CHARACTER DESIGN!

Pages: first 12 next last
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Let's talk character designs!

I'll start out with just some basic advice and links; we can turn this into a “show off and get critique” megathread if y'all are into that. I just want to help people with the junk I've learned doing design for various projects.

The very start- Brainstorming!

Before you ever draw a single stroke, you need to determine your character basics- not even the details like age, background, and the like, but things like “Who is this person in the story?” and “What themes am I going for with this character?” What character traits are the most important for them?

During this process, it's good to collect images that express these traits. The tutorial linked there mostly collected images of people; I tend to go for objects, clothing, and occasionally pictures with a particular palette.

The first steps- Silhouettes and posing!

Once you have a basic idea of who you're working with, it's time to start with the most basic element of character design: the silhouette. In a really well-designed ensemble, everyone will have a distinctly different sihouette. This can range from cartoonish and exaggerated to more understated.

Most likely, your first instinct is going to be to make your characters fairly average in body type, unless they're some kind of comic relief. Break out of this mindset! There's a stunning variety of shapes and sizes in humanity (to say nothing of what one gets when nonhumans are involved). This holds true with the athletic types you're probably working with if you're doing a video game: just check out these Olympic athletes!

Think about the character's body: is there a part or set of parts you want to emphasize? How can you convey their themes and mood with body shape? For example, a very strong, solid character might have a thicker, rectangular silhouette, bringing to mind a wall or boulder; an unpleasant and standoffish character might have a sharper and thinner shape, like spikes.

Would it be helpful to exaggerate a particular body part? Think about what associations we make with various parts- feet, hips, hands, shoulders, etc. You can use these to influence how your audience perceives each character. To continue with the two above examples, the stronger character might have exaggerated shoulders and legs- to give the impression they've got a really solid “base”- while the unpleasant one might have long, clawlike fingers and spidery limbs.

Yo here's a big ol' RAR file with all the stuff I use for really basic character design. It's got body types, faces, and a well-researched set of diagrams comparing the basic appearances of human ethnicities.

Once you have an idea what sort of body type you're using, it's time to think about poses.

A basic knowledge of body language is extremely good here, so you can quickly indicate traits like who's confident, who's open, who's shy, etc. Consider also how active your character is- do they use a lot of grand, sweeping gestures, or do they keep mostly still? Are they upright or slouchy?

Here's a really good video on character poses in general

One thing I like to do sometimes is to act out character movement, just to get a better idea of the feel and placement. This is especially good if you either pose in front of a mirror or have someone take a picture of you. (It may help that I tend to be kind of a hands-on learner and also have some training in martial arts and dance; IDK if anyone without those details would benefit as well.)

The icing- Costumes!

Obviously, the first thing you need to consider here is the setting. Modern, historical, futuristic? What kind of climate does the character inhabit? Are there any hazards they need to dress for? A character on the steppes or the prarie will have different dress needs from one in a jungle or a cave.

What is your character's occupation? A farmer's dress will be extremely different from a librarian's. Are there any tools of the trade they need to have on hand? Do they wear something to communicate their position? (A ruler's crown, a policeman's badge, a British judge's wig and robe, an executioner's hood.)

Do they need something that's easy to move around in, or are they comfortable with something that looks fancier but limits their movement? Do they wear a lot of accessories, or do they prefer simplicity?

Your character's costuming should accentuate their silhouette- paulrons or shoulder pads for a silhouette with wide shoulders; capes, flowing scarves, or long hair to accentuate a character who moves around a lot; a tall headdress or hairstyle to accentuate a tall character.

I do a lot of fantasy and historical design, and this is my favorite reference to use. I can't vouch for complete authenticity, but I like using it as a springboard for designing things from similar settings, or just to get a few ideas for basic garment styles.

That's about all I can think of at the moment; please feel free to ask any questions you may have (especially for clarification!) and/or link any tutorials you've found useful.
Great stuff! I'll have to check out those links later~ Sounds like there are some useful things. There wasn't much here that is different than my own systems, but I can see this being very helpful for people. :)

One thing that I really enjoy doing is picking a theme element for the overall cast. Like, say, colours, animals, etc. That way you can have a consistency between the core cast that allows for variety as well. (animals is particularly fun because you can get a lot of variety with that theme!) Because I think it's really important to consider all the characters and how they blend with each other and not just their personality and world.

I wish more people would take into account having variety in their character's silhouettes. This is one of the most basic character design things taught, yet I feel a lot of people don't even consider this. You should be able to tell your cast apart by only their outlines! I'm glad to see it mentioned here.

While I think it's fun to match characters to their personalities, I also think it's fun to deliberately spite it. Like having the spindly, sharp, long character actually be the kindest one - or the hulking shield-build character as support. IDK! I like that disconnect and think it's fun to play with. xD

--

I don't have any direct links, but I will say that browsing websites or magazines that are typically the sort you see at a hairdresser is GREAT when you're looking for some inspiration on hair cuts.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Yeah, I've done a few designs based around themes, and it can be really fun. :D

It feels like the worst for varying silhouettes are ladytype characters; a lot of people are complete slaves to the idea that these characters can only look one way, and that way is "whatever is hot right now." Though even with that, there's so much variation that nobody even bothers with!

If I were to venture a guess as to why we don't get more sillo variation in general, it'd be that it ends up being more work to do all the different sprites/models. With less variation, you can C&P a bunch of stuff. It just ends up looking really dull and flat. :(

In the more amateur end, it's probably also that beginner artists only know how to draw one body, and aren't confident enough to bust out of that, because drawing something different looks totally wrong.
Yeah, I think that that is a huge part of it. People don't feel comfortable drawing different body types. (ESPECIALLY artists influenced by anime, because let's face it... anime. If you shave most anime casts bald you wouldn't know who was who anymore haha) But, like anything in art, it just takes diving in and doing it to get any better.

The sprite thing is interesting. While I do think that also could be part of the reason, particularly when they start with the sprites and design off them and not the other way around, variation in body and design can go a LONG way in making the sprites easier to tell apart. I've played games where I couldn't tell who was who in sprite form because they all looked the same.

I would LOVE to see more games step outside of conventional beauty for their characters. I love characters with flaws, inside and out.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
Drawing different body types is often avoided because it's hard. It really requires an understanding of how fat/musculature works in the body, and then you have to figure out how to bend it to you will.

That, and I think there is a perception that any body type that isn't "macho man" or "curvy/skinny female" isn't preferable to audiences, especially in a game where people want to live out fantasies, but it's so unessecarily limiting, and you kind of pander to present notions as to what body types represent of a person. You should notice that most protagonists in media are top-heavy and well-toned in musculature, while villains are cast in some kind of out-of-shape form, especially in some of Disney's animated movies.

Also fuck anime style. It's such a rigid-ass piece of shit that it's no wonder a lot of people can't get a diverse amount of expressions from it.
Sooz
author=Ratty524
Drawing different body types is often avoided because it's hard. It really requires an understanding of how fat/musculature works in the body, and then you have to figure out how to bend it to you will.

The funny thing is, there's a TON of good tuts out there on how to draw a lot of different body types. (Plus, of course, life drawing in general!)

Also fuck anime style. It's such a rigid-ass piece of shit that it's no wonder a lot of people can't get a diverse amount of expressions from it.

It's no better or worse than any other style, honestly. It depends more on how well one understands the basis of the elements. I've seen quite a few works that have a pretty great variety of designs- even facially. It's sometimes a more subtle difference, but it's not like anime style is impossible to work with.
Yeah, any entertainment media plays into fantasy-escapism and that hurts it in A LOT OF WAYS, not just in character design. >< It's annoying.

Anime is stale (especially low budget stuff they churn out quickly), but NA cartoons are so riddled with stereotyped designs it's painful. Disney, like you mentioned, especially. Dear cartoons, why is the fat guy the dumb one 90% of the time, why is the girl-nerd always tall-skinny-unkempt and in glasses, when you get a kid in a wheelchair, why is he (and it's almost always a he) always the brains? The fat girl is either super gentle or a bully and there's no inbetween. So often cartoons only add diverse shapes to their characters just to rely on stereotyping them. It's boring and a little (a lot) insulting.

This is different than building your characters to match their personality, like Sooz mentioned, it's the opposite - taking a personality and boringly slapping a stereotype on it. Blarg
author=MakioKuta
I would LOVE to see more games step outside of conventional beauty for their characters. I love characters with flaws, inside and out.

IDK look at all that SAME FACE -o-

(does that one guy have bees for a beard? Best character)
Ratty524
author=Sooz
It's no better or worse than any other style, honestly. It depends more on how well one understands the basis of the elements. I've seen quite a few works that have a pretty great variety of designs- even facially. It's sometimes a more subtle difference, but it's not like anime style is impossible to work with.
To be a bit more clear, I don't outright hate the style and I'm aware of the many variations that exist. I especially love the art direction of One Piece, for instance, because it actually takes the style and warps it in a way that looks very distinct and varied. My comment was directed more towards the "generic, budget" style of anime where jaws don't move in response to mouth movement, eye pupils so big and eyebrows so less prominent that expressions kind of look odd if you push them, and an overall "template" kind of feel to it where the only distinguishable shapes with these characters come from their clothes and hairstyles.

It works damn well for something as cheap as Japan's animation industry, but there always feels like there is something left unexplored with it, in terms of range of expressions/body types/etc.

EDIT: By the way, why isn't this an article?
Sooz
author=Ratty524
My comment was directed more towards the "generic, budget" style of anime where jaws don't move in response to mouth movement, eye pupils so big and eyebrows so less prominent that expressions kind of look odd if you push them, and an overall "template" kind of feel to it where the only distinguishable shapes with these characters come from their clothes and hairstyles.

It works damn well for something as cheap as Japan's animation industry, but there always feels like there is something left unexplored with it, in terms of range of expressions/body types/etc.

I just super hate when people poo-poo any style as a whole based on its worst examples. I mean, just check out this show: distinct body and facial types, and that's just within a range of high school girls! (The face shape difference is not terribly noticeable, but the features are def. distinct!)

Because I don't like doing new things and I've never posted an article before. >_>
Ratty524
author=Sooz
Because I don't like doing new things and I've never posted an article before. >_>

It's pretty similar to posting a thread. If not exact except your OP stays on one page.

The thing is, though, is that the worst examples are common, so why would I not?

I'll check out that anime, though, like the fact that it actually portrays women with differing body types other than "sticks with disproportionately big boobs and sticks with no boobs" is a huge selling point for me right now.
The athletes body link is very pretty to look at! I love all the different body types~

This is inspiring me to get better at drawing different body types so thanks! <3

Sooz
author=Ratty524
The thing is, though, is that the worst examples are common, so why would I not?

Because 90% of EVERYTHING is crap.

No style should be judged on good OR bad expressions of it alone, because really, no style should be judged, per se. A style is neither good nor bad, it's just a way to depict things.

Also yeah that anime is kind of like what if Azumanga Daioh talked about sex more. And had a pretty heavy titty focus. So if you like both Azumanga Daioh and titties, you'll probably like it.

ETA:
author=Gourd_Clae
The athletes body link is very pretty to look at! I love all the different body types~

This is inspiring me to get better at drawing different body types so thanks! <3

Hell yeah! Draw all the bodies! :DDD

I have learned from life drawing that fat people are SO WONDERFUL to draw. I highly recommend it.

Also, to help y'all along, here's some tuts I have on drawing fat ladies:
Number one
Number two (Warning for nipples in this one; don't check it in nipple-unfriendly areas!)
This is pretty informative, definitely consider submitting as an article.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
I'm still a fledgling designer and comic artist. Nowhere near pro yet. However, I will stand up for stereotypes.
They are there to support or subvert the expectations of a viewer. Considering the mass amounts of media out there, you as a viewer are given yet another host of characters to associate with; and stereotypes fill in a lot of mental blanks.
Ok, he's the big strong guy, got it. No thought needed...

To a degree, it's cool to think outside the box. However, you risk alienating the mass audiences. The whole idea of stereotypes is to unite people with quick and easy understanding.

One Piece was mentioned; Luffy is agile, and lithe build. Zorro is a strong baddass--muscular and glaring eyes. Chopper is the adorable one, so he's tiny and cute with all those circles (the most eye-pleasing shape). and Ussop has a long nose; a liar.

It's not necessary to fully rely on stereotypes, but they are a very powerful tool in character design.

btw, great topic!

Edit: on the body type stuff. There's a very potent reason behind skinny Disney ladies or anime gals. Or chiselled male leads. Sex appeal.
Sex sells. It's ridiculous, but hey, it sells! It's appealing to the eye, and that's the bottom dollar.

All this said to counterpoint a so-far one sided debate on a couple key compenents.

editedit:
Friend poses that 'stereotype' is the wrong word. Better to use Trope; as Stereotype would be an over simplification and over use of a certain trope to get the same idea across.

editeditedit: Found this;
http://artreferenceblog.tumblr.com/?og=1
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Ahh, this is a cool topic! I know so little about designing characters from scratch. I always tend to forget about silhouettes in particular and just stick with a generic "medium" build instead of a mix of bulky, thin, tall, short ones. And I should try a wider variety of poses, too...

Thanks for the advice :D I'll have to check out all these links soon.
Sooz
Yeah, you really have to start out in the design process thinking, "OK, what can I do to change this person's body up?"

Once you get the hang of it, it can get a little more automatic. :D
Sooz
OK IT'S AN ARTICLE NOW I HOPE Y'ALL ARE HAPPY
author=Sooz
OK IT'S AN ARTICLE NOW I HOPE Y'ALL ARE HAPPY

:D!!
Pages: first 12 next last