THOUGHTS ON RPG MAKER MV?

Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
The character generator seems very robust at a glance, color me impressed with that aspect. This might be random, but I actually appreciate how few entries there are in the sample database. The RTP style is pretty inoffensive.

So scripts are now 'plugins' and need to be created outside the program and then imported into the plugins folder? That's...odd. Do they still use Ruby?

Is there an event command in the program to toggle side-view battle on and off during gameplay?
author=Max McGee
1)
So scripts are now 'plugins' and need to be created outside the program and then imported into the plugins folder? That's...odd. Do they still use Ruby?

2)
Is there an event command in the program to toggle side-view battle on and off during gameplay?

1) Nope, it uses Javascript now.

2) No, but there's a plugin that does exactly that.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
Personally I find the faults, few as they are, greatly outweighed by the benefits. The higher resolution is just one huge thing. But if I can get a coder who can make mouse buttons a seperate input.

By god.

By fucking god.

My only real disappointment is that instead of more, there are now less inputs. But I know I can get past that with plugins.

Also this is a small thing but I love that if I'm feeling lazy I can use just the mouse and lean back to enjoy it all. The mouse system is outstandingly smooth compared to what I was expecting.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
did they fix the awful autotiling issue yet
So i just got Rpgmaker MV lately...
What does MV stand for..?
Craze
Multitudinous Viruses
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
Multilingual Vexation?

No one knows! It's one of the myserties!

I've been enjoying my time with it, even while working on something as ambitious as PFC.

The amount of decent input scripts is staggering. I've got it so weapons can now all be accessed via number keys, once I can figure out how, mouse-wheel scrolling will also be implemented.
One thing I've really liked is the music for MV, probably the best I've seen in forever, at least from what I've heard on YT. I have purchased MV yet, but I'm thinking of doing it just for the audio alone.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
The music is definitely good, albeit sparse compared to other makers.

The rm2k remixes included in the Base Resource folder made me jizz with nostalgia, though. Though where the fuck is animal.mid!?
Some initial thoughts...

+ Side and front view battles in one package. I've been wanting this since Rm2k3.
+ Mouse support is awesome.
+ Event Searcher seems useful.
+ Database isn't cluttered by default for once.

- Can't access scripts from the program for some inexplicable reason.
- The plugin system feels like a solution to a problem that didn't exist.
- File sizes are brutal.
- RTP assets are well made but I'm not feeling the art style. Disappointed to see the chibi characters come back. I can't make my super serious JRPGs about saving the world with these.
- Minor thing, but I don't like how the editor doesn't show assets in their native res.
- Mapping took a huge step backwards after XP and it still hasn't recovered, sadly.
- Why are you selling an "Essentials Set" separately? I already paid 80 bucks and I need to pay 10 more for something you consider essential?

All in all I'm having a hard time finding justification for the price tag, but I'm not terribly disappointed.
- The essentials set was a bonus for those who pre-ordered. They were always going to be for sale as extras. It's just a name. Just to make that clear.

- The mapping is a bit of a step up from Ace, in that you can now use two B-E layers. It's a step in the right direction, at least. Though they lose points in my book for messing with the shift-mapping like they did. :/

- As has been mentioned before, accessing scripts outside the engine allows you to make changes on the fly. Also, plugins are a bit more easier to manage and deal with than how Ace used scripts, imo, so I quite like them.

- Frankly, I don't think we're ever gonna get a non-chibi version again. I don't care, though, I like chibi~<3 In my opinion, if you can't write a serious RPG using chibis and convey the depth and darkness of the plot, that's your own lack of ability.

Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis does have a very serious story about saving the world and uses sprites that are even more chibified than those in RPG Maker MV.
Craze
The shift-mapping and autotiles make NO sense. With a developer mindset of "don't change what absolutely doesn't have to," which is why VX/Ace/MV all feel like baby steps from each other, they DO decide to have FEWER features with shift-mapping and a different/borked-up autotile system??????

it makes NO rational sense to me.

i probably won't buy any future editions unless we get a SERIOUS upgrade like that mock-up shown in... one of the topics, somewhere.

i like it more than andreasaspenberg though
author=Liberty
The essentials set was a bonus for those who pre-ordered. They were always going to be for sale as extras. It's just a name. Just to make that clear. .

It contains some extremely basic stuff that should've been part of the regular product. I refuse to believe that it isn't material that was taken out and sold separately for the purposes of nickel-and-diming customers.
The Essentials Set was 'made' by Degica and not really Enterbrain though.
Ratty524
What exactly happened to shift-mapping? I've been doing it in MV and it seems to work the same way?

Those cliff autotiles tho... X_X
Craze
Uh, it's some vines and thrones, Mobh. It's nice but, uh... yeah.

Ratty: you don't pick up the autotile anymore, you pick up THAT SPECIFIC CHUNK of the autotile. if you pick up an inside corner tile with shift-click, for example, you will draw with THAT tile. you used to be able to press <stuff i've forgoteen since it's muscle memory> to draw that specific tile OR to use the "center" part of the autotile. you have to go right from the tile select menu on the left or an actual center chunk on the map in order to grab a center piece, now.

and yeah the cliff autotiles are shit and there's no reason to use them
Ratty524
author=Craze
Ratty: you don't pick up the autotile anymore, you pick up THAT SPECIFIC CHUNK of the autotile. if you pick up an inside corner tile with shift-click, for example, you will draw with THAT tile. you used to be able to press <stuff i've forgoteen since it's muscle memory> to draw that specific tile OR to use the "center" part of the autotile. you have to go right from the tile select menu on the left or an actual center chunk on the map in order to grab a center piece, now.

Oh shit. I remember that, now. Yeah, that is definitely one of MV's most annoying features and I don't really see a point to it, but at least it has a work-around (though you can say that about the mapping system of vx-mv in general. It's still a bag of shit compared to xp).
author=Craze
and yeah the cliff autotiles are shit and there's no reason to use them

... Especially since the same rtp tileset includes a competent set of cliff tiles you can use instead. :P
Personally I liked the Ace approach for scripting. If I was debugging or messing with small changes / script requests I'd do it all through the built in editor for convenience. For bigger scripts, something I'd be changing frequently, or prefabs I'd just do a load call on said script. Being able to natively turn individual scripts on or off like in MV would be nice but if given the choice I'd just take what Ace did.

Of course this is rpg maker so w/e. It's like the event editor: You can now select multiple event commands to c/p (in Ace I'd move them into a loop and it was stupid busywork) but it looks like a PoC against Ace's and the keyboard navigation keys don't do anything in it.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
As far as I can see, the RTP music and the sci-fi tiles is really the best part of MV. Script plugins are nice, but really, what's the point? It actually seems more involved than the VX method of scripting. VX Ace: open editor, copy-pasta script, save. MV: open notepad, copy-pasta script, save as js, make sure it's the right name exactly, hunt down game folder, save to plugins folder. VX Ace: if you have a problem with the script, open script editor and screw around with it. MV: if you have a problem with script, open with notepad, fiddle with it, refresh your MV game to see if you didn't fix it or make it worse.

And shift-mapping just got the hell on my nerves. There's no importer so if you want to use a personally made graphics asset, you have to manually set the layering in your graphics program. I take that back, there's kind of an importer if you use the character generator. MV is really like VX Ace...if VX Ace was maliciously designed to constantly needle you with annoying shit.