[RM2K3] NEED HELP WITH A STEP COUNTING COMMON EVENT.

Pages: 1
Well, more precisely, I have a bonus effect in one of the game classes that restores HP as the character walks, like 2 HP per step for example. I guess I need to use Key Processing (or Input Password as it's called in RPG Maker 2000) to do so... thing is that I can't figure out how to do it. I know how to handle variables and switches no prob, but this particular thing has been an issue. Gotta need to learn how to do it to work later on the custom menu.

Thanks in advance!
From what I tell...(I don't really use RM2k3) Create a state (condition as rm2k3 calls it, use to VX ACE) that heals 2, make sure it as "Persist after battle" set the HP to recovery, and then under field map 2 and set the steps to 1 (or whatever you'd like) then create a common event, and set it to change state variable 1 (or whatever variable you want. Then just call the event when you need it. It should work. If not then maybe someone else who uses RM2k3 can help.
author=BlackWolf1992
From what I tell...(I don't really use RM2k3) Create a state (condition as rm2k3 calls it, use to VX ACE) that heals 2, make sure it as "Persist after battle" set the HP to recovery, and then under field map 2 and set the steps to 1 (or whatever you'd like) then create a common event, and set it to change state variable 1 (or whatever variable you want. Then just call the event when you need it. It should work. If not then maybe someone else who uses RM2k3 can help.

I appreciate the help. However I did found this tutorial on the matter: http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/rpg2kworld/tutorials/Lytithwynsstepcountertutorial.htm

It uses cycles in common events to count steps. Still testing it to see possible issues but it works fine. Still need to figure out how to use Key Processing for the future.

Still, thanks for the help.
Sorry I couldn't be as helpful. I hope to learn all the RMs.
author=BlackWolf1992
Sorry I couldn't be as helpful. I hope to learn all the RMs.

Don't worry about it. Makers can be pretty different one from another, so it's understandable get a bit lost with the more obscure stuff. I mean, for example, from 2003 to XP the step count was included in the maker itself.
Yeah. Especially since I started with Ace and went backwards haha.

Would you happen to know if it's possible to change the font in RPG Maker 2003? The two fonts on there are murder on my eyes, and I don't see a script menu.
author=BlackWolf1992
Yeah. Especially since I started with Ace and went backwards haha.

Lol, for me it was the opposite in a way: I started with 2000, then I tried using Ace and couldn't get the grasp of it at all, much less the scripting, so I just returned to the old relics for simpletons like me XD
Haha xD I find Ace user frinendly. I can't script either. I could teach you Ace it's pretty easy, if you ever wanted to try it again of course.
Thanks. Perhaps I'll give it a shot after I'm done with the current game. I did consider moving on but I am a bit too far in to start over.

Yeah, I hear ya. Maybe you can teach me how to use RM2K3 sometime haha.
If you need any help let me know. I'll be glad to lend a hand. =)
Changing fonts are made easy with the Hyper Patcher from Cherry. I'm fairly certain this doesn't work with the newest English release of rm2k3 due to some new (pretty awesome) font fixes.
http://cherrytree.at/cms/lang/en/download/?did=10

As for counting steps, it's very simple. First, make six variables, two each for X, Y, and Map. X1, Y1, and Map1 is where you were in the past, while X2, Y2, and Map2 are where you are now. Then make a Parallel Process Common Event that does the following.

Memorize Location to X2, Y2, Map2.
Branch if Map2 = Map1
<> Branch if X2 <> X1
<><> Memorize Location to X1, Y1, Map1
<><> (Do whatever you want to do each time a step is taken)
<> Else
<><> Branch if Y2 <> Y1
<><><> Memorize Location to X1, Y1, Map1
<><><> (Do whatever you want to do each time a step is taken)
<><> End
<> End
Else
<> Memorize Location to X1, Y1, Map1
End

It is recommended that you have a Trigger Switch for your Common Event so that you can turn off the step counter if necessary. I also recommend that the (Do whatever you want to do each time a step is taken) is a call to another common event that handles all of the step processes. That way you don't clutter up your step counting code and you won't have to duplicate work.

Let me know if that makes sense.
It does. Thanks. I made that very same event, found a very old tutorial searching with google that listed the same structure. It did advice to make a "Wait" command at the end in order to avoid lagging the game.

Though it didn't mention to use different events to divide the tasks, I'll give a shot with that.

Thanks for the help!
Good call on the Wait. I totally forgot about that. Glad it worked otherwise!
Pages: 1