TIME TO GET TO WORK!

Pages: 1
So the final exam has been taken, the college semester has come to a end and now you know what happens for me! (well, you guys don't since I am still neophyte here...) Its time to get to work... on top of the 6 hour drawing sessions I do daily, and I've started by deciding to open with a few questions I need answered. Now allow me t start by saying I'm a noob, at the bottle of the barrel when it comes to programming, the closest I've actually gotten to doing it is when I did web designing i class; both with and without dreamweaver. So, I don't expect anything that I'm about to ask to happen instantly or over night (especially since I'm neophyte at pixel art as well.)

With that said...

How detailed can one get into coding RPG Maker MV? to be more specific, how detailed can one change the combat system? Every game I've played that used rpg maker, while it might've changed the UI, seem to keep the same combat system. The reason I ask this? I wish to change it into a Turn based tactical system, now let me get a little in detail.

Final Fantasy tactics (greatest game on ps1 by the way!) is the ideal combat system I would like to immolate, with my own little additions to the ui of course, but its combat system is the perfect example.

Other examples that fit the Idea of what I want is Shadowrun Returns/Dragonfall/Hong Kong (I haven't played Hong Kong, but I'm confident that its in the same system just improved like how dragon fall improved returns vastly.) Another prime example of what I want is Divinity original sin (great game by the way.

While those two fit the bill as example of what I want to do with the combat system, the thing from those two that I want to "borrow " that isn't in FFT is that I want all combat to remain in the open world and not limited to a few arrangement of cells (unless you know, combat is happening within a confined space/indoors like a castle or a sex dungeon kekekekeke). Another example of this would be the Baldur's Gate Trilogy, how combat is happening there, just not in real time like in BG.

Other things I want to take is DOS's ability to affect the environment in and out of combat, but that is currently not as important, i need the main play first.

Moving onto the other components that need to take into account, the ideas of it being party or solo based... I'm not sure due to the nature of the game itself. Ok, I'm just going to say it... in the game you're a dragon that has just awaken, so right now the concept of having a actual party is being internally debated due to that fact. I can't say no more without spoiling or giving my ideas away to whatever idea thief that may be lurking out there with x more years experience at this than I have and will have it out faster than me.

My other question was about had drawing and coloring sprites, and then scanning them into the computer to digitally bring them into RPG maker, but I guess that isn't possible based on another post I read.

So, please, share your knowledge with me, and yes I know that I'm taking on a big idea with just a slingshot, but I'm hoping for the best and await your responses and while I wait, time to get my feet wet by going through the rpgmaker tutorial.
Granted, I'm working in VXace, not MV, but here are my thoughts:

1) It doesn't look like there's a tactics system made for MV yet, although VXAce does have one. In terms of programming, it's just a matter of time before someone talented with JS puts one together. I've been told that JS is more flexible than Ruby, so I would imagine it will happen in the next few months. But if you're a JS wiz, go for it yourself. You'll be a hero to many if you can get it to work.

2) Having a party of one is totally do-able. There's no requirement that you need a party of 4 or anything. You'll have to work on making combat interesting, since the strategic possibilities will be limited. But, sure, go for it.

3) The odds of your idea being stolen are next to nil. And even if the "Dragon As Protagonist" idea is taken, I'm sure your mapping/graphics/story will be better, right? So don't worry about providing details if it gets you help.

4) Not sure who told you that custom graphics can't be imported into RPGMaker. That's just flat-out wrong. If you draw something, scan it in, or make in photoshop, etc., you can plop it in. There are plenty of plugins that assist with that.

5) I giggled at the idea of you taking FFT combat system and lighting it on fire. More combat systems should be immolated.
author=djbeardo
Granted, I'm working in VXace, not MV, but here are my thoughts:

1) It doesn't look like there's a tactics system made for MV yet, although VXAce does have one. In terms of programming, it's just a matter of time before someone talented with JS puts one together. I've been told that JS is more flexible than Ruby, so I would imagine it will happen in the next few months. But if you're a JS wiz, go for it yourself. You'll be a hero to many if you can get it to work.

2) Having a party of one is totally do-able. There's no requirement that you need a party of 4 or anything. You'll have to work on making combat interesting, since the strategic possibilities will be limited. But, sure, go for it.

3) The odds of your idea being stolen are next to nil. And even if the "Dragon As Protagonist" idea is taken, I'm sure your mapping/graphics/story will be better, right? So don't worry about providing details if it gets you help.

4) Not sure who told you that custom graphics can't be imported into RPGMaker. That's just flat-out wrong. If you draw something, scan it in, or make in photoshop, etc., you can plop it in. There are plenty of plugins that assist with that.

5) I giggled at the idea of you taking FFT combat system and lighting it on fire. More combat systems should be immolated.

Thanks for the reply..

1. I was told MV and Ace are close to similar engines and in commands and what not, so wouldn't it be possible to convert it to MV? Also, I know absolutely nothing about coding, this was all going to be a learn as I go situation.

2. It is not the question of whether or not its doable, I've solo'd FFT many times in fact, its more a question of balance. Something that is further down the lines that I will need to think about.

3. Aw, thanks lol.

4. Sorry, that sentence is actually missing the key word, I have a habit of doing that, thinking while writing and typing and actually thinking I did type or write something like a word, or sentences and actually not doing it. The word missing between sprites and the comma is "Traditionally" Doing it with paper and pencil and and then just scanning it in

5. Its hands down one of my favorite combat systems, and if there a way that I can play with it, better believe that I want too!
The coding is different to each other, so you'll have to wait until someone either remakes it in MV or hire someone to make one for you.

Ace uses Ruby code for scripts, where-as MV uses javascript. Both are pretty different so just plug-n-playing ain't gonna cut it, unfortunately.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Must. Resist. Urge. To plug. My tactics game.

In more seriousness, the tactics script that I know of for VX Ace is... interesting to use. I'm not sure if it's for beginners.
Pages: 1