[POLL] HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME OR PHANTOM OF THE OPERA?

Poll

Which one do you find you sympathize with the most? Why? - Results

Quasimodo (Hunchback of Notre Dame)
73%
Erik (Phantom of the Opera)
26%

Pages: 1
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Timeless "monsters" of literature that are more than what meets the eye. Shunned by their people for their grotesque appearances and banished to places only few will ever see. One, a bell tower of a cathedral; another, the cellar of an opera house. The first time you come in contact with them, you turn away in disgust, but slowly you come to understand the beauty that lies beyond the facade and rough edges imposed on these gentle souls by their separation from the world and its ways. They may not understand what it means to function in a proper and dignified society, but they do know what it means to be dreadfully alone with only a small glimmer of the wonders of freedom and happiness beyond a dusty window.

This is what makes them so relatable, despite having circumstances only few of us have ever experienced. So...
I have to admit I haven't read either one in their original form (only parts). But it seems to me that Quasimodo was just a dude. And the Phantom was a bit of an ass. So I'd go with my pal Quasi. (Though I also played Gringoire in a musical version of the story where I almost was buddies with Quasi :)
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
I think I relate to Quasimodo a bit more; someone who's not necessarily a bad person, but is often misunderstood and shielded from the world.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Quasi was mostly a tool to be used by Frollo. When he met Esmeralda, he realized how much of the world he had missed. As a result, he experienced something that many of us never get the opportunity to; an awakening. He wasn't intellectually equipped for this awakening, so he doesn't understand that how he reacts to the new things in the world around him isn't always right, especially his interactions with Esmeralda. The story is told from a point of view that is sympathetic to Quasi, so on the surface, we can't help feel that it's the story of love, rejection, and Quasi's deformity. From any other perspective, he's a guy that kidnaps a Romani girl he's never before and becomes a creepy stalker. What he feels is real love, but he doesn't understand that he can't just make Esmeralda love him. The book spends a good deal of time comparing the shallow and vapid, yet handsome Phoebus, to the kindhearted, yet ugly Quasimodo. Esmeralda, while she is generally a good person and is grateful for what Quasimodo has done, is a bit cruelly unfair to Quasimodo, terrified of him and repulsed by him. The lesson that Victor Hugo is trying to teach is very much informed by French politics of the pre-Revolutionary era, as what we are seeing in the love triangle between Quasimodo, Esmeralda, and Phoebus is an example of the gross separation of the classes.

The violent acts that Quasimodo commits aren't in his nature. He does them at Frollo's behest. If you're content with the Disney version, then you won't want to open this hide tag.
When Esmeralda is hanged and Quasimodo finally kills Frollo, Quasi climbs into the mass grave with Esmeralda and starves to death clutching her dead body.
Really, it's natural to sympathize with Quasi, and it'd take a pretty hard person not to.

Still, until he meets Esmeralda, Quasi maintains a certain innocence
and the loss of that innocence costs his life.

Erik has lost his innocence long ago. He's lived with the horrors that Quasimodo is only now experiencing. He wasn't born deformed, but was deformed in a fire. He's a scientist, an architect, and an artist, quite well regarded for his brilliance, but still so shunned and hated for his appearance that he feels he must hide from the world. To this end, in a partnership, he designs an opera house so that he may live beneath it. Nobody bothers him, and his business partner pays him his share and makes sure he has what he needs. That this lifestyle drives Erik quite insane is besides the point. When the partner relinquishes his ownership of the theater and sells it to Firmin and Andre, he does not sell Erik's rights. Erik still has a right to his salary, a right to his dwelling, and a right to some say in the running of the theater and when LeFevre leaves, he is cut off from all of these rights. Erik has a legitimate grievance. He is secretly tutoring Christine (who's a chorus girl) in how to sing and he falls in love with her. Of course, with the Viscount de Chagney courting Christine, it becomes a love triangle, again, where Erik is the hideously deformed man.

You know what, I've changed my mind. I'm more sympathetic to Quasi. Erik is too strong and intelligent to deserve more sympathy than Quasi (and in spite of his deformity, actually stands a chance with Christine, even though he botches it terribly). But I can't change my vote. That sucks.

Really, these characters are only similar on the surface. When you get down to their motivations, they're very different characters. Quasi is a much more sympathetic character. Erik is a powerful and intelligent anti-hero.

Yes, I've read them both.
Erik is a horrible person who blackmails and threatens a woman out of "love". No matter his lifestory, I cannot sympathize with a person who does something like that (and imo this behaviour is what makes him a monster!). Quasimodo wins by default, because iirc his attraction to Esmerelda never crosses the line into violence.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Like what's already been said, Quasi was handicapped in a variety of ways in the world from the start whereas Erik lived a life before his "handicap" and still was known for his brilliance. Poor ol' Quasi never got that taste of normality, instead spent his life on the outside looking in.
author=InfectionFiles
Like what's already been said, Quasi was handicapped in a variety of ways in the world from the start whereas Erik lived a life before his "handicap" and still was known for his brilliance.

I'm pretty sure the phantom was born horribly disfigured and was a circus freak or something before hiding in the opera.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Oh, I thought this was going to be which one would win in a fight.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=pianotm

Ah, but which?
author=Corfaisus
author=pianotm
Ah, but which?

The Disney adaptation for hunchback, and a cameo appearance in an episode of Tiny Toons Adventures for phantom: http://tinytoons.wikia.com/wiki/Toon_TV
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Shinan
InfectionFiles
Like what's already been said, Quasi was handicapped in a variety of ways in the world from the start whereas Erik lived a life before his "handicap" and still was known for his brilliance.
I'm pretty sure the phantom was born horribly disfigured and was a circus freak or something before hiding in the opera.

Possibly, but there's always been disagreement about that. I've read that he was disfigured by fire at a young age.

Corfaisus
pianotm
Ah, but which?

I've read a few versions. Including this version of The Phantom of the Opera.

For Hunchback, what I've read is by Victor Hugo, but it may have been an abridged version. Before that, I can vaguely recall reading a version, but I was so young, I can't be sure. It may have even been the same version.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
author=pianotm
Shinan
InfectionFiles
Possibly, but there's always been disagreement about that. I've read that he was disfigured by fire at a young age.

That's what I thought, but I could have read an altered or edited version or something, but I recall his face was burned in a fire!
Corfaisus
His own mother couldn't look at him so he ran away at a young age. How young could he have been to burn in a fire and only then would his mother disown him?
Pages: 1