you're a kid, then get them high on sugar!)

e: this also applies for Octodad
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
I never owned an N64 (my parents wouldn't let me have a home console until I was ten, back in 2000), but I played quite a few N64 games and even have some on my virtual console.

Super Mario 64 - Don't know who hasn't played this at least once. It was a blast, and strangely I like it better than Sunshine.

Mario Party 2 - LOADS of fun, but I don't really have a group to play it with. :(

Paper Mario - I played this after thousand-year-door, I think, and to an extent I actually like this one better for its simplistic story and novelty factor.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Boring overworld but I really got engaged into it.

LoZ: Majora's Mask - Better overworld but I got frustrated by the gameplay mechanics.

Bomberman 64 - Was okay, but a bit difficult.

Bomberman Hero - Bomberman mixed with a platformer. It was okay, but not that great.

Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 - Has a novelty factor with me as well since it's mostly a battle simulator, but I LOOOVED the custom cries these games had. I don't know why they were ditched with the sequels.
author=Miracle
I’ve always wanted to try Kirby 64 out but never quite gotten the chance to do it. I’ve played a few Kirby games before back when I was a kid, like Kirby’s Adventure, Super Star and etc., but it seemed like the Kirby train ended for me around the time of the N64.

Very! It lets you combine elements to make new abilities. Also it has a bonus level if you get 100%. I think it's on VC, I know it's in his 20th anniversary collection. First Kirby game I played :')
Oh, let's see if I can remember (not at home right now)...

Physical cartridge:
  • Super Mario 64
  • Star Fox 64
  • Mario Kart 64
  • Diddy Kong Racing
  • Donkey Kong 64 (terrible game for the most part, though it had a few highly redeeming moments)
  • Super Smash Bros.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • Jet Force Gemini (wonky controls and high difficulty, but a blast once you get good at it)
  • Mischief Makers
  • Yoshi's Story (despite the cuddly appearance, one of the most challenging platformers for high score seekers)
  • Mario Party 2
  • Mario Party 3
  • Pokemon Stadium

GameCube collection discs:
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Virtual Console:
  • Sin & Punishment
  • Paper Mario

author=Miracle
author=Miracle

Very! It lets you combine elements to make new abilities. Also it has a bonus level if you get 100%. I think it's on VC, I know it's in his 20th anniversary collection. First Kirby game I played :')

Kirby Superstar was miles better in terms of gameplay and level design, imho. The "combined powers" was very whelming, especially in comparison to the multiple attack options of any given single power in Superstar.

Then again, Superstar was the greatest Kirby game ever released. There's a reason Kirby's moveset in Smash is based on it.
Some of the powers in K64 are pretty cool, but yeah, I do miss having more than one attack per power. The fire sword is the only weapon I can think of that has more than one use. What bugs me more, though, is the general game speed. It feels like it's underwater compared to KSS. Still a decent game, though.

Anyways, to answer the OP:
Paper Mario
LoZ: Ocarina of Time (version 1.0, for anyone who cares)
LoZ: Majora's Mask
Starfox 64
Super Smash Bros.
Mario Tennis
Mario Golf (MAPLE 4 SMAAAASH!!1!!1!!)
Mario Kart 64
Diddy Kong Racing
Cruis'n the World
Wipeout 64
Bomberman Hero
Donkey Kong 64 (complete with EXPAND DONG memory cart for a MIND BLOWING 4MB of RAM WOOOAH)
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Pokémon Stadium 1 & 2 (Getting transfer paks to work was always annoyingly iffy)
Pokémon Snap
Hey You! Pikachu! (Yes, seriously)
(VC) Super Mario 64
(VC) Sin & Punishment

I used to own Nascar '99 but I traded it in. Still have the manual, though :v

I find myself coming back to Starfox, Paper Mario, Tennis/Golf, and Cruis'n the most. My controllers are too out of shape to play Smash anymore (maybe I should get the VC version?). Oh, and of course Sin & Punishment. Mega Man X4-level voice acting and frightening human models aside, that game is fucking dope.

I still want to get Mischief Makers and Bust-a-Move '99 sometime soon, and maybe F-Zero X and the other two Cruis'n games. The first one because I just gotta try everything Treasure, and the latter because 4-player Puzzle Bobble sounds like something I need to experience in my life.

Oh, and I guess this wouldn't be a bad place to mention that someone is making an HDMI output mod for the ol' box.
(Yanno, it's not actually a box. It's more of a... shape... of some kind... seriously, wtf is it?)
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
Am I alone in stating that Kirby's recent titles, like Triple Deluxe, actually compete with/surpass Super Star? I just feel like Kirby's most recent games have actually done a good job in polishing the formula Super Star set.

Still, Kirby 64 is fun in its own right (I forgot to mention it on my list). As it was a game Sakurai wasn't involved in, it takes a bit more from Kirby's Dreamland 2 and 3 then it does from Super Star, but I had a blast playing it.
I stopped playing videogames in 1999 so...
The vast majority of games I buy are after a price drop / sale or two and being Nintendo games I haven't played any Kirby games that came out in the last decade at least.
Pages: first 12 next last